Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2013, 15:15   #286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
I fail to comprehend how can one manage to give either Kimi or Fernando the edge over the other over the course of a season. The past is just a point of reference for facts but that in no way determines what the future will hold does it ?
I don't know about the others but my opinion is based on how they have both fared presently not years go. Based on current form, Alonso is simply a better driver, the best of the current grid in my opinion.
If it comes down to between ALO & RAI, I too would like to have RAI win ^_^.
Actually anyone but Vettel....
Old 19th December 2013, 15:19   #287
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2014 F1 Season

Quote:
I fail to comprehend how can one manage to give either Kimi or Fernando the edge over the other over the course of a season. The past is just a point of reference for facts but that in no way determines what the future will hold does it ?
2005 and 2007 were probably the only two years where both Kimi and Alonso were in cars capable of championship fight. Both seasons went down to the wire which clearly shows both these drivers are evenly matched when they get good cars. The fact that 3rd to 5th in 2005 WDC (their team mates and MSC) were just having half the points of ALO/RAI says how no one else was even in the picture when these guys were out hunting with the proper gear.

I wouldn't term either Lotus or Ferrari of last 2 years as a race-winning car because it clearly was in a much lower league.

Lotus was in a really bad shape since it could never overtake a Ferrari or Mercedes engined car even in DRS zones and they never had the potential to get to the front row in Qualifying where they need not worry about overtaking. So Kimi was struck in most races unless he overtook in corners or non-DRS zones or played around with pit strategies to ensure he didn't have to overtake many cars.

Alonso was in a slightly better shape for most part since the Ferrari at least had enough power to overtake or hold off a move though it was a pathetic handler and he could never catch the lap times once someone gets past him.

With cars that are evenly matched, it'll be an interesting thing to watch. If Ferrari engineers get things right, WDC might be fought between these guys. If not, I don't expect either of them to come close in even WDC fight. Alonso would have been a lot less closer to Vettel last year without the co-operation he got from Massa.
Old 19th December 2013, 18:02   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
I don't know about the others but my opinion is based on how they have both fared presently not years go. Based on current form, Alonso is simply a better driver, the best of the current grid in my opinion.
If it comes down to between ALO & RAI, I too would like to have RAI win ^_^.
Actually anyone but Vettel....
Again, Im glad you are able to make the distinction but i dont quite know how.
Yes its often been said Fernando has been doing a phenomenal job in whats been a mediocre car and i fully agree but what about Kimi ?
Was the Lotus quick ?...as quick as the rivals ? Clearly not. Championship winning car ? Dont think so. But hes been consistently getting atleast podium finishes along with the 2 wins that he got.
All those achievements in a Lotus are pretty good IMO.
So despite being in awe of Raikkonen i still cant pick a clear 'better' driver out of the 2.
Glad you could though & also happy to know youd want RAI to win !

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
2005 and 2007 were probably the only two years where both Kimi and Alonso were in cars capable of championship fight. Both seasons went down to the wire which clearly shows both these drivers are evenly matched when they get good cars. The fact that 3rd to 5th in 2005 WDC (their team mates and MSC) were just having half the points of ALO/RAI says how no one else was even in the picture when these guys were out hunting with the proper gear.

I wouldn't term either Lotus or Ferrari of last 2 years as a race-winning car because it clearly was in a much lower league.

Lotus was in a really bad shape since it could never overtake a Ferrari or Mercedes engined car even in DRS zones and they never had the potential to get to the front row in Qualifying where they need not worry about overtaking. So Kimi was struck in most races unless he overtook in corners or non-DRS zones or played around with pit strategies to ensure he didn't have to overtake many cars.

Alonso was in a slightly better shape for most part since the Ferrari at least had enough power to overtake or hold off a move though it was a pathetic handler and he could never catch the lap times once someone gets past him.

With cars that are evenly matched, it'll be an interesting thing to watch. If Ferrari engineers get things right, WDC might be fought between these guys. If not, I don't expect either of them to come close in even WDC fight. Alonso would have been a lot less closer to Vettel last year without the co-operation he got from Massa.
100% agree.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 08:32   #289
Senior - BHPian

Rosberg suffers a high speed blow out during the Pirelli tyre test.

More details.

Quote:
“The tyre tests in Bahrain regarded a number of prototypes, which were completely innovative in terms of structure and compounds, with the aim of developing the most suitable solutions for the next season,” explained Pirelli.

“This morning Nico Rosberg’s Mercedes was fitted with one of these prototypes, a tyre which had only been tested in the laboratory and which will not be proposed again. Thus, the safety of the tyres which will be supplied for the next championship is not in question.”

Rosberg was unharmed in the incident, which saw him spin on Sakhir’s main straight. Though he did not hit anything, damage to his car forced Mercedes to end their running early. Pirelli are investigating the cause and the findings will be communicated to the FIA and the teams.
Is Pirelli doing the right thing by experimenting with tyres that were never tested outside the laboratory? Shouldn't they have tested it first in their facilities with their own folks before they ask F1 teams to test it?

This certainly looks like F1 teams are taking a lot of risk and damage to co-operate with Pirelli.

I think FIA should remove the rule of fixed set of tyres for a weekend till Pirelli can get their act together.
Old 20th December 2013, 10:15   #290
Senior - BHPian

Pirelli needs F1 cars that are more relevant to what is being raced to get more accurate feedback on it's tyres. They used to have F1 cars that they tested their tyres on privately but the data did not reflect accurately on what was happening to them which is why they've asked F1 teams with older cars to test.

Yes, It's risky.

What's to say it won't happen on other compounds as well though.
Old 20th December 2013, 10:50   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Pirelli needs F1 cars that are more relevant to what is being raced to get more accurate feedback on it's tyres. They used to have F1 cars that they tested their tyres on privately but the data did not reflect accurately on what was happening to them which is why they've asked F1 teams with older cars to test.

Yes, It's risky.

What's to say it won't happen on other compounds as well though.
Why was it that we never heard of such blowouts in the past when Michelins and Bridgestone used to be the tyre suppliers? In fact, we even have the history of Michelin runners pulling out of US GP due to tyre safety concerns specific to that track. Why are the current teams risking it and opting to race instead of deciding not to race if there is a safety threat?

It looks like more evidence that F1 is more conscious about the entertainment value and revenue generation these days than the safety and the sporting nature.
Old 20th December 2013, 12:05   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why was it that we never heard of such blowouts in the past when Michelins and Bridgestone used to be the tyre suppliers? In fact, we even have the history of Michelin runners pulling out of US GP due to tyre safety concerns specific to that track. Why are the current teams risking it and opting to race instead of deciding not to race if there is a safety threat?
I think in the past Michelins and Bridgestones were never asked by the powers that be to help in adding 'mix' to the races. If my memory serves they just made tyres to last and provide max grip as possible, right?
This blow-out at Bahrain are all a result of trying to balance Degradation, Performance and Life, all experimental. That's what the testing at Bahrain is being done for to make sure it's good to go for 2014.
I'm not at all concerned about this blow-out during testing but if this happens during the race that would be very very poor.

Quote:
It looks like more evidence that F1 is more conscious about the entertainment value and revenue generation these days than the safety and the sporting nature.
One cannot argue on that and for good reason, they have to make it more attractive!. Though, I find it annoying how much about revenue generation this "sport" has always been about.

However, despite the blow-outs at Silverstone, I wouldn't go as far as saying they are sacrificing safety if one is implying they are being negligent purposefully.
If anything zenren, I think they have gone overboard on safety with a limit on direction changes/on track defence moves. Barrier tech for the race viewers as well as the car safety cell for driver is top notch.
I would like to see more on-track aggression and more mixed race results during the season.
Wouldn't it be glorious if they suddenly decided to not freeze engines in few months after the season starts next year : D!
Old 20th December 2013, 12:16   #293
Senior - BHPian

Many guys jumping the RBR ship. Whats happening there? Its not like there is a dearth of money or success. Lets see how it affect Newey' team.

And Mercedes is recruiting guys left, right and center.
Old 20th December 2013, 12:46   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Many guys jumping the RBR ship. Whats happening there? Its not like there is a dearth of money or success. Lets see how it affect Newey' team.

If you can't match the level of your rivals, pull them down to your level. If you cannot build the best team, ensure your competitor too doesn't get the advantage of a stable and cohesive team.

Mercedes didn't hire these guys from RBR because they were the best available choice. The main reason is to get some churn within the current RBR setup. That's definitely euros well spent from a business angle.
zenren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 12:51   #295
Senior - BHPian

A simple question -

After last year's multiple fiascos with regards to the tyres, why not just change to Bridgestone or Michelin instead ? Why the compulsion with Pirelli especially given the crap thats going on with their tyres.
Old 20th December 2013, 14:17   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I think the top guys are tired of RBR and do not wish for them to become a force in F1 in league of their own. In addition to augmenting their own R&D in that department, Hiring from RBR also thus weakens them.
RBR has a seat on the future board as well now don't they.

Quote:
A simple question -

After last year's multiple fiascos with regards to the tyres, why not just change to Bridgestone or Michelin instead ? Why the compulsion with Pirelli especially given the crap thats going on with their tyres.

Not sure if Bridgestone was interested to begin with but there were reports about Michelin wanting to change the current design alloys to those of road going cars, put something like 16" rims and develop tyres around those as it would bear more relevance to road going tyres as far as development was concerned. Bernard did not like that, allegedly.

Most likely though, Pirelli offered the most money to bernie.

Last edited by Maky : 20th December 2013 at 14:21.
Old 20th December 2013, 15:13   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Being the dominant team for the past few seasons, RBR guys would be the prime targets for any of the competitors. Stability in the technical team is good, but long years of stability also means that people may not have the opportunities to move up the ladder. This might also be a trigger for the resignations from RBR.
StarrySky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2013, 06:15   #298
Senior - BHPian

Ferrari preview the 2014 V6 F1 engine: 059/3.

More Shell marketing than real insights but they do show a few sketches.

Edit:

And good news. The double-points rule for last race could be scrapped at the next Strategy Group meeting. Bernie says double-points rule could be scrapped next month

And I think there is a very good chance of it being scrapped. Because Montezemolo criticized it as being artificial and not very sporting.

I would say Thank God!

Last edited by deetjohn : 21st December 2013 at 06:33. Reason: Adding text.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2013, 11:00   #299
Senior - BHPian

Gutierrez confirmed for the second Sauber seat. Sirotkin to be the test driver
Old 21st December 2013, 14:24   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ferrari preview the 2014 V6 F1 engine: 059/3.
Best part of the video, 3:39.
Cannot wait for 14 March '14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks