Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2019, 14:29   #151
R_R
BHPian

re: The Jeep Compass Trailhawk. EDIT: Launched @ 26.8 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
BTW, just in case folks are not aware, the Trailhawk does NOT get a traditional low range transfer case. All that the "4WD Low" switch does is to lock the auto transmission in 1st gear (does not allow downshifting) which in itself is of a fairly low ratio, so as to emulate a low range gear box!! So much for the "trail rated" badge
I've read this elsewhere too. Also, since the first gear is used as "low-range", the Compass actually starts in second-gear. Can you (or anyone else) elaborate on the difference? Basically this short-cut means less power than a true low-range gear? And what about its "locking rear diff"? I read that that's also done electronically, but not sure if in real-world situations, how much difference it makes. Thanks.
Old 20th May 2019, 21:29   #152
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Compass Trailhawk teaser is out :

Last edited by Klub Class : 20th May 2019 at 21:31.
Klub Class is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 08:13   #153
Senior - BHPian

Jeep India website updated.

The Jeep Compass Trailhawk. EDIT: Launched @ 26.8 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1558579395.537041.jpg
Arjun Reddy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 10:59   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Jeep India website updated
So, the red tow-hooks - trademark of the Trailhawk - are gone in the Indian version
Old 24th May 2019, 05:34   #155
BHPian

Quote:
So, the red tow-hooks - trademark of the Trailhawk - are gone in the Indian version
They might have it as an accessory? Is it possible?
Old 24th May 2019, 09:43   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post
Tow hooks as accessories I seriously doubt it! That said, I am sure Jeep is going to position the Trailhawk as more of a "top end model" with diesel/auto-transmission combination as opposed to a "trail rated" off-road biased SUV and I won't blame them - that is their reading of our market
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 10:21   #157
Senior - BHPian

The Jeep is going to use the ZF 9HP48 transmission.

The spread in ratio between 1 and 9 is just under 10:1 which is twice what most gearboxes have. Coupled to a short final drive, and software designed to start only in 2nd in auto mode, and directly in 3rd in snow and mud mode, it will have tremendous torque to start off.

A 4X4 manual with a 2.5:1 transfer case, and 3.8:1 first gear also gives a 9.5:1 spread between 1 Low and 4 High.

With a transfer case and 5 speed overdrive transmission the spread between 1 Low and 5 high will be about 12.5:1

The ratios are as below.
1 st : 4.713
2 nd : 2.842
3 rd : 1.909
4 th : 1.382
5 th : 1.000
6 th : 0.808
7 th : 0.699
8 th : 0.58
9 th : 0.48
& R : 3.80

Last edited by khan_sultan : 24th May 2019 at 10:36. Reason: formatted
Rahul Rao is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 12:42   #158
BHPian

I really feel the car is coming out too late to garner interest (Apart from serious off-road enthusiasts)
I was quite eagerly waiting for the auto-box diesel compass from the time of launch of the car but all the excitement went down due to the delays. I really hope the Trailhawk does well.
Old 24th May 2019, 13:18   #159
BHPian

The main issue with this car is going to be the pricing. Trailhawk will probably be priced around 27L on road. That is a 10L difference between the lowest Compass model and the highest one. Personally, I wouldn't feel to comfortable getting the same design, build quality among other things for a premium of 10L. I do feel Jeep has messed up by having too many variants.
kartavya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 14:26   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
The Jeep is going to use the ZF 9HP48 transmission
Thanks - this is useful information! Seems to be a decent alternative to a traditional low-range transfer case. Similar strategy is adopted by the Duster AWD if I am not mistaken, albeit with a manual transmission. In case of Duster AWD, however, the user manual does what the electronics do in Trailhawk i.e. instruct the user to start with second gear when in 2WD mode

However, even with such a tall 1st gear, stuff like rock crawling is ruled out for the Trailhawk. That said, the fraction of owners taking a ~30 lac car for rock crawling will be close to nil anyways.

PS. here is a good video review of the Trailhawk. Not sure if it is already posted on this thread.

Last edited by cool_dube : 24th May 2019 at 14:42.
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 17:27   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Tow hooks as accessories I seriously doubt it! That said, I am sure Jeep is going to position the Trailhawk as more of a "top end model" with diesel/auto-transmission combination as opposed to a "trail rated" off-road biased SUV and I won't blame them - that is their reading of our market
IMHO, Jeep is serious about getting the Compass right and definitely are doing their groundwork. As an owner of a compass limited plus, I have had in-person visits from their HO taking surveys and feedback of my experience as early as 2 months into my ownership even though I had been quite satisfied so far and have raised no issues.

While the Trailhawk looks set to be priced north of 30L and will be off-road biased, it is likely that Jeep will introduce the Diesel AT combination in the lesser Limited Plus or other variants, alongside or immediately after this launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
The main issue with this car is going to be the pricing. Trailhawk will probably be priced around 27L on road. That is a 10L difference between the lowest Compass model and the highest one. Personally, I wouldn't feel to comfortable getting the same design, build quality among other things for a premium of 10L. I do feel Jeep has messed up by having too many variants.
Given the fact that the current limited plus 4x4 diesel manual exceeds 28L in some cities today, the Trailhawk version is likely to be priced at 30-31L on road giving a gap for non-trailhawk diesel ATs.

Your logic is sound that 10L difference is considerable and just a trailhawk badge will not differentiate it from the base product. But it is the top trim that sells the most even though you can get a Jeep Sport for 6L lesser and we have to wait and see how buyers respond to this pricing.

Last edited by clementj : 24th May 2019 at 17:31.
clementj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 18:06   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementj View Post
While the Trailhawk looks set to be priced north of 30L and will be off-road biased, it is likely that Jeep will introduce the Diesel AT combination in the lesser Limited Plus or other variants, alongside or immediately after this launch.
I doubt it! Jeep India will seal the fate of Trailhawk by doing so, since 90%-plus of its buyers will buy it for the diesel/auto-transmission combination rather than the off-road capabilities. As soon as it is available in lower trims, these customers will move on to those trims While the Duster AWD is aging, it is still a good (and more importantly, much cheaper) alternative for folks looking at an off-road capable compact 5-seater SUV.

Last edited by cool_dube : 24th May 2019 at 18:10.
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 03:39   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt it! Jeep India will seal the fate of Trailhawk by doing so, since 90%-plus of its buyers will buy it for the diesel/auto-transmission combination rather than the off-road capabilities. As soon as it is available in lower trims, these customers will move on to those trims While the Duster AWD is aging, it is still a good (and more importantly, much cheaper) alternative for folks looking at an off-road capable compact 5-seater SUV.
IMO, Jeep should not look at the Trailhawk as a volume model, but rather a Halo model to raise the profile of the brand. I would seriously think there is a great opportunity to take the leadership in 4X4 segment by launching Sport Plus and Logitidue 4X4 MT models alongside the Trailhawk at attractive introductory prices, buffeting the price range with. 4x4 for every price point between 18 and 30 Lacs. They could use the introduction of the Trailhawk to create demand for 4X4s through clever advertising and become the defacto mindshare - leader in this space. There is no brand that has cemented itself as an off road leader yet in the Indian market. It is a small window of opportunity that Jeep has to do this before other brands rush into the niche.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 25th May 2019 at 03:41.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 08:50   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt it! Jeep India will seal the fate of Trailhawk by doing so, since 90%-plus of its buyers will buy it for the diesel/auto-transmission combination rather than the off-road capabilities. As soon as it is available in lower trims, these customers will move on to those trims

My take is that FCA will introduce the automatics across the diesel range. Trailhawk alone cannot ensure volumes at that price point. If there is a consumer (automatic) with a budget of 25 lakh, Jeep will not want him shopping elsewhere.

Keep in mind that the current capacity of the plant is around 13k vehicles a month. Not sure how many they are exporting, but with India sales at around 1200 at the moment, there will be a lot idle capacity and they will have to boost the sale of the Compass and also introduce new models to sustain the growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
It is a small window of opportunity that Jeep has to do this before other brands rush into the niche.

+1. Nice thought. A Sport+ 4*4 at 22 OTR would work nice for the enthusiast.

@cool_dube, nice video but bear in mind the diesel Trailhawk will perform much better due to the high torque difference between the two engines. The diesel has almost 2 times the torque. 184 nm vs 350 nm.
Old 25th May 2019, 10:42   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post
Quote:
The tow hooks are missing to adhere to the recent pedestrian norms which require all cars to have smooth front ends.

Source : ACI
karan561 is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed