Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2021, 18:29   #31
BHPian

Re: IndianOil rolls out green fuel "XtraGreen" at 126 Fuel Stations across 63 cities in India

Hi everyone
I’ve actually tried one tankful each of XP95 petrol in my Baleno CVT and XtraGreen in Brezza Diesel MT.

XP95 being 95 octane compared to the regular BS6 petrol which I read is now 91 octane (as against 89 octane in BS4 petrol) has a very very noticeable effect. The car pulls more strongly and smoothly (sound and harshness both are less) and FE is approx 5% higher (0.5kmpl to 1kmpl) as well. Baleno’s CVT is somewhat jerky (weirdly) but the jerks vanished after I started filling up on XP95. At approx 4-5% higher price, I’m not going back to regular BS6 petrol ever. And keep in mind this is the effect in a 1.2L NA engine.

XtraGreen being 55 Cetane as against 51 Cetane of BS6 regular diesel has a higher Cetane gain of approx 8% compared to XP95 which has an approx 4.5% Octane gain but the effects are less noticeable on the Brezza diesel. The car runs smoother and quieter, and pick-up from low revs is slightly improved. Since this car has an erratic running cycle I can’t comment on the FE gains as yet. But overall I was expecting more. Nevertheless, I’m sticking to XtraGreen here too for the foreseeable future, price difference again is 4-5%.

Haven’t tried XtraGreen on my Passat 2.0 Diesel yet, let’s hope the effect is more pronounced in that engine. Will update this thread after I fill it up this weekend.
Vishesh is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 21:33   #32
BHPian

Re: IndianOil rolls out green fuel "XtraGreen" at 126 Fuel Stations across 63 cities in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishesh View Post

XtraGreen being 55 Cetane as against 51 Cetane of BS6 regular diesel has a higher Cetane gain

Will update this thread after I fill it up this weekend.
Thank you for the update; I'll keep an eye on your posts. Despite the many encouraging comments in this thread, I am sceptical. I had previously wondered why, like high octane Petrol, high Cetane number (CN) never became popular. It appears that as the CN increases, so does the temperature in the combustion chamber, favouring the formation of particulate matter due to thermal cracking, which increases oxidation rates while decreasing unburned HC emissions and specific fuel consumption. According to studies, increasing the CN by one number increases PM emissions by 8% while decreasing HC emissions by 4%. So, with CN 55, we're talking about a 32% increase in PM emissions. Aside from the pollution, I'm curious how DPFs and SCRs will be affected.
Vijin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 21:45   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijin View Post
Thank you for the update; I'll keep an eye on your posts. Despite the many encouraging comments in this thread, I am sceptical. I had previously wondered why, like high octane Petrol, high Cetane number (CN) never became popular. It appears that as the CN increases, so does the temperature in the combustion chamber, favouring the formation of particulate matter due to thermal cracking, which increases oxidation rates while decreasing unburned HC emissions and specific fuel consumption. According to studies, increasing the CN by one number increases PM emissions by 8% while decreasing HC emissions by 4%. So, with CN 55, we're talking about a 32% increase in PM emissions. Aside from the pollution, I'm curious how DPFs and SCRs will be affected.
No offence, but I seriously doubt that higher CN can lead to higher particulate matter in exhaust, because if that were the case, no govt (anywhere in the world) would allow the distribution or use of high CN fuels in any form of passenger or goods transportation. Also, in case of India, the IOC which is a PSU, would never start selling such a fuel now which is totally counterproductive to the BS6 regime.

Also with respect to DPFs and SCRs, again IOC must know that too, with numerous issues reported in BS6 diesels on the regular diesel itself. And not just BS6 diesels, if indeed PM levels go up by 32%, no car BS4 or BS6 would get a PUC pass running on XtraGreen I think

Last edited by Aditya : 10th November 2021 at 04:15. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 10th November 2021, 14:40   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishesh View Post
No offence, but I seriously doubt that higher CN can lead to higher particulate matter in exhaust,
None taken
I am only citing from a few journals that are freely available on the internet. Anyway, before I test it out, I'll wait for long-term usage findings from you and others.
Old 11th November 2021, 13:29   #35
BHPian

Hi guys...can anyone find the list of outlets for Xtragreen ? I can't seem to find it in Pune.
Dieselite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 15:45   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Friends, if anyone spots a bunk selling XtraGreen, please share it - irrespective of the city.

@Sebring, our regular IOC doesnt seem to have it. They had the high Octane petrol, so was hoping they will get this too. But no boards, no change in the pump labels.
Old 14th November 2021, 12:18   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselite View Post
Hi guys...can anyone find the list of outlets for Xtragreen ? I can't seem to find it in Pune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Friends, if anyone spots a bunk selling XtraGreen, please share it - irrespective of the city.
XG isn't available anywhere in BLR Urban/Rural districts as of now. The distribution seems quite weird as most pumps retailing this in KA are in random villages. No city other than MLR seems to have it here yet.

I've attached the lists of all pumps in KA and MH stocking XG as per IOCL site. They should really work on a filter on their website.

When working with the data, found that XP95 is available at a total of 391 pumps and XP100 at 15 pumps in KA. Not bad.

The website also has a column for E100's price. Looks like it will be launched soon.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf XG-KA.pdf (31.4 KB, 968 views)
File Type: pdf XG-MH.pdf (22.3 KB, 344 views)

Last edited by theredliner : 14th November 2021 at 12:30.
theredliner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 12:27   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
XG .. distribution seems quite weird as most pumps retailing this in KA are in random villages..
Interestingly crazy !

But looking at this crazy list, I wont be surprised if even this list isnt correct.

I was not able to find it on IOCL website, and sent a mail yesterday via the website to IOCL.
Old 14th November 2021, 12:34   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Interestingly crazy !

But looking at this crazy list, I wont be surprised if even this list isnt correct.

I was not able to find it on IOCL website, and sent a mail yesterday via the website to IOCL.
The data was actually pulled from IOCL website. I pasted the table into a spreadsheet and sorted it as the site doesn't have an option to filter based on the fuel type. (Link)
The data in this site is quite accurate from what I have seen - at least in terms of XP95 availability. Dr.Naren was able to fill up at one of the stations in this list.
So, even if XG isn't currently available at some of the pumps in the list, they should be getting it soon.

Last edited by theredliner : 14th November 2021 at 12:37.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 12:40   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The data in this site is quite accurate from what I have seen - at least in terms of XP95 availability. Dr.Naren was able to fill up at one of the stations in this list.
So, even if XG isn't currently available at some of the pumps in the list, they should be getting it soon.
Yes I visited the bunk based on your post .
XG is available at one more bunk in Mangalore which I have personally seen. The list seems to be accurate.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 17:50   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like the list is accurate. Only 6 cities, and 22 bunks in KA as of now.

Response from IOC customer care:

Quote:
Dear Sir, Thank you for your kind feedback. We regret for the inconvenience caused. XtraGreen Diesel is available in 22 Retail Outlet in Karnataka. We have launched in 6 cities of Mangalore, Belgaum, Bellary, Gulbarga, Davanagere and Bijapur. Currently We are planning to launch in Bangalore next few days. Kindly visit Indian Oil petrol pumps for all your fueling needs. With regards, Indian Oil
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 11:24   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

IOC messages on SM say that XtraGreen has 7% biodiesel, yet offers a higher cetane + benefits. Wonder how have they come up with this formulation.

On another note, GoI for some time now has been working other large sugar producing countries (ex: Brazil) to develop the market for the blends. In a way trying to grab the market here.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 10:00   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Noticed this at fuel pump after Surathkal(Mangala Fuel station), wanted to try but attendant mentioned they are yet to offer/start. Guess this will be lot more beneficial for a BS6 diesel.
It's available here now. Filled yesterday

IndianOil rolls out green fuel "XtraGreen" at 126 Fuel Stations across 63 cities in India-img_20211118_194919.jpg

This is my 2nd full tank with XtraGreen and I am loving the engine smoothness. FE looks slightly better with my pedal to metal driving . I used to get 14 kmpl average and now it is 15 kmpl.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 19th November 2021 at 10:02.
Dr.Naren is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 10:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IOC messages on SM say that XtraGreen has 7% biodiesel
After reading this line, I checked my cars manual to see whether Bio Diesel 7% B7 is allowed or not.

VW Vento 1.6 TDI 2011
Says No Bio-Diesel allowed

Hyundai Verna 1.6 CRDi 2018
Says Bio-Diesel allowed Max upto 7%

BMW X1 20d 2018
Says Bio-Diesel allowed Max upto 7%

I would suggest users to first check their car manual before filling up IOC XtraGreen B7 Diesel.

I'm of the opinion of sticking to normal diesel will be better for long term for your engine.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 20:02   #45
BHPian

Quote:
I've attached the lists of all pumps in KA and MH stocking XG as per IOCL site. They should really work on a filter on their website.
This is very useful info. Is it possible to fetch this info for Hyderabad as well?
Their site is a true mess indeed. I've been scouting to find a pump in Hyderabad without any success yet.
Vibhav-Van is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks