Volvo V90 Cross Country 19 0.80%
Volvo XC60 21 0.88%
Voters: 2387. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2017, 23:01   #226
Senior - BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2017. EDIT: It's the Jeep Compass

For me it was a toss up between Hexa and Compass.
If I were to buy a car today, it would be Hexa. It offers so much value for money if someone is looking for a car that is spacious, well built, safe and comfortable. Though I am not a fan of lower end models, the XE variant in Hexa is ridiculously value for money. There is no way I would look at any other car if I am to buy one today. The Hexa fits my requirements to the 'T'!

However for the race to be Team-Bhp car of the year, I think Compass beats it. For all it's brilliance I feel the Hexa is more evolutionary than revolutionary. It is basically a better version of Aria one step forward (although that is a big step) specially for Tata. And I am slightly disappointed that Tata decided to give Aria the Hexa treatment and not Safari. I hope next year when the new SUV from Tata comes, they keep the same standards and we will have a car worthy of next year's tag.

For now it is the compass. It is well built, drives well, has great engine options, good quality and top notch safety equipment (albiet only on the top end ).
It is admittedly a bit on the pricier side for it's size, but it has shown us indians what a well built Compact SUV should be like at this price point. It also proves that if you have a good product, there is market for it today in India, no matter what company it is!
If FCA can sell these numbers in this price segment, it proves that any company can as long as the product is right and also that our market had matured to admire a good product. In a way compass kind of sets a trend and a benchmark. The competition now has to better it. I hope we see more of such well engineered and good to drive cars in future.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 00:44   #227
JLS
BHPian

Verna for me.
Hyundai has worked on ride quality, styling has improved and it has retained its smooth and torquey engine. What has been added is most important - a reliable 6 speed AT at a reasonable price. So far only Vento and Rapid were available with diesel AT, and there were reliability concerns. Verna was offered with a stale 4 speed AT.
I think 6 speed AT is a game changer for Verna, which is its USP over main competitors City and Ciaz. Verna diesel engine is smoother than city's diesel engine and more powerful than Ciaz diesel engine - more practical and drivable.
If I am in a market for a mid-size sedan today, Verna will be a top contender.
Every year, for T-BHP COTY, I have been putting my vote where I will like to put my money, hence voted for Verna here.
Lets see how it spans out, hoping to see Verna at a respectable 3rd/4th position here, but sales number wise, I think it will be close to leadership position in its segment in coming year.

JLS
JLS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 06:51   #228
BHPian

OMG! I am surprised by the votes for the COMPASS. It was not on my top 5 list. I voted for the Hexa as for almost the same money I get a proper 7 seater and a cheaper to maintain vehicle. Overall the quality of the Hexa is great and offers more space and comfort. Though the COMPASS has other goodies I feel it's more claustrophobic on the inside. Personally, I wouldn't put so much money on that car.
Jude300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 09:26   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
From the opening post:

This is also why the EcoSport & City Facelifts aren't part of our COTY.
Thanks for clarifying. I had asked the same question about Octavia vRS few pages back. Maybe I am nitpicking: but why is Maruti Dzire in the race; is it not a facelift?

In the current list, I am torn between the Hexa and the Compass. But I am going to vote for the Hexa for its practicality.
Old 11th December 2017, 09:32   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post
but why is Maruti Dzire in the race; is it not a facelift?
It is a completely new generation product built on the Baleno platform and hence qualifies.
octane_100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 10:05   #231
Senior - BHPian

I was contemplating between Tata Hexa and Jeep Compass, both have almost everything that I consider necessary.
Hexa doesn't have a 4X4 AT, while the Compass doesn't have a AT option in diesel.
I sincerely hope that by the time my next car has to be bought probably begining of 2019 at least one of the two have a AT and 4X4 combination.

Rahul
Old 11th December 2017, 10:16   #232
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Compass !

Even though Hexa was a very very close 2nd, Jeep Compass came in as a game changer of sorts in the 15-25 lakhs SUV segment. It hit hard on the entire range, from the lowest contender, the Creta to the most expensive Tucson and a lot of other players in between such as the XUV (Mahindra had to announce huge discounts on XUV to stay alive).

Although, the compass misses on few essential and few nice-to-have features compared to the feature loaded Tucson, it makes up by the lower price tag and awesome build quality and overall fantastic packaging.

The only thing FCA needs to be better at is the after sales service quality and network, which is a stronghold of Hyundai and even Tata & Mahindara are better at it, compared to FCA's current status.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 11:35   #233
BHPian

Voted for the Tata Hexa.

The Hexa has everything I want as a large family mile muncher to travel across the country in comfort. Nice all black interiors, 7 seats, classy music system, 4 wheel drive, capable engine, awesome ride quality over bad roads, good service back up and abuse friendly construction makes it a very impressive all round package.
Old 11th December 2017, 11:50   #234
BHPian

My vote is for the Jeep Compass. From the time of its launch, it has been pulling my heartstrings but my mind is trying hard to not let me sell my Creta which is only 2 years old and so far my mind is still winning. Let's see who will win unless by chance some other sweetheart sweeps me of my feet
Old 11th December 2017, 12:05   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

• A great looking Dzire…
Seriously, I am unable to comprehend the fascination for the new Dzire's looks. Sure, the previous generations of Dzires were all ugly, and I think, this one is ugly too.

The new Swift looks handsome, but you can only spoil it by pasting an over-sized chrome strip around the mouth.

Ah, yes my vote is for the Jeep Compass. That one is the best looking SUV (car?) ever to be launched in India.
Old 11th December 2017, 12:46   #236
BHPian

It was quite close for me between these 4:
  • Maruti Dzire
  • Tata Nexon
  • Jeep Compass
  • Tata Hexa

All 4 have earned the reputation and possibly set the ground for the competition. I had to adopt a process of elimination to arrive at 1.
  • Maruti Dzire:
    - Not taking any credit away, a thoroughly updated sedan, yet a car that has been around for long now
    - The initial steering column related recalls, indicate a slippage in quality checks

• Tata Nexon:
    - Took an eternity to hatch (just missed the 3rd auto-expo by a whisker)
    - Despite being a worthy contender, a little early to bet big, with just 3 months of sales

• Jeep Compass:
    - Almost hit the nail, but for those initial niggles reported and the showroom / service center related fiasco. How people can spoil a brand in the early years, if not carefully attended to!

• Tata Hexa:
    - The numbers don't talk big! If India can't accept this car from the Tatas, then we wouldn't be giving them their fair share of credit.

So for me, Tata Hexa, it is!
Old 11th December 2017, 13:28   #237
BHPian

A bit tough choice this time around.

1. Dzire, we know Maruti Suzuki has such a dominance that whatever car they make, they are able to sell in loads. But Dzire is surely not a success due to this factor, it’s very genuine well rounded sedan, has its merits and a strong case to be the car of the year. (As far as sales are concerned, it’s car of the year by a huge margin).

2. If there was an award for Company of the year, I would have voted for Tata Motors. Three well made attractive cars up there in a year, a big feat for a company which was till very recently known for its lethargic attitude towards everything about cars.
- Tigor wins in design aspect especially the exterior, on other fronts just about above average.
- Hexa, a bold move to introduce complete face-lift out of a complete market dud. Still may not look like a market success from competition point of view (in terms of monthly sales) but for Tata, it sure is a great success. A good contender for car of the year.
- Nexon comes from the concept floors straight to assembly line. A bold attractive design catching attention of the young generation who otherwise will not ever think of cars and Tata together. Exterior design, interior ambience, engine, transmission, drivability, ride etc., all up there. A very close runner up for me.

3. Finally, Compass compels you to forget everything else. It attracts with its elegant yet very Jeep design and generates a very strong desirability. Good engine options, excellent road manners especially high speed handling and comfort, a global product manufactured in India having five star safety ratings takes my vote for 2017 car of the year.
Old 11th December 2017, 14:06   #238
BHPian

Voted for the Jeep Compass

Looks: Incredible
Drive: Fantastic
Safety: Top-notch
Ride: Acceptable
Handling: Superb
Fit & Finish: Excellent
Pricing: Killer
Character: Truck-loads
Old 11th December 2017, 14:11   #239
BHPian

I have not driven none of the cars, but the following cars created the buzz, I had a close look at the following.
1. Verna 17
2. Hexa
3. Compass.

Among the above three, i had seen a new Hexa at a family function, I must admit that I was impressed at this vehicle. I, personally, am not tempted at these large MPV/SUVs. But Hexa is notches above the usual TATA. Tatas are firing on all right cylinders with Tiago, Nexon, Hexa and new electric buzz.
The Compass rightfully created the buzz for a thoroughbred SUV at acceptable price in India.
My vote goes to Compass for the category defining debut.
Old 11th December 2017, 14:17   #240
Team-BHP Support

Hexa for me.

There are some very competent cars on that list, some that probably make a better case for themselves strictly on product/value terms.

What made me vote for the Hexa is the amount of effort Tata has put into the car to deliver an absolutely top-notch product. From taxi-grade cars that most private car buyers overlooked, to an aspirational product that can compete with other world-class offerings. A literal generation shift, and a car Tata finally stepped up with and arrived in the game.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th December 2017 at 14:21. Reason: Grammar and rephrasing
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks