Volvo V90 Cross Country 19 0.80%
Volvo XC60 21 0.88%
Voters: 2387. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2017, 17:32   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2017. EDIT: It's the Jeep Compass

Close call between Nexon and Hexa for me. Still can't believe these are built by Tata!
Voted for Hexa because as a product I believe it's the best in its respective segment while Ecosport may be on par with Nexon or even better. If I needed a Suv, Hexa would have been my 1st choice.

Last edited by harry10 : 8th December 2017 at 17:34.
harry10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 17:32   #77
Senior - BHPian

I have voted for Nexon to appreciate Tata for their efforts to come out of the Indica shell and develop their own engine.
Old 8th December 2017, 17:32   #78
BHPian

Very tough choice this time. There were many new launches and many good cars in the list. My shortlist for the vote - Dzire, Verna, Compass & Hexa.

I knocked off Dzire and Verna as coming from MS and Hyundai. we expect them to set the benchmark and lead (together they command close to 70% Market share which makes the competent cars from other manufacturers even more worthy of appreciation).

I am still undecided between Hexa and compass. However, voted for tata basis bigger size, excellent automatic transmission, more seats and good off-road capability (besides the Indian sentiment).

Although, if it comes to actual buying, I would most likely choose Compass. My wife loves it (I have observed compass is very popular amongst ladies - a big win for FCA if you ask me, considering who decides our final pick )
Old 8th December 2017, 17:33   #79
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Compass it is!

1) The only SUV that I ever desired (apart from the Porsche Cayenne obviously!)
2) 174 BHP at 22 lakhs! Sheer value for money! Even VW/Skoda have failed to do such things with their SUV's!
3) An SUV having dynamics relatable to the average sedan? What more do guys who love machines with low COG want?!

PS: IF the Skoda Octavia VRS was in contention, it would have licked the poll clean! Besides, when was the last time BHPians ruined their keyboards with saliva?!
Old 8th December 2017, 17:35   #80
Senior - BHPian

Nexon:
- Overall a good looker. Rather it’s got its own style statement in its segment to make.
- Segment unique drive modes that satisfies the driver which the competition lacks.
- Potent Diesel engine which churns out good power and torque figures and promising drivability.
- Exterior build and painty quality is commendable.
- Decent handler and well behaved on road.
- Last but not the least, it’s our very own Tata. They’ve pointed themselves in the right direction ever since the launch of Tiago, Tigor, Hexa & Nexon. TBHP’s ICOTY for Tiago previously stands as a testimony to what Tata has achieved. I hope they continue the best and not rest on their laurels yet.

Bring it on Tata - waiting for a hardcore SUV to replace the legendary tusker Safari.
Old 8th December 2017, 17:41   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
[*]As has always been the case, we insist there will only be ONE Team-BHP Car of the Year. Why? Simply because we don't believe in handing out an award for the "door pocket of the year" or "foglamp of the year" (as examples). Some award ceremonies have 25 awards to ensure there's one for each car manufacturer (aka advertiser) in India. We have no such inclination, and will only focus on the best, most important new car of 2017.[/list]Looking forward to your votes, and also the reasoning behind your choice. Thanks!
And we can't thank you enough for this. One car of the year and everytime it's the most popular unbiased polling option to announce it.

Below was the list of awards announced by a media company (AutoPortal). Verna as the overall winner, City as the best upgrade? Can't people who upgrade select Verna. WRV is a crossover, Ecosport an SUV and Nexon is the best design- all in the same segment? Compass, Tiguan and Hexa shares awards too. Can't get anymore shameless than such awards stunts.

Car of the year - Hyundai Verna.

Best Compact Sedan - Maruti Suzuki DZire.
Best Upgrade Award - Honda City.

Best Compact Sedan - Maruti Suzuki DZire.
Best hatchback - Maruti Suzuki Ignis.
Best variant award - Maruti Suzuki Baleno RS

Best Crossover - Honda WRV
Best SUV - Ford Ecosport.
Best Design award - TATA Nexon.

Best premium SUV - Jeep Compass.
Best Luxury SUV - Volkswagen Tiguan.
Best 4*4 - TATA Hexa.

Best luxury car - BMW 5 series.
Best Performance Award - Audi S5.
Best Supercar - Nissan GTR.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th December 2017 at 17:44.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 17:52   #82
BHPian

Voted for Nexon. Tata has dared to be really different in terms of their design, the interiors are holding up well basis all the reviews, the quality department seems to be getting on track, the super audio system, and the price point.

How i wished Tigor had a better engine, it would be in my parking right now and i would have happily voted for it.
Old 8th December 2017, 18:01   #83
Team-BHP Support

In the last few years there were many averages cars and a few standout models, but its all different this year! The list is peppered with so many quality options - starting from the slow movers to the blockbusters. I really liked the new XC60, the Kodiaq has something so pleasing about it and rightly doing pretty well in its segment, the Passat even though won't do any favours VW's sales chart, is really a great car. Tata is rightly getting back on the map with the Hexa and Nexon, and finally Maruti managed to make the superhit Dzire look a bit desirable.

But among this accomplished line-up, there is one car which really gave that man-machine connection. Its not perfect, interiors are just ok, and its not big but still looks brawny. What it got is loads of character and attitude, and the ability to give that emotional connect - the Jeep Compass is my car of the year!
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 18:03   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Jeep Compass and I have literally put my money on it! At the time when I booked it in June 2018 I had no idea what it would be priced at, but when I saw the car it was love at first sight. This is also one car that me and my wife converged on very quickly. On all other options she would be North and I would be South. The Compass sure has a way of pleasing the fair maidens.
The appeal of the Jeep Compass is uniform and it is garnering decent success inspite of FCA's track record in India.
Old 8th December 2017, 18:03   #85
BHPian

I've voted for Hexa. I find that it is hard to invest and develop a muv in India and that to compete with the nightly Innova for success. Tata has done just that, it is an amazing all rounder. Come to think of it, it may not be a first choice for many enthusiasts but it'll definitely not disappoint any one of them it if comes to it. A great all rounder.
Old 8th December 2017, 18:05   #86
BHPian

Cars may come and cars may go, fun to drive may vary by person, unique features are cropping up dime a dozen. But one thing that none of the cars in the above list have is brand / position. Except one. The DZire.

Think about it. It's been close to a decade (? ) since they launched the original car and it's just a freight train on steroids. Nothing comes even remotely close to catching up to its numbers. We can keep harping on thin sheet metal, uninspiring engines and all that. But, for the masses, it's generally the peace of mind, a car that can be repaired anywhere and great mileage that matters. Hence, my COTY.
Old 8th December 2017, 18:12   #87
Senior - BHPian

I voted for the Nexon, though I chose the TUV over it recently. Reasons as under:

a. Tata Motors knew they didn't have a model in the segment but took time to develop a good product

b. They built on the Zest / Bolt platform, which had the Tata basics right: space and comfort. They didn't waste time and cost on a new platform. Also, unlike Honda, they didn't try to stretch the Tiago / Tigor platform!

c. They developed competent engines: both petrol and diesel! These are clearly class-leading engines in the segment in terms of performance, though they are three-cylinder engines.

d. They priced it well. They undercut everything from Ecosport to WR-V to i20 Active to Etios Cross etc etc and also offer tangible extras over the regular hatchbacks like bigger and wider wheels instead of just plastic cladding.

The only criticisms: somewhat poor low speed ride (though handling is quite good for such a tall car), the slightly overdone styling (again all the suave-looking Tatas of the past didn't sell!) and the odd positioning of the variants. The XE gets ABS and airbags but to get rear wiper / rear demister and rear seat headrests you have to buy the XZ!
architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 18:15   #88
Senior - BHPian

Voted for TATA Tigor.

- Particular variant of interest is AMT which was launched in November.
- A practical compact sedan with killer looks, a superb stock ICE system, a large boot space and with the AMT, a comfortable city commuter as well.
- Feels solid, safe compared to rivals. Quality levels at par with competition if not better.
Old 8th December 2017, 18:17   #89
Senior - BHPian

I think the new Dzire is so good that it could have been a hit had it been launched by a lesser manufacturer, which I believe wouldn't have been the case with earlier iterations. In my view it is definitely the best car in its segment and what an important segment. So it has my vote.
Old 8th December 2017, 18:17   #90
Senior - BHPian

Once I saw the PM from GTO, the Compass, Hexa and the Nexon was what I thought of. Kudos to Tata for winning round one.

Jeep Compass it is for me. This is one SUV that tugs at your heart like nothing else. Yes the rear for three abreast is not possible, but who cares. Sadly the diesel automatic is not available as yet. That would be one perfect package.

Love the overall handling, engine(diesel) and the awesome appeal. It is one package that will be hard to beat.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed