Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2020, 13:30   #226
Senior - BHPian

re: Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs

Doubt it will undercut the Venue. The Aura is no indication of pricing because it is an extended i10. The new i20 will sit on the Venue's price scale and top end will probably overlap with the Verna itself.
Old 28th August 2020, 13:38   #227
Senior - BHPian

re: Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1-Addict View Post
Honda will be worried with the new Jazz just launched. This could kill the Jazz.

Being a Hyundai it will be loaded with features too.

Interesting times ahead in this segment too.
Honda wont be bothered about the numbers the Jazz brings them. It has never been a hot seller, Honda is doing what VW is doing with Polo.

Jazz never threatened the i20 despite being much better in all aspects. Mistake of 1st Gen Jazz has completely spoiled the image. i20 isn't an extraordinary car but it has takers due to feature list & After sales service. I too have i20, when i bought it in 2015, Jazz & Baleno were not available. Hence i didn't have any other option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
There is absolutely no reason why one has to consider Jazz (unless of course, you have some serious fetish for chrome rings around control switches).
Really ?

Why not ? i20 & Jazz, both have 1.2 Petrol, between the 2, the Jazz engine is more enthusiastic despite the weak low end. If you bring 1.0 Turbo into equation, the Jazz doesn't offer it, but at the same time, that Turbo Petrol wont be cheap.

Cabin & Boot Space along with easy entry/exit will be the talking points of Jazz over i20. New i20 is lot more spacious than current one, but it wont be as much as Jazz.

Why am i emphasizing so much on space ?
Simply because you are sitting inside the car till you reach the destination. If you are alone, rear space wont matter. But, when you take family along, their comfort is also equally important. They wont say you anything in i20, but in Jazz, they'll start praising you and will be very happy to take a nap due to airy feel.

IMO, this aspect is more important than what features the car offers, remember Humans are more valuable than these fancy gadgets, which are just consumables. Space aspect is one of the major criteria at least for me when buying a car.

As much as i like my i20 due to the smooth diesel engine, good exteriors and premium interiors, the space at the back and the average dynamics make it an ordinary car to drive & sit in. In fact, most of the time i end up parking it in garage due to the above reason. No one in my family likes to sit in it. Other cars are preferred.

With new i20, i expect Styling & Feature list along with range of engine & gearbox options to be the major selling points.
CarguyNish is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 14:05   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
Powerdrift has put up a video on Instagram with this car almost completely undisguised!
Looks really good from the front.
The front gave a strong Mahindra e2O vibe to be due to how the headlamp clusters are styled.

And the rear - well looks are subjective of course but I found the wrap around tail-lamp clusters rather unpleasant. They seem to extend too far - as far as over the fuel cap in fact. Thats a bit too much of red plastic for my liking. Chiseled character lines on the side are going to be polarizing IMO. I prefer sleeker smoother ones like the ones on the Verna or Vitara Brezza.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 14:41   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Why not ? i20 & Jazz, both have 1.2 Petrol, between the 2, the Jazz engine is more enthusiastic despite the weak low end. If you bring 1.0 Turbo into equation, the Jazz doesn't offer it, but at the same time, that Turbo Petrol wont be cheap.
When did I mention the 1.2 kappa, it's existence is purely to flash a low starting price. That engine is as ancient and weak as the 1.2 ivtec. I challenge you, they won't even bother to give it an auto tranny, or put it in a higher trim (check Venue). Knowing Hyundai's practice, there will be an artificial waiting period to help you consider other engines. TGDi and Diesel are the real deal. I mentioned the Aura SX+ TGDi because it's fairly well loaded. It has been intentionally not given the iMT or DCT or else it will eat into Venue and i20. Even without the Auto option the Aura does provide a base for i20's pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Simply because you are sitting inside the car till you reach the destination. If you are alone, rear space wont matter. But, when you take family along, their comfort is also equally important. They wont say you anything in i20, but in Jazz, they'll start praising you and will be very happy to take a nap due to airy feel.
We have a Jazz in the family, I only hear them complaining about the poor AC and the inconvenience of a silly head rest, while the engine is just a dud to drive. Families can be different.
2cents is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 14:09   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
When did I mention the 1.2 kappa, it's existence is purely to flash a low starting price. That engine is as ancient and weak as the 1.2 ivtec.
Absolutely true, even hardened VTEC fanboys say the 1.2 VTEC is bad to drive, my opinion is much lower than that as I want torque off the blocks, I want triple figures with the RPM needle barely moving. I wont touch a 1.5 VTEC with a bargepole, leave alone its much much weaker counterpart.

The hate for Hyundai is surreal, is all I'll say.. their engines aren't fuel efficient for sure, all single digits in city if driven carelessly, even Santro, but their torque and refinement is top of the pecking order, of course their gearbox programming and quick electromechanical linkages, be it iVT, DCT or TC is woefully sub-par and needs 90% more improvement, slowest gear shifts in any automobile I've experienced.

This i20 should smoke the entire superhatch segment and dominate singlehandedly, is my prediction. Sure the Glanza/Baleno 1-2 punch will always be number 1, but their engines and overall design/build are sorely outdated and they sell just because its a Maruti product.
dark.knight is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 11:34   #231
BHPian

I don't know why but Hyundai seem to have been overdoing the styling part these days. Their convential big grille at the front is too much to be liked and the rear of any car of them right now looks way too bad.

Just look at the Creta(the design has grown on me now) or the leaked images of the New i20 the rear headlights seems to be lizardish styled with the big red rear light extend on the boot. Same in Aura, the rear lights are okaish but spoiled by the black strip on the boot.

Then add on it, a poor ugly sounding lock/unlock sound and you get a proper so called New Gen Hyundai product. What is happening Hyundai?
chiefpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 15:27   #232
BHPian

As a owner of Verna 2019 model , I felt the current gen Verna's front grill was really over done by looking at the pictures.

But when I looked at the car in real life , a black Verna DCT with shiny black front grill , boy oh boy that's a sight to behold,
it was looking terrific and smashing, not sure how it looks in other colors, but black Verna of the current gen is really good looking.

And I feel the new i20 has more proportional front grill out of all the new gen Hyundai's.
RaceHorse is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 20:02   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceHorse View Post
But when I looked at the car in real life , a black Verna DCT with shiny black front grill , boy oh boy that's a sight to behold,
it was looking terrific and smashing, not sure how it looks in other colors, but black Verna of the current gen is really good looking.
Ditto! I just happened to see a white turbo DCT Verna today evening; and what a beauty she is!!
That guy had also some serious black tints & wide aftermarket rims installed; and was the car looking menacing?
Whatever the pics say, one should see the car in person, especially in the beautiful white shade. I think the recent Hyundai designs have something that grow on you the more you see them. Can’t wait to see the i20 in person now!
ashvek3141 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 10:54   #234
BHPian

Brilliant fresh design, and a worthy competitor to the Altroz. In my opinion, these are the only two premium hatchbacks in India to talk about. The Jazz and the Polo are ostracised as they are being desperately flogged, when the rest of the world has had a nicer generation change!
lemedico is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 15:49   #235
GTB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
Powerdrift has put up a video on Instagram with this car almost completely undisguised!
I think it is the same as the one already available in the European Market.

Source: European Hyundai website.

I prefer current generation design though.
Attached Thumbnails
Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-i20-1.jpg  

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-i20-2.jpg  

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-i20-3.jpg  

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-i20-4.jpg  

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-i20-5.jpg  

GTB is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 07:31   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

The new Hyundai i20 launched in Czech. prices fit under CZK 300,000.(~ INR 993388)

Name:  00.PNG
Views: 2773
Size:  21.7 KB

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-6189412_hyundaii20v0.jpg

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-6189413_hyundaii20v0.jpg

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-6189414_.jpg

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-6189416_.jpg

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-6189417_.jpg

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-6204337_v0.jpg

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-6204338_v0.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd September 2020 at 07:35.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 20:08   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The new Hyundai i20 launched in Czech.
This is a strong contender looking at the torque figures at low RPM, absolutely stunning to look at as well, albeit on the sportier side while the Elite i20 had a family car look.

If the T-GDi here is paired to a 7 speed DCT, with all features i.e top end, I will have no hesitation to write a cheque. I have a feeling this might breach 20k booking within the first month.
Old 3rd September 2020, 15:18   #238
BHPian

This surely competes with Altroz vying for the most good looking hatch available in the market. My first car was an i20 Asta CRDi and I absolutely loved driving it for 5 years. The features it brought in the market at that time (2012! rain sending wipers, auto headlamps, rear disc brakes) are still missing in many of the cars in this segment. Elite i20 took it to the next level and this version is all but poised to take it to the next level.

I for one, am in love with the sharp and sporty look of this version and very well looking at as an option for a second car for city runabouts. I hope Hyundai gives full safety features including 6 air bags and the 1.0 turbo engine with DCT. Would be an hard to ignore package IMHO.

Watching this thread closely.
wordsworth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 16:30   #239
Senior - BHPian

Good to see them offer the iMT in Europe. Guess this is not just a jugaad for Indian customers. Hope they release some data on the testing they have done for this transmission. It will help more buyers make the jump to this setup without much hesitance.

They have a mild hybrid version as well which actually gives a boost to the engine (18 HP/28 Nm boost) Wonder why they call it 'mild'. That is very decent numbers. Should bring it here soon.

As always goes without saying, they have built a car that looks fantastic and futuristic.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 3rd September 2020 at 16:34.
Old 3rd September 2020, 19:40   #240
BHPian

Introduction to the all-new Hyundai i20 by Raf Van Nuffel, Head of Product Marketing & Pricing, at Hyundai Motor Europe.

John is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks