Hyundai Getz 1.5Crdi 91 16.73%
Tata Indica Dicor 30 5.51%
Palio Stile 1.6 72 13.24%
Voters: 544. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2008, 20:31   #466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was coming from Mumbai in my 1.2, when I saw two cars (Marina and Getz) were seems like racing on Expressway. I couldnt resist myself and started with them. It was easy to overtake Getz but Marina was giving tough competetion. I had to accelarate my 1.2 150+ KMPH with 3 passanger on board including me, to overtake Indigo Marina. My friend, who owns Baleno was impressed when he saw 150+ KMPH with 1.2 liter engine.

After few KMs I gave up cause I dont want to race on Expressway. But yes, at 150+ KMPH car was still stable and was in under control. Thats the beauty of Palio.
Next time try racing with a Getz CRDi
Old 25th April 2008, 22:08   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
If that can be done by a 1.1ltr, do you think it is difficult with a 1.2ltr?
Correction, it should be the 1ltr old model santro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Next time try racing with a Getz CRDi
I can imagine how it feels owning that car.

Last edited by kpzen : 25th April 2008 at 22:11.
Old 25th April 2008, 22:28   #468
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Correction, it should be the 1ltr old model santro.

Uh?? You mean the one which had some kind of teeth and boiled eggs as headlights?
I forgot, those were the best lot. Right?
And if you enquire in detail, it could even be a Getz CRDI. Who knows!
Old 25th April 2008, 23:44   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aushdeep View Post
At slopes where we had to reverse the Swift D to the starting point if a car approached downhill since it does not move before 2000RPM but this car took on like a tank with ease.
I have driven my Swift D on ghat sections. Never did this happen. Forget Swift D, even 800 or Alto does not require this.
Old 28th April 2008, 17:01   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
I have driven my Swift D on ghat sections. Never did this happen. Forget Swift D, even 800 or Alto does not require this.
Friend, what you have told is not exactly correct.
A alto or 800 may not need that, but a Swift D or even an Skoda may need that.

There are a couple of hair pin sections in the Trivandrum- Ponmudi(A hill station) where you cannot stop in some bends.
Once you stop, even a CRDI turbo diesel will struggle to produce enough power to move in lower RPMs.
The only thing to do is either burn-out the clutches by revvin to higher RPMs, or else reverse and start again to produce a bit more torque

Last edited by shineshine : 28th April 2008 at 17:02.
Old 28th April 2008, 21:08   #471
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineshine View Post

There are a couple of hair pin sections in the Trivandrum- Ponmudi(A hill station) where you cannot stop in some bends.
Once you stop, even a CRDI turbo diesel will struggle to produce enough power to move in lower RPMs.
The only thing to do is either burn-out the clutches by revvin to higher RPMs, or else reverse and start again to produce a bit more torque
Pardon my ignorance, but!

I wonder how the KSRTC buses climb all the way to ponmudi, when a swift D or even skoda has to be reversed to start again!
Old 28th April 2008, 23:00   #472
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineshine View Post

Actually I drove to ponmudi with 3 passengers and their luggage in january. didnt have to reverse. you might have to leave the car in 1st gear for some time, but that's it.

I've done worse inclines than ponmudi in idukki. inclines bad enough to make my tyres spin without traction and spew grey smoke on dry,well surfaced tarmac. but the car still pulls in 1st gear.didnt have to reverse. just used the handbrake to hold the car in place, and yes, there, I did have to slip the clutch.

if some one had to reverse at ponmudi to negotiate an incline, they need driving lessons.

agreed, if you fall out of the powerband in 2nd gear in the middle of a hairpin, you're in trouble. but 1st gear will get you out of there, pretty easily.

Old 28th April 2008, 23:19   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
inclines bad enough to make my tyres spin without traction and spew grey smoke on dry,well surfaced tarmac. but the car still pulls in 1st gear.didnt have to reverse.
Exaclty! thats what happens. the tire spins and spins. especially my stock ones. I had been once stuck behind an 800 on a slopy and not so good road. The 800 driver was stuck; looks like he was a newbie, he neither could handle it with half clutch nor with hand-brake. In that situation I had to actually get out of that situation with a slight turn so that I could overtake past the struggling 800. And my Swift did a great job!
Old 28th April 2008, 23:25   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but!

I wonder how the KSRTC buses climb all the way to ponmudi, when a swift D or even skoda has to be reversed to start again!

The driver is on Very Heavy Fuel from BevCo.
Old 6th May 2008, 00:52   #475

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Exaclty! thats what happens. the tire spins and spins. especially my stock ones. I had been once stuck behind an 800 on a slopy and not so good road. The 800 driver was stuck; looks like he was a newbie, he neither could handle it with half clutch nor with hand-brake. In that situation I had to actually get out of that situation with a slight turn so that I could overtake past the struggling 800. And my Swift did a great job!
Gr8 if you have not faced the incline which some roads give in Shimla (internal roads). The road I was referring to is not one for busses cause have not seen one do that .
Old 11th May 2008, 00:36   #476
BHPian

Indica DICOR/Turbo vs Palio MJD/Swift DDIS

Wow, thats a lot of pages of reading in the thread for one sitting!

I am now considering buying a diesel hatchback with ABS & Airbag. Indica DLX Turbo with Intercooler seems to be the only option I have in the market. My concerns arise if I compare this car with others in the poll. Are these concerns valid enough to forget air-bags/abs (and hence indica dlx)..

1. DICOR/CRDI:- I will prefer a crdi because its latest technology. But I think Tata doesn't offer abs/airbags in dicor because of the price factor. So I am kinda forced to go for a turbo IC diesel. Although I can accept a loss in refinement, but not power/torque. If we compare CRDI engines with Turbo IC diesel, what are the +/- on
(a) torque & power
(b) fuel efficiency
(c) maintenance costs
(d) noise and vibrations..
Is CRDI better on all these aspects over T-IC?

2. Indica V3(X1):- Any idea on the launch date? And does anyone know if this model will come with Airbags/ABS? I guess this will be priced near to Palio MJD but with Airbags/ABS it might become really expensive (6L+), so these may not be offered?

My budget is upto 6.5L. Although I'm willing to pay more I don't see any diesel hatchbacks with abs/airbags.. I can't wait for 6-7 months for a swift dzire.. If I wait till July does anyone think I'll get any other crdi car with these features?
Old 11th May 2008, 06:48   #477
BHPian

@ genuine optimist

If you wait for around 6 months there are going to be new launches-
(i) Splash from Maruti- Check the you tube video at - and you can also visit the team bhp thread for further details.

(ii) There will be a diesel hatch launch from the Hyundai stable.

(iii) INDICA itself will be launched (probably by DEC) with a much refined diesel engine which is licenced from FIAT and has now become very popular with the SWIFT diesel cars and the recently launched Palio multijet.

(iv) FIAT would be launching a new hatch - BRAVO

The question is whether these cars would have both ABS and AIRBAGS-One can't really say from now on. If price is not a constraint then you can look at FABIA which comes with all these features-visit The new Skoda Fabia - Feel Special for further details. You can also consider the Maruti dzire which would be VFM and it does come with ABS and AIRBAGS.

IMO INDICA turbojet has the following problems-
(a) Turbojet is a dated engine and CRDI / DICOR engines are much more refined and you get better mileage with DICOR
(b) TATA is not known for great A.S.S
(c) INDICA has got a tag of being a "taxi" car.
(d) If you want to keep the car for long you may have maintainence issues with the INDICA turbojet.

But if YOU like the car then simply go ahead;After all it is one of the most popular diesel cars in the country!!
Old 11th May 2008, 12:19   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineOptimist View Post
My budget is upto 6.5L. Although I'm willing to pay more I don't see any diesel hatchbacks with abs/airbags.. I can't wait for 6-7 months for a swift dzire.. If I wait till July does anyone think I'll get any other crdi car with these features?
If price isn't a concern, how about the Fabia Diesel? Offers all the safety features you need.
Old 11th May 2008, 12:46   #479
BHPian

No concern for safety..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
@ genuine optimist

If you wait for around 6 months there are going to be new launches-

The question is whether these cars would have both ABS and AIRBAGS-One can't really say from now on. If price is not a constraint then you can look at FABIA which comes with all these features-visit The new Skoda Fabia - Feel Special for further details. You can also consider the Maruti dzire which would be VFM and it does come with ABS and AIRBAGS.

IMO INDICA turbojet has the following problems-
(a) Turbojet is a dated engine and CRDI / DICOR engines are much more refined and you get better mileage with DICOR
(b) TATA is not known for great A.S.S
(c) INDICA has got a tag of being a "taxi" car.
(d) If you want to keep the car for long you may have maintainence issues with the INDICA turbojet.

But if YOU like the car then simply go ahead;After all it is one of the most popular diesel cars in the country!!

@gautam: Thanks for the reply. I am disinclined to wait. Timelines aren't known for sure for any of the new models that you've mentioned.. And I am not considering Swift D or Dzire primarily on account of the 6-7 months wait.. Let's assume I want to purchase in May 2008.

And, no Skoda Fabia. Cost of ownership will go for a big toss and I am 100% sure I'll regret buying it from day 1.

I'm planning to keep the Indica turbo dlx for 4 years/50,000kms maximum. Will problems surface within this time period?

@blue_pulsar: Some miscommunication there. My budget is 6L for hatchback. And I can stretch it by another 50K utmost..

But if there are good diesel sedans available with ABS, I can stretch the budget to 7.5L. Neither logan D nor Indigo/Ford Ikon come with ABS..

It is really surprising why there are so few options in the market if safety is a consideration. Since I want ABS & Airbags in diesel, I have only 2 options for less than 7.5L?
Indica V2 Turbo DLX
Swift Dzire ZDI

I'm disappointed.
Old 11th May 2008, 13:36   #480
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
I don't think so. Tata will be forced to back all the Indica's with spares, service and maintenance for another 10 years atleast.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks