Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2006, 01:43   #46
Senior - BHPian

@ballkey; nope, the car is BAREBONES STOCK. if you search elsewhere on the forum, i've posted pics of the speedo doing 175-180...

and guys, like i said, rattles exist on ALL cars, irrespective of make...
Old 13th February 2006, 15:59   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
If Iam not wrong you did some mods on your wheels right, Is that the culprit?. I dont face any problems with Shocks. I drive on one of the worst roads in Chennai (I meant it).

Got back my car from third service & absolutely free of any rattling. Let me hope it does not surface again.

Also this central locking / power windows issues are fixed at the first shot itself & it neven happened again. I hope Maruti get it right in their first attempt & this doesnt resurface for any of Swift owners.
I have other problems because of the mods on the wheels, I have driven another swift around as well, and the kinda noises u get from the shocks is alarming, you should try driving around with 5 people in the car on the same roads in Chennai and then let me know how it feels, yeh if you slow down drastically on the bad roads u can't feel what I am talking about, slow down just a wee bit say keep the speed at 40 odd and see or rather hear the noises that emanate from the shocks you will be surprised.
Old 13th February 2006, 16:02   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
@ballkey; nope, the car is BAREBONES STOCK. if you search elsewhere on the forum, i've posted pics of the speedo doing 175-180...

and guys, like i said, rattles exist on ALL cars, irrespective of make...
I second that speed, have seen mine do 170+ on a long stretch not that it gets there in a hurry, 140 is real fast but upwards does take a li'l more time
Old 13th February 2006, 17:00   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx
hmmm, so Maruti and Tata seem to have started to trade places
Definitely. Maruti has just eased up a bit too much what with all those back to back JDP awards. As for Tata, things have definitely moved differently. You do not get those window/door/dashboard rattles from a new Indica. Mine is a prime example but I have seen a few others as well. Their only issues are with smalltime parts supplied by those vendors. Like the cabin light with a loose-contact switch. A wiper arm that lost a rebate with the season's first monsoon. But then these parts are not manufactured by Tata (Tata is trying to reign in these suppliers).

And no, I do not believe that every new car has rattles. I am very much irritated with rattles and squeaks and always keep an ear half cocked for any such noise. I remember once when I was driving through a dark highway with my friend as the co-passenger. Something was continuously making a very low decibel vibrations. The sound was coming from the dashboard. I was having nightmares about whether this was the begining... I tried to clamp my hand on every part of the dashboard, glove box lid to find out the source of this vibration. Ultimately it turned out to be a toffee with those aluminium foil wrapping, left on a side of the dash, which was vibrating and making that irritating noise! The dashboard was perfectly ok and silent

Last edited by Zappo : 13th February 2006 at 17:01.
Old 14th February 2006, 11:55   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
Definitely. Maruti has just eased up a bit too much what with all those back to back JDP awards. As for Tata, things have definitely moved differently. You do not get those window/door/dashboard rattles from a new Indica. Mine is a prime example but I have seen a few others as well. Their only issues are with smalltime parts supplied by those vendors. Like the cabin light with a loose-contact switch. A wiper arm that lost a rebate with the season's first monsoon. But then these parts are not manufactured by Tata (Tata is trying to reign in these suppliers).
We buy cars from the manufacturer i.e Maruti, Tata etc and not from their suppliers. Dont you think the manufacturer is responsible for any issues / defects with the package?
Old 14th February 2006, 13:50   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay
We buy cars from the manufacturer i.e Maruti, Tata etc and not from their suppliers. Dont you think the manufacturer is responsible for any issues / defects with the package?
Absolutely Ajay, absolutely. No two opinions on that buddy. And that is why we take a warranty from them and chase them when something goes wrong (incidentally, tires and batteries are two things for which we have to go the respective supplier/manufacturer. I wonder why!).

I guess you went on a completely different path there. I was just pointing out the fact that it is the tier III suppliers who are still to get their acts together. And till that does not happen we will keep getting those niggling problems. That only dilutes the brand equity of the manufacturer. As I also said, thankfully Tatas have now started reigning in even these smalltime suppliers. In fact recently Tatas decided to junk some tier III suppliers for some odd parts (weather strips, rubber beadings) and procure these from the Chinese and the Thais who seem to make these things better.
Old 14th February 2006, 21:40   #52
Senior - BHPian

Why dont the Overdrive guys talk about the HUGE dent they have put on that Swift:

Old 14th February 2006, 22:07   #53
BANNED

hey guys i think that there is problem in some cars not in every car as we have a member called swiftmover his car is gr8 no problems at all
Old 16th February 2006, 14:47   #54
BHPian

Hi,

I have a swift - arnd 10 months old and 9000 kms done.

I faced 1 problem in past and 1 recurring problem.

I have autocop and like many other members i too faced the rear door issue. when i took it to my dealer, he was like "actually autocop is not suitaable for swift". this is hilarious coz when i installed autocop from him, i went for the cheapest version while he was tryin to convince me to buy the most exp one!!!!!!! anyways the faulty part in the door was replaced promptly and without charge

The gears suck. 2 services done- ample requests to smoothen/ ease the gears. I think its a design issue. at times i feel like i am driving a truck.
Specifically it wont get into the 3 gear from 2nd and from 2nd to 1st. Mind u this doesnt happen always, but atleast once a week or so. After i struggle with the gear (in the middle of bangalroe traffic) some grinding noise comes (probably ball bearings) then it works smoothly till the next week. As some one said, reverse too is an issue...

No rattling fortunately (not yet anyways)

Ajay

they charge a lot for dents etc- i found a local garage that did a neat job for 4k. the authorised dealers were quoting 11k for the same job.
Old 16th February 2006, 15:11   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks
The gears suck. 2 services done- ample requests to smoothen/ ease the gears. I think its a design issue. at times i feel like i am driving a truck.
I guess Tata will Sue Maruti because cars which feel like truck are patented by Tata
Old 16th February 2006, 17:43   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
they charge a lot for dents etc- i found a local garage that did a neat job for 4k. the authorised dealers were quoting 11k for the same job.

Do you mind sharing the name and location of the local garage? And how did you feel safe enough to leave the car in "some" location (other than the authorised service stations?)
Old 17th February 2006, 14:49   #57
BHPian

Swift - Pesky beauty

Hi

I am a swift aficianado and this being my first car, have tried to take good care of it. Just thought I would jump in and contribute my bit about the highs and lows of my experience thus far (3000km, 5 months, 11 kpl in city)

Positives :

- Good pick up and acceleration - 2nd gear is simply outstanding, stretches like an elastic and is a sure shot recipe to pass all other cars in traffic "holes"
- Good driver ergonomics - better than the getz
- Good handling, road grip and stability
- Feeling of solidity althought not in the league of a palio
- Good brakes

Negatives:

Overall while the initial quality seems better than maruti's usual standards, I must confess the car is aging faster than I would have expected:

- the seat fabric and the door trim is coming loose with lots of edges coming off - this is making the interior dusty with fine particles flying all over the place. Wonder if someone else has also faced this problem
- the paint on the lid of the 12v socket has peeled off without me having used it even once. Its disappointing :(
- I get strange noises when driving over broken tarmac, rough roads, both the front doors rattle plus there is a noise from the rear seat
- The paint job on the bumpers, if someone has noticed is very thin. Even small nicks peel off the entire paint layer. The other day when I was reversing, some shrub brushed against my rear bumper and there were tell tale surface scratches on the sides and the shrub was not even too sharp. I have seen palios and getz-es which do better
- Pick-up with AC on is a problem esp in the city when you have a narrow rev band to play around with. This problem is acute at 10-20 kmph since power comes on only after 2k revs.. so it is a real struggle in second gear between 1k and 2k revs - but the moment you touch 2k, the engine pulls real hard and leaves other cars for the dead.

Overall, may be I feel I ought to have waited till the production line stablized or perhaps till maruti launched a revamped edition - with hopefully clear tail lamps, beige interiors (like the primea wagon R) and these issues sorted out.

Overall, I would give it an 8/10 but it could have been much better if maruti had been able to get the quality intact from batch one. This actually is surprising since in its earlier years, the best cars always used to be from the earliest production line batches as they would come with a high imported content and a tighter quality control. I guess maruti got too carried away by the demand for the swift and probably do not mindd a bit of negative word of mouth publicity. Proof enough is that the swift continues to sell like hot cakes.
Old 17th February 2006, 17:44   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Specifically it wont get into the 3 gear from 2nd and from 2nd to 1st. Mind u this doesnt happen always, but atleast once a week or so. After i struggle with the gear (in the middle of bangalroe traffic) some grinding noise comes (probably ball bearings) then it works smoothly till the next week. As some one said, reverse too is an issue...
Sometimes you get these noises if you do not press the clutch properly. Try to press it hard and to the floor while changing gears. If you are already doing that, then the problem may be something different!
Old 17th February 2006, 20:46   #59
BHPian

I took delivery of my Swift 3 weeks ago.

It is bone stock. NO MODS at all. No music system installed yet. It has just 780 Kms on the odo and im already facing problems

1) The rattles and squeaks have already started. It feels like there is a jazz band playing in my car.
2) The car idles at about 3000 RPM when started in the morning. Takes about 3 mins to settle down at 900 RPM.
3) Under braking there is a sound from the front right tyre.
4) Rear power windows work slower than they used to.
5) Hand brake light does not illumiate when in use.

This is not what I expected from a brand new car. Spoke to the manager at the showroom a day ago and he assured me that all these problems would be taken care of at the first service.

Will post once the comes back from the serive.

Hopefully all these problems will be taken care of.
Old 18th February 2006, 10:55   #60
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I am left speechless, at the kind of issues that actual owners are reporting on the Swift. First and foremost, the Swift is positioned as a PREMIUM hatch and such appaling build quality is totally not done. I dont care about the attractive price....I am sure that actual buyers would not mind paying 10,000 extra and have a premium hatch feel like a premium hatch.

If this is what owners are experiencing in the first year of ownership, whats to say after 3 years of ownership?

Shame on Maruti!

GTO

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks