Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2013, 23:38   #7411
BHPian

re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Advice required please...
How much should I pay for a Lancer GLX Diesel 2003 model run 45k Kms in Goa? First owner. In fairly good condition. New tyres and battery. A/C not working. Stereo not working. Some minor dents and scratches. Are the spares of this car easily available. Is it still being produced? How much mileage could I expect from this car? Any advice would be appreciated. By the way, I have offered 60K for it.
Regards,
SS
Old 2nd June 2013, 02:21   #7412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
How much should I pay for a Lancer GLX Diesel 2003 model run 45k Kms in Goa? First owner. In fairly good condition. New tyres and battery. A/C not working. Stereo not working. Some minor dents and scratches. Are the spares of this car easily available. Is it still being produced? How much mileage could I expect from this car? Any advice would be appreciated. By the way, I have offered 60K for it.
Regards,
SS
Hello SS,
I’ve got 2 words for you- RUN AWAY!!!
A 10 year old car,done just 45K’s??!!That’s an avg. of 4500 kms per year. I can bet on my next 7 generations that this car must have done atleast 1.45 K’s, if not more!!!

This car not worth 16K’s,let alone 60 K’s.
My advice for you would be to look at early 2000’s Maruti Esteem.

Regards,
Varun
powertrain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2013, 06:33   #7413
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post

Hello SS,
A 10 year old car,done just 45K’s??!!That’s an avg. of 4500 kms per year. I can bet on my next 7 generations that this car must have done atleast 1.45 K’s, if not more!!!

Regards,
Varun
Why so vehement?

My father's Indica Turbo Diesel V2 has just hit 50k kms over 7 plus years of ownership. This is his only vehicle. He has no other.
There are a few people who drive very little indeed. Even more so when they have more than one car.
Old 2nd June 2013, 08:45   #7414
BHPian

Quote:
How much mileage could I expect from this car?
I used to get a consistent 18KMPL in highways and 14-16 for City/Highway Mix.

Quote:
I had a Lancer (2001 SLXd) for close to 10 years, It was as reliable as it could be. My car had run close to 300K KMs in 10 years and i never had any failures, baring alternator and the regulars (clutch replacement @ 1.4L KM, Brake pads and fluids)

A reasonably maintained lancer will give faultless service for years, and in IMHO is dynamically much better than Esteem.

Last edited by ToroRosso : 2nd June 2013 at 08:48.
Old 2nd June 2013, 09:29   #7415
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What makes you so sure about that? I currently own a 2003 Lancer which has done 65000 kms as of today. Not everybody's running is too high. 4500 kms in a year is not too low a mileage if you ask me. Comes to approx 400 kms a month or 13 kms per day which is fairly decent. Also a person might have more than one car in there garage.
Old 2nd June 2013, 10:24   #7416
BHPian

Quote:

Hello SS,

I think you're being a little too pessimistic. 4500kms a year is a fairly decent mileage. It comes to about 400 kms or so a month I think. My current office is about 5kms from home and for the past few months I'm doing about 600 a month on my daily drive.
Old 2nd June 2013, 10:47   #7417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Why so vehement?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
A reasonably maintained lancer will give faultless service for years, and in IMHO is dynamically much better than Esteem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
What makes you so sure about that?.
Hello SB,TR & DRM,
My apprehension stems from the fact that I’m yet to see such a low mileage car,that too 10 years old,apart from classic cars. I understand that I may be entirely wrong here.

SS has mentioned that the A/c is not working. I guess that tells us 2 possiblities:-
1 - How much care the owner has given to his car, considering that A/c is a must today.
2 - Maybe he wants to repair the A/c, but can’t get spares.

Either ways, I dont think SS should go for this car. Generally while selling a used car, we tend to repair the things which can be seen/ felt like scratches & skip thinks like suspension bush replacement.

Why would this seller not repair something as basic as A/c , which will affect the resale value of his cars. Maybe he can’t get it it repaired; maybe he dose’nt care to get it done.
To me, this rings an alarm bell!

There is no denying of the fact that a Lancer is way superior than an Esteem. I merely suggested a reliable alternative to the Lancer withen a 1L budget.

I do realise that I may be way too wrong here. Would love to be corrected

Regards,
Varun

Last edited by powertrain : 2nd June 2013 at 11:03.
Old 2nd June 2013, 11:04   #7418
BHPian

Hi Powertrain, Shankar Balan, Torro Rosso, Drmohit & Sharninder,

Many thanks for all your replies and view points.
The owner is 75 years old and has been suffering serious health problems for the last 6 years. Is now in a wheelchair. I have known the family for the last 5 years or so.
The car is a genuine 44,500 Kms. The owner has a WagonR which his wife uses on a daily basis. Also an SX4 Zxi which after 2 years and 6 months has clocked 1400 Kms (Yes! You read that right!). That is also up for sale as he cannot drive now and never will again.
Although the car had not been touched for the last couple of months and was covered in dust and cobwebs, it started at the first attempt. However, interiors are badly mildewed and will need a thorough steam cleaning.
My main reason for buying this car was an additional car for longish runs in Goa or picking up friends from the airport etc. as this can be a bit tight in a Nano.
I do have my own SX4 but rather not use an MH number plate in Goa.
I would have jumped at his SX4 but out of my budget for a 3rd car.
DrMohit : Is your car a diesel as well? Any major issues?
TorroRosso : What is the difference between SLX-D and GLX-D? Are the spares for the Lancer easily available? Very expensive?

Kind Regards,
SS
Old 2nd June 2013, 11:15   #7419
BHPian

^^ Hello SS,
In view of your latest post, I stand corrected.
By all means, please give this car a serious thought. But I guess you could have furnished these details in your earlier post.

Regards,
Varun
Old 2nd June 2013, 12:37   #7420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
DrMohit : Is your car a diesel as well? Any major issues?
No sir. Mine is one of those rarer petrol lancer. The car is just amazing to drive with excellent grip and stability. Never faced an issue till date apart from normal wear and tear that you expect in a ten year old car. Spares are not an issue atleast in Delhi.
Old 2nd June 2013, 12:51   #7421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regards,
SS
Being from Goa where Petrol is priced on par ( if not cheaper) than Diesel, why would you buy such an old Diesel car ? any reason for that ?

why dont you expand your search criteria and look for some petrol cars as well.
Old 3rd June 2013, 00:09   #7422
BHPian

Hi

How much should I pay for beginning 2011 SX4 VDI, Its mumbai register, around 30K run & has a valid comprehensive Insurance on it.
Owner is selling as his son has moved to abroad & the car is of no use to them. He is quoting around 6.3L.
Should I buy at this price ? considering that Next Gen SX4 would be launched sometime during next year with all new Diesel & petrol Engine.

Thanks
Sanket
Old 3rd June 2013, 00:16   #7423
BHPian

Hi Powertrain,
Yours well noted.
Sorry. I should have given details in my first post.

Hi Narayan,
Thanks your reply. It was not an issue of the price of diesel. The car just came up for sale and I was tempted. Like I said in my last post this will be a third car used for a max of 100 Kms per week and given to any of my friends to use when they come to visit rather than hiring a car at Rs. 1000/= per day. I know it's not advisable to buy a 10 year old car period, but, for 60K I thought it might be worth considering.
Regards,
SS
Old 3rd June 2013, 15:00   #7424

Hi. I plan to sell off my Hyundai i10 Era Petrol 2008 model. Here are some quick details:

Kilometers driven: 40,000
Model: October 2008
Colour: Red
In-car accessories: Pioneer head unit with back AUX and front USB. 4 high end speakers
Rear speaker tray
Serviced every 6 months from Hyundai workshops (Last serviced in May 2013)
Newly fitted battery with 3 year warranty certificate. (Jan 2013)

Whats the best price i should expect from the market. A range would help

Thanks!

Deepak
Old 3rd June 2013, 15:59   #7425
BHPian

Dear SS,

Please check if the A/C is (was) running on R12, or R134a. If it was R12, you will need to replace many components to get it working with R134a.

Regards
sschivate is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed