Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2010, 15:05   #406
Distinguished - BHPian

@Fordy, anytime you go to the A.S.S, try to check the owner's manual for upcoming repalcement schedules. It will help you counter such suggestions /solutions.

But good you made them look at the belt. Keep a can of WD-40 or similar for such cases.
Old 1st April 2010, 15:17   #407
Team-BHP Support

Fordy, all's well that ends well!
Between, next time you know where to go in case you want another opinion.

Wishing you a happy journey on your long distance trip. Have fun!
Old 1st April 2010, 16:06   #408
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
But good you made them look at the belt. Keep a can of WD-40 or similar for such cases.
WD40 for slipping belt? Wont it just kill the sound and belt still slip? Coca cola is better for this.

Instead look underneath the bonnet at the belt tensioner, use a spanner to tighten it
Old 1st April 2010, 16:12   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Jaggu, more as a general first-aid item for the car.
Old 1st April 2010, 16:16   #410
Team-BHP Support

ahhh like that! but cars rarely need wd40, especially new cars. WD and stuff are for junks like DwArF
Old 1st April 2010, 17:24   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
WD and stuff are for junks like DwArF
Argh comeon Jaggu, DwArF is so sweet! Why would You want to badmouth it!

PS: Justice will be served when DwArF pees on You (hope it doesnt, though)

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 1st April 2010 at 17:26.
Old 1st April 2010, 18:37   #412
BHPian

yeah right. by the way what is WD 40 and whats its use?
Old 1st April 2010, 18:54   #413
Team-BHP Support

OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
PS: Justice will be served when DwArF pees on You (hope it doesnt, though)
Actually Max pee's on DwArF and DwArF is trying to wet the floor in turn, and am trying to STOP both of them, from wetting anywhere Max is my lab. Coming to think of it DwArF tried to pee on Viji last sunday with Petrol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
yeah right. by the way what is WD 40 and whats its use?
Here you go Official Site For WD-40, the Versatile Product With Over 2000 Uses! and these are few of the uses
Old 1st April 2010, 23:23   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu

Here you go [URL="http://www.wd40.com/"
Official Site For WD-40, the Versatile Product With Over 2000 Uses![/url] and these are few of the uses
Thanks mate. It was very informative as always
Old 1st April 2010, 23:39   #415
Senior - BHPian

Good on ya Fordy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
engine belt sir - replace maada beku (need to replace), and gave me an estimate and job card was prepared. I asked him what do you think about the belt life - Our very intelligent guys believe that it is every 20 K kms -
I had an argument with the so called SME there and finally convinced him to take the belt out and see. I even threatened that I will complain to Ford as no troubleshooting is being doen, straight away replace fund. They removed it and we saw some dust particles inside it. Cleaned it with the wire brush - fix it back. Viola - everything is smooth & fine. Checked it in the night also today morning no screeching noise.

After all this - they didnt ask me to pay anything. Thats the end.
Unfortunately, servicing is a money making machine for unethical dealers. Betcha that belt would have found its way to another customer's car who paid full price.

WD40 is a lubricant and reduce friction whereas you need more here.

Last edited by Mpower : 1st April 2010 at 23:40.
Old 10th May 2010, 23:19   #416
Team-BHP Support

Reverse light switch replaced

The reverse light switch on my car had conked out some time ago, and i was running the car without the services of the reverse light, making for some rather difficult backing up sequences in the garage.

With the nearest Ford dealer being far away, i decided to procure the spare from my local spare parts guy, and got the fixing done at the independent garage which i had used the last time.

The cost of the switch was Rs. 560/- and the labor for fixing it was Rs.60/-, which was quite reasonable. I reckon that i i had gotten the part fixed at the dealer's, the labor alone would have cost me Rs.200/-.

Here are some pics of the replaced part.

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-img_8216.jpg

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-img_8217.jpg

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-img_8219.jpg

This was accessed from beneath the car, where a connector which was attached to this switch was removed, and the switch then unscrewed. Process was done in 10 mins flat.

Next time this needs to be replaced, i know where to look.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 10th May 2010 at 23:20.
Old 13th May 2010, 12:32   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Carnation flattered to deceive in my case as well, regarding the ignition coil for my car. First, they hounded me asking to allow them to place the order, then they stopped answering my calls. I dont suppose i would approach them henceforth.
I had a similar experience with carnation. Once when the A/C heater coil conked off, they told me that the replacement would require opening up entire dashboard. Since the car is still under warranty, I went to Lathangi and they did the job in 5 min flat. No need to open the dashboard of anything and now I can do it myself. Its another thing that Lathangi took another 45 min to generate the bill and deliver the car.

Another incident when someone banged my car from the back and the boot had jammed, Carnation guys themselves told me to go to A.S.S. Apparently they don't do Ford cars.

Quote:
Where exactly are you located? If nearby Marathalli, can recommend you both a shop for the spares, as well as a reliable garage where you can get it changed.
Yes, I need info on both. Marathalli would be perfect since I pass through the place daily.
Old 13th May 2010, 22:03   #418
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I had a similar experience with carnation. Once when the A/C heater coil conked off, they told me that the replacement would require opening up entire dashboard. Since the car is still under warranty, I went to Lathangi and they did the job in 5 min flat. No need to open the dashboard of anything and now I can do it myself.
Heater coil, or is it the divertor valve you're referring to?
I also got the valev bypassed at Lathangi. Now, the only disadvantage is that the cooling is always at the maximum.

Quote:
Its another thing that Lathangi took another 45 min to generate the bill and deliver the car.
How typical of them. They were always the same, right from the beginning. The service advisors were engaged with many cars at a time, that they were literally running all over the place!

Quote:
Another incident when someone banged my car from the back and the boot had jammed, Carnation guys themselves told me to go to A.S.S. Apparently they don't do Ford cars.
I remember someone else had also mentioned this on the Carnation thread.

Quote:
Yes, I need info on both. Marathalli would be perfect since I pass through the place daily.
For spares, contact Swift Spare Parts, located behind the Federal Bank ATM at Marathalli. This is on the small lane opposite to Kalamandir.

For servicing and other issues, Sejal Motor works is the place you need to go to. This is the next major junction when you go from Marathalli towards KR Puram. On the right side, there is a Bhagini restaurant and you need to take the service road in front of it. Go a little ahead on the service road, and there is a left turn towards Ferns City. Take that road and you should see the place i am talking about on your left. Call me in case you aren't able to find the place.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 13th May 2010 at 22:09.
Old 13th May 2010, 23:50   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Heater coil, or is it the divertor valve you're referring to?
I also got the valev bypassed at Lathangi. Now, the only disadvantage is that the cooling is always at the maximum.
Thanks Benny. And yes, I am talking about the valve. I know about the by-pass, but till the time I have warranty left, I might as well get it replaced. Running the 5th valve in last 2.5 years. And looks like I may need another replacement.
Instead of replacing, those buggers at Lathangi simply by-passed the valve and convinently forgot to let me know. I had to complain Ford and the service manager to get the replacement
Old 14th May 2010, 10:00   #420
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Thanks Benny. And yes, I am talking about the valve. I know about the by-pass, but till the time I have warranty left, I might as well get it replaced. Running the 5th valve in last 2.5 years. And looks like I may need another replacement.
Instead of replacing, those buggers at Lathangi simply by-passed the valve and convinently forgot to let me know. I had to complain Ford and the service manager to get the replacement
Ramesh, it makes sense in utilizing the warranty to the max. However, 5 divertor valves in 2.5 years is pushing the limit big time! Maybe you should ask them to provide you the part in bulk the next time it fails.

I really cannot understand how a part which has been known to fail on the Ikon since time immemorial has had nothing done to stop the rot.
Atleast they seem to have made some ammends about the ignition coil which was also a common failure part. I'm told the ignition coil on the newer Ikons is a lot more durable.

Most Viewed