Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2020, 09:15   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51morris View Post
Spotted this at one of the motorway services yesterday! Looks compact and awesome.
After having a heavy diet of new Mahindra Thar over the last few weeks, all of a sudden Jimny has ceased to captivate my eyes which wasn't the case before.

If Jimny has to make a case for itself here, it should be priced at least 4 lakhs cheaper than Thar which is quite unlikely though.
Old 25th September 2020, 11:33   #317
BHPian

The 3-door Jimny's size is smaller than the Ignis, and it can create a whole new segment if they price it accordingly. At 3550 X 1645 (L X W in mm), it is an incredibly small car, and it will be a pipe-dream if MS thinks they can position this near the Thar. In fact, it is even shorter than the S-presso, albeit slightly wider.

Consider this car with that K12B, priced around 6L. Will be a perfect city runabout which can handle all the uncertainties that our city roads come with. Throw in an AMT, and the story gets even better.

Last edited by Vibhav-Van : 25th September 2020 at 11:35.
Vibhav-Van is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 12:24   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhav-Van View Post
The 3-door Jimny's size is smaller than the Ignis, and it can create a whole new segment if they price it accordingly. At 3550 X 1645 (L X W in mm), it is an incredibly small car, and it will be a pipe-dream if MS thinks they can position this near the Thar. In fact, it is even shorter than the S-presso, albeit slightly wider.
Jimny has has more brand equity in the world than the Thar which is unheard of in parts other than India. Also, I don't need to say anything about the superior offroad credentials of the Jimny as there countless videos on the internet of it taking on the Range Rovers, Land Rovers and what not!

Quote:
Consider this car with that K12B, priced around 6L. Will be a perfect city runabout which can handle all the uncertainties that our city roads come with. Throw in an AMT, and the story gets even better.
Pricing around 6L? Sure. Why not ask for INR 4L by deleting the 4X4 instead?

As you have rightly pointed out, there is already a Jimny rip off selling at INR 6L in India. It is called the S-Presso.
C'mon, assuming you are a car enthusiast, you should know better about the positioning of brands.

A pricing of INR 15L thereabouts for CKD units should work well for MSIL but the real issue IMHO is not the pricing itself but the immature customer base which shivers at the very thought of a Maruti Suzuki costing upwards of INR 15L!
Porschefire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 12:42   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
A pricing of INR 15L thereabouts for CKD units should work well for MSIL but the real issue IMHO is not the pricing itself but the immature customer base which shivers at the very thought of a Maruti Suzuki costing upwards of INR 15L!
15L for a car smaller than the S-presso with just 100 bhp on tap?
Agreed, it has 4X4 and off-road pedigree, but that kind of money is pushing the limits.

If there is one thing that Maruti knows, its how to gain high volumes, and there's no way this will be a volume seller at such prices. Also, the newspaper article mentions their Gurgaon plant being a manufacturing hub for the Jimny with local components; so their intent of aiming for volumes is clear. The only way MS can make money on this is to price it sensibly. Anything close to the Thar, and this is dead on arrival.
Old 25th September 2020, 13:01   #320
BHPian

Quote:
15L for a car smaller than the S-presso with just 100 bhp on tap?
By that logic, a Jeep Compass Trailhawk should retail at 20L since it is smaller than the Harrier, isn't it?

Quote:
If there is one thing that Maruti knows, its how to gain high volumes, and there's no way this will be a volume seller at such prices.
And why do you think the Jimny will be positioned for the mass market?

Quote:
Also, the newspaper article mentions their Gurgaon plant being a manufacturing hub for the Jimny with local components; so their intent of aiming for volumes is clear.
Wrong. The intent with the manufacturing hub and localisation is to hopefully bring the sticker price down (~INR15L and not INR 6L) from a laughable figure.

Quote:
The only way MS can make money on this is to price it sensibly. Anything close to the Thar, and this is dead on arrival.
Jimny is a lifestyle vehicle which should and will target the niche customer base who can afford it as a 2nd or a 3rd car, just like how the new Thar will be positioned. The quicker MSIL and the audience realize this, the faster Jimny will reach our shores.
Old 25th September 2020, 13:10   #321
BHPian

Quote:
And why do you think the Jimny will be positioned for the mass market?

Jimny is a lifestyle vehicle which should and will target the niche customer base who can afford it as a 2nd or a 3rd car, just like how the new Thar will be positioned. The quicker MSIL and the audience realize this, the faster Jimny will reach our shores.
Because MS as a brand simply doesn't have that desirability factor to pull off a lifestyle vehicle. It will take years of investment; like what Mahindra did with their great escape, and other exercises. MS hasn't even started thinking along those lines.
Old 25th September 2020, 13:18   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
MS hasn't even started thinking along those lines.
You'll be surprised.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 13:36   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
You'll be surprised.
The Raid de Himalaya? My bad, I forgot about that. But I think MS stopped sponsoring it. There’s no mention of MS on their site.

Last edited by Vibhav-Van : 25th September 2020 at 13:41.
Old 25th September 2020, 13:40   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
Suzuki to make India sole production hub for new SUV, Jimny; could use Maruti's Gurgaon plant.
Good move by Suzuki

This is quite contrary to stakeholder Toyota, who are hiding behind taxes guise. Toyota should take some classes from Suzuki on how to manage Indian operations yet not just remain profitable, rather flourish & add up to brand name.
Old 25th September 2020, 13:50   #325
Senior - BHPian

Like the Thar will not sell in huge numbers because of 2 door and its on road driving dynamics, but what it has more than the Jimny is the interior space, road presence and a diesel automatic engine.

A Jimny will never sell if its launched in 2 door petrol version. The minuscule off-roaders who care about only offroading are not the pie for any car manufacturer. Mahindra has learnt that super quick and is already as per rumors thinking of launching the 5 door version. How will it look? Look at the Jeep Rubicon and that is the Mahindra Thar in India when the 5 door does come out.

India just does not have a crowd which says 'Ah, my parents can't climb in the rear seat of the Thar or Jimny, but that's okay' or 'No boot space, that's okay, we will manage' or 'gives pathetic mileage, but thats okay'. Does not work that way. The customers these car target are price and mileage conscious.

If Maruti does want a 2 door to be launched, it should be alongside the 4 door, a diesel with a torque converter 6 speed automatic as an option, better on road dynamics and 7 to 9.50 lakh type price tag.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 14:11   #326
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Unlike the new Thar, Jimny is only a rich off-roaders toy.

I was interested in both the Thar and Jimny. The moment I saw one in person and also read on the highway rpm at 100km/h - I knew there were zero chances of me getting one ever.

This formula is going to be a niche in a niche segment for sure. Maruti will not get volumes eitherways, so a premium price tag is quite likely.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 14:33   #327
BHPian

Before the launch of Thar, Jimny was like my dream affordable offroader, but now that rumours point out to sub 10lakh starting price for base Thar, I dont see any value in 1.2 L jimny. Interiors and fit and finish seems to be closely matched or even better at some places in new Thar. New jimny for older gypsy price, maybe around 6-7 would make sense. But dare Suzuku launch it at >10 lac price tag, It will be dud the very next day. Exports make sense since this Jimny is almost a favourite of many autovloggers/jounalists of UK australia etc. Thar has hijacked Jimnies market in India if there was any, period!
Old 25th September 2020, 14:45   #328
Team-BHP Support

Re: Suzuki plans to make India sole production hub for Jimny

Suzuki plans to make India sole production hub for Jimny - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 15:48   #329
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suzuki plans to make India sole production hub for Jimny

I'm against Suzuki spoiling the lovely little Jimny by extending the wheelbase and turning it into a 5-door version.

However, if they going to do it, then I hope they also take the rear lights out of the rear bumper and put them elsewhere. The rear tail lamps being placed on/within the rear bumper is the stupidest design and placement for them.
RSR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 15:57   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Unlike the new Thar, Jimny is only a rich off-roaders toy.

I was interested in both the Thar and Jimny. The moment I saw one in person and also read on the highway rpm at 100km/h - I knew there were zero chances of me getting one ever.

This formula is going to be a niche in a niche segment for sure. Maruti will not get volumes eitherways, so a premium price tag is quite likely.
Well, I do agree that Jimny will cater to a niche segment and so will the Thar.

Also, it is important not to forget the fact that these are ladder-frame, hardcore off-road recreational/occupational vehicles first and everything else next.
I cannot possibly think of myself living with either of them as a primary mode of transportation to commute within the city, go mall hopping and indulge in off-road activities probably once or twice a year.

I have to agree with GTO that after the initial euphoria ends and reality checks in, most customers who are dreaming of owning either the Thar or the Jimny will go back to buying the Cretas, Seltoss and the Harriers. I have a friend who is tired of his 'unreliable' i10 and plans to replace it with the Thar.
I just wished him good luck.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks