Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:27   #226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
I am surprised at two things:
1. Brand new cars Linea and Punto, with fresh styling and great looks, when coupled with evidently very long list of features are unable to sustain same level of sales even for an year while the rest of the competition is growing.
2. The low cost at the time of purchase, word-of-mouth publicity, Fiat First programme, nothing is enthusing the customers.

Why?
Bad Karma of Fiat....?
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:53   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
2. The low cost at the time of purchase, word-of-mouth publicity, Fiat First programme, nothing is enthusing the customers.

Why?
My first hand experience with the Tata after sales service for Fiat is pathetic. Fiat needed Tata for not to be driven out of India. The association with Tata did help them to start all over again but sharing of showrooms and aftersales service centres is now having negative impact. I swear by my Palio MJD but the experience in the Tata ASC is so bad (they changed engine oil without replacing oil filter in my 15,000 km free service) that I have stopped recommending Fiat cars to my friends.

The need of the hour for Fiat now is independent after sales service centres at the very least. Or else, it is a steady downhill road out of India.

Last edited by tortoiseNhare : 3rd November 2009 at 14:55.
Old 3rd November 2009, 15:17   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITE RUNNER View Post
Now Linea is in the same segment of Civic & Altis - comparable monthly sales.
You can add Jazz to that also
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:33   #229
BHPian

GTO and Vasudeva I am eagerly waiting for the oct sale report thread.Please post it as soon as possible.
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:56   #230
BANNED

Logan sells only 401 units in Oct-09!
Old 3rd November 2009, 18:17   #231
BHPian

Mahindra & mahindra September 2009 sales

Mahindra & mahindra September 2009 show upward trends too maintaining Mahindra's positions as the leader in utility vehicles

Sales Report:

When one talks about SUVs, MUV’s, MPV’s, Pick-ups, Compact Trucks or any other Utility Vehicle, Mahindra & Mahindra stand out as the clear leaders of the category. Continuing their successful run, the September 2009 sales hint at Mahindra being on the top once again. The growth rate indicates that Mahindra & Mahindra is the preferred brand in India when it comes to utility vehicles.

Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. (M&M Ltd.) is a part of the US $6.3 billion Mahindra Group. M&M announced record breaking domestic auto sales. The impressive figures include the sale of 27431 units in the month of September 2009 as compared to 24481 units in September 2008. The overall increase is of 12.1%

Owing to the good sale of Mahindra UVs like the SUV Scorpio, the MPV Xylo, the SUV Bolero and other pick-ups and trucks, the sales stand at 21961 units in September 2009 as against sales of 16059 units in September 2008. This is indicative of a growth of 36.8%.

Mahindra registered a 13.3% growth in the overall YTD period in September 2009. The sales stood at 132522 units in September 2009, as against 116971 units for the same period last year.

The company sold a total of 28434 vehicles (Domestic + Exports) in September 2009 as against 25630 vehicles sold in September 2008.
Mahindra’s Utility Vehicles are finding their way into international markets like US, South Africa and the Middle East. This will also help Mahindra in leveraging the international market which will aid in Mahindra’s growth in future.
Old 3rd November 2009, 18:51   #232
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
A person with a budget of 7-8L entering into a Honda showroom and an intent of buying a Honda in all likelihood ends up buying one, either a Jazz or a city.
When I was waiting in the Honda showrrom for my NHC CVT service, somebody who came in to check out Jazz ended up confirming the booking of ANHC.

They were talking about what all more they are getting for the price difference. The Auto option, as the car was to be used by a girl, also played a part for the change of heart.

Last edited by trrk : 3rd November 2009 at 18:55.
Old 3rd November 2009, 19:05   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
somehow i am not impressed by this number. Usually the first 2-3 months are great and then it comes down by 30-40%. This means probably the Cruze will settle around 500 after a quarter. not impressive for this car.
i agree with your statement. But one thig to keep in mind is last month was festive season and cruze deliveries (some places not even a test drive vehile was available) did not happen for diwali day.. so people might have opted for the other vehicles. the real fight starts now after the festive season for this segment..
Old 3rd November 2009, 19:21   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oops View Post
I heard some people saying " City is overPriced. City's sales will come down".
ANHC is in great demand in Kerala.In November (Peninsular Honda,Trivandrum) has 31 confirmed ANHC's that is yet to be delivered.Of which one car is for my friend a Bold Biege VM T.I should get a commission from Honda for that.But failed to convince him to go for S MT,since I felt V MT is not VFM.He says that he wants only the top model!

Waiting period for ANHC in TVM is about 6 weeks.
Old 3rd November 2009, 19:35   #235
BHPian

Why is Honda Jazz not selling while ANHC is moving so fast

It is now very clear that the Honda has not been able to sell Jazz to the extent they anticipated at it's launch in June-09. Throughout its sales have been lower than its sibling City. And While in Oct-09, the sales seem to have picked up a little bit from previous month (from 500 to 800), the increase fades away in comparsion to the jump ANHC has seen in the same month (from 4300 to 5200) despite a price increase. (see attached file)

Jazz is supposed to have the same technology as City, has a better cock-pit, better and clever utilization of space, magic seats etc. The things that go against it may be that its is a hatchback and not sedan, and the price is much higher than other hatchbacks. But if you compare the competition hatchbacks with Jazz, the Jazz has many better features and specs.

Also the City too is priced at a relatively much higher level than its competotors in the sedan category. So the logic of high price fails to apply to ANHC.

I think similar sales trends of Jazz vs ANHC exist in other Asian countries where the two products are selling side by side.

It would be an interstsing study from marketing point of view as to why Jazz is not selling while ANHC is.

Last edited by GTO : 4th November 2009 at 19:27.
Old 3rd November 2009, 19:50   #236
BHPian

I see cost the major player here, Indian customer hardly care for quality etc etc if it is coming for higher price. They are not at all ready to pay more for hatch. I guess success story of Dzire tells the Indian consumer mentality.
But i20 on the other side doing better I guess.
Old 3rd November 2009, 19:59   #237
Senior - BHPian

Is it a surprise? People wont pay 8L for a hatch when they can get a well spec'ed (actually, better spec'ed) Sedan at that price. Thats that despite Honda or other brand.
Old 3rd November 2009, 20:02   #238
BHPian

When Jazz was about to be launched, I drooled on their website, participated in their contests, read international reviews, fell in love with it, everyone claimed honda will price it around 5.5L to 6.5L range, it will be a super hit, with so much to offer. But finally when the day came OMG! whats wrong with honda to price it so high. Well! frankly If I had so much moolah, I would pay a bit more and switch to Honda City. So basically potential jazz buyer would go for a sedan like honda city paying a bit more.

BTW, One can buy jazz at that cost or buy a Punto 1.4 and run it for 4 to 5 years at the same cost.
Old 3rd November 2009, 20:07   #239
BHPian

If you take indian market in particular it is a very price conscious market. If they have no budget constrains every Indian aspires to own a sedan rather than a hatch.A sedan gives more prestige in owning than a hatch (atleast in india). Jazz qualifies to being a 2nd car and how many indians can afford that.

Also spec wise its inferior to the i20 which provides a diesel engine with curtain airbags and alloys for the price of the jazz.
Old 3rd November 2009, 20:13   #240
BHPian

I'm not too surprised about Jazz's low numbers given it's price and set of features offered for the price. The big question however is what's going to happen when the Jazz 1.5 MT/AT are launched. Or will the 1.5 be launched at all next year as speculated?

Most Viewed