Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2017, 19:54   #796
BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Thanks to GTO and this thread after a lot of search and dilemma finally bought a pre worshipped 5GT. Been a month and after various checks and diagnosis the car is in good health with few minor corrections and since I purchased from KUN got a 1 yr warranty as well.

Was on the verge of getting a 2016 525D. Before finalizing went through this thread and thought ill wait for few more weeks for a 530D. God has a plan, I didn't have to wait that long, 2 days later came across a 5GT, within a week finalized the deal and brought the monster home.

The rush of the 4 Cylinder 2L engine is no way near what the 6 cylinder 3L has to offer on a heavier and slightly higher body of GT. Thanks to GTO and others who contributed for this thread. We are enjoying everything of the car (except the rear).
varunanb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 20:02   #797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
God has a plan, I didn't have to wait that long, 2 days later came across a 5GT, within a week finalized the deal and brought the monster home.

The rush of the 4 Cylinder 2L engine is no way near what the 6 cylinder 3L has to offer on a heavier and slightly higher body of GT. Thanks to GTO and others who contributed for this thread. We are enjoying everything of the car (except the rear).
5GT with a 2L engine? what model year is it? The 5 GT was CBU with 3L engines.
Maverick5490 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 20:07   #798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
5GT with a 2L engine? what model year is it? The 5 GT was CBU with 3L engines.
5GT's were with 3L engines only in India. I was comparing it with a used 2016 525D which has a 2L engine. My bad. Should have made the post elaborate
varunanb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 09:05   #799
Team-BHP Support

I generally tend to own my car for as long as possible unless they've outlived their purpose. I sometimes wonder whether I would own my 3GT within my 5 year warranty (the price for 6th year just seems TOO much particularly since I got BSI till year 5).

If I do own it beyond warranty, where would mumbai owners suggest I carry out major and minor maintenance. At BMW A.S.S. or at aftermarket service stations (and which one if anyone has reccos).

The only reason for me to sell the BMW at end of warranty would be ongoing upkeep costs so if there is a way to reliably enjoy the car without outrageous cash burn I'd be open to the prospect.

Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 10:26   #800
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
At BMW A.S.S. or at aftermarket service stations
Definitely at a known FNG. Bombay has quite a few of them and they do a wonderful job. Also, most spares if not all can be ordered online via reputed international suppliers at prices cheaper than the FNG too. If you are a fan of DIY, a lot of labor costs can be saved. Changing oils, cleaning and replacing brake pads, electrical maintenance...the list is long.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 13:42   #801
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I generally tend to own my car for as long as possible unless they've outlived their purpose. I sometimes wonder whether I would own my 3GT within my 5 year warranty (the price for 6th year just seems TOO much particularly since I got BSI till year 5).
Your car is only 2 years old . Wait for it to hit its 5th birthday, then we'll talk.

Yes, these cars aren't cheap to own at all. I've owned Germans before and some bills still raise my eyebrows (e.g. the tyre cost). But the driving pleasure they offer is unparalleled.

Also, whatever the case, retaining your car & repairing it will always be cheaper than replacing it with a new one - link.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 10:29   #802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Your car is only 2 years old . Wait for it to hit its 5th birthday, then we'll talk.

Yes, these cars aren't cheap to own at all. I've owned Germans before and some bills still raise my eyebrows (e.g. the tyre cost). But the driving pleasure they offer is unparalleled.

Also, whatever the case, retaining your car & repairing it will always be cheaper than replacing it with a new one - link.

Hi all, a newbie here.

@GTO What are you going to do once your warranty is over? I am just curious to know what next. If your and other TBHP members' tip helps then even buying a car out of warranty will be made easy.

Even though we own a Skoda, it is under warranty. Yet we felt the pain if having the German cars. So, these more lavishing German cars (BMW, Audi and Merc) have their perks and Detriments as well.

I am asking because I felt I am seeing agreeable offers for all variants of 3 series in Mumbai. All varying between 10L - 14L. All of them mostly ending their 5-6 years of warranty in days or months.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 21st August 2017 at 10:41. Reason: Only 2 smileys per post please.
Old 22nd August 2017, 09:28   #803
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangam_mm93 View Post
@GTO What are you going to do once your warranty is over?
She's a keeper. I still find myself admiring her styling, and that engine / gearbox combo is always going to be entertaining. I'm hanging on to her till the 8 - 10 year mark (even longer if she's mechanically & electronically manageable). So far, the mechanical reliability has been flawless.

Quote:
If your and other TBHP members' tip helps then even buying a car out of warranty will be made easy
It's one thing to keep your own car beyond the 5 - 6 year mark or 50,000 - 75,000 km. But entirely another to get someone else's old car. I wouldn't recommend it. Here's a post I made on the 525d thread:

Quote:
Someone pm'ed me asking more about this. As we know, a PM helps one person while a public post helps a thousand, so I'll elaborate here .

My unscientific research tells me that the current-generation of gizmo-laden electronically-complex luxury cars have a life span of ~10 years. After that, they just start falling apart. Many times, the cost of repairs are unbelievably high relative to their book value. Want proof? Go through the number of 10-12 year old abandoned cars in this thread.

Now, even within the 10 year span, after the 6th or 7th year, serious issues can crop up (if they haven't already). If you've already owned it for long, it doesn't make sense to sell the car instead of repairing. However, in the same breath, I'll add that buying a 6 - 7 year old German simply doesn't make sense for the potential nightmares you'll be inheriting.

There's no such thing as a cheap luxury car. That's why you should get the newest one you can lay your hands on with the longest possible warranty. An old out-of-warranty German is something people like me don't have the risk appetite for.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 16:06   #804
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Talk about good luck! The rains have been relentless in Bombay as a result of which, many areas have flooded up since 1100 hours.

And today is just the day that my best friend borrowed the 530d (his Jetta has gone in for modifications). Take a look at the 530d's parking spot, while she is sitting safely in a corporate parking lot somewhere:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-capture.jpg

How the lane looks:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-whatsapp-image-20170829-15.18.28.jpeg

And the Sunny just learnt how to swim:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-capture2.jpg
GTO is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 18:13   #805
Senior - BHPian

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Take care you guys and stay safe. Actually thought of you and your 530d when I saw the news clip on the Mumbai rains. Good that a better parking slot was found albeit lucky.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 29th August 2017 at 18:14.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 23:22   #806
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... Take a look at the 530d's parking spot, while she is sitting safely in a corporate parking lot somewhere:
Holy Cow! You definitely have the blessings of the car gods.. Be it online or offline!

Please take care & be super safe!
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 10:48   #807
BHPian

Please excuse me if this query does not belong here.

My preowned 2011 520d had a issue yesterday night after a night drive.
While coming back to my place the IDrive Popped a warning message stating that loss of tyre pressure is detected.Thinking that a flat tyre was sensed by the TPMS I stopped and step't out to check all four tyres.There was nothing noticeably, atleast to my eyes ,with all the four tyres, which confirmed a Flat.when i got back inside and restarted the car the message was not popping up.And through the Idrive I reseted the tyre pressure after which it showed all green.

Does the system detects both flat tyre and slight loss in pressure.

Also in my case tyres are not RFT but normal upsized tubeless tyres 245/45/18 with MOMO rims which the previous owner had swapped before i brought the vehicle from him.Read somewhere that if its not RFT tyres the system cannot judge correctly the tyre pressures.Have my doubts on that because Afaik the ABS senses the pressure loss according to the rotations.Please correct me if Im wrong here.

So coming back to my issue ,should i check with a tyre shop to make sure its not a flat tyre or can i go blindly with the Idrive which after reset is showing all four tyres to be green or did I miss something here ??

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th September 2017 at 11:03. Reason: Two smilies per post please. Thanks.
Old 28th September 2017, 11:03   #808
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac View Post
As far as i remember it is just a tire pressure monitoring system, which throws a warning if the pressure drops beyond x psi. So yes both low pressure or puncture that result in lower psi will initiate the error on the console.

Quote:
So coming back to my issue ,should i check with a tyre shop to make sure its not a flat tyre or can i go blindly with the Idrive which after reset is showing all four tyres to be green or did I miss something here ??
You should get the tyres checked for correct psi reading when cold and then reset the on board system. Good idea to monitor the psi readings for a week or two also.

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th September 2017 at 11:05.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 13:22   #809
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac View Post

Also in my case tyres are not RFT but normal upsized tubeless tyres 245/45/18 with MOMO rims which the previous owner had swapped before i brought the vehicle from him.Read somewhere that if its not RFT tyres the system cannot judge correctly the tyre pressures.Have my doubts on that because Afaik the ABS senses the pressure loss according to the rotations.Please correct me if Im wrong here.

You are correct. RFT or Tubeless doesn't affect the tyre pressure loss warning. Do check the air pressure, sometimes a 2-4psi drop is not noticeable visually.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 00:58   #810
BHPian

Checked with the tyre shop.There is no Puncture on the tyres but there is some pressure loss because there happened to be a little bend on one alloy which I believe occurred when I jumped a pothole unnoticed the very same day.That made the tyre lose pressure through the bent rim. The tyre shop mechanic has rectified the bend on the alloy as of now and told me to be careful of the potholes as its a low profile tyre and there is every chance of the alloy bending again if Im not careful.

Thinking of changing the tyres to at-least a 50 profile one.The Current profile is 45 (245/45/18) which I believe is not suited for our Indian Roads. But then as its an 18 inch tyre what is the correct size if I increase the profile to say 50 or 55 as I heard there are not much options.

GTO hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread. If any issues Mods please move it to a appropriate thread. Its just that I follow this thread from the day I got my Beemer (though its a 520d) and I haven't touched the manual of my car till date as I find this thread to be more informative that the official manual itself. Hats off to you for this wonderful thread which in fact made me to buy a BMW in the first place. And do give us some updates about your Beemer which I reckon might have gone through some new mods as its been some time since you gave us an update of your Beast.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd October 2017 at 11:52. Reason: Lots of spelling / grammatical errors
lancer_maniac is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks