Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2008, 00:03   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Again it might be due to the absurd angle of collusion in the case i quoted, but hey we all need a lesson or two on crash testing and understand that it might not be the mass, but rather how it is stacked up in a car that matters
My exact second thought, it may be a absurd angle through which swift hitted the bumper.
Old 4th May 2008, 00:18   #167
Team-BHP Support

No not in your case, Optra has a bumper with honey comb shock absorbing stuff behind them, swift has only one rod running in front of the radiator.
Old 7th May 2008, 10:53   #168
BHPian

have all of you noticed that whenever a car is rear-ended the car which got rear ended always suffers very minor damage compared to the car which rear ended it.

i can recollect a thread on the forum which had a Innova rear ended by some other car. the Innova came out clean and the other car was quite badly damaged.

and besides that as people have said already optra build quality is wayyy superior to a swift.
Old 8th May 2008, 08:44   #169
Senior - BHPian

this is because the front of the car has crumple zones. the car takes the impact and does not allow it to travel to the passenger compartment. Most mordern day cars have stronger rear ends in terms of minimal / non-existant crumple zones in the rear.

hence - in the evnet of an impact- the car in front - gets away with minor injuries - and the one that rear ends - ends up like a bashed up boxer.
Old 8th May 2008, 09:29   #170
Senior - BHPian

Note from Support Staff: The thread Swift owners - Is this true? has been Merged in this thread
Is Swift Build quality so poor... ??
Old 8th May 2008, 09:39   #171
Senior - BHPian

Agree with some folks who have written about the swift plastic bumpers... Its more of a positive.

Had a drunk guy on a kinetic honda ram into the car and full speed, the sound was really disheartening. They took a toss, the kinetic fairings had completely broken off but our beloved DDiS luckily has only 6-7 black scratches to show for the event.

It looks but but honestly it could have been much worse.
Old 9th May 2008, 01:09   #172
BHPian

I have owned a swift VXi with ABS before and according to me the cost of servicing or spares in Maruti is less but the quality is bad. I had a couple of issues with my car which were not fixed even when i sold my car.

1. Rattling noise only from the left hand side (door, windows) of the car.
2. A motor running like sound mostly from the rear left door. Occassionally it used to come from the rear right door also

The Maruti guys (Bimal Auto - Bangalore) told me almost all swifts have these two problems for which they do not have a solution.

3. There used to be a screeching or rather a squeaking noise for a couple of seconds when i used to start and move the car for the first time everyday. This used to happen often especially during rainy or cold seasons. The service guys used to tell me that its a problem with the break lining. They used to do something and the sound would not come for a couple of days and it used to return. But it used to disappear on its own too.

4. Once my car met with a accident where the total cost for repair came up to 60k. left side of the bonnet (fender etc) was damaged badly. I had hit a electric pole (the old ones which are made of cement). The build quality of swift is bad.

Overall i would say the performance of the car is good but the build quality is bad, and when people say maruti has good *** i would stand against it. I agree the spares cost less but the quality is bad.
Old 9th May 2008, 04:03   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque123 View Post

1. Rattling noise only from the left hand side (door, windows) of the car.
2. A motor running like sound mostly from the rear left door. Occassionally it used to come from the rear right door also

The Maruti guys (Bimal Auto - Bangalore) told me almost all swifts have these two problems for which they do not have a solution.
I keep thinking this is what is the limiting factors for all of us... We accept things they are and stop innvoating after a while (too early from my point of view) I can draw analogy from IT services vs products too. We all need to raise our level ... may be open the books/service manual and open up the doors and try our own custom solutions be more hands-on may be out of 100 guys 50 will get it right and find a permanent solution to this.

try packing with old banyan or something ... I remember this great guy -- Anil in Dharwad who does only Rx 100s and yamahas and he had this innvoative idea to stop fuel rank rattling .... used to remove the bush and use a 5 lr saffola dabba cap instead and it was fixed for life!!!
Old 9th May 2008, 08:02   #174
Senior - BHPian

Can anybody comment on quality (and these issues which we have discussed in this forum) of the NEW 2008 Swift (the one with new bumpers, taillamps etc). Has maruti done anything to improve vis-a-vis rattling problems and quality of dash board plastics etc?
Old 9th May 2008, 08:50   #175
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

i have a few irritating niggles with my Swift too
there is an untraceable rattling sound from the rear side which try as I might, I cannot locate
then the central locking system (electronic) causes irritation because sometimes one cannot open the rear doors from the inside, despite the car being completely switched off. (this is not a child lock problem, Ive checked).
then there is one more highly irritating rattle sound from the front right side when one goes into a pothole and comes out (sometimes this is unavoidable, given our roads). This sounds a bit like the drive shaft sound that used to happen in the old Maruti 800's - (the 1980's models) - would make a KHAT KHAT KHAT sound while turning, which usually meant you were down 8 grand because your drive shaft/ lower arm/ ball joint or something was out of order. I hope this is not true of my Swift.
last but most irritatingly, the horn wire keeps coming loose when one hits a bump or one of these hump like speed breakers, even when one slows down completely - despite my having refixed it many a time, crimped it down using nose pliers, taping it up and whatnot. so suddenly from a pretty authoritative horn sound, one is reduced to a rather pathetic sounding squeak - sometimes in mid stride!
any suggestions chaps?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 9th May 2008 at 08:51.
Old 9th May 2008, 09:41   #176
BHPian

On St. Marks Road, a stupid a hole of a guy in a Lancer braked in the middle of the road to get into the petrol pump to the right. I was right behind him and doing probably 50kmph at that time had to slam the breaks and move to the left to avoid hitting that jerk. I managed to avoid him but heard loud screeching noise and a thud. I saw two college going kids and the rider without a helmet on the road with their Honda Activa also down. I stopped checked my bumper there was not even a scratch, but the activa was damaged badly I spoke to that guy told him the reason why I had to do this and he started off bad mouthing the Lancer driver and I just drove away. The impact from the scooter would have been at 40kmph speed and nothing happend to my bumper.
Old 9th May 2008, 10:11   #177
Senior - BHPian

Coming to think of it, the Ambassador has its own version of life saving design in its bench seat version : the seat simply falls back, the single bolt holding it to the floor snapping under the weight of impact, and saving the front seaters a bit
Old 9th May 2008, 10:52   #178
Senior - BHPian

All I can say about the Swift Quality is that it is far from being perfect. One buys a new car expecting everything to be perfect.

The other day my friend brought his second Swift Diesel and we were out having a few drinks in the new car, the power windows to the passenger side would not work, and then the Indicator Switch stalk felt like it was about to fall off

The engines used are perfect in the Swift BUT why these small problems ??

The bumpers I feel could be more strong as small dents or bumps in day to day city driving damages it.
Old 9th May 2008, 11:18   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist View Post
On St. Marks Road, a stupid a hole of a guy in a Lancer braked in the middle of the road to get into the petrol pump to the right. I was right behind him and doing probably 50kmph at that time had to slam the breaks and move to the left to avoid hitting that jerk. I managed to avoid him but heard loud screeching noise and a thud. I saw two college going kids and the rider without a helmet on the road with their Honda Activa also down. I stopped checked my bumper there was not even a scratch, but the activa was damaged badly I spoke to that guy told him the reason why I had to do this and he started off bad mouthing the Lancer driver and I just drove away. The impact from the scooter would have been at 40kmph speed and nothing happend to my bumper.
You should have hit the Lancer instead. This would have reduced the risk to the two wheeler (if your swerving away was the reason the scooter hit you or you hit the scooter with the rear portion of the car).
Old 9th May 2008, 11:34   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
have all of you noticed that whenever a car is rear-ended the car which got rear ended always suffers very minor damage compared to the car which rear ended it.
This doesnt appear to be true in all cases. My SX4 was rear ended by an Indicab on airport road in bangalore. My car suffered a completely ruined bumper and the rear fender was bent. Lucky that there were no dents on the bootlid because of the SX4's height! All the damage that I could spot on the Indicab was that the plastic clips for the headlights were broken! Nothing else out of place, not even the bumper!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks