Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2009, 23:28   #271
Team-BHP Support

No worries Ben most likely you will need a new glass which is available with ford, usually they snap off the clip while the rest of the unit will be intact.
Old 11th May 2009, 23:48   #272
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
No worries Ben most likely you will need a new glass which is available with ford, usually they snap off the clip while the rest of the unit will be intact.
I somehow seem to have mentaly prepared myself for them to say they dont have the mirror in stock with them, and i need to purchase the whole assembly. Will definitely need to get it done as i have a long trip ahead of me.
Old 11th May 2009, 23:59   #273
Team-BHP Support

Then pick one up from here and go, its not very costly i had replaced LT side after a similar fiasco from my driver.
Old 12th May 2009, 00:02   #274
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Then pick one up from here and go, its not very costly i had replaced LT side after a similar fiasco from my driver.
Isnt it better i analyze how much of the ORVM can be salvaged before i make the purchase? Frankly, i am not sure if the internal adjustment would be working or not.
Old 12th May 2009, 00:20   #275
Senior - BHPian

similar incident happened to me. however the assembly itself was working, so had to get a pair of mirrors for 130 a piece. which is a clip on to the ikon.
Old 12th May 2009, 10:50   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
benbsb29 : .. Rear of the bus hits the outer side of the ORVM ...
@Benny, any chance of getting a pic ? MMS ?

Also, just in case your wife has not observed the path & space taken by a bus/truck in turnings, suggest you explain to her how the rear of these long vehicles will 'step' out of line of the rear wheels as it passes by. Basically to explain the need to give additional space to these vehicles .. but not that one can always do this in such situations where any action is reactive & un-anticipated.
Old 12th May 2009, 13:58   #277
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
similar incident happened to me. however the assembly itself was working, so had to get a pair of mirrors for 130 a piece. which is a clip on to the ikon.
Thats reassuring till i get to check out the damage myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Benny, any chance of getting a pic ? MMS ?

Also, just in case your wife has not observed the path & space taken by a bus/truck in turnings, suggest you explain to her how the rear of these long vehicles will 'step' out of line of the rear wheels as it passes by. Basically to explain the need to give additional space to these vehicles .. but not that one can always do this in such situations where any action is reactive & un-anticipated.
Since i would be seeing the car myself on Friday, i didnt see the need for a snap to be sent.

Giving space to larger vehicles by anticipation is something which comes with practice. Will need to work on that part of her driving. However, since i wasnt really a witness to the incident, i am not sure if its entirely her fault. For all that matters, the bus may have decided to get all the more rash seeing a lady was driving, and overstepped his lane further. Some machoism at play, i would think.
Old 12th May 2009, 14:22   #278
Team-BHP Support

The mirror with plastic base is not very expensive and you can pick it up and carry, to check if assembly is working, ask your wifee to move the internal adjustment lever and observe the round glass holder outside. If its moving fine in all direction, then you are aok with a simple DIY.
Old 26th May 2009, 10:50   #279
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Quote:
I should have listened to you guys. The OEM mirror from Kairali Ford cost me Rs. 375/- including Tax. The brackets holding the mirror on the casing were salvageable, but required a little help from SuperGlue (DIY) once i got home.

The experience as such at Kairali Ford (Kottayam) was cordial and nice. However, the task that was expected of them wasnt such a big deal anyway!

The drive from Kerala to Bangalore was uneventful and i managed to click some good speeds as well. Managed to complete a distance of 624 kms from home to home in 12 hours exactly, which is way better than my usual standards, and also interestingly this being the first time that my 2 month young daughter was engaging in a long trip. We reached Bangalore with no signs of fatigue.

Will need to calculate the mileage from the trip, but will also need to account a boot FULL of luggage, 4 adults + 1 infant as passengers, and A/C perenially ON. Will update once i have the figures.
Old 26th May 2009, 13:56   #280
Team-BHP Support

FM Transmitter - Latest long distance companion

While i had an MP3 player installed on my car, the constant need to keep burning CDs turned out to be a dampner. Specially when going on those long trips (which were common in the recent past), the need for greater variety in the music was felt.

Based on recommendations from my colleague, a colleague and I bought a FM transmitter off Ebay. Cost worked out to Rs.1300/- including delivery. Best part is that it plays songs off SD cards, pen drives, as well as MP3 players. You are only limited by the capacity of the device you're reading from.

The transmitter is powered from the 12V supply on your car.

Tune the transmitter to a desired frequency, and pick up this broadcast from your FM receiver on the car. As simple as that!

Since i had some queries by PM about the product, am posting it here for reference.

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-img_5108.jpg

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-img_5109.jpg

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-img_5110.jpg

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-img_5111.jpg

EDIT : Forgot to mention, this also acts as a handfree and can be paired to your Bluetooth on the mobile.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 26th May 2009 at 13:57.
Old 26th May 2009, 14:26   #281
Distinguished - BHPian

Big Bend,

Why would you need this over a (BT-enabled) HU ?

Last edited by theMAG : 26th May 2009 at 14:30.
Old 26th May 2009, 14:33   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Big Bend,

Guess the HU which he is having now does not support the MP3 or USB drive, so he would have gone for this unit.

Quote:
Since i had some queries about the product,
What is the queries ???

Last edited by gowda79 : 26th May 2009 at 14:34.
Old 26th May 2009, 14:52   #283
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Big Bend,

If i had a BT enabled HU, i wouldnt need this. However, as things are at the moment i will need to rely on this.

I didnt have knowledge of TBHP when i went about getting ICE installed in my car 3 years ago, hence the omission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
What is the queries ???
That was a typo. It should have read as "others".
Old 10th July 2009, 16:20   #284
Team-BHP Support

30,000 kms service

I gave in the car for the service to be conducted at the 30,000 kms mark. At the time of service, the car had completed 31201 kms.

Few minor issues which needed to be looked into, which included :

1) Wind noise at speeds greater than 60 kmph : Obviously a case of the windscreen replacement job being shoddy. I had pointed this out to them at the last service itself, but since my wife was expecting, and we couldnt afford not to ahave the car with us, i had asked for this to be taken up later. This time round, it was to be.

2) Cabin light didnt light up when the RHS rear door was opened. Worked fine for all other doors.

3) A/C managing to pull in external smells even in recirculation mode.

4) Replacement of the ORVM on the right, as the holder for the mirror was broken.

I had booked my appointment at Lathangi for a sunday, and was attended to by Shoaib, who was very regular with his updates on the progress. Car was promised by tuesday, but i mentioned i would pick it up on Wednesday.

Collected the vehicle post service on Wednesday, and it was ready as promised. It had a little dust on it, as the cleaning and washing was completed on tuesday. Asked them not to bother with cleaning it again, as it was drizzling when i went to collect the car.

The final bill amount along with the breakup of items are mentioned below:

PARTS

Fuel Filter : 137.50
Mesh filter : 118.62
Wash fluid pouch : 49.89
Oil filter SOHC : 80.56
Element Aircleaner : 263.60
Mirror RH : 1280.03
Distilled Water : 5.62
Engine Oil 4.6L : 736.00
Clip (6 pieces) : 22.74

Parts TOTAL : 2596.56

LABOUR & SERVICES

Service : 916.80
Brake System Bleeding : 183.36
Check & Adjust Spark Plugs : 61.12
Mirror Remove and install : 152.80 (!!)
Consumables : 275.00

Labour Total : 1589.08

Education Cess : 4.77
Service Tax : 158.91
VAT : 336.82

Grand TOTAL : 4784.00
Old 10th July 2009, 16:39   #285
Team-BHP Support

Was the first issue solved to your satisfaction ? What did they do with it ?

Most Viewed