Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2019, 15:22   #2836
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I think the pricing is okay. Nothing to complain about, nothing to write home about.
I feel that the pricing is atrocious for the features that they've advertised, most of which are exclusive to the top end. And still, there's no automatic on offer.
Reference : https://harrier.tatamotors.com/variants

They should have learnt a thing or two from Toyota and given all the safety kit in the lowest variant, and given that their own product, the Nexon recently received a 5 Star NCAP Rating.
Quote:
By the way, remember my earlier post? Tata's Twitter handle & Autocar intentionally leaked the 16 - 21 lakh price, only to launch it lower eventually. The base variant starts significantly lower in Delhi or MH (Tata's home state), as does the top variant. Forget ex-showroom (which is usually how prices are announced or leaked), even the on-road is lower.
Quote:
P.S. Before any Bangalore BHPian replies talking about how the Harrier might cost 21 lakhs there, please note that car launches almost always have Delhi prices quoted.
Ah, you beat me to it. But the sad reality is that the prices are astronomically high for a FWD 5 seater Manual Transmission vehicle from Tata, said to be derived from the Land Rover, and yet, does not offer most of those features in any variant except the top-end. In my opinion, this will only cause Hyundai to increase the pricing of the Creta and rake in more profits.
CaptainPrice is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 15:27   #2837
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Decent pricing IMO, but the fact is except for the top end variant the feature list is quite anemic especially the XE and XM variants. The XZ variant is feature-packed and feels like good value;
I have to disagree. The XM brings a lot of useful features to the table. I consider the following to be concrete/useful features:
  • Multi Drive Modes 2.0
  • Front Fog Lamps
  • 
Floating Island 17.78 cm (7”) Touchscreen Infotainment System 

• Rear Parking Sensor with Display on Infotainment

• Electrically Adjustable Outer Mirrors 

• Steering Wheel with Controls
  • 
6 Way Adjustable Driver Seat

• Remote Central Locking
These are the things one must have in a car these days, so that it won't be called bare bones

So, here's how I see the feature being laid out:
  • XE - completely bare bones (relatively speaking) and just about gets the safety features that one considers standard these days. Unless you want the biggest yet handsome car your money can buy, this isn't going to cut it.
  • XM - Gets all the must-haves in a modern car.
  • XT - Looks like they have put in all the automatic this and that. I mostly see all the comfort/convenience oriented features here.
  • XZ - This for those who want the top of the line, all gimmicks and luxury features and cutting edge safety features (for this segment)
All I can think of to be missing is the sunroof, AT and 4x4. Otherwise, we are looking at a compelling package.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 24th January 2019 at 08:29. Reason: Minor typo
prakash_ajp is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 15:29   #2838
BHPian

I don't think the move to undercut the XUV by a small margin is a good idea. Instead, they should have priced it slightly higher to give an impression that it is a more premium car.

If they really had to compete with the XUV on price, they should have priced it at least a lakh lower than XUV.
Old 23rd January 2019, 15:34   #2839
BHPian

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-months-411230

Waiting period of three months and 16000 bookings.
Alas no 'official' (autocar leak) of when the AT will be launched.
amartyasg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 15:35   #2840
BHPian

Finally it's out! Will have to wait and see what the market response is like, hopefully it's good. The product is great no doubt but I wonder if the general public is willing to shell out so much for a Tata. Time will tell I suppose.
Being based on a Land Rover platform they should have launched a 4x4 variant, quiet disappointing that.
ROG_AK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 15:38   #2841
BHPian

A friend who got a Compass last week is banging his head ... that just shows Tata has hit a sweet spot in terms of product and pricing.

Congratulations Tata ! Please keep the momentum going with good after sales and service. Bring on another higher variant with sunroof and automatic (maybe bigger tyres too) during Diwali and that would be a bumper news.
streetfighter is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 15:51   #2842
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

So if they have the claimed 16k pre-order. They should be able to ship 5k units per month from the second month.

Time will tell. But that would make it a huge success. Wonder how many of those 16k were for ATs.

Continuing to build castles:
Feb 2019 Numbers:
Harrier 5K
XUV 1-1.5K
Compass 250
Creta 7K
Kicks 1K (only for a month though)
Wonder
Could we be looking at a massive change of guard moment.

Am I sounding like a fanboy? But 16K bookings imply this.

Last edited by ACM : 23rd January 2019 at 15:57.
ACM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 15:51   #2843
Senior - BHPian

This is a great price. The Creta we must remember was always over priced and now this launch clearly proves it without a doubt. For about the same price of the Creta one gets a proper big butch SUV and not a hatch on stilts. Safety as has been the forte of new Tata cars, should be good and that 2.0 multijet should keep most 1.5/1.6 pseudo SUVs behaved on the road. Great launch indeed by Tata. I would get it asap if I was in the market for one.
SPARKled is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 16:05   #2844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post

The XM brings a lot of useful features to the table.

XM - Gets all the must-haves in a modern car.

XE - I mostly see all the comfort/convenience oriented features here.

XZ - This for those who want the top of the line.

I find XM and XT to be the most VFM.
XM and XT could generate the maximum sales - Attracting a lot of prospective Creta, XUV, Kicks, Duster, Captur, Scorpio, Safari, Compass customers.

Tata Harrier XM
  • Front fog lamps
  • Rear parcel shelf
  • 7.0-inch infotainment touchscreen with four speakers and two tweeters
  • Steering-mounted audio controls
  • USB, Aux and Bluetooth compatible audio system
  • Multi Drive modes for the engine (Eco, City and Sport)
  • Remote central locking
  • Six-way adjustable driver’s seat
  • Follow me home headlamps
  • Rear wiper
  • Boot lamp
Good Value for OTR 16.5L for those masses looking for a Trendy, Solid Built SUV with imposing Road Presence.

XM - main Decisive features:
Multi Drive Modes, 7.0 infotainment, Rear Wiper, Fog Lamps, Height adjustable driver seat.

Tata Harrier XT
  • Dual function LED DRLs
  • 17-inch alloy wheels
  • Audio system with four speakers and four tweeters
  • Video playback and image display via USB
  • Voice recognition and SMS readout
  • Android Auto
  • Apple CarPlay (will come at a later date)
  • Rear defogger
  • Reverse camera
  • Push-button start
  • Climate control system
  • 8-way adjustable driver’s seat
  • Power folding and adjustable wing mirrors
  • Automatic headlamps and wipers
  • Cruise control
  • Cooled storage under the front centre armrest
  • Rear armrest with cup holders
Very Good proposition for OTR 17.8L. (Like the S Cross Zeta) XT has almost all the bells and whistles.

XT - main Decisive features:
LED DRLs, Push button Start, Cruise control, Voice Recognition, Android/Apple, Defogger, Reverse Cam, ACC, Armrests

Last edited by JS Kwt : 23rd January 2019 at 16:27.
JS Kwt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 16:07   #2845
Senior - BHPian

Here's how the Harrier lines up against its main rivals on the price graph.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-compa.jpg  

RM Motorsports is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 16:10   #2846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I don't think the move to undercut the XUV by a small margin is a good idea. Instead, they should have priced it slightly higher to give an impression that it is a more premium car.

If they really had to compete with the XUV on price, they should have priced it at least a lakh lower than XUV.
I don't agree with that for two reasons:
1. Our market is very price sensitive and not many will fall for that trick. Jeep compass may have done that, but look where it is now, barely selling a thousand. I sense Jeep compass will be the worst hit in the coming months, because the Harrier will put that theory of yours to test.
2. We are talking about two companies that are at par from several angles. So, Tata doesn't have to undercut XUV by a huge margin. Even if we consider XUV's additional third row seats, Harrier has lot going for it too. The real answer to how this will affect the XUV sales may depend on how many of XUV's customers really want a seven seater.
prakash_ajp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 16:14   #2847
BHPian

My observations...
Pricing view
  • Starting from mid variant of Creta.
  • Good overlap with Hexa, yet stays below the Hexa top-end meaning, there is a scope for AT variant on-par with Hexa. May be, convert Hexa to MPV officially [no more "Cross over" tag].
  • Stay below Compass, leaving Compass in its own territory meaning the compass sales is going to be hurt for sure.

Variant spacing
  • Well done, in my view.
  • Shored up all the basic safety features like 2 Airbags, ABS/EBD, etc on the base variant.
  • XT & XZ are very meaty variants, I would say considering how its featured.
  • Expecting XZA & XZA+ with a strong 6/7 speed AT in an year's time.

Impact on Hexa - should see more sales in coming months because buyers would come into a Tata showroom for looking at Harrier and change their mind to go with Hexa till the Harrier AT and/or the 7 seater is launched.

Net-net - I am getting ready to get myself the Harrier AT in about an year's time!
kaviprem is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 16:19   #2848

Tata has done well to keep the pricing in the range where it derives people looking at two different price zones (10-15 lacs) and (15-20lacs). With this it has positioned itself against Creta which would still sell more because of Hyundai brand and expected fussfree ownership. But, it is interesting to note that Harrier is priced nearly to XUV500 which is available in 7 seater configuration. Thus, whenever the seven seater config is launched it would be priced higher than the outgoing XUV500.
I am waiting for 7 seater version to roll out and would be happy to purchase if it comes 50k-100k difference from Harrier.
Hope it does well in Market and proves the pedigree.
PiyushD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 16:22   #2849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
All I can think of to be missing is the sunroof, AT and 4x4. Otherwise, we are looking at a compelling package.

Let me just add one more - electrically adjustable and temperature controlled seats.
Old 23rd January 2019, 16:26   #2850
Senior - BHPian

Just now returned from servicing my car at KHT.

The GM of the service center confirmed that Harrier will have 3 years warranty & 2 years extended warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Here's how the Harrier lines up against its main rivals on the price graph.
This is my only concern. If Tata itself compares Harrier with XUV5OO, it can surely be compared with Hexa. So IMO Harrier XM variant is priced too close to the Hexa mid variant (manual, viz ~17.8 OTR in Bangalore).

I'm comparing mid-variants because I'm kindof a "mid variant person" I don't need the jazz, but my cars can't be too barbone either. And I don't believe I want to buy a cut-price Compass. Even my trusty service advisor confirmed, "Compass is compass, can't be compared with Harrier, and if you really want to compare with Compass or even Creta - just buy new Hexa, its tried & tested".

In conclusion, given the amount of competition coming up this year, IMHO Tata should've priced Harrier competitively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjkonline View Post
Saw the Harrier in person at KHT motors, Domlur... They have got just 2 cars for display. Test drive vehicles expected by end of month.
Yesterday while giving my car, KHT service center had 3 cars.

I met 2 people who bought Hexa automatic because Harrier wasn't available in automatic, they didn't look disappointed looking at the Harrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Let me get this straight. Are you [your SA] saying/hinting "Compass is a superior/premium offering"?
KHT sells Tata as well as Jeep & services them at the same place, so I guess the SA has seen them well enough.

Quote:
"Tried and Tested" factor - I think, we have come past this notion with Tata cars since the launch of Zest and Bolt. Come on, lets give the credit where its due.
Please chill. I'm very much giving it the credit. Infact I'm specificly pointing that out.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 23rd January 2019 at 16:55.
GrammarNazi is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks