Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2009, 14:09   #316
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Benny excellent updates! I suggest you go for the extended warranty if its under 10k for another 2-3 years, nothing to do with Ford or iKON but for the indian conditions and the age factor, its like an insurance. Also go through the coverage details before you pay up, since it vary with brands.
Jaggu, shouldnt one renew the warranty before the current one expires? If that is so, my time has run out.

Also, i didnt get any calls from the dealer asking if i wanted to extend the warranty. Is this the max provided, i dont know.

Somehow, Lathangi is not as proactive in these matters as Cauvery Ford was. Even to this day, i get reminder calls from Cauvery Motors regarding insurance renewal, almost 2 years after they gave up the Ford dealership!
Old 7th October 2009, 14:52   #317
Team-BHP Support

Just check with the dealer, am not sure about the actual renewal policy. When i purchased there was no such options in the first place
Old 7th October 2009, 17:45   #318
Senior - BHPian

Nice review - Well explained.
Keep going..
Thanks
Old 7th October 2009, 19:23   #319
Senior - BHPian

Benny congratulations on completing 3 yrs with the car. Quite a few things the car needs better tyres, a headlamp upgrade and some good ICE.
If alloys are outta question you always can do a tyre upgrade and stick to the stock rims.

BTW lemme know when you can give my scorp' some disco lights in the cabin. Lunch is on me.

Quote:
Benny excellent updates! I suggest you go for the extended warranty if its under 10k for another 2-3 years, nothing to do with Ford or iKON but for the indian conditions and the age factor, its like an insurance. Also go through the coverage details before you pay up, since it vary with brands.
Anna get him to upgrade the OE headlamp bulbs and then we will talk . He was skeptical about the upgrade that it might affect the warranty.
Old 7th October 2009, 19:26   #320
Team-BHP Support

I think he is more like me, i upgraded the headlights at the last leg of my iKON ownership @ 6 years But yes it is recommended coz these days straight swap are available without any chop job.

ps: am still running stock bulbs in ddis
Old 8th October 2009, 02:22   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
ISSUES?
Well, there was a time when the reverse gear failed to engage, which resulted in some rather embarassing moments when i had to park at the Forum Mall, as well as some other places. We would drive up, then 3-4 people would get out, and then push to reverse. This was rectified under the Extended Warranty, although i had to pay for some parts which werent covered.
I too face the same issue at times, but what I've found was that if I shift the car into first gear and move the car, then the reverse gear begins to work again. This issue has been there all along, but I didn't get it fixed, since this work-around seems to work every time.

Quote:
Back from a 10 day trip to Kerala, these important milestones came up on the way, as we inch towards the 3 years of ownership mark.
I too plan to travel to Kerala later this month.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ayam-trip.html

Any suggestions for the Bangalore to Kottayam part of the trip?

Last edited by InternetUser : 8th October 2009 at 02:24.
Old 8th October 2009, 11:59   #322
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just check with the dealer, am not sure about the actual renewal policy. When i purchased there was no such options in the first place
I shall check with them, although chances are grim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Nice review - Well explained.
Keep going..
Thanks
Thanks a lot, Nair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Benny congratulations on completing 3 yrs with the car. Quite a few things the car needs better tyres, a headlamp upgrade and some good ICE.
If alloys are outta question you always can do a tyre upgrade and stick to the stock rims.

BTW lemme know when you can give my scorp' some disco lights in the cabin. Lunch is on me.

Anna get him to upgrade the OE headlamp bulbs and then we will talk . He was skeptical about the upgrade that it might affect the warranty.
Riju, thanks for the wishes and comments.
I am fine with the current headlamps for city usage, as they are well-focussed and light the road fine. Its when i am blinded by other inconsiderate users that i feel the urge to retaliate in kind.

As for tyres, the current MRFs are noisy, but they sure are long lasting. Grip is on the lower side, as expected. Alloys i would love to have. Will plan for them.

Lets catch up sometime so i can have a look at how the cabin light for the Scorp is. Then i can design the setup accordingly. You really want disco lights or the white ones?

Quote:
I think he is more like me, i upgraded the headlights at the last leg of my iKON ownership @ 6 years But yes it is recommended coz these days straight swap are available without any chop job.

ps: am still running stock bulbs in ddis
Are you aware if i would require a relay with the upgrade, or will a bulb upgrade be enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetUser View Post
I too face the same issue at times, but what I've found was that if I shift the car into first gear and move the car, then the reverse gear begins to work again. This issue has been there all along, but I didn't get it fixed, since this work-around seems to work every time.

I too plan to travel to Kerala later this month.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ayam-trip.html

Any suggestions for the Bangalore to Kottayam part of the trip?
InternetUser, I usually do not have any issues with the slotting to reverse. In the case where it failed, the reverse just simply failed to engage! All my attempts were met with really high resistance, and i had to give up. Pushing was the only way to reverse the car. I had to put up with this over a weekend, as i desperately needed the services of the car as my cousin was visiting.

OFFTOPIC : For the Bangalore-Kottayam part of your trip, you can either use the Palakkad route, or else the Kumily route.

Personally, i prefer the latter owing to lesser traffic, more scenic route. Roads are also in great shape.

Route is:
Bangalore -> Hosur -> Krishnagiri -> Dharmapuri -> Salem -> Dindigul -> Theni -> Kambam -> Kumily -> Mundakkayam -> Kottayam.

You can find more details regarding the route in the Kerala route queries section, or even in rjstyles69's latest travelogue to Vagamon. Let me know if you want further details.
Old 8th October 2009, 12:57   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Riju, thanks for the wishes and comments.
I am fine with the current headlamps for city usage, as they are well-focussed and light the road fine. Its when i am blinded by other inconsiderate users that i feel the urge to retaliate in kind.
I read a few posts back that the car was being used mostly for highway drives. Hence my suggestion.
Quote:
As for tyres, the current MRFs are noisy, but they sure are long lasting. Grip is on the lower side, as expected. Alloys i would love to have. Will plan for them.
Quote:
Keep them as a priority, everything else can wait.
Lets catch up sometime so i can have a look at how the cabin light for the Scorp is. Then i can design the setup accordingly. You really want disco lights or the white ones?
I want the white lights and something bright.

Quote:
Are you aware if i would require a relay with the upgrade, or will a bulb upgrade be enough?
Relay is the way to go with ceramic holders. The whole thing should cost you under 1k.
Old 17th October 2009, 15:56   #324
BHPian

Quote:
I just bought a used ikon flair 2006 model. I am facing the same problem. And the same solution works for me as well pretty consistently.

Last edited by Eddy : 20th October 2009 at 20:36. Reason: Quotes
Old 20th October 2009, 20:41   #325
Team-BHP Support

Fog lamps not working

I travelled to Mysore over the weekend, and during one of my night time drives, felt the need for some more illumination, and turned on the fog lamps. The switch got activated, and the LED indicating the same turned on, but there was no difference in the available lighting.

I stopped the car to have a look, and just as i thought, the fog lamps hadnt turned on. Since it wasnt so serious. i decided to ignore it for the time being, and carry on with my journey.

After getting back to Bangalore, i took the car to Lathangi Ford today for a checkup. All the usual suspects were checked -- fuse, replacing the lamps and for any visible signs of any cut wires. None of these were the culprit. The service advisor mentioned that this would take about 3 hours, and if i could wait since i was with family. I decided against it, and decided to have this attended to when i bring in the car for service later.

I reckon rats could be the issue here, as even earlier, they had chewed up the Autocop wires, and the audio indicator had stopped working.

Does anyone have any idea what may be the culprit? IS there anything else that needs to be checked?

Also, as mentioned on the rat menace thread, are tobacco pouches really effective?
Old 20th October 2009, 20:47   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I reckon rats could be the issue here, as even earlier, they had chewed up the Autocop wires, and the audio indicator had stopped working.

Does anyone have any idea what may be the culprit? IS there anything else that needs to be checked?
Could be a loose connection but since you have got things checked, I guess the rats are chewing away !

Quote:
Also, as mentioned on the rat menace thread, are tobacco pouches really effective?
Works for me atleast
Old 20th October 2009, 20:49   #327
Senior - BHPian

i faced a similar problem in my GTX.

1. the LED was working on the switch
2. the fuse was OK
3. current was flowing from switch to fuse and fuse to the fog light (a single wire sends current to the RHS lamp and from RHS one to the LHS.
4. the bulbs were OK.

the mechanic made a parallel wire from the fuse box (inside the cabin) to the RHS cluster. i think there was some puncture in between the fuse box and the RHS cluster (the fog light had a mind of its own because it was working the previous day).

@ Benny - ask them to check with a parallel connection.
Old 5th November 2009, 10:02   #328
Team-BHP Support

I pressed the button to spray the wiper fluid yesterday, and although there is a sound of the pump, nothing gets sprayed. I tried to locate if there was some pipe which was loose somewhere, but found none. I now wonder if the nozzle is jammed?

Had to drop off a friend last evening, and i was driving along the road leading from KR Puram flyover towards ITPL. The car scraped itself badly over an unmarked speed mountain, and the grinding noise broke my heart. God bless the kind hearted souls who put that mountain in place. May all their wishes be fulfilled!

While i am parking the car at home, i hear some sort of a rattling sound which stops when i switch off the engine. I reckon its the silencer holding which may have borne the brunt of last night's thump, and is now rattling itself to glory. Damn!
Old 5th November 2009, 10:44   #329
Team-BHP Support

I have replaced the silencer holding twice or thrice in my car. Should not cost you much. But do it asap, else the silence may require some welding if its thrown around.

And you are out of warranty now, better look up a good private garage !
Old 5th November 2009, 12:15   #330
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I pressed the button to spray the wiper fluid yesterday, and although there is a sound of the pump, nothing gets sprayed. I tried to locate if there was some pipe which was loose somewhere, but found none. I now wonder if the nozzle is jammed?
Open the hood and trace the line for the windshield washer, there will be a plastic connector on the tube. Remove it and use a wire/pin to clean the ball and spring system, which will be stuck. Wash the attachment with water to clear the dirt. Blow and check if its working, it will allow the air/water to pass only in one direction, that is from tank to nozzle, so while refitting ensure its positioned correct.

Most Viewed