Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2020, 16:34   #61
BHPian

Re: License Renewal

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre13 View Post
My 20 year old booklet license expired mid-April in Mumbai. Since it was a booklet licence, I was unable to retrieve any information on the RTO Mumbai portal. Due to the lockdown in the city, I'm also unable to do anything until the RTO opens. What should I do about the validity? I need to step out every week to buy groceries and an worried about being caught by cops for the expired licence. Any idea how long will the validity be extended considering the lockdown situation?

It's till 30th June.

https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan//...March-2020.pdf
rjainv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 17:17   #62
BANNED

No need to worry about lost license and RCs as there is a Government order issued which states we can show digital form of these documents via an authorised app like digilocker or mparivahan.

It is authentic and it will suffice.

You need to register there and provide all the details
Old 11th May 2020, 01:26   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjainv View Post
That's extremely helpful. Thank you so much!

Last edited by Sheel : 24th October 2020 at 07:34. Reason: Non forum smilie. Please use smilies present on Team-BHP.
Old 19th May 2020, 00:33   #64
BHPian

My 20 year old DL expired on 20th Apr 2020. Due to the Lockdown I was unable to renew.
(Edit) I see that the government has extended all validity to 30th June 2020. Hopefully it should be easy to get this done soon after things reopen without too much hassle.

Last edited by diyguy : 19th May 2020 at 00:37. Reason: Didn't notice the earlier post linking to GO extending validity of all auto documents
Old 19th May 2020, 09:04   #65
BHPian

Electronics city RTO DL test

Does anyone know if the Electronics city RTO DL testing center is open for giving driving tests?
I could not get any info.
Old 4th June 2020, 23:12   #66
BHPian

All the RTOs must be open in Bangalore. I had been to RTO-Gnanabharathi (KA41) for renewal and it’s pretty much a hassle free experience.

My license had expired in Apr-2020. I had to renew, change address and change of name. I had officially changed my name last year. I went to a local driving school like most to avoid the hassles at RTO. To my dismay, the guy asked me 3800 bucks to do the above. I asked him some breakup details to which he said, “Too many things to do”. I decided to check it out myself. Here’s what I did. Probably, some of you may find it helpful.

Here’s what I did.
1. Fill up the application online. Try to use Internet explorer instead of Chrome or Firefox.
2. Scan and upload all documents needed for address change, name change.
3. The website would not allow you to proceed to the next step until all the documents are uploaded. Ensure you have the right size of picture and signature scanned.
4. Get a medical certificate from a govt doctor. Best is to get it in one of the shops bang opposite to the RTO. This will cost you 100 bucks. Once it’s done, the medical certificate also needs to be uploaded to the same application.
The same shop can do it for you if you couldn’t do it yourself.
5. Book a slot as available. This is mandatory and without this, your request will be turned down.

The license must be put in a small cover; likewise also get an empty envelope for register post (with Rs. 20 stamp affixed). Make sure your name and address is written legibly on the envelope. Your license will arrive in this envelope through a registered post.

If you had managed to pay the fee online without errors, go straight to counter 11. Otherwise, remit the fee indicated in your application. Mine cost me Rs. 751 plus taxes for Smart card (Rs.50).
Your documents will be inspected and if everything is in order, you should be called for a photograph, and then the document submission and receipt of acknowledgement.

The entire process took 1 hour for me as I had to rush outside for missing plastic cover and medical certificate. You can make sure you have these already to avoid getting in and out. You should be done in 30 min, even with a mild rush.

So, please don’t pay additional money to agents to renew your license. It’s a straight forward procedure, well for most of us. I do understand that there may be exceptions for people getting renewals for licenses issued in other State’s RTO.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by hellraizer : 4th June 2020 at 23:15.
hellraizer is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 19:31   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraizer View Post
All the RTOs must be open in Bangalore. I had been to RTO-Gnanabharathi (KA41) for renewal and it’s pretty much a hassle free experience.

Here’s what I did.
1. Fill up the application online. Try to use Internet explorer instead of Chrome or Firefox.
My 20 year old license is about to expire in a day or two. I was planning to go via an agent, however the steps you shared here looks simple.

Please could you share the link you used to fill up the online application.
Old 17th August 2020, 20:34   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
My 20 year old license is about to expire in a day or two. I was planning to go via an agent, however the steps you shared here looks simple.

1. Go to https://sarathi.parivahan.gov.in/sarathiservice/
2. Select your current state
3. On left menu, DL apply online-> services on DL

It's pretty straight forward process, no need to go through agents. In either case you will have to make a trip to RTO, so why bother with agents.
rjainv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 21:09   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post

Quote:
2. Select your current state
3. On left menu, DL apply online-> services on DL

It's pretty straight forward process, no need to go through agents. In either case you will have to make a trip to RTO, so why bother with agents.
The link provided above works. Use Internet Explorer or Firefox as your browser.
One small hint is that you will have to reduce the size of the photo (size and dimension both) to the specified value. You could use Paint or any other Software that you have handy to edit images.

Your old license must be put inside a small zip-lock plastic cover.
Also, don’t forget the envelope and the medical certificate. Medical certificate is a must for renewal.

You should get both of these in the shops next to RTO. Some of these shops can also help you upload documents, should you have troubles. You just have to have the application number handy; you will receive an application number once you submit the initial application, this application number will serve as your logon and uploading of documents in case you need to modify any of your uploads.

Also make sure you have an appointment. The time is not important, but an appointment is a must. Only that day, you need to submit your application.

You don’t need an agent to accomplish this. Just set aside a couple of hours.

All the best and PM me if you need any further help

Best Regards.
hellraizer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 22:28   #70
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraizer View Post
The link provided above works. Use Internet Explorer or Firefox as your browser.
Thanks rjaniv and hellraizer for the details, unfortunately my license does not seem to be in the database. It takes me to a manual page to do data entry but Bangalore does not allow enduser to do the same.
Did some googling and found the below form thread

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...ngalore.33921/

Anyway heading over to the RTO to check out the options.
Old 17th August 2020, 22:41   #71
Senior - BHPian

I have old booklet type driving license which will expire in Dec-2020.

Can I apply online?

What's the procedure for this ?
Old 18th August 2020, 13:53   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
I have old booklet type driving license which will expire in Dec-2020.

Can I apply online?

What's the procedure for this ?
The very first thing you need to do is to check if your old booklet type driving license shows up in online database or not. Either try directly on sarathi website, or try importing in digilocker.

For me, I had a 5 digit license number, yet I could search for it in digilocker, and it pulled up correct DL using name/DOB etc and give me proper long DL number that is recognised by online database. I could then use that number to apply online.
rjainv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 14:59   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for this @rjainv.
I followed the instructions and selected state/RTO
The page says
Quote:
4. Driving Licence Test Slot Booking -required only for Additional Endorsement of Driving Licence(AEDL)
Does this mean, I do not need to give the driving test again (since I am merely renewing)?
Also, does it matter now I need glasses (although only for reading), when initially I didn't? Do the glasses change my medical category or anything?
Old 18th August 2020, 15:11   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The very first thing you need to do is to check if your old booklet type driving license shows up in online database or not. Either try directly on sarathi website, or try importing in digilocker.
Thanks.
I tried Digilocker and sarathi website. The license is not showing up as it was issued in the year 2000 and records for this year are not converted in digital form in the concerned RTO. Last year I did the green tax for my 15 year old bike, which was a 2004 model. Even these records were not in digital form and had to be extracted manually.

I guess its better for me to go through an agent.

My license expires in Dec-2020, so can I apply now or is it 3 months before.
Old 18th August 2020, 16:18   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Thanks for this @rjainv.
I followed the instructions and selected state/RTO
The page says

Does this mean, I do not need to give the driving test again (since I am merely renewing)?
Also, does it matter now I need glasses (although only for reading), when initially I didn't? Do the glasses change my medical category or anything?
If you are doing a renewal, you don't need to give driving test again. You do need to submit medical certificate. Glasses are not a issue.

However, see below on renewal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Thanks.
I tried Digilocker and sarathi website. The license is not showing up as it was issued in the year 2000 and records for this year are not converted in digital form in the concerned RTO. Last year I did the green tax for my 15 year old bike, which was a 2004 model. Even these records were not in digital form and had to be extracted manually.

I guess its better for me to go through an agent.

My license expires in Dec-2020, so can I apply now or is it 3 months before.

If your current license is not in database, then the correct procedure is to go to issuing RTO, and get them to upload the details to online database, and then apply for renewal.
You can apply for renewal not before 1 month from expiry date of current DL.

If above is not possible, perhaps because you are in a different state now and can't make a visit to original RTO to get details uploaded, then what I have seen others do is apply for a fresh license.
In that case you have to go through full route of written test, learners license and then driving license.

You would have to pick which one is less painful for you. My recommendation is #1 as that is correct procedure.
rjainv is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks