Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2022, 02:57   #61
BANNED

Re: IndianOil rolls out green fuel "XtraGreen" at 126 Fuel Stations across 63 cities in India

For Ford Figo 1.5Tdci BS4, the manual says:

Biodiesel Usage
Your vehicle is suitable for use with biodiesel blends up to 5% (B5). You can
achieve acceptable engine performance and durability using B5 by adhering to
below guidelines.

Safe to try the "XtraGreen"?
Old 7th January 2022, 13:37   #62
BHPian

Re: IndianOil rolls out green fuel "XtraGreen" at 126 Fuel Stations across 63 cities in India

I've now used extragreen for 3 tankfulls in my Innova Touring Sport and here are my observations:

1. Fuel economy has gone up marginally by around 5-7%. Just came back from a trip to Corbett and the overall economy for this trip was 14.0 kmpl tank to tank. I have done this trip numerous times and have never achieved more than 13.2 kmpl

2. The NVH of the engine has smoothened out considerably!
kapi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 13:45   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

So on my trip to North KA last week, I tried to get Xtragreen - both inside Bangalore, on th way to Tumkur - and between Hospet-Chitradurga. All 3 bunks said it is under testing. The third bunk guy finally explained that they need to first take out 5 litres of the fuel before they can pump to any car. Wonder what is the logic here that IOCL is using ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhphog View Post
Your vehicle is suitable for use with biodiesel blends up to 5% (B5).

XtraGreen must be 7% Bio-diesel.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 21:31   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhphog View Post
For Ford Figo 1.5Tdci BS4, the manual says:

Biodiesel Usage
Your vehicle is suitable for use with biodiesel blends up to 5% (B5). You can
achieve acceptable engine performance and durability using B5 by adhering to
below guidelines.

Have been using it in my Figo 1.5 since three weeks now. Quite happy with it. There is significant improvement in the smoothness of the vehicle and the vehicle does feel more eager to accelerate. Overall it feels consistently good and there are noticeable improvements in drivability.
blackbandit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 03:48   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
IndianOil's R&D has provided the proprietary chemical formulation in the form of Modified DMFA (Diesel Multi-Functional Additive), which is used for XtraGreen. This fuel offers several benefits over regular Diesel, including improved Fuel Economy by 5 to 6%, reduced Carbon Dioxide emissions (130 grams of CO2 for every litre of Diesel), reduced Carbon Monoxide emission by 5.29%, reduced NOx emissions by 4.99%, increased Cetane Number by 5 points, improved Lubricity, reduced Engine Noise and excellent Corrosion protection (NACE rating A).
Something is not right in this IOC's marketing blurb. Fuel efficiency increase would mean higher temperature of combustion which then would result in higher NOx emissions. I don't think any additive can reduce NOx emissions. That is why we have DEF and catalytic converters. The CO reduction does make sense though and CO2 emissions reduction is directly proportional to fuel efficiency increase.
Old 8th January 2022, 06:55   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The third bunk guy finally explained that they need to first take out 5 litres of the fuel before they can pump to any car. Wonder what is the logic here that IOCL is using ?
Ditto here for me, while I tried to fill XP95. Pumps that are not used on a daily basis, need this 5 litre test/flush to be done before they can dispense to any customer. They tried for 10 mins in my case, there was lot of air lock and also few debris, finally I filled ordinary fuel and made peace with it.
Old 9th January 2022, 15:17   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbandit View Post
Have been using it in my Figo 1.5 since three weeks now. Quite happy with it. There is significant improvement in the smoothness of the vehicle and the vehicle does feel more eager to accelerate. Overall it feels consistently good and there are noticeable improvements in drivability.
Thanks. Tried 3 hours after this post of yours and what a remarkable difference.
I don't know if its because of a stage 2 from wolf, or what. Power delivery is super smooth, car isn't running hotter than usual. I Was spinning my tyres in 3rd gear in damp road conditions.
bhphog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 22:44   #68
BHPian

I filled up xtragreen in Bangalore, but I am unable to find a pump in Chennai. Anyone can provide the list for Chennai?

My observations- Engine is smoother, didn’t really find a huge difference in mileage but very negligible.
Old 22nd January 2022, 21:12   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

For guys in Jayanagar esp, and adjacent areas of JP nagar / people who pass thru this area: This bunk near Raghavendra Matth has both Xtragreen and XP100:

https://goo.gl/maps/MZcHabqxw3gKCVfi6

It's a very new bunk, and a bit surprised to see it stock Xtragreen.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 12:08   #70
bht
BHPian

I filled up xtragreen in my 110PS Duster @ IOC COCO pump next to HP office on Whitefield road Mahadevapura Bangalore. i felt engine is smoother ( even though the car is due for service, been almost 1 year since oil change) and negligible increase in mileage, feel benefits will be more visible and significant on highway trip than city driving conditions.
Also, I should see more benefits after the service.
bht is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 14:30   #71
BHPian

Can this be used in XUV500 BS4 models? I looked into the car manual but the max percentage of biodiesel blend details are nowhere to be found!
mtnrajdeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 14:42   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
Can this be used in XUV500 BS4 models?
Our 2.2 litre engines were developed long back, before blending was brought in. Xtragreen being 7% blend, it may not be suitable for our engines.

Having said that, I finally found a couple of bunks near my place and plan to try it on my next fill. However, will ensure that there is at least 25% regular diesel in the tank so that the effective blending is less than 5%. Fingers crossed for this jugaad method.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 15:36   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Our 2.2 litre engines were developed long back, before blending was brought in. Xtragreen being 7% blend, it may not be suitable for our engines.

Having said that, I finally found a couple of bunks near my place and plan to try it on my next fill. However, will ensure that there is at least 25% regular diesel in the tank so that the effective blending is less than 5%. Fingers crossed for this jugaad method.
This is exactly the reason that is preventing me from trying out the new blend. Do let us know how your engine responds and fingers crossed hoping that there are no other issues.
Old 24th January 2022, 15:48   #74
BHPian

Has anyone else also faced lack of Turbo diesel/other premium diesel categories not being available? In contrast, even XP95 is available reasonably (Delhi NCR). Is Xtragreen the likely cause?
Old 24th January 2022, 15:53   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
This is exactly the reason that is preventing me from trying out the new blend. Do let us know how your engine responds and fingers crossed hoping that there are no other issues.
Your vehicle/engine may respond differently .. so better if you try it out separately

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks