Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2022, 18:11   #91
BHPian

Re: IndianOil rolls out green fuel "XtraGreen" at 126 Fuel Stations across 63 cities in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
Check the battery voltage with the car switched off and car switched on too and post them here.
Thanks revvedup, might be. I'll ensure to check this weekend and post the readings. Current battery should be three years old by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjeev911 View Post
B7 should not really cause an issue for any Diesel motor as there is an agreement with all fuel component manufacturers & also a declaration that mentions that all fuel mixtures until B7 will not have any impact on the component functionality!
I was under the same impression but then no issues reported after switching to regular diesel, made be believe the other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumaran93R View Post
I had the same high idling issue on my Vento a couple of months back. Please check the battery voltage and alternator. And avoid b7 diesel. VAG cars generally don't like diesel additives.
Thanks, Kumaran, for your inputs, I’ll get the batteries checked. Rightly said, it’s better to stay away from fuel with additives unless OEMs recommend.
glovins2004 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 20:21   #92
Senior - BHPian

Re: IndianOil rolls out green fuel "XtraGreen" at 126 Fuel Stations across 63 cities in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
IOC messages on SM say that XtraGreen has 7% biodiesel, yet offers a higher cetane + benefits. Wonder how have they come up with this formulation.
Quote:
Do you have you a fuel spec sheet for extragreen to support your bio-diesel B7 blend hypothesis ?
You may refer Post number 42 (Attached Above) on this thread which clearly mention XtraGreen is Bio-Diesel 7% referred as B7.

Quote:
The Indian government has been pushing biodiesel and ethanol blend petrol for a while now. So most PSU OMC's migh transition to it for all types of diesel, irrespective of whether it is extra green or normal.
Point is older car are not compatible with Bio-Diesel B7 and owners at their own discretion should refer manual before trying it.

Ethanol currently is at 8.5% which wont make much difference. My Honda Activa BSIII 2012 is not ethanol compatible but running along with BSVI E8.5 fuel.

Once Ethanol level reaches E20 or E25 level, then we may see issues in car & bikes not compatible with Ethanol or E10 compatible.
Old 9th March 2022, 20:36   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
You may refer Post number 42 (Attached Above) on this thread which clearly mention XtraGreen is Bio-Diesel 7% referred as B7.

Point is older car are not compatible with Bio-Diesel B7 and owners at their own discretion should refer manual before trying it.

Ethanol currently is at 8.5% which wont make much difference. My Honda Activa BSIII 2012 is not ethanol compatible but running along with BSVI E8.5 fuel.

Once Ethanol level reaches E20 or E25 level, then we may see issues in car & bikes not compatible with Ethanol or E10 compatible.
With all due respect, just cause someone writes something does not mean it is true. Let’s cite actual specs and not hearsay, doing so just spreads rumours
Old 9th March 2022, 20:56   #94
BHPian

Xtragreen is NOT biodiesel. It is just normal diesel with an additive like how Xtrapremium is normal petrol with additives, albeit targeted at mileage and emissions, hence called as "green".

Normal diesel is targeted to have a 5% biodiesel blend only by 2030.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 21:29   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

IOC official press release / website doesn't mention the word biodiesel anywhere.

There was a tweet in July 2021 by IOC which said it is 7 percentage biodiesel blend.

IndianOil rolls out green fuel "XtraGreen" at 126 Fuel Stations across 63 cities in India-screenshot_20220309212655.jpg

But no mention of the same when the fuel was made available in various cities from November 2021.
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 11:50   #96
BHPian

As committed, I did check my batteries today, pl find the readings below.

When engine shut off

IndianOil rolls out green fuel "XtraGreen" at 126 Fuel Stations across 63 cities in India-img_20220312_102447.jpg

Engine on

IndianOil rolls out green fuel "XtraGreen" at 126 Fuel Stations across 63 cities in India-img_20220312_102516.jpg

I guess the voltage reading of 12.8V is acceptable when engine is shut off, but I saw 13.6V when the engine running, this is just below the expected voltage range. However, the technician insisted to change the batteries as its already on its last stage of life and might give up any time, its 3 years old by now. So, let me change the batteries and observe how it goes.

Here is a twist to my story, sorry if I’m confusing you all. To further isolate the issue, I filled V power diesel yesterday and went on a drive for about 50km, much to my surprise the same issue happened again after driving for around 30+km’s, I noticed while I was waiting at a signal, and I could see the Idle RPM back to normal after 10 minutes of driving.

I did mention in my previous post that I have used V power diesel continuously for two years but never seen this RPM issue.

At this juncture, I can’t blame Xtra green or V power for the RPM issues, so I guess it should be the batteries as most of you have commented else any other underlying issues in my car, not sure if older diesel engines have compatibility issues with additives, Vento is at 138k on Odo.

let me go ahead and change the batteries and drive with the remaining V power diesel for some more days. I’ll come back soon to report out. Thanks all for your inputs.
Old 31st March 2022, 18:01   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
Strangely enough didn't find this in COCO petrol pump at Hyderabad. How much small it be, It's definitely a step in right direction. How much is the price difference? Unless the fleet operator adopt it widely there will be hardly any impact on ground.
Not sure if someone has mentioned this before in this thread but this is now available in the COCO pump near lemon tree hotel i.e. opposite Raheja Mindspace at Hi-tech City.

The pump is undergoing renovation and this particular diesel is the first one when you enter the huge setup. They were pushing me for it and I gave it a shot anyway. However, too early to give any comments. The price difference was 4rs approximately.
Old 5th April 2022, 13:13   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Our 2.2 litre engines were developed long back, before blending was brought in. Xtragreen being 7% blend, it may not be suitable for our engines.

Having said that, I finally found a couple of bunks near my place and plan to try it on my next fill. However, will ensure that there is at least 25% regular diesel in the tank so that the effective blending is less than 5%. Fingers crossed for this jugaad method.
Any feedback of XtraGreen on 2.2l engines? I am planning to use this on Scorpio Mhawk, how different is it from Cetane boosters (Cetane-X)?
gypsyFreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 13:21   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
Any feedback of XtraGreen on 2.2l engines? I am planning to use this on Scorpio Mhawk, how different is it from Cetane boosters (Cetane-X)?
IOCL says that the Cetane rating is higher. But I didn't see that much of an advantage of using Xtragreen at its higher price, Over using a dash of Addon-D or System-D with regular diesel.

I had tweeted to Tata Motors asking about the effect of the 7% ethanol mix on our 2.2's, but no response after more than a month.

Hence dropping the usage at this time. Also because most of the bunks I use regularly don't have it. Maybe will try it on my next long trip and see how it works.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st February 2023 at 05:05. Reason: Typo
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 13:26   #100
BHPian

Quote:
IOCL says that the Cetane rating is higher. But I didnt see that much of an advantage of using Xtragreen at its higher price, Over using a dash of Addon-D or System-D with regular diesel.

I had tweeted to Tata Motors asking about the effect of the 7% ethanol mix on our 2.2's, but no response after more than a month.

Hence dropping the usage at this time. Also because most of the bunks I use regularly dont hvae it. May be will try it on my next long trip and see how it works.
Thanks.
I am currently on Adon D and regular diesel since past 2 years. Scorpio feels smooth, but FE is between 10-11 in highways.
Have few long trips coming, will try Cetane-X / XtraGreen and see if it affects FE positively.
Old 5th April 2022, 13:32   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Scorpio feels smooth, but FE is between 10-11 in highways..
Unless you are driving 120-130 types, you should get a higher FE. Some basic maintenance work can help. With Addon-D, your injectors are likely not dirty, but do check air filter before you head out. Air pressure in tyres etc.

Try System-D also, instead of Addon-D. Just in case.
Old 5th April 2022, 13:54   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Unless you are driving 120-130 types, you should get a higher FE. Some basic maintenance work can help. With Addon-D, your injectors are likely not dirty, but do check air filter before you head out. Air pressure in tyres etc.

Try System-D also, instead of Addon-D. Just in case.
Air filter, tyre pressure, engine oil are in good shape/condition. Mine is LX 4wd, additional weight might also affect the FE.
Ya, i am a pedal to metal driver, recent Goa trip of 5 adults with 120-140 speeds on highways gave this low FE.
For the upcoming drives, i have promised myself to keep the speedo at 100, so will see what FE i get, then will try XG/Cetane boosters
One question, does Adon-D and Cetane boosters have different additives for different purpose (Injector cleaning vs FE boosters)?

Last edited by gypsyFreak : 5th April 2022 at 13:55. Reason: typo
Old 5th April 2022, 14:04   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ya, i am a pedal to metal driver, ..

One question, does Adon-D and Cetane boosters have different additives for different purpose (Injector cleaning vs FE boosters)?
You have answered your self reg speeds and FE

The companies do not mention what is in the cetane booster or in Xtragreen. Addon-D has Elf's EMDFA (the FA would stand for Fuel additive, the D may be for diesel).
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 18:16   #104
BHPian

Would we have the latest information of xtragreen dispensing pumps in Pune in April 22?
Old 17th July 2022, 17:26   #105
BHPian

Have been using XtraGreen for a while now and will detail out my experience:

I have a Mahindra XUV 5OO W11 (O) AT bought in August 2021. For the first 6,000 kms, I have used normal diesel from an Indian Oil COCO pump here in Hyderabad.

From March 2022, I started using XtraGreen from the same pump. The initial observation was a smooth drive and lesser noise. It has been almost 4 months now and have completed another 4,000 kms while using XtraGreen exclusively from this COCO pump.

However, for the past 1,000 kms or more, I have noticed that the sound from engine has increased and the pick-up has gone down a little. I assumed this was because car was nearing the 10,000 km service interval and would be back to normal once it is completed. However, I was not able to convince myself with this reasoning.

Earlier this month, I happened to travel in a 25,000km driven 1-year old Tata Safari (diesel) and was shocked with how smooth the car was pulling. This completely threw me off and made me realise how poor my car was performing. My better half agreed that our car is not performing well and this cemented my belief since she did not know that I was using XtraGreen.

Earlier this week, I switched back to normal diesel and could sense the difference again. Car became smoother and pick-up was back to how it was.

My question to the esteemed members here is, has anyone had similar experience? Or is this because the Mahindra engine is not suited for something like XtraGreen?
brownkaiser is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks