Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2010, 18:12   #316
Senior - BHPian

re: High security registration plates (HSRP) in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l View Post
Raj, are these legal yet in Mumbai ??
I called up my dealer and he asked me not to out them on my car. As per him, there is no official circular out in the state yet and using them is illegal. So the traffic police can officially book you for using them.
Your dealer's statement is utter nonsense. Where does the question of legality arise. Everything on the plates is per the specs which are uniformally applicable to RTOs across the country but not yet enforced. Infact the plate's material is such that the numbers can be read easily and clearly from a distance even in very low ambient light and in the dark if you use a torch leave aside another vehicle's headlights, they just stand out completely legible.

These are God sent for the police per our local beat constable who opined that noting down numbers and also capturing them with the cameras being installed at various intersections in NCR will be a breeze compared to the cacophony of materials, scripts, fonts, sizes & styles out there right now.
Old 11th December 2010, 10:51   #317
BHPian

^^ i meant using them in Maharashtra is still not permitted.
Old 11th December 2010, 11:33   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear fellow TBhpian,

The last time I checked, Maharashtra is still an integral part of India. So what applies uniformally across the country applies to Maharashtra also.

The HR plates you see on my Blue Streak (see my garage) were made in Hadapsar or Bhosari ( I cannot recall the exact location) by a gentleman who has the franchise for Pune ( I contacted him through the classified section in the forum) and there is yet another gent who has the franchise for the Greater Mumbai and Thane regions, his factory is in Vasai and he is doing regular jobs for all of the car dealers in Bombay, Thane & New Bombay areas. Rest assured you can use these plates in MH and it is 100% legal.
Old 11th December 2010, 11:42   #319
BHPian

Hey Khoj... My (new) car, was registered last week, and according to the dealer the the so-called "high-security" number plates were 1) not approved for use in Maharashtra (a lie, methinks) and 2) all fake, at least those available in Pune (quiet possible, as they did not have the magnetic stripe, nor the laser engraving). Hence he put in the normal acrylic plates in my car though I has specifically asked for the high-security type, and confirmed and re-confirmed this several times with them.

Last edited by DrunkenMonk : 11th December 2010 at 11:46.
Old 11th December 2010, 12:15   #320
Senior - BHPian

Hi DrunkenMonk,

Congratulations on your new ride. What did you buy and are there any photos on the forum, do provide the link.

As for J Williams they are a good dealer and serve very nice lemon tea plus the owner Mr Irani fondly known as Baba can regale you with many stories from Pune's golden recent past.

They are correct in saying that the plates are fakes as these are only pseudo HSRPs. The final word on making the plates mandatory is tied up in a legal tangle. Therefore while the Infrastructure to make and distribute the plates is already in place the unique laser engraved identity numbers are nowhere close to being issued. Untill that happens the plates cannot be called HSRP in the correct sense. Rest of the plate is the same as per the approved specifications and very much legal

As for the second part of calling the plates illegal they are wrong. They however have reasons for dissuading customers from asking for these plates. As and when the project of unique id numbers is implemented all of us including people like yours truly will have to change the existing plates. Now for the dealers this can be a major hassle. Imagine disgruntled customers asking for a refund/exchange on the pseudo secure plates they paid for initially thinking they were the real deal. Further the dealer can get the normal acrylic plates for as low as Rs50 and pass them on to us for 500 to a 1000+ and thus make better profits. For the pseudo HSRPs they have to shell out much more as the manufacturing is tightly controlled with not much scope for negotiations resulting in lower profits plus the inconvenience of arranging for the plates in the first place.

EDIT Hey, I just remembered you from another thread where we were discussing a French car makers products to be launched here. So here is another request (in addition to the one above) for photos of your new ride (Cedia Sports in Black if I recall correctly) and the link there to.
Ciao

Last edited by khoj : 11th December 2010 at 12:22.
Old 13th February 2011, 10:24   #321
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I saw this HSRP number plate on a swift in our parking lot today. Is this a valid size in Utsav? or is this fake one?
Attached Thumbnails
High security registration plates (HSRP) in India-imag0127.jpg  

Old 13th February 2011, 20:12   #322
Senior - BHPian

The Swift's owner is using a two wheeler size plate on the car. So while it is a HSRP, it is not the sanctioned size for a four wheeler.
Old 13th February 2011, 20:37   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toretto View Post
Hi Guys,

I saw this HSRP number plate on a swift in our parking lot today. Is this a valid size in Utsav? or is this fake one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The Swift's owner is using a two wheeler size plate on the car. So while it is a HSRP, it is not the sanctioned size for a four wheeler.
Nope, those are neither bike plates, nor car plates.Those are custom made plates I believe ( probably illegal). I've seen many in Bangalore.

Oh and BTW, my grandpa and mom said they've read in the newspapers that all vehicles plying/registered in Andhra Pradesh will have to use HSNPs mandatorily. This is a welcome move because 50-70% of the number plates I see in AP are illegal. Eg: (These ar nothing. there is stuff even worse I've seen, blue illuminated, radium graphics etc.
Attached Thumbnails
High security registration plates (HSRP) in India-041120102538.jpg  

High security registration plates (HSRP) in India-051120102556.jpg  

High security registration plates (HSRP) in India-051120102558.jpg  

High security registration plates (HSRP) in India-061120102563.jpg  

High security registration plates (HSRP) in India-090220113575.jpg  

Old 16th March 2011, 23:12   #324
Team-BHP Support

I have observed that at few places the number plates (the high security Utsav ones) are stuck on the Car and at some places they are screwed on.

The screwed on part is understandable (I too got one for myself today) but how to put it w/o screws?

Check out the A4 and its plates. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...els-my-a4.html
Old 17th March 2011, 11:59   #325
BHPian

^^ They have introduced a "new product":

Quote and Pics from the Utsav website:

Quote:
To add beauty to your car and to avoid using SCREWS on the Plate now you can install UTSAV smart frames on your car and install the UTSAV SMART PLATES without holes.

These special frames also supports the number plates and the number plates does not bend once installed with these frames.

Few cars have numberplate holes in the center of the plate like SKODA, Ford IKON, HONDA CRV etc. so UTSAV SMART frames are an ideal option to install along with SMART PLATES

High security registration plates (HSRP) in India-p1.jpg

High security registration plates (HSRP) in India-p2.jpg

High security registration plates (HSRP) in India-p3.jpg
Old 17th March 2011, 13:12   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What you mean is, their use is not yet compulsory in MH! Same here in TN.
Old 17th March 2011, 13:23   #327
BHPian

^^ No. I was told their use in MH is not authorized by RTO. Also not really sure if Utsav is selling the ones with emblem anymore.
Old 17th March 2011, 13:58   #328
BANNED

Why is it "smarter" to use Utsav frames? That piece of plastic can be removed as well can it not? Or os it just avoid drilling a hole in the wrong place on the number plate? i.e no security bonus?

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 17th March 2011 at 13:59.
Old 17th March 2011, 14:34   #329
BANNED

No legal HSRPs yet exist. No state has legislated so far.

So you have only HSRP type plates,and are free to fix them whatever way you like.
Old 17th March 2011, 14:59   #330
Senior - BHPian

I think these plates are lot better than the stickered ones. Atleast you would not have the number stickers peeled off, falling off the number plates.

Would it not be possible to have a low weight metal number plates coz I have seen many a plastic ones break off, chipped at corners etcs. How about an FRP ones? Any ideas if these exist.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks