Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2022, 08:37   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibaddh View Post

It does not matter what the tech behind the car is, the only question the consumer considers is value. Slavia just won't have enough over the City to command 2L premium!
Well value is subjective, 1.5 TSI is anyway not going to be a crowd puller but mostly restricted to an enthusiast choice. And for that group a premium of 1.5 lakhs over City might be justifiable. Atleast I will be happy to put that additional money, as 1.5 TSI is much superior in performance to 1.5 vTEC (infact 1 TSI is faster than 1.5 vTEC - Rapid vs. current City).

Agree City definitely has its strengths - its premium, reliable, spacious and has a good performance. But it is not fun to drive, especially at highway speeds. It feels very light and floaty.

Having said that don’t think Slavia will beat City in sales. And this is where Skoda has to come price 1 TSI below or on par with City. But seeing recent prices of Skoda, not sure whether they will.
Old 19th January 2022, 09:15   #197
BHPian

Considering Skoda may not want to dilute their premium brand, they will think twice before pricing Slavia (1.0 L) below City. If they wanted the numbers game, they had that opportunity with Kushaq, which they could have priced better, especially for the interiors they were selling with. Look at the year end discounts they were willing to give, rather than pricing it right in the beginning itself. Now, they have a real chance with Slavia and I hope they do not blow it.

If they price it below or close to City though, be sure to book it immediately as we can guess how long that pricing will last (looking at the Kodiaq pricing gimmick !)

Shouldn't they differentiate the 1.0 L and 1.5 L in Slavia with some sort of badging?

Last edited by stringbh : 19th January 2022 at 09:19.
Old 19th January 2022, 10:07   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
Considering Skoda may not want to dilute their premium brand, they will think twice before pricing Slavia (1.0 L) below City.
I too agree with this. But on a separate topic, I am actually curious to know how did the earlier Rapid from the same Skoda end up being cheaper in comparison to the competition. The Rapid was cheaper than the City by a good margin and I think it was cheaper than the Verna as well. How did this happen? Did the launch price of Rapid undercut the competition or is the price difference is something which happened over the years? Can someone shed more light on this?
Old 19th January 2022, 10:26   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
I too agree with this. But on a separate topic, I am actually curious to know how did the earlier Rapid from the same Skoda end up being cheaper in comparison to the competition. The Rapid was cheaper than the City by a good margin and I think it was cheaper than the Verna as well. How did this happen? Did the launch price of Rapid undercut the competition or is the price difference is something which happened over the years? Can someone shed more light on this?
That's because the Rapid was launched in 2011! At that time, it was priced on par with the competition. Over time others launched newer versions which were bigger and had more features, hence the higher prices as compared to Rapid and Vento.
Old 19th January 2022, 11:18   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Well value is subjective, 1.5 TSI is anyway not going to be a crowd puller but mostly restricted to an enthusiast choice. And for that group a premium of 1.5 lakhs over City might be justifiable. Atleast I will be happy to put that additional money, as 1.5 TSI is much superior in performance to 1.5 vTEC (infact 1 TSI is faster than 1.5 vTEC - Rapid vs. current City).
The 1.5 TSI can be a serious crowd puller only if VW/Skoda actually advertise more on the cylinder deactivation technology. Some of the mileage figures seen by owners is diesel like as long as you don't go pedal to the metal.

It's a win win situation for people in Delhi where you may need a diesel but can't keep it for 10 years.

But of course, there are certain conditions it needs to meet to go into the 2 cylinder mode.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 11:36   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
The 1.5 TSI can be a serious crowd puller only if VW/Skoda actually advertise more on the cylinder deactivation technology. Some of the mileage figures seen by owners is diesel like as long as you don't go pedal to the metal.
Will also help if Skoda puts this engine in the cheaper variants as well. I know people who would have bought the 1.5 TSI Kushaq if it would have been available in the Active or the Ambition variants rather than reserving it to just the Style variant.

There are people (especially those who are leaning towards brands which offer better driving experience) who would pick up a better drivers car even though it does not offer all the top of the line features.
germin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 14:29   #202
BHPian

Skoda has given the hint and seems like they will launch the Slavia on 25th January as per below link.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CY5tTVvv...dium=copy_link
Old 19th January 2022, 14:32   #203
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Slavia launch on 25th January or 5th February - Link

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-20220119_144640.jpg

Skoda Slavia has been spotted sans camouflage, dealership cars?

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-smartselect_20220119143006_chrome.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-smartselect_20220119143030_chrome.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-smartselect_20220119143020_chrome.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 19th January 2022 at 15:02.
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 14:49   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

I honestly expect the 1.0TSi to be on par with Honda City pricing, with the 1.5TSi only available in top end guise at a premium to the City.
As much as people may say the City would be better VFM : every package has it's ups and downs. I expect the Slavia to handle Indian roads better : ground clearance, and also provide better ride and handling package while maintaining similar features as the City at a similar price point. The 6 speed TC auto also gains brownie points over the CVT of the city.
The city on the other hand would have softer ride quality, better finishes (as seen by the detailing - or lack off - in the Kushaq) and the perception of lower maintenance.

The 1.5 TSi would be fair in commanding the premium as to be honest, it's the only sporty sedan out there (and sibling Virtus) unless one ups their budget to get the new Octavia. The market has proven that most buyers will prefer the 1.0 and the 1.5 will be a rarity (much like the S-Cross 1.6, Octavia vRS, etc.)
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 22:13   #205
BHPian

Price reveal by early March as per Skoda India !!!
And Mr. Zac is of the opinion that deliveries will start from Early March... Doesn’t fit in !!

I think, it's high time already, Prices should have been revealed by now.
Already been 2 months since global debut in Nov.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot-20220119-10.01.16-pm.png  

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot-20220119-10.10.19-pm.png  

Old 19th January 2022, 22:18   #206
BHPian

Looking at what they did for Kodiaq by hiking prices in 48 hours, maybe they want to look at bookings and interest and accordingly milk the cow. It seems every week they would be looking at all this data and tuning the prices

Overall not a good move by Skoda and somehow with all the 'chip shortages' and being a seller's market, customers are taken for a ride. I just hope we get over this phase by 1st half of 2022
neel911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 08:43   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Don't think these are the dealership display cars. IMO these cars are the Test Drive cars and hence, the small bits of camouflage all around, like Skoda do with customer cars as well.
Old 21st January 2022, 11:53   #208
Senior - BHPian

Skoda India announces the start of production of the all-new Slavia at its manufacturing facility in Chakan, Maharashtra.

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-20220121_115223.jpg

Sneak peek into the manufacturing of Slavia

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20220121121435_youtube.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20220121121454_youtube.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20220121121510_youtube.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20220121121527_youtube.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20220121121551_youtube.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20220121121612_youtube.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20220121121630_youtube.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20220121121640_youtube.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20220121121714_youtube.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 21st January 2022 at 12:19.
Venkatesh is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 13:57   #209
BHPian

Hey guys,

So I called up a dealer person in Kerala and he mentioned the following,

1. 1.0L TSI automatic top-end to be priced around 19 lakhs OTR
2. 1.5L TSI automatic top-end to be priced around 23 lakhs OTR

He also mentioned that cars will be in the showroom by middle of February and with customer deliveries towards the middle of March.

I hope the part with the OTR prices are wrong, because it looks ridiculous to me.

Any other enthusiasts have similar experience with estimated prices?
thealtoman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 14:20   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealtoman View Post
Hey guys,

I hope the part with the OTR prices are wrong, because it looks ridiculous to me.
Any other enthusiasts have similar experience with estimated prices?
I was speaking to a Skoda SA on whatsapp a few days earlier and he was mentioning about Kushaq being offered with a discount. When I asked him when the details of Slavia will be available, he never replied after that Not sure what sort of an indication that is.

Personally to me, if they price the Slavia higher than the Kushaq, they can keep their car and I would not be interested. I do not see a reason to charge a premium for the Slavia especially when none of the C segment sedans are priced so high. The OTR for the top end City/Verna in Bangalore are at 18L. This includes the Verna 1.0 Turbo DCT. I do not think the Slavia 1.0 can command a huge premium here. Coming to the 1.5 with DSG, I feel the premium charged should be not more than 1.5-2L especially if the 1.0 is not aggressively priced. Beyond this, I feel the car already has quite some cost cutting done to not justify such a high price. The only benefit above Kushaq is the space.
audioholic is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks