Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2019, 11:16   #541
Senior - BHPian

re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
The spacing does seem wider than usual. Side to side comparison of Hector and Harrier makes it look like Hector is from a segment above. For some reason Harrier steering wheel does not look like a premium one. It is all bling no doubt , but that touch screen alone is enough to sway an average buyer.
The transmission tunnel is narrow in case of Hector. They have utilized the space very well. I dont know what all really goes in that space since in SUVs the floor itself is higher.

If you look at this against the comparisons that Tata has mentioned about the wider track on the outside against Hector, it looks like Hector has done a good job on the inside. With more power, up sizing the tyres would work well for Hector. Really want them to prove doubters of Chinese quality wrong.

Its Indian vs Chinese in this case and not really a Global vs Chinese in spite of what Tata might advertise about the pedigree. Its about manufacturing/QA processes of companies. Its just about the basic mechanical design/architecture that they need to prove.

For the 7 seater version, wouldn't the people who buy the 5 seater be able to retrofit ? They should do that and look at 7 seater as a variant or accessory.

Last edited by srishiva : 17th May 2019 at 11:36.
srishiva is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 11:37   #542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Its Indian vs Chinese in this case and not really a Global vs Chinese in spite of what Tata might advertise about the pedigree. Its about manufacturing/QA processes of companies. Its just about the basic mechanical design/architecture that they need to prove.
100% agree. Both vehicles are MADE IN INDIA. Its a contest of the design & design implementation between the two manufacturers.

I feel Hector may have an edge here since from the first impression it seems to be a more mature product as compared to the Harrier. I am sure the official Team Bhp review will answer the question.

Keenly watching both the threads since I am in the market for exactly this product range.

Last edited by manson : 17th May 2019 at 15:45. Reason: Typo.
ihrishi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 11:42   #543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVREVV View Post
For Heaven's sake, Even if it is Chinese, they ought to provide quality. It's not a 10-20 Rs. toy we are talking about here. It's an expensive Rs. 20 Lacs car.
I was talking about the general perception chinese products used to have. As an example Chinese mobiles in the past were the el-cheapo junk pieces, but now they rival the Korean in quality. I myself have expectations of high quality for this car.
DrPriyankT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 11:42   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post

For the 7 seater version, wouldn't the people who buy the 5 seater be able to retrofit ? They should do that and look at 7 seater as a variant or accessory.
Mechanically possible, but we need to update the RC with the seating capacity and subsequent info in Insurance which may be Cumbersome.

I feel it very Cheap when Tata show cases Hector as a cheap Chinese product. Let them take the war on the road and see who wins. Surely Harrier has the ground support of US as its an Indian product, but Hectcor doesn't lack anything in the looks or features, road manners we dont know yet I felt Hector's front fascia more premium looking than Harrier.
Old 17th May 2019, 12:01   #545
BHPian

So it looks like MG have done their homework. The SUV looks good, feature loaded and looks promising to take on the primary competitors, the Harrier and the XUV 500. The XUV 500 will survive since its current volumes are higher and wouldn't take a huge hit. Its the Harrier thats in the firing line if MG prices the Hector sensibly.

Below are some tangible extras that the Hector packs in over the Harrier

Engine:

1. 1.5 Turbo Petrol
2. Petrol AT (6 Speed DCT)
3. Petrol Hybrid
4. 2.0 MJD in a higher tune

Safety:

1. Rear disc brakes
2. Front parking sensor
3. TPMS
4. Heated ORVMs

Comfort & Convenience:

1. Usable front arm rest
2. Power adjustable passenger seat
3. Ergonomically placed USB & Aux sockets
4. Powered tailgate

Utilty:

1. Boot Space: 587 Ltrs
2. Flat rear floor board
3. More spacious interior

Wow Factor:

1. Massive 10.4'' touch screen (although I don't prefer such a huge touchscreen but the market definitely will go WOW over it)
2. Massive pano sunroof (currently one of the most attractive feature)

The only grouse I have with Hector is the tyre size, 215s are the norm for CSUVs but then tyres are the easiest to change.

MG have got things right here and I don't think it'll be priced on par with the Harrier. If they do then Hector will not only dent other SUVs but also will trigger panic buttons in their board rooms.

Price:

My guess would be

1. The base petrol will be priced ~11.XX
2. The DCT will be priced ~1.5 - 2 lacs more than the MT
3. The base diesel would be ~13.5 - 14 lacs
4. The top end diesel would be ~1.5 lacs more than the Harrier XZ, so it'll be ~21 lacs

I wish there was a diesel AT option which currently only the XUV500 offers.

The Compass will be the least affected since its about half a segment above and might continue to sell 1.XX K units. The XUV 500's base volumes is higher for the dent to impact severely. So its the Harrier that has a tough fight on hands.

I guess this time around TATA needs to reverse their standard procedure of deleting features and instead add a few to match up to the Hector.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 17th May 2019 at 12:16.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 12:27   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post

The Compass will be the least affected since its about half a segment above and might continue to sell 1.XX K units. The XUV 500's base volumes is higher for the dent to impact severely. So its the Harrier that has a tough fight on hands.

I guess this time around TATA needs to reverse their standard procedure of deleting features and instead add a few to match up to the Hector.
I am not convinced about brand MG. Not many old timers would recognize and neither the new generation know about the brand. Only news that some folks would remember is MG Rover selling Indica's. Hector has to be so damn good and MG has to get the pricing right. Jeep Compass has attained Creta state. It looks nice, has brand Jeep and the size is just right for the city dwellers.
Old 17th May 2019, 14:24   #547
BHPian

Looks like MG is taking lot of efforts in marketing.

I saw planted news about talking car feature in ABP Marathi. This way they are trying to generate some hype of the car.

I doubt hector will be priced in Harrier or XUV range considering only 75% localization.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 17th May 2019 at 14:26.
Old 17th May 2019, 14:33   #548
Senior - BHPian

The Hector - on display at Mumbai's International Terminal - pic taken now.
Attached Thumbnails
MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-1image.jpeg  

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-2image.jpeg  

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-3image.jpeg  

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-4image.jpeg  

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-5image.jpeg  

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-6image.jpeg  

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-7image.jpeg  

AMG Power is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 14:48   #549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post

I am interested to see its impact on the Hyundai Creta as well. Given the initial niggles of Tata the Harrier has had no impact on the Creta. If priced right the Hector could take a shot at the Creta volumes as well which to me has a larger pie than it deserves simply due to the lack of options.

I mean if I someone is in the market for a SUV in the Creta and near about segment, the XUV 500 looks too bulky, the Jeep Compass is priced well above and the Harrier cannot come near the fit and finish of the Hyundai. I think the Hector might offer this ideal alternative and I hope it does

Given that everyone in India is mainly buying 4x2 Compass variants - the Hector with its Panoramic Sunroof may draw some of the Compass buyers as well. The true differentiator of the Jeep breed which is the 4x4 ability is not really something the majority of Indian buyers are interested in...since majority of the time it is used only to navigate the concrete jungle.

As for the Chinese Car brand aspect - most people here think it is British - I have recently educated several of my colleagues that it is Chinese and they had their eye balls pop out and I had to show the Wikipedia link of SAIC to prove it to them. So that aspect will not be denting Hector mostly. If not for Team-BHP maybe I would have thought it to be British as well...

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 17th May 2019 at 14:53.
vsrivatsa is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 17:55   #550
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the feature list & size of the car, I am sure top end will be around 25 Lacs (diesel) on road. If it is launched at lesser price (few lacs less), I will be really surprised. Not sure how people will react to this new entrant in the Indian car market.

Interiors are mainly just about large screen, nothing else. Looks like a electric car more than a normal petrol car IMO. Interesting to see if people are going to like it or not. For me it's definitely a bad one, not big fan of touch screens in car.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 19:16   #551
Distinguished - BHPian

Excerpts from the interview -Rajeev Chaba

BS VI - Compliant

Quote:
These engines are BSVI ready. This means you need to add certain extra equipment and calibration. This is what will be done. When the changes come into force, tweaks will be made according to the BSVI fuel. We are ready and at the right time, we will implement this
Quote:
Prices will go up for BSVI because you add more equipment. especially in diesel, there will be a steep increase. This is going to be a very interesting year. Somewhere down in Q4, I'll bet is going to be a bumper year. This is when consumers will go for the deal and that may be a good time to buy.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 19:29   #552

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Looking at the feature list & size of the car, I am sure top end will be around 25 Lacs (diesel) on road. If it is launched at lesser price (few lacs less), I will be really surprised.
See what I found in Cardekho.com - Prices of the different variants
Attached Thumbnails
MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-hector-2.png  

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-hector-price-1.png  

Attached Images

Last edited by Eddy : 18th May 2019 at 11:21. Reason: corrected typo
madhavan1605 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 00:52   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhavan1605 View Post
See what I found in Cardekho.com - Prices of the different Varients
Dear sir, these are the prices estimated by the website you have quoted and not the prices announced by MG Motor India. MG Motor India has made no announcements regarding the prices yet.
PS: The correct spelling is 'variants'.
Shreyas Agarwal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 16:32   #554
AYP
Senior - BHPian

MG Hector's full TVC-

AYP is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 07:58   #555
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks good on the road,