Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2012, 14:16   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Lewis moving to Mercedes next Year. EDIT : Confirmed!

I don't get why people under-rate Jenson so much. When he 1st moved to Mclaren, I thought he would be blown away by Lewis but he wasn't. I think his race pace is quite close to Lewis though he falls behind in qualifying. But he's calmer/smarter than Lewis - hence less tendency to self-implode. If he can get over his set-up issues (which have basically put him out of championship contention), he's one of the best out there.

Lewis moving to Mercedes? I don't know what he's after - more money? 2014 changes in mind - hoping to be at right place at the right time? attempting to do a Rossi/Michael? He's good friends with Rosberg though since karting days (I think).
Old 12th September 2012, 14:23   #47
BHPian

There was a rumor that McLaren have offered as low GBP 7.5 million compared to Mercs offer of GBP 12 million. That is way too low for someone like LHs calibre. IMO the sticking point is allowing personal sponsorships rather than outright contracted amount. It looks like the Merc contract has already been signed and just waiting for right time to announce. To be frank though I hope Lewis stays in a McLaren and Ron returns as a team boss
Old 12th September 2012, 14:29   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380
-
-
To be frank though I hope Lewis stays in a McLaren and Ron returns as a team boss
Ghee and assorted sweeteners. And while we're at it, let's have newey, AND the black and silver livery.
too much?
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 14:57   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Ghee and assorted sweeteners. And while we're at it, let's have newey, AND the black and silver livery.
too much?
See you in the dark side of the moon

Few animals can survive the McLaren jungle when it was run by King Ron and now it's Whitmarsh who is much easy going compared to Ron.

I think Lewis is misguided, he has a pussycat doll for company and is managed by one of the biggest in showbiz business. He has distanced himself from his father. He seems to be going away from the regular family person who lends an ear to people who are fully supporting to him. True he has his family for the races, but that is not the same like the others.

How much of influence Nicole or Simon Fueller have is one thing, what kind of influence they have is another. As James Allen stated, 'Life with Lewis' at McLaren is rather difficult, you never know when he morphs into an immature kid who throws toys out of the pram ( I thought that was Alonso in his early days).

Imagine if he ends up at Mercedes and the car is woeful, he will have nowhere to go (Probably RBR if Vettel leaves them in 2014).

Hey !!! What about Seb Vettel in rocket red ? I would love to see that !!!
Old 12th September 2012, 21:06   #50
BHPian

Ross Brawn will be trying to get an Alonso out of Lewis; develop the car (assuming that Schumi is out). How successful will be Ross/Lewis? Alonso has a lot more maturity and experience; Ferrari also have a lot more experience and may be a bigger budget. Next year will be very interesting.
Old 13th September 2012, 06:33   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran
Ross Brawn will be trying to get an Alonso out of Lewis; develop the car (assuming that Schumi is out). How successful will be Ross/Lewis? Alonso has a lot more maturity and experience; Ferrari also have a lot more experience and may be a bigger budget. Next year will be very interesting.
Well, that maturity will come with age. Infact Lewis now look much more composed compared to last season. Actually I felt the Lewis/McLaren/Mercedes situation is quite similar as the time when Alonso switched from Renault to McLaren.
Old 14th September 2012, 11:06   #52
BHPian

Schumacher to McLaren - Ron can do that. He did try that once a long time ago -
Old 14th September 2012, 12:09   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
Schumacher to McLaren - Ron can do that. He did try that once a long time ago - http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=wYI6PFNDFrg
I heard that Schumi turned his back on Ron and Ron was not very happy those days. But you never know..

But Schumi might not switch teams and might just retire into oblivion.
Old 14th September 2012, 12:17   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
But Schumi might not switch teams and might just retire into oblivion.
Ross Brawn is giving some hints here. Maybe the case if Lewis move in
http://www.espnstar.com/motorsport/f...or-management/
Old 14th September 2012, 12:37   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Ross Brawn is giving some hints here. Maybe the case if Lewis move in
http://www.espnstar.com/motorsport/f...or-management/
Imagine Schumi mentoring Lewis, if Lewis can take it. Frankly, there should be no ego involved in being mentored by a 7 time champion.
Old 14th September 2012, 12:49   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Imagine Schumi mentoring Lewis, if Lewis can take it. Frankly, there should be no ego involved in being mentored by a 7 time champion.
IF and only if it happens ( and the car runs well next year and the years to come), I can see a repeat of what happened of Ferrari at Mercedes and rivals better be wary of this lethal combo.
Old 14th September 2012, 16:14   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hypothetically, what would Schumi mentor him on? Especially when Lewis will be much faster than him on track like Rosberg is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
IF and only if it happens ( and the car runs well next year and the years to come), I can see a repeat of what happened of Ferrari at Mercedes and rivals better be wary of this lethal combo.
What happened at Ferrari with MS could not have occurred without the close ties they enjoyed with Bridgestone. Tires along with the amount of testing back then was a key part of their success. Since F1 no longer indulges in the possibility of team specific tires, that is going to be very difficult.

----
Mercedes are offering Schumi a new contract for next year. Bad luck XIX Entertainment, the bluff has not worked.
I now understand Hamilton's body language post his win at Monza, it had nothing to do with Mercedes, it was just sadness that his own beloved team are being so firm on his wage demands..

Cristiano Ronaldo and him must be buddies

Last edited by Hatari : 14th September 2012 at 16:23.
Hatari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 17:00   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari

----
Mercedes are offering Schumi a new contract for next year. Bad luck XIX Entertainment, the bluff has not worked.
I now understand Hamilton's body language post his win at Monza, it had nothing to do with Mercedes, it was just sadness that his own beloved team are being so firm on his wage demands..

Cristiano Ronaldo and him must be buddies
So where does that leave Lewis now? If he goes to the red team, much of his value, at least in UK will get subsided, won't it?
Although, I feel he ain't going till he gets his hand on the promised mclaren f1.
I swear, if he drives with a long face at BIC, I'm going to hit him.....
Seriously though, where does this leave Hamilton?
Old 14th September 2012, 19:34   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk

So where does that leave Lewis now? If he goes to the red team, much of his value, at least in UK will get subsided, won't it?
Although, I feel he ain't going till he gets his hand on the promised mclaren f1.
I swear, if he drives with a long face at BIC, I'm going to hit him.....
Seriously though, where does this leave Hamilton?
I won't be surprised if McLaren retain him, in spite of this drama. They know his driving worth.
Old 14th September 2012, 19:49   #60
Team-BHP Support

^^True... It's a bit hard for McLaren to find a replacement of Hamilton's caliber. Something notable is what Fernando commented when asked about his closest rivals Lewis, Kimi and Vettel: "Hamilton is the only one who is capable of winning without having the best car, which is evident as the others only win when they have a good car."

Most Viewed