Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2021, 18:02   #871
BHPian

Re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

In this blue, the front grille in silver grey, is closer to the Rover cousins..
Nalin Kumar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 18:14   #872
BHPian

Harrier looks stunning.
Hope to see evolved, stunning safari on road.
Recently Tatas seem to have nailed the looks game & taken it a notch higher if i may say.Nexon,Harrier,Altroz now Safari.
Well done Tata
Vijay T is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 18:19   #873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASP007 View Post
The recording vehicle is also bouncing at certain times. Can see that by observing it's bonnet and side mirror.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
True. But compare to the Innova which doesn't seem to bounce as much
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASP007 View Post
True, I concur that. However, the Innova seems to be fully laden (noticed passengers) and sit with 176 ish ground clearance. Fingers crossed for the ride quality.
Agreed its quite bouncy specifically when Safari is side by side with Innova. But it could possibly be just that section of the road in second lane with some invisible undulations causing excessive bounce to both the Safari and the recording vehicle as pointed out by ASP007. Comparatively, the bounce appears to be lesser when Safari moves to the fast lane.

Lets wait for the first impressions on the ride quality. I would expect Tata engineers to continue working their magic on suspension tuning for our road conditions like they've been doing on all their recent cars.
Old 14th January 2021, 18:27   #874
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra85 View Post
. As proven by the Seltos GNCAP no amount of airbags can compensate for an unstable structure. I hope the pressure we exert forces the tata officials to react. I would be the happiest person if they can prove me wrong by launching a 5star car.
In case of a side impact or rollover , won't side and curtain airbags be more safe than have none at all? 6 airbags and ESP is a good place to look at when considering safety than GNCAP.

GNCAP is front offset crash rating, you have got to take those ratings with a bucket of salt.
Old 14th January 2021, 18:29   #875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
GNCAP is front offset crash rating, you have got to take those ratings with a bucket of salt.
Hmm! Here is the GNCAP crash test video of Tata Nexon where it is tested also for the side impact (please see at 0:58 of the video).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
because his post about Harrier's GNCAP score did shatter my unsubstantiated perception of a car being safe
Don't be disheartened! Frankly, your perception is equally good as his claim given both are, currently, at the same state of being (un)substantiated. Only a GNCAP crash test of the Harrier would tilt the perception, one way or the other!

Cheers,

Last edited by gmhossain : 14th January 2021 at 18:47.
gmhossain is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 18:37   #876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
All New Tata Safari first look teaser

https://Youtu.be/io3-UQaU17k
I was one among that TATA fans who said " Naming GRAVITAS as NEW SAFARI " won't bring back the nostalgia of actual SAFARI.

But even after being in that mindset, I admit that I literally got some goosebumps after seeing the new SAFARI teaser. I am sure, this is going to be a smashing hit for TATA if rightly priced, no doubt whatsoever. They have made the right move at the right time by calling it a SAFARI.

Last edited by kamilharis : 14th January 2021 at 18:38.
kamilharis is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 18:45   #877

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLANTE View Post
Base variant of the company's flagship model not having body colored handles and ORVMs?. I am sure similar cost cutting comedies would be present in the comfort & safety features. Such a critical product which has the potential to further advance and possibly cement the mindset that "TATA is back and going to stay relevant".

TATA needs to do homework properly. Just keeping an eye out on the competition and not getting left behind should do. Who comes up with the variant spread BTW? Bean counters? TATA leadership has been speaking of loosing money of majority of the cars they sell for a long time and yet fail to realize that building back mindset of the Indian public is a monumental task.

I mean look at the stupid Innova Crysta, the 6 speed MT should have been localized long time ago (Last gen included) and offered as standard, considering the miles it munches in the highway. But in-spite of that Toyota is getting away with it only because of we know what.

@TATA, whatever my advise is worth, I think you should sell the first edition cars at a loss and write it off as part development costs. Turning profitable as soon as possible at the cost of risking a PR nightmare situation is not worth it.
LurkingAround is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 19:03   #878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post
I was one among that TATA fans who said " Naming GRAVITAS as NEW SAFARI " won't bring back the nostalgia of actual SAFARI.

But even after being in that mindset, I admit that I literally got some goosebumps after seeing the new SAFARI teaser. I am sure, this is going to be a smashing hit for TATA if rightly priced, no doubt whatsoever. They have made the right move at the right time by calling it a SAFARI.

One must not underestimate the power of Brand Recognition. Combined with proper marketing and good ads, this could not just be a sales hit, but also something that can remove the "Taxi" image that latched onto Tata with the Indica that still haunts the Tata Motors brand.

If just a teaser can bring substantial change in how you view the vehicle, imagine how much will the effect be on normal customers!

What Tata really need to do now is launch its own preimum dealerships (like Maruti launched Nexa). IMHO, this was the perfect chance for them to do that.
ZenMaster is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 19:06   #879
Senior - BHPian

Harrier was a great attempt by Tata Motors. I love the Harrier design and if I had 20Lacs to spend on an automobile today, Harrier would be at the top of my list.

Having said that, the Safari looks like an afterthought. The third row is not as neatly integrated. No amount of thick roofrails flowing down to the C-Pillar can hide this fact.
The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-screenshot-20210114-6.53.37-pm.png

If at all they needed a kink on the window line to make the glass area for the third row to be bigger, it would have been best to make the kink at the bottom line, not the top portion.

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-toyotainnovacrysta46.jpg
Toyota Innova both generations look much better in this regard, although I understand it is classified as an 'MUV'.
blue_pulsar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 19:08   #880
rpm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Don't be disheartened! Frankly, your perception is equally good as his claim given both are, currently, at the same state of being (un)substantiated. Only a GNCAP crash test of the Harrier would tilt the perception, one way or the other!

Cheers,
Disheartened, I am not, for all their other cars currently on sale (yes, Hexa isn't one of them at the moment) have the credibility and data to match that sense of safety which is associated with the brand. The one thing that post did do was, make me err on the side of caution and not give Tata the benefit of the doubt. Additionally, it would help me with these two things:

1. I won't be going around touting an unrated product as safe or unsafe, at least not on public forums, based on my biases, as is often seen in YouTube videos (and their comments section) dissecting crash worthiness of unrated cars based on deformation/external damage in a collision.

2. I would duly mention that my perception of the crash worthiness of the given unrated product is pure speculation, not backed by GNCAP numbers, should the need arise to provide my opinion in a discussion.

Cheers!

Last edited by Sheel : 14th January 2021 at 21:37. Reason: As requested.
rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 19:16   #881
BHPian

The car looks great, the proportions are perfect, have the wonderful 170PS FCA engine, but the Safari badge for a front wheel drive Pseudo SUV/MUV is not apt in my opinion.

Safari is and legandry name for the Indian SUV segment. It represents a butch, heavy, rear wheel drive SUV for us Indians. The Gravitas name was perfect or even they could have gone for Harrier Plus (just like Hector Plus).

It's a great replacement for the Hexa, which itself was a great MUV.

They could have reserved the Safari nameplate for its AWD version as TATA Gravitas Safari (Like JEEP Compass Trailhawk or even Ford Ranger Raptor or F150 Raptor).

Regards,
DevOnWheels
DevOnWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 19:26   #882
Senior - BHPian

New Safari is definitely good option over overpriced Innova. Price will be key here. I am sure Tata will target Innova prices directly and undercut them by some margin.

Any idea how much boot space is on offer? Hopefully 3rd row space will be sufficient too.
Old 14th January 2021, 19:43   #883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk_del View Post
- Will they offer airbags for 3rd seat occupants too.
Hope so. What I believe from those graphical images are provision for airbag in C pillar to cover third row as well (circled in red)
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-picsart_011407.33.37.jpg  

bwildrd#1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 20:07   #884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Sad to see BHPians making such remarks, no offence but this mentality is the major reason unsafe cars sell in bucketloads in our country.

On other note, I think people comparing this with the crysta are missing the point that Tata is branding it as a butch SUV which will now most likely compete with XUV 500 and not its original rival i.e. the Scorpio. The crysta itself is overpriced and trying to compare the two will only help Tata turn fat profits by keeping the top end price just shy of Crysta ZX.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 20:50   #885
BHPian

How i wish they had atleast changed the headlight design. Just my humble attempt at photoshop.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-untitled1-copy.jpg  

rascalangel is offline   (17) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks