Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2020, 17:05   #106
Team-BHP Support

Re: License Renewal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
RTO's going digital is a reality but has it simplified the process for an ordinary citizen is to be experienced to be believed....

When I walked up to the building I saw her standing outside waiting for me and she says the guys there are forcing anyone going in to the campus to get a Covid test done, the medical teams were also there. The whole thing didn't look confidence inspiring and seemed like a risk just going in there. This seems to be a new scam here.
I think whatever gains achieved by digitalization has been dismantled by Covid-19. You have to admire the RTO officials and touts for their success in defeating the progress made in the past couple years.

I belong to the same RTO and had renewed my DL last year without any help or bribe. Early this year I needed address change, I had applied for the change and also managed to pay the fee online. But I delayed submitting my DL since I had back-to-back test drives of Vellfire and Honda City in Feb and March. I had planned to submit the DL after the Honda City TD in March, but pandemic changed all the plans. With the current situation of covid-19 test scam to enter the RTO, I have no interest in approaching the RTO.

There is something really fishy going on. You can go to Registrar's office for property registration without even wearing mask, but RTO requires a covid-19 test? What is happening here?
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 17:27   #107
BANNED

For renewal of an already expired license - at what stage is one legally in the clear to drive on the road?

1. After making application online and getting some acknowledgement that renewal process is under progress?
2. After submitting all required documents in RTO physically then waiting for license to be posted to ones address?

Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 18:27   #108
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
For renewal of an already expired license - at what stage is one legally in the clear to drive on the road?
I think it should be the latter (#2) since online submission alone will not trigger any workflow at the RTO

Also, as per the MORTH notification, if your DL expired during Feb-Dec this year, it automatically gets extended validity till 31 Dec 2020.

The whole online & digital thing is such a sham actually - it needs the offline process of visiting the RTO for payment (in case it didn't work online), verification of documents by RTO superintendent and then the photo to be taken.

I still don't understand why they simply can't link Aadhaar to DL (with Aadhaar authentication for verification) and greatly simplify this process and maybe even avoid the visit to the RTO altogether, but alas therein lies the whole parallel economy of the RTO and subsidiaries, they're all doing roaring business from what I gathered today first hand during my visit to RTO office and the nearby office of the agent.

Edit:
Quote:
Will update once I have more details, fingers crossed.
The agent just called me to inform that payment has been done today and we need to visit tomorrow afternoon for the photo.

Last edited by NPV : 7th December 2020 at 18:42.
Old 9th December 2020, 12:46   #109
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
An slot needs to be booked and you need to visit the RTO only on the date booked. Without this the biometrics cannot be processed and will be rejected.
60 slots are available per day in the afternoons, but agents have their own quota. The time does not matter as all the processing is done from 10.30 to 1 pm on first come basis.
Based on my experience yesterday (went with the agent though but I also saw other applicants themselves at the counters too), wanted to quickly update about this part.
1. When you choose slots online for the Biometrics (Photo & sign only), the options are for 2:30-3:40pm & 3:30-4:30pm - Choose one of them

2. Go to the RTO at the time slot you've chosen (there is no "mandatory" COVID test drama beyond 1pm at Kasturi Nagar). For DL services, the counters are all at the rear side of the building.
-Go to cash counter first (if payment wasn't made online)
-Proceed to DL Superintendent counter which is right next to cash counter. DL superintendent will do a quick check odf documents, ask any clarifications and sign your acknowledgement sheet
-Proceed to photo counter which also close by to Cash and DL Superintendent counters. Get photo taken, sign on the track pad, pay Rs.60 (the fee is actually Rs.58, so where that Rs.2 per applicant goes is anyone's guess, but this is minuscule compared to all the other dealings that happen at the RTO's!
**Also, the number of applicants is very less in the afternoons, I'm still wondering why the mad rush in the mornings

Quote:
The agent just called me to inform that payment has been done today and we need to visit tomorrow afternoon for the photo.
We had visited in the afternoon yesterday and accompanied the Agent to the RTO at 4pm. Hardly 10 applicants were there, but the DL Superintendent was in a meeting so we had to wait for about 20 minutes. He just confirmed some details mentioned on the application and signed on the Acknowledgment sheet, didn't ask to see the Original Aadhaar/other proof documents. Next up was photograph and after that the broker took the entire folder with him.
I checked status of the application online and saw that another slot for Thursday has been automatically allotted and that's when the Agent will submit the forms and original DL. He will receive the Card once it is ready and inform me to collect it, maybe 2-3 weeks later.

**In cases where an Agent is involved, the Envelope with postal stamps is not returned, obviously it's for the personal use of the RTO staff!
This organization just ceases to amuse me, it's a full scale economy running independently

Last edited by NPV : 9th December 2020 at 12:58.
NPV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 16:24   #110
BHPian

My license was expired in May and I was trying to get renewed in KA03 RTO. Created online application few months before, but stuck at uploading medical certificate. Yesterday I had to visit my hometown due to some urgency and incidentally saw NPV's experience in kasturi nagar RTO. So today morning thought of checking my local RTO(Madurai south RTO) where I took my license initially. Contacted a person who runs a shop in front of RTO and asked him the details. He told, if I can come morning around 9am with original DL and two photos, then renewal can be completed today itself.

So visited that place, he cancelled my earlier KA03 application and created new one, paid Rs.900. Then he gave me the printed application with original DL and asked to submit inside the RTO office. Submitted the application and waited for an hour or so, they called me inside to take photo. After photo session, asked me to collect the DL at 5.30 evening.

I told my brother to collect DL and left to Bangalore So all in all maximum two hours, all done.

Around 11.40 or so got a vahaan message that my application is approved, by that time m-parivahan app showing May 2030 as expiry for my DL.
Old 9th December 2020, 18:35   #111
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I think whatever gains achieved by digitalization has been dismantled by Covid-19. You have to admire the RTO officials and touts for their success in defeating the progress made in the past couple years.

There is something really fishy going on. You can go to Registrar's office for property registration without even wearing mask, but RTO requires a covid-19 test? What is happening here?
I have always held that the RTO is the most 'bent' institution of Bharat sarkar. Your experience only reinforces my view. Even the courts are clean.

As for the Covid test, my wife needed one, so our daughter-in-law arranged it. The chap came, took his money, did the test, and left. My d-i-l got the report on her phone. So where do I get the hard copy.
Old 9th December 2020, 18:54   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

I belong to the same RTO and had renewed my DL last year without any help or bribe. Early this year I needed address change, I had applied for the change and also managed to pay the fee online. But I delayed submitting my DL since I had back-to-back test drives of Vellfire and Honda City in Feb and March. I had planned to submit the DL after the Honda City TD in March, but pandemic changed all the plans. With the current situation of covid-19 test scam to enter the RTO, I have no interest in approaching the RTO.

It's not just the RTO, check out how BESCOM has surreptitiously removed features from it's portal. Time to rectify a power failure issue used to be about an hour, now it is 24 hours. You cannot track your complaints like before. These are just a few issues I've noticed as a customer, I'm sure many such changes, invisible to those outside the system have been made to "enable" BESCOM employees.

Like with everything else that the government does, the computing infrastructure is substandard and full of holes, ripe for misuse and a potential hazard for the citizens of this country. Computerization will turn into a real liability for us soon.
Old 9th December 2020, 18:56   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Yikes, this has me a bit apprehensive. My DL comes up for renewal next year. I did a test run on the Govt site and obviously it won't give me an option for renewal as that is activated only when there is <1 month to go before the DL expires OR IIRC upto 30 days after expiry.

I hate the idea of using a tout/agent but if that's the only way by which I can decrease the risk of COVID by avoiding exposure to large crowds I'll take it. There are some things in this country which never change. SMH!
Old 9th December 2020, 19:13   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
So visited that place, he cancelled my earlier KA03 application and created new one, paid Rs.900. Then he gave me the printed application with original DL and asked to submit inside the RTO office.
I did something similar today. Since I am in Udupi this week, I called my local agent. He asked me to come over. He got my old application cancelled and new application created in 10 minutes. Paid the fee at the counter, got my photo & signature taken, and I was out of there in 75 minutes. But this is Karnataka, the DL will take 20 days to process. But since I have the DL in Digilocker, I don't care about the delay. Absolutely no Covid scam in this RTO.

Last edited by Samurai : 9th December 2020 at 19:14.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 11:20   #115
BHPian

I had a trouble free experience in E-City, Bangalore RTO to renew my license. My original license was from Chennai and I have applied through the vaahan portal with an address change to Bangalore. Uploaded all the documents, paid online, took medical test and went to the RTO at the booked time slot of 2 PM. Only glitch was they wanted the payment confirmation printed and attached to the application. Rest everything was easy.

I haven't used any agents for multiple RTO services so far. Be it registration, license or NOC. If you have patience I think it is not so difficult.

In fact the best part was about my original license. It was not available in the vaahan system and with 2-3 calls to the RTO (number received from TN RTO website) I could get it updated in the portal. Otherwise it could have been very difficult to transfer and renew my license in Bangalore. Thanks to the Transport Officer. Not all government officers are corrupt, still have faith in people.
Old 10th December 2020, 11:47   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

I renewed my license recently through the online portal and it was a smooth affair through one of the RTO’s in Calcutta. Did not took more then five days and I got the printout of the license from the portal.

Now the point of contention is that the RTO officials are saying that I will not get the physical smart card copy of the license but have to make do with the printout. They even told me to laminate the whole printout and keep that in the car and that has baffled me no end.

My simple query for folks who are currently in the process of renewing their licenses or have already renewed recently- how do I get the physical smart card copy of the license ??
Old 10th December 2020, 11:58   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
They even told me to laminate the whole printout and keep that in the car and that has baffled me no end.
I used to travel every month abroad and would use rental cars for my work. Once i left my 18 year old license in a car and returned the vehicle and lost my original. I then continued to use a color xerox of it and was facing no issue. I got a fresh duplicate DL issued by the RTO in Chennai at considerable expense, but the printout laminated one they gave me looked like it was made at home and many rental agencies denied me a car based on this genuine license issued by our government authority due to its shoddiness. I had to resort to using the earlier color xerox as that was more acceptable to them. Since then i have had to renew the license and got a smart card which looks very authentic and hopefully post this covid situation there will be no challenges in car rentals abroad. It is imperative you get the smart card one through a learning school near your residence. They will take care of the paperwork and other practices to ensure you get the physical one.
diyguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 12:04   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathp View Post
I had a trouble free experience in E-City, Bangalore RTO to renew my...

and renew my license in Bangalore. Thanks to the Transport Officer. Not all government officers are corrupt, still have faith in people.
When was this? This year? During or after covid19 lockdown?
Old 10th December 2020, 12:12   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
It is imperative you get the smart card one through a learning school near your residence. They will take care of the paperwork and other practices to ensure you get the physical one.
Yes, just like you said, the laminated one makes no sense besides a smart card license is very handy to keep in your wallet. I can’t be seen carrying a laminated card as license !! Besides, I travel a lot and there are places where these documents are valued as authentic and non authentic, the laminated ones will always attract scrutiny.

The thing is, there are columns online for getting a duplicate license but I just don’t know whether that will result in me getting a smart card or not. The officials at the RTO are straightway saying the physical cards issuance have been stopped but I have my doubts. Anyways, will ask around the driving schools too, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10th December 2020, 12:53   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
I renewed my license recently through the online portal and it was a smooth affair through one of the RTO’s in Calcutta. Did not took more then five days and I got the printout of the license from the portal.

Now the point of contention is that the RTO officials are saying that I will not get the physical smart card copy of the license but have to make do with the printout. They even told me to laminate the whole printout and keep that in the car and that has baffled me no end.

My simple query for folks who are currently in the process of renewing their licenses or have already renewed recently- how do I get the physical smart card copy of the license ??
I don't know how to obtain a physical copy, but if you download digilocker, you can have your license downloaded there which will be sufficient to show to the authorities if required

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks