Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2023, 19:49   #121
BHPian

Re: IndianOil rolls out green fuel "XtraGreen" at 126 Fuel Stations across 63 cities in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovins2004 View Post
but I noticed a sudden raise in RPM from 800 to 1000 at Idle
I doubt this has anything to do with XtraGreen. I faced this issue with back in 2014. The car started idling at 1000 RPM one fine day. I was not alone, quite a few people faced this. Eventually a couple of services later it went back to normal most likely due to a software update. I remember many people had posted about this in the Vento thread. Barring that, I did not have a single issue with the car and sold it of at 70K mark as we wanted to buy an auto box for the better half.

[EDIT] You can read about it here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...eview-498.html (Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review)

Last edited by SR-71 : 2nd January 2023 at 19:52.
SR-71 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 09:07   #122
BHPian

Re: IndianOil rolls out green fuel "XtraGreen" at 126 Fuel Stations across 63 cities in India

After filling at least 4 full tanks with XtraGreen for past 1 month, I can now surely say that the mileage has improved from 14kmpl to 16kmpl for my Carens D AT. Also the engine seems to be running smoother. Just to verify, I will revert back to normal diesel for next 2-3 full tanks to verify this.
ImranHyd is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 15:59   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

While filling up at one my regular bunks, I asked the pump attendant about the popularity of Xtrageen. He said it is quite popular, but then didnt expect what he said next - lots of cabbies also go for Xtragreen, even though it's about 3 rs costlier than regular diesel.

So looks like there is something good in Xtragreen
Old 13th January 2023, 17:16   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
While filling up at one my regular bunks, I asked the pump attendant about the popularity of Xtrageen. He said it is quite popular, but then didnt expect what he said next - lots of cabbies also go for Xtragreen, even though it's about 3 rs costlier than regular diesel.
Because it definitely gives an improvement in FE for the cabbies plus for the ones who run BS6 engines it prolongs DPF regen intervals by more than 20% which again reduces fuel consumption.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 17:37   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

So looks like there is something good in Xtragreen
I filled up XTRAGREEN (XG) for the first time ever during my return from Belur last Dec. For a 45 Liter tank capacity, I had first ensured to drive quite some distance after the low fuel warning light to have maximum of XG get into the car's tank and hence almost 42 liters went in.

While it will be utterly foolish to make statements like it was awesome at first crank, I knew for sure that the effect will start kicking in only after at least 80-100 km of driving. I did realise the effect of XG soon after Yediyur. Although I wouldn't explain much, the simplest change I noticed was the way the car was chugging at my usual highway speeds more smoother than it would. With the very light pressure on the accelerator pedal, I was able to maintain my usual speeds of 110-120 kmph and quick overtaking with a further tap felt even more effortless. The clatter at idle too felt more settled over normal diesel. While it is too early to comment on long term usage, I have only heard very positive reviews about XG from some of my friends and relatives, especially one from GJ who has an Etios D that has clocked over 2.6L km now.

IndianOil rolls out green fuel "XtraGreen" at 126 Fuel Stations across 63 cities in India-20221217_201230.jpg

Regarding cabbies tanking up XG, I would say it is a fact because at a fuel station where we stopped by to tank up my car, there was an Innova cab that also was filling XG.

I really think one needs to drive couple of tanks, mainly on the highways to realise the actual benefits of XG to come to conclusions. A fuel station attendant may just make statements to sell what he is expected to but end of the day the validation is something only an owner/driver can make by experiencing it himself.

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th January 2023 at 17:40.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 17:50   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
A fuel station attendant may just make statements to sell what he is expected to but end of the day the validation is something only an owner/driver can make by experiencing it himself.
This is quite possible, but being a regular I do chit-chat with the folks, and they have never asked me to try it.

One reason I am not trying out XG is the unknown part of effect on my BS4 Storme, of any ethanol type mix in XG.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 18:14   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One reason I am not trying out XG is the unknown part of effect on my BS4 Storme, of any ethanol type mix in XG.
Some reading for you - What is Xtragreen - https://iocl.com/pages/XtraGreen

What difference does higher Cetane number mean - https://web.archive.org/web/20070830...tentId=7009145

TLDR - If there is any effect this fuel has, it will prolong the life of your engine, reduce smoke emission and improve mileage and will also allow sedate driving at low RPMs without damaging the engine head in the long run.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 18:15   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is quite possible, but being a regular I do chit-chat with the folks, and they have never asked me to try it.
I do chit-chat too, especially when I once tanked up XP95 for the Baleno and asked why they don't have XG. For this he said, even for XP95, very less people like me come and ask for it specifically and earlier they had XTRA Mile Diesel and hardly anyone would ask for it. Even for XP95 he told me that they fill their underground tanks once in a month due to lower demand.

Hence, chit-chatting aside, you will really have to try it to know if there is any difference is what I am trying to say.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 18:32   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Some reading for you - What is Xtragreen - https://iocl.com/pages/XtraGreen
I have checked IOCL's pages for XG. The pages give the positive effects, but dont say what else is in it, apart from the additive. IOCL's earlier SMS messages said that XG contains upto 7% bio-diesel. I had even reached out to Tata motors on their twitter handle asking how much mix can our BS4 engines take, but as expected there was no follow-up response from them.

Speaking of Cetane numbers, the point had come up many years ago in the additives thread, when I first started with Elf's diesel additive. Long before System-D/G came up into more public view and usage.

Last edited by condor : 13th January 2023 at 18:35.
Old 13th January 2023, 18:38   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
the simplest change I noticed was the way the car was chugging at my usual highway speeds more smoother than it would. With the very light pressure on the accelerator pedal, I was able to maintain my usual speeds of 110-120 kmph and quick overtaking with a further tap felt even more effortless. The clatter at idle too felt more settled over normal diesel. While it is too early to comment on long term usage

Thank you for sharing this. I wholeheartedly agree with these observations. It is not evident at first, but after about 50 KMs, I did notice a perceivable change in the throttle response. The most evident change for me was the seamless pull from second gear onwards, idle speed and gentle tap to maintain speeds. I am a regular user of XG and use the IOC app to find the outlets when travelling inter-state.
sudeepg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 19:22   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have checked IOCL's pages for XG. The pages give the positive effects, but dont say what else is in it, apart from the additive. IOCL's earlier SMS messages said that XG contains upto 7% bio-diesel.
Not sure if Tata or any manufacturer would reply in technical detail to these questions. You would be lucky to get some scripted answer. But if you refer to analysis of bio diesel blends, data shows that upto 10% or so would not really change the characteristics of the fuel and its performance in the engines. B20 and above is what would make a change to various parameters such as the water content, flash point, freezing point etc. Thats why it isnt highlighted in their product specs nor a warning is given unlike IOCs E20 petrol, which is highlighted in every bunk and dispenser so that only people who know what it means would end up using it.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 19:40   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
But if you refer to analysis of bio diesel blends, data shows that upto 10% or so would not really change the characteristics of the fuel and its performance in the engines. B20 and above is what would make a change to various parameters such as the water content, flash point, freezing point etc..
Thanks, @audioholic.

Based on Parag's posts above, I think I will give it a shot next time I am heading out long distance.
Old 13th January 2023, 22:30   #133
BHPian

In my Bs6 fortuner Xtragreen is the best i have used so far, normal diesel dpf regen used to come on @ 120-150 kms, with Xtragreen its @ 250-280kms. Engine clatter is marginally better, feels smoother as well, Kmpl has improved by 1 kmpl. Overall am pretty happy with it.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 05:49   #134
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I use XP 95 for my Highness and Xtragreen for my XUV 700.I have not checked difference in fuel efficiency levels in both the vehicles but the engine feels much much smoother. Even when revving hard or maintaining high speed for long distances, the engine feels unstressed. The Indian oil dealer in Erode where I fill up is the only dealer who gives 20 Rs fuel free for every 1000 Rs of fuel filled. This is for both xp 95 and Xtragreen
Old 14th January 2023, 07:42   #135
BHPian

Quote:
I have checked IOCL's pages for XG. The pages give the positive effects, but dont say what else is in it, apart from the additive. IOCL's earlier SMS messages said that XG contains upto 7% bio-diesel.
IOCL seems pretty secretive about the contents of XG. Very rarely we can find a reference to 'bio-fuel'. There is a reference of 7% 'bio-fuel' in one of their tweets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishesh View Post
Hi everyone
XtraGreen being 55 Cetane as against 51 Cetane of BS6 regular diesel has a higher Cetane gain of approx 8%.
This gentleman says that cetane numbers increased from 42 to 47.
Twitter Link

Kia Carens manual says the following:
Quote:
Diesel engines must be operated only on
commercially available diesel fuel that
complies with EN 590 or comparable
standard. (EN stands for "European
Norm").
EN590 compliant diesel fuel allows upto 7% bio-fuel.
ImranHyd is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks