Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2007, 16:41   #211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza View Post
My dear freind...car purchase is a highly involved decision making process. It will be some time before the car is seen in the flesh.
Agreed ! I did not deny the fact earlier too. " Would be the end result declared by the buyer. "

Quote:
Invariably, the first point of visual impact is the internet. A person who is interested in buying a car will normally research it through the net or magazines before dropping by the showroom. You too would probably do the same. If the car is not visually appealing, it is likely that the potential customer would put the car at the end of the list or eliminate it all together.
Yes my dear friend, If a person is making a research on the Internet, his first step would be to type "Logan" in google or some other search engine. Click on the images link (in terms of google) and you will get 360 deg pictures of Logan, i mean all angle's. (Dacia & MM Logan, not a huge difference though).

Take me for example: Yes, I never liked the Swift from Day 1 it was launched. All of a sudden from no where, i have started liking the Swift D - for no reason. Even i dont have an explanation why, i like that car. It's completely up to one's fondness.

Quote:
In fact if you go through this thread itself, there are one or two people belonging to this forum who seem to have ruled out the car on looks alone after visiting the gallery on the website.
Completely agreed that people dont share the same taste...

And guys, any of you have the TYRE specs of Logan? I read some where in the net that it's 165 | R 14 | 80. (For Dacia Logan) Throw some light please.

Floyd, Post your review about Logan, if get an opp to test drive the car. Thanking you in advance...

Cheers,
Jai
Old 4th April 2007, 17:16   #212
BWN
BHPian

Any idea why there's almost 1 lac differnce between the two diesel variants ? is it only because of Air Bags and interiors or any other thing.
Old 4th April 2007, 17:17   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
Hypothetical question to me??? Please let me know what would be?? and which thread do i have to look in?
Its there in a thread called 'Question for the ad guys'. When does the action hot up?
Old 4th April 2007, 17:58   #214
BHPian

Is the diesel a CRDI engine? without a turbo as well. Unless it is built better or is technologically superior in some other way, guess there is not much to choose this over the other diesel sedans that are currently available.
The diesel swift and fiesta seem superior technically as compared to the logan at the present - Am I right?
Old 4th April 2007, 18:09   #215
Senior - BHPian

The car is overpriced. The base diesel sans power windows and other stuff is 5.43 ex-showroom, which makes it 6 lakhs on-road! The top end diesel model will retail at 7 lakhs + on-road, which is costlier than the Accent CRDI and dangerously close to the fully loaded 1.6 Fiesta's and the Verna atleast in delhi. The engines are nothing to speak of, 65 BHP from a 1.5 Diesel is too low besides the 1.4 petrol is just 75 bhp and even the 1.6 is less than a ton, 90 BHP to be precise.
I cant understand how can a car which is priced at 5000 EURO's (around 2.75 lakhs) costs so much here. Even if we take the 5000 EURO price to be for the basic petrol model, the indian model is still expensive by 1.5 lakhs!
Besides, the european model with three airbags and usual goodies costs 9000$ which is still just 378000 INR... the Indian model expensive by close to 2 lakhs with lesser goodies!
Even if we take the localization level to be 50% and the tax structure, the car shouldnt be costing that much, since the company would also be saving on the low labour costs here.
Its way too expensive for a "cheap" developed world car.
Old 4th April 2007, 18:17   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Its way too expensive for a "cheap" developed world car.
And in true M&M style, no ABS/EBD even as an option on any of the variants
Old 4th April 2007, 19:10   #217
SuperSyn

I have noticed few more things:

1. Renault do not mention the weight of the car and variants in the technical specifications. Perhaps these poor people do not realize that there is this thing called internet and we can all get the information from other sites, no point in being shy.

2. The base diesel version isn't that much de-contented as one might expect.

3. Two-valve per cylinder for diesel is short sighted. Sure, one has to cut costs but there comes a time when instead of being frugal you start acting cheap.

Old 4th April 2007, 19:40   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
The base diesel version isn't that much de-contented as one might expect.
Disagree.... The base diesel doesnt even gives you power windows! Though it gives you the LCD screen which shows the instantaneous fuel consumption and the range.... toys!

Quote:
3. Two-valve per cylinder for diesel is short sighted. Sure, one has to cut costs but there comes a time when instead of being frugal you start acting cheap.
This exactly is my problem the car isnt exactly cheap but the specs are.
Old 4th April 2007, 19:54   #219
SuperSyn

Quote:
I have noticed few more things:

1. Renault do not mention the weight of the car and variants in the technical specifications. Perhaps these poor people do not realize that there is this thing called internet and we can all get the information from other sites, no point in being shy.

2. The base diesel version isn't that much de-contented as one might expect.

This was a pathetic post. Posting Under Influence should also carry a fine.

What I meant was, the base diesel version isn't that much de-contented as one might expect. But that is easy, as there is not that much content in the car in the first place!

Also, about the engine...This is the same engine being sold in Europe, and Dacia/Renault probably wanted to eek out more fuel efficiency instead of power. Oh well.

Old 4th April 2007, 20:37   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
I agree totally! But sadly the kind of speed bumps one can see sometimes on the road forces one to look at ground clearance. And if one drives on highways and non-expressways roads especially after the monsoons, you will find 'roads' that require a car with a decent ground clearance.

Anyways, these are just my thoughts on this issue! If we had good roads, then who cares about ground clearance... Not me!
The car makers have not only the civil engineers to take into account but also our farmers too. I mean, I cant imagine driving Logan through the roads going near villages where they have piled more than a foot of hay or such to act as cheap grain harvesters. People who have travelled in TN villages will know what I mean.
Old 4th April 2007, 22:45   #221
Senior - BHPian

What could be the mileage expected out of a 1.4 logan and a 1.6 logan considering its specified weight? will experts on this subject be able to throw some light on this?
Old 5th April 2007, 00:09   #222
BHPian

If you take my word, Logan base diesel will defintely replace indigo in the taxi segment....wait n watch...at least its better in the looks compartment...and a great boot space with some funky new features like the lcd display...indigo feels so lacklustre...
Old 5th April 2007, 01:02   #223
BHPian

If the Logan is built anything like the Skoda (as mentioned in a previous post) Tata's can kiss their Indigo market goodbye. Indians want space and a boot, even if there are no roads left to haul all that space on. This is one of the most prevalent middle class aspirations. Methinks that the Getz market is in serious trouble too. Unless they manage to slap a Boot on it soon enough :|

Any idea how much 4.3 ex-showroom translates to in OTR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravradha View Post
Q: What were the key design features that helped cut costs?

A: The dashboard for example, is one injection-molded piece. That minimizes the assembly process and ensures consistency. The dashboard on a midsize Western car is composed of many pieces. We weren't allowed to break up the dashboard with colors or special finishes. But we used the radio console to play with a paint finish.
I'm surprised they made the dashboard out of injection moulded plastic at all. If their volumes are not over 50K/ year, then they were better off making the dash out of resin and fibre. you can get soft finishes using the right processes. I think Ford had attempted this with the IKon.

Also plastics costs are incidental to the final cost of the vehicle if volume sales are very high. It's all that metal that adds to the cost.
Old 5th April 2007, 02:16   #224
Senior - BHPian

my apologies if any body feels hurt but i was wondering if this logan is going to be safe enough? i mean is mm going to have the crash tests done on this vehicle and is the chassis going to been upto the marks because the scorpio really disappointed me for i had high expectations on it for i simply loved the awesome looking stunner!
Old 5th April 2007, 04:16   #225
Senior - BHPian

MR is promoting this car as India's first widebody car. Im not sure what they mean by this but I searched a bit and the Logan is 122mm wider than the Indigo. Im not too sure how much of a difference thats going to make.

As for the Logan beating the Indigo in the taxi market..theres no way thats happening. The base model Indigo diesel starts from around 4.34 and the version with Power Steering and Airconditioning costs 4.70, whereas the Logan starts at 5.47. so I dont see fleet owners makign the switch to a Logan yet.

What other cars are against the Logan besides the Indigo?

Esteem @ 4.4
Swift @ 4.04
Getz @ 3.9
Fiesta @ 5.8
Aveo @ 5.9
Fusion @ 5.7

As for the safety. It has been crash tested abroad. Im not sure if they prove anything but heres a video of it being crashed

Last edited by khanak : 5th April 2007 at 04:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks