Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2020, 01:46   #766
BHPian

Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabhijit View Post
Referring to your earlier video, I too experienced this on the Karoq a couple of times where at low speeds, it shifted to D1 and the RPM shot up. This is not a behaviour common to DSG. My GT TSI has never exhibited this behavior ever. Usually the DSG sticks to D2 unless you almost come to a halt.

So on the Karoq, I turned off the engine start-stop function and drove on bumpy roads at very low speeds and I could not replicate this behaviour. The DSG just stayed in D2 and pulled smoothly with throttle input.

Will try this for a few more kms and see if this is indeed the reason.
My Karoq doesn’t seem to have any such issue as it apparently never shifts to D1 whatsoever (even at 4-5kmph speeds) except when you come at a complete stop and then start moving again (I always keep engine start-stop ON).
So I think you need to take the car to the service centre and get it rectified (maybe a minor software issue). I think a sudden spike in revs (due to downshifting to D1) must feel very jerky and unpleasant (due to engine noise also). I get you grievance, it shouldn’t be there in a ₹30L car.
Parth Oomphy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 10:48   #767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth Oomphy View Post
My Karoq doesn’t seem to have any such issue as it apparently never shifts to D1 whatsoever (even at 4-5kmph speeds) except when you come at a complete stop and then start moving again (I always keep engine start-stop ON).
Parth, on a smooth road even at such low speeds there is no issue even in T Roc and Polo. However, on bumpy roads, which we have in plenty in Bangalore, the DQ200 is behaving this way. When time permits, may be try it again on such roads. If there is no issue in some cars, then yes the Skoda / VW have something to fix on others.
Old 8th August 2020, 10:59   #768
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Also VW gives 10 years warranty for the gearbox, so you can have a piece of mind while using it.

PS: Although wet clutches are perceived to be more reliable, they are actually expensive to maintain (compared to dry clutch) as they require fluid top ups with every service (something you should know). Also they particularly don’t offer any smoother or faster experience than the dry clutch gearboxes (so performance is same in both).

And By the way, TROC does have auto hold function for city traffics, so no worries of burning your “dry” clutch in DQ200 or overheating in city traffic (when you come to a halt, auto hold with automatically shift to P, disengaging the clutches, so you don’t have to keep shifting to “N” mode in traffic to save your gearbox).
Sorry but the above 3 points are not accurate.

The wet clutch and dry clutch both have oil. A gearbox cannot work without oil. The only difference is that the clutch is not immersed in oil in dry clutch.

And no the wet clutch does not need fluid top up at every service. It only needs an oil change at 60,000kms. The dry clutch box does not need an oil change at all since the transmission oil is for life.

Maintenance wise the wet clutch is not much more. Also, the shifts are not necessarily smoother in dry clutch vs the wet. The wet clutch actually has smoother shifts cause of the oil bath which allows little more damping. The dry clutch is however faster to shift.

Secondly the Auto Hold function does not automatically shift to P. It merely disengages the clutch and keeps the brakes applied. It is not the same as shifting to P but the same as shifting to N and keeping your foot on the brakes.

Lastly, VW does not give a 10 year warranty on the gearbox at all. If offers only the standard warranty that is on your car. So if your car has a 4 year warranty the gearbox is also same 4 years. The sales guy will tell you 10 years but the company will deny that. You can try to ask for it in writing and see for yourself.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 8th August 2020 at 11:59.
Vid6639 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 12:13   #769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Secondly the Auto Hold function does not automatically shift to P. It merely disengages the clutch and keeps the brakes applied. It is not the same as shifting to P but the same as shifting to N and keeping your foot on the brakes.
Are you sure of this behaviour that in Auto Hold the clutch is disengaged and the car is in N?

I have got into a habit of shifting to N at traffic signals after reading on the DSG thread somewhere that the clutch is not disengaged in Auto Hold and it's only that the car engages the brakes on its own.

Some documentary insight would be really useful here to lay all confusions to rest.

Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 12:34   #770
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
Are you sure of this behaviour that in Auto Hold the clutch is disengaged and the car is in N?

I have got into a habit of shifting to N at traffic signals after reading on the DSG thread somewhere that the clutch is not disengaged in Auto Hold and it's only that the car engages the brakes on its own.

Some documentary insight would be really useful here to lay all confusions to rest.

Thanks
Yes many Skoda/VW international forums as well as here on Team-BHP. It has been widely discussed and documented.

Unfortunately I will have to search and that will only be after a few days.

Do check the DSG threads:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...rongly-10.html (DSG Mechatronics Failures: Are we driving them wrongly?)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...t-gearbox.html (DSG, demystified! All you need to know about VW's Direct-Shift Gearbox)
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 23:20   #771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristis2008 View Post
Parth, on a smooth road even at such low speeds there is no issue even in T Roc and Polo. However, on bumpy roads, which we have in plenty in Bangalore, the DQ200 is behaving this way. When time permits, may be try it again on such roads. If there is no issue in some cars, then yes the Skoda / VW have something to fix on others.
I live in Ghaziabad and regularly face bumpy roads, but no issues there as well. I have Ameo DSG too & never noticed it shifting to D1 except when going to standstill.
Old 9th August 2020, 02:58   #772

Just posting some interesting pricing details that I could dig again. Particularly, a strange pricing variance between Karoq and T-Roc in UK. I configured Karoq on UK website with Indian variant options and it comes to about 31K GBP, while T-Roc on UK website is coming to 34K GBP for the Indian variant options. Why is Karoq cheaper than T-Roc in UK while in India it is the other way around. Tax is about 7K on Troc in UK within the 34K GBP price, while tax is lower on Karoq, not sure why.

I am not sure if anyone has noticed, INR has depreciated by 10pc ever since the prices have been announced for both these models in early 2020, so VW is pretty much looking at big forex loss as well and reduced margins !

In China, I noticed that T-Roc, a fully loaded 2.0 TSI is being sold at 14,62,220 INR. So for emerging markets seems the pricing is on par.

In Australia fully loaded one at about 22 Lakh (pretax). T-Roc is not yet launched in other big markets like Brazil or US or Russia yet.

https://cc.skoda-auto.com/gbr/en-GB/...nts%7Cservices
Attached Files
File Type: pdf car-card-C6U9RNEX.pdf (362.6 KB, 127 views)
JOKARR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 09:20   #773
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen T-Roc Review by Overdrive

Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 08:31   #774
BHPian

Fellow TRoc/Karoq owners, what's the month and year of manufacturing mentioned in form20?
Here they are mentioning as Jan 2020 and that's what is recommended to them apparently by authorities. The TRocs that I have come across so far were all assembled in Nov -Dec 2019
Old 13th August 2020, 09:55   #775
Distinguished - BHPian

OverDrive's comparison in performance between the siblings, T-ROC seems to have an edge between the two!

Name:  T1.PNG
Views: 3142
Size:  124.5 KB

Name:  T2.PNG
Views: 3110
Size:  87.5 KB

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 22:02   #776
BHPian

I just received an update from dealer that my T-Roc has reached his stockyard and upon my special request I can go and have a look at the vehicle there only before delivery. Can someone guide me with the list of things I have to look for when I see the vehicle physically as part of a PDI from my side?

Secondly, the SA confirmed that specific car which has been allotted to me has Bridgestone rubber on it. I honestly have zero experience with Bridgestone tires but if given a choice I have always gone for Michelin or Yokohama. Would you suggest me to go for a tire swap right away or continue with Bridgestone?
Old 13th August 2020, 23:25   #777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namanchaudhary View Post
PDI from my side?
given a choice I have always gone for Michelin or Yokohama. Would you suggest me to go for a tire swap right away or continue with Bridgestone?
You can check:
https://www.team-bhp.com/advice/pre-...pdi-check-list

And I have so far seen Bridgestone Turanza, Michelin Primacy and Continentals , not sure of model name of the Contis though.

I am not sure if these tyres are suited to Indian road conditions since the car is CBU. However, I have had good experience with Turanzas as compared to Michelins. Anyday, I would prefer Turanzas.
Old 15th August 2020, 17:34   #778
BHPian

Here is Overdrive comparison b/w Karoq & Troc:

They declared Karoq as the winner & better value overall. Only 0-100 performance & driving dynamics are slightly better on the Troc, due to lower height & lesser weight. In pretty much everything else, Karoq won hands down.
Parth Oomphy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 20:46   #779
BHPian

Quote:
Here is Overdrive comparison b/w Karoq & Troc
At about 13:25 he mentions that in those rough trails the Karoq manages crawling better than T-Roc. Is the DSG tuned differently in Karoq ? Or is it because of additional weight and thereby momentum the car manages to move through such sections better ?
Old 15th August 2020, 23:53   #780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristis2008 View Post
At about 13:25 he mentions that in those rough trails the Karoq manages crawling better than T-Roc. Is the DSG tuned differently in Karoq ? Or is it because of additional weight and thereby momentum the car manages to move through such sections better ?
Yes he said DSG is tuned differently on both (on Troc, it’s more eager at launch, so better 0-100 pickup).
But about the crawl difference, I’m not sure. Haven’t personally tested any of them off the road so can’t comment.
But I know one thing, *170mm GC of Troc Vs 200m on Karoq plus better approach & departure angles on Karoq does make it better for deep bumps.
But then again, they both aren’t off-roaders so can’t really complain much.
Jeep Compass or even harrier will be better for rough use I guess.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks