Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2009, 14:20   #961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by privin View Post
I was doing 110kms/hr, in Punto MJD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Vow! If the Indicruz pulled away from you while you were doing 110 kmph, then she's got some serious horses under her hood ! Looks like this is going to be one heck of a launch from Tata.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post

I am impressed. Also did you accelerate along when the prototype sped off?
The present 2.2L can do the same

Was womdering; if its 160 then one can safely get the box from the chip masters and have fun.

Last edited by jkdas : 7th December 2009 at 14:21.
Old 7th December 2009, 14:26   #962
BHPian

Guys,

TATA revamp history seems to show a trend, first the Sumo (changed to Grande), next Indica (changed to Vista) and now the Indigo (Manza). Can someone tell us what was the space in months between these launches. This should offer us with pointers.

Coming back to the Classic looks of the Safari, again looking at the trend the old safari will perhaps co-exists with the new one. However, I feel that X-overs seems to the priority for Tata compared to All new Safari on account on the success tasted by the Innova and the Xylo. Safari old/new or both cannot offer them as much volume as the X-over might potentially offer.

Cheers!
Fatboy
Old 7th December 2009, 14:26   #963
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

Was womdering; if its 160 then one can safely get the box from the chip masters and have fun.
This 160bhp may be accompanied by other changes to the Turbo, intake, Air Filters, etc, besides some possibly some changes to the drive train.
Old 7th December 2009, 14:53   #964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by privin View Post
I was doing 110kms/hr, in Punto MJD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post

I am impressed. Also did you accelerate along when the prototype sped off?
Exactly my question. How much did you try to follow the car. The way it is disappearing is surprising. Any gear or any amount of throttle, its very fast and speed is not less, its 110. So this well score over Innova by a huge margin. Accelerating like that when speed is already over 100 and a heavy vehicle, one can be sure that there is some serious punch. May be its a petrol under the hood. Also we have seen Indicruz with dual exhausts, so may be a lot of power is in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
the more I read about it, the more I am convinced that the xover is aimed for western markets and for brand positioning purpose in Indian market.
Any reason for thinking like this ? I think this same platform will be utilized for new Safari also. So they are planning to price it competitively, though this is just a speculation.

Quote:
Not in safari atleast. I have caught many 2.2 safari on Vadodara-A'bad expresshighway and can easily tell you that catching a safari 2.2 is not very difficult. A simple floor in third is enough. The car in the Video has surely got more power and IMHO, better aerodynamics.
Old 7th December 2009, 15:35   #965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
the problem with tata is that each of these gimmicks may be failing every 3 months. So 7 computers, ESP etc gives the shudders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Haven't you read about the Safari problems?Thats the case with just one Computer.
As others said all these computers are just micro-controller units and are far more reliable then any average component such as Tyre for instance which can go flat anytime.
Words such as "7 on board computers" is just marketing gimmick.

Current Safari has 3 ECU actually (1) EMU : Engine management Unit (2) Transfer Case control unit (3) LCM : Lock control unit

BTW none of those problems in Tanveer's Safari are ECU related ( RPM surge included).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Your brother may have got a defective vehicle. None of the reviews so far have complained about turbo lag at least compared to the others in the segment. From the reviews it pull well from low RPMs. Read review from GTO on team bhp testdrive and initial ownership reports.

Well @4X4addict, then how exactly people find out nearly at what RPM turbo kicks in ? Until there is a turbo lag there is no way to declare Turbo kicks in at XXX RPM in any review.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

Not in safari atleast. I have caught many 2.2 safari on Vadodara-A'bad expresshighway and can easily tell you that catching a safari 2.2 is not very difficult.
Well what JK means is getting 160 PS is possible in current 2.2 L safari y using Chipexpress box to override ECM values. This is similar to people putting pete's box in Innova.

Anyway current safari easily speed up to 145 ( top speed is 156) but the roads , traffic and feeling that you are driving a 2 ton beast brings shivers to spin and force to bring back to 120.

Last edited by amitk26 : 7th December 2009 at 15:39.
Old 7th December 2009, 15:36   #966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
catching a safari 2.2 is not very difficult
When driven by you and me and all of us.

Well, I have been lucky to have driven my safari with Test Drivers
They are a tough nuts to follow and drive extremely fast with full command of the vehicle. My heart was in my mouth during the TD. Imagine Safari doing 120+ cooly in crowded area with ease & that guy looked at home sofa in the driver seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Well what JK means is getting 160 PS is possible in current 2.2 L safari y using Chipexpress box to override ECM values. This is similar to people putting pete's box in Innova.

Anyway current safari easily speed up to 145 ( top speed is 156) but the roads , traffic and feeling that you are driving a 2 ton beast brings shivers to spin and force to bring back to 120.

Same ECU tune grande to 120, safari to 140 and Xover/cruze to 160+

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 7th December 2009 at 15:38.
Old 7th December 2009, 15:43   #967
Senior - BHPian

I guess it will be very difficult to decide how powerful the Indicruz will be by simply scrutinizing the video, but from whatever one can see this is meant to be much more than a people carrier. The rumored power output is pretty impressive considering that the 2.2 diesel in a CRV puts out only 140 ps.
Also unlike the Safari the Indicruz should me much more aerodynamic and lighter as well. Tata's earlier designs were always guilty of being overweight.
Old 7th December 2009, 16:29   #968
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
I guess it will be very difficult to decide how powerful the Indicruz will be by simply scrutinizing the video, but from whatever one can see this is meant to be much more than a people carrier. The rumored power output is pretty impressive considering that the 2.2 diesel in a CRV puts out only 140 ps.
Also unlike the Safari the Indicruz should me much more aerodynamic and lighter as well. Tata's earlier designs were always guilty of being overweight.
Power and torque strictly depend on state of tune, Modern Common rail turbo engines can be boosted or detuned according to the needed application.

This 2.2 engine in Safari is rated at 140hp but it has been detuned to 120hp for use in Grande and the same engine is rumored to make 160-170hp in Indicruz Even the Scorpio's engines is detuned like this.

The CRV diesel engine must have been restricted to 140hp, a modern 2.2litre crdi engine can develop much more power easily.
Old 7th December 2009, 16:53   #969
Senior - BHPian

Well, that might turn out to something where the Xover's ECU might be of great interest for the Chors
Old 7th December 2009, 16:58   #970
Senior - BHPian

Yes i understand Anshuman. The 2.2 iDTEC produces 30ps more in the Accord Type S.
What I meant was since Tata have openely said that they are aiming for the CRV and rather that go for a conservative output comparable to the CRV, the rumor is it will put out 170 ps, which is impressive.
Old 7th December 2009, 17:41   #971
BHPian

KIA-Sorento 2010 model also comes with 2.2 VGT and produces 197 PS and Whopping torque of 44.5kg/m in 1800-2500 RPM range.

See more in this link KIA ALL NEW SORENTO

AVL, Austria developed Tata's 2.2 should also be possibly potential enough to deliver 180plus horses and 400 Nm torque levels if tuned properly.

Xover should come first with high priotiry overall Quality on Engine+transmission smoothness, crisp braking, benchmarking quality on interiors , fit and finiish levels, great level of equipment and competitive bench marking prices.

As Tata is likely to share the same platform with new safari, they must price the Xover top end @ 12 lakhs. With this price Tata will win for sure with 3000 plus monthly sales with the possible migration from Innova, Scorpio, Xylo and retaining those quiting Tata's own Sumo grande and those sitting on the fence TDing Altis/Civic/Cruze etc.

Brand positioning for TATA will emerge Naturally as TATA seriously strive and deliver better quality products. 12 lakhs ex show room price for a TOP end tata product is already a big challenge as more proper Engineered, higly reliable brands and alternative models are available for the buyers.

Volumes can come only along with a huge leap in Quality and equipment levels at realistic prices . Tata must keep in mind of international brand's USA prices if it wants to become a serious world player.

Last edited by harimakesh : 7th December 2009 at 17:54.
Old 7th December 2009, 18:46   #972
Senior - BHPian

so many speculations after seeing the indicruz zooming in the video.
guys its the same 140ps 2.2 VTT Dicor engine pulling the beast so fast. thanks to the test drivers.
i have sat besides many such test drivers. they should take part in rallies for sure. they even pull indicas damn fast.
Old 7th December 2009, 18:59   #973
Senior - BHPian

So its 140ps,
Damn, I knew it was too good to be true.
Old 7th December 2009, 19:06   #974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
so many speculations after seeing the indicruz zooming in the video.
guys its the same 140ps 2.2 VTT Dicor engine pulling the beast so fast. thanks to the test drivers.
i have sat besides many such test drivers. they should take part in rallies for sure. they even pull indicas damn fast.
C'mon buddy, you could have let the speculation carry on for while longer, it was getting so much fun

I must say, I have been following all your responses. You seem to have insights from the Pimpri Plant Kudos buddy.
Old 7th December 2009, 19:19   #975
Senior - BHPian

^^^ no comments, i know myself how much i resist posting the real info.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks