Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2020, 14:09   #391
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A Close Look : Kia Sonet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Those arent HTX plus alloys. Those are stylized steel wheels like the one on the Creta S variant. So its either a base model or a mid variant
It’s the HTX variant since the HTX+ gets the crystal cut alloy wheels. HTX also gets Led headlamps and taillights among with rear wash wipe.
Old 28th August 2020, 14:27   #392
BHPian

A screenshot from the video brochure.
Is the 630mm height calculated till the roof ?
Attached Thumbnails
A Close Look : Kia Sonet-screenshot_20200827174244.jpg  

Old 28th August 2020, 14:58   #393
BHPian

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-rear-comparison.jpg

Is it just me or does the rear profile of the Sonet really resemble that of the BR-V? Have had this thought for quite some time now.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th August 2020 at 21:05. Reason: Typo
aenkay91 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 15:12   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aenkay91 View Post
Attachment 2048818

Is it just me or does the rear profile of the Sonet really resemble that of the BR-V? Have had this thought for quiet some time now.
In my opinion, the rear profile of the Sonet shows resemblance to the Kia Sportage.
Attached Thumbnails
A Close Look : Kia Sonet-20200828_150948.jpg  

sid__kaps is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 16:35   #395
BHPian

With no disrespect to prospective buyers, how much ever time I see the car, I can't digest the rear. Especially, the connecting rear lights. Moreover, those aren't functional, why would you have it and spoil a rather smart looking front. I don't understand the latest obsession with this design language from Hyundai and Kia. I wish they had gone Seltos way with rather clean design, which would have done wonders to Sonet.

I am not sure if companies would conduct a market study before coming up with such design language. If yes, then I may be part of niche segment. Nevertheless, apart from rear this is one excellent product which will shake the CSUV segment, my wishes for the car to succeed.
vvivek85 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 17:29   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Yeah, that's true. But I really wonder, what's this new trend of compromising the rear legroom for that extra boot space. For someone targeting a SC-SUV or a premium hatchback for that matter, won't be having big families and corresponding luggage to ferry around. What matters more is the rear legroom here to keep the passengers happy.
I am 6 ft tall, and I seriously wonder how much space would be let for the rear passenger for the driver seat set for my height. For sure, I didn't find it satisfactory in the Venue. I could barely enter at the rear, forget finding a comfortable position.
You're absolutely spot on. I need boot space just a few times a year, but rear legroom is needed on a regular basis.

Sliding rear seats is something that more manufacturers need to start having a real good look into.
echo77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 17:41   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aenkay91 View Post
Attachment 2048818

Is it just me or does the rear profile of the Sonet really resemble that of the BR-V? Have had this thought for quiet some time now.
It resembles the Audi Q8 more than the BRV. Connected tail lamps via light or reflector strip are a new fashion trend among manufacturers.
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 18:18   #398
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A Close Look : Kia Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwildrd#1 View Post
Don't want to be a disappointment here but it's highly unlikely that HTK+ Diesel AT would retail below 10L ex-showroom. On comparison we have entry level diesel automatics - Nexon XMA @ 9.8L and XUV3OO @ 10.2L both being short of features when compared to Sonet HTK+. Additionally we are going to have TC gearbox when compared to AMT in other two and the engine itself will be in higher state of tune with VGT(compared with equivalent manual variant). I would seriously hope Kia to prove me wrong by pricing it below 10L We will have to wait and see.
I think unless Kia gets greedy, they have every reason and means to profitably launch the Sonet HTK+ Diesel AT at the 9.99 lakhs price point. Few rationale:
  1. The Seltos HTE Diesel Manual version was launched at 9.99 lakhs late last year. Hyundai Creta E Diesel Manual was launched at the same price point a few months ago. Now those cars are subjected to 43% GST versus the Sonet which will be in 29% GST category. So for the same price (9.99 lakhs), the company will earn 7.75 lakhs for every Sonet sold versus instead of 6.98 lakhs for every Seltos/Creta sold- A gain of 77K that can be used to deploy other features/parts.
  2. The Seltos and Creta are much larger cars with higher amount of material and labor content due to their increased size and weight. Also, they face higher transportation costs due to larger weight and dimensions. I am sure there will be a saving of another 75 K - 1 Lakh or so on this account in the Sonet as compared to the Seltos.
  3. Seltos Diesel HTE got disk rear brakes while Sonet us getting only drum brakes. This is worth at least 15-20K.

All of the above points account for a saving of Rs. 1.75 - 2 lakhs from the company's perspective in manufacturing and selling a Sonet HTK+ Diesel Auto when compared to a Seltos HTE or Creta E Diesel Manual.

Now, what the Sonet HTK+ is getting in terms of equipment over the base Seltos from last year and approximate (generous) cost estimates for the values of items added is below:
  • Auto transmission - 1 lakh
  • 8 inch Touchscreen ICE instead of 2-DIN Audio - 25K
  • Auto headlamps - 10 K
  • Roof rails - 5K
  • Auto AC - 15K
  • Front fog lamps - 5 K
  • Rear view camera - 10K
  • Rear defogger -5K
-> All this point to an additional manufacturing cost of Rs. 1.75 lakhs for Kia Sonet HTK+ Auto as compared to the Seltos HTE Diesel Manual.

So the additional costs of the Sonet HTK+ Diesel Auto are more than offset by the savings Kia would make in terms of manufacturing costs and GST in making a smaller car.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 28th August 2020 at 18:47.
84.monsoon is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 20:27   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
-> All this point to an additional manufacturing cost of Rs. 1.75 lakhs for Kia Sonet HTK+ Auto as compared to the Seltos HTE Diesel Manual.

So the additional costs of the Sonet HTK+ Diesel Auto are more than offset by the savings Kia would make in terms of manufacturing costs and GST in making a smaller car.
That was a very detailed explanation Thank you. There are still couple of equipments which Sonet provides and missing in your list

Can't agree more from your answer. Wish it turns out to be true. I think price distribution could be in below range (all diesel):
HTK+ Manual - 8.59 - 8.79
HTK+ AT - 9.99
HTX Manual - 9.99

Last edited by bwildrd#1 : 28th August 2020 at 20:34.
bwildrd#1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 21:54   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatia.D17 View Post
A screenshot from the video brochure.
Is the 630mm height calculated till the roof ?
630 mm is roughly a little over 2 ft. Therefore, it can't be till the roof. Actually, the arrow has shifted a bit in the picture - instead of starting on the boot floor, it starts from the top of the loading lip and hence stretches beyond the parcel tray.
Old 28th August 2020, 21:57   #401
BHPian

Any indication on the rear legroom ? That is the only shortcoming of my Ecosport. I'm considering Sonet and I don't want another not-so-spacious car for the rear seat passengers.

Venue, I've heard isn't generous (actually was told that it is even more cramped compared to Ecosport). Would Sonet (Venue's sibling) be any better in this regard ?
Old 28th August 2020, 23:11   #402
VRJ
BHPian

One thing i don't understand about Kia is why they assume people who want the top of the line variant want an all black cabin and those red inserts? That's the case with Seltos and now Sonet. Although Seltos has no red inserts on the grille and is a looker. There are a tonne of people (including me) who prefer a beige or a lighter shade interior. An all-black cabin makes me feel claustrophobic and it makes the car feel utilitarian to my eyes. That along with the red inserts makes the car not classy anymore. Just my personal opinion. One of my friends father wanted to get the Sonet as a city car and the first time he sees the pictures of the car, he asks me what are those red inserts? Can i get a high-end that looks classy and with beige interiors? Well, No. Kia thinks a high end should have red inserts and all black interiors. Why can't we have a high-end AT in the HT line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasscit View Post
Venue, I've heard isn't generous (actually was told that it is even more cramped compared to Ecosport). Would Sonet (Venue's sibling) be any better in this regard ?
A good friend of mine has the Venue and it definitely has more legroom than an Ecosport. While we were car hunting to replace his polo, both of us checked out the Venue, Ecosport and XUV300. For reference, I'm 6'2, in the Venue i have around 3-4 cm of knee room behind my driving position (I comparatively drive a bit upright so that my wrists are on top of the steering wheel). However in the Ecosport, my knees were touching the front seats. So, my friend straight away dropped it out of the list. The XUV300 offered the best knee room in the bunch. The polo is probably the worst when it comes to backseat space Few of my very good friends use me as a measuring/fitment device. The usual dialogue is 'if you fit and find it comfortable, my entire family will find it comfortable' .

Cheers!
VRJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 23:39   #403
BHPian

Hello guys, was seriously considering Sonet, but the absence of turbo petrol manual will make me look elsewhere. I still can't understand why would Kia skip the manual option

Does any one have any idea if they plan to introduce it later?
midazolam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 23:44   #404
BHPian

Kia Sonet GTLine variant in Intense Red and Beige Gold shades. Kia's Heartbeat LED DRL integrated turn indicators looks sweet and gives the car a very upmarket front view.

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-sonet1.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-sonet2.jpg

Last edited by stormdRider : 28th August 2020 at 23:48.
stormdRider is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 02:21   #405
BHPian

Looks cool, went to Kia showroom today, Test drive of Sonet is available from 5th September. eagerly waiting for TD of AT version.
sharan_si is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks