Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2010, 18:23   #376
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Good to know that the replacement has been done and that the car is back to normal. As you said, Carnation and Bosch seems to be a let down in terms of their promised. I thought Ford parts were supplied by Motorcraft.

Motorcraft

Now, you need to go on a drive to ensure that all is working well!! You know my number!!
The ignition coil which was removed also bore the Motorcraft branding, but it could also be a case of just branding it, which is what i believe.

A small spin in the evening to pick up wifey told me 'All izz well'. Hope it stays so!

I find it quite surprising that initially it was the SAs at Carnation who were literally behind me stating that they would source the part for me. Then I thought i would wait and get it from the dealer, but since they persisted i gave in. They said they would call me the very next day with the price and once i confirm, the order would be placed.

I didn't receive any calls from them, and when i called back to check, it wasnt answered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
ATB bole to All the best

The PS fluid is leaking but the pump ain't the culprit. Ford will change the entire assembly for close to 20k. I am looking for cheaper options ya !
Did you check the seal? That should be the culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Replace the bearing when you replace the clutch, its totally worth it.
Makes sense, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Dude, thats great news. Is this the same shop I told you about or another one? I need to desperately get my car serviced. I am sure there might be some suspension work required as it is close to 50K now. Are these guys upto it?
Or, I was thinking of getting the car serviced by the Metro guys, take down the list of things they think need changed/repaired and check with the your guy.
Whaddya think?
Yes Samarth! The very same place. Thanks for the tip.
As you said, get the service done from Metro saying you'll be back later for the remaining work, and then we'll just get it checked at the garage i mentioned. Or we could even do it before the service.
Old 9th February 2010, 13:39   #377
Team-BHP Support

System G and its effects

During the course of the ignition coil issue, i was advised to try out System G on my car, just so i could confirm it wasnt a temporary issue owing to bad fuel.

Although the manual recommends the usage of System G with normal petrol, i have never used it on my car, being quite content with the fuel from Shell, as well as my usual HP bunk in Brookfields.

Two tankfulls and a changed ignition coil later, the difference could easily be felt. The car purred like a dream, and was really smooth. It felt worth it. As time passed, i grew lazy, and stopped using System G (owing to lack of time) over 2 tankfulls. The car soon began to feel rough, and there was a clear contrast over the previous feeling.

Yesterday, i topped up yet again, and this morning added 30 ml of System G to the tank. The difference was immediate! The car really feels smooth now.

Looking at this, is this proving to be an addiction for the engine?
Old 9th February 2010, 13:43   #378
Distinguished - BHPian

Benny, that's the best way to feel the difference of this addi(c)tive ! Have seen that time & again, and now keep using Sys-D with both - Ikon & the truck. Any diff in FE ?
Old 9th February 2010, 15:30   #379
Team-BHP Support

Parwath, since the earlier tankfulls using System G were when the ignition coil had issues, the mileage was on the lower side, around the 10 kmpl mark. Following replacement of the coil, it went back to the usual 12-14 kmpl range.

Will check this time how it fares with System G.
Old 10th February 2010, 10:50   #380
Team-BHP Support

FE will have a very very minor diff say .5 to 1 km at the max. But engine does respond better, my suggestion regular IOC petrol and System G every alternate full tank.
Old 10th February 2010, 21:00   #381
BHPian

Guys,

How much System G per litre? How to add it? I always fill tank till brim in SHell Only (As far as Possible) so How do I add system G? Where can I get it? Benny - do you know if it is available in Shell Bunk?
Old 10th February 2010, 23:30   #382
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
FE will have a very very minor diff say .5 to 1 km at the max. But engine does respond better, my suggestion regular IOC petrol and System G every alternate full tank.
Dont know why.. but i have this not so happy feeling about IOC pumps. I usually stick to HP Club or normal outlets even when on the highway.

Alternate tanks with System G is a good suggestion. Might stick to that option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
Guys,

How much System G per litre? How to add it? I always fill tank till brim in Shell Only (As far as Possible) so How do I add system G? Where can I get it? Benny - do you know if it is available in Shell Bunk?
The manual as well as the directions on the bottle of System G mention 1 ml per liter of petrol. So, if i fill petrol, and it takes in 30 liters, i add 30 ml. I ignore the fuel already present in the tank.

The bottle has a measuring jar kinda setup on it, where you can measure upto 10 ml of System G by pressing it. I then use a pen or something to press open the lid to the petrol tank, and pour the contents inside.

System G is not available at Shell outlets, AFAIK. You get them at BP outlets. I picked it up from the BP outlet in HSR layout. I believe its 300 bucks for 250 ml.
Old 11th February 2010, 10:56   #383
Senior - BHPian

Benny the System G now contains less than 250ml of additive at the same price of 299INR.

all the best.
Old 16th February 2010, 21:34   #384
BHPian

Thanks Benny, I am going to try it out this time and let you know. Is it OK to add it to every litre of petrol, or only alternate tanks? I dont want this fellow to get addicted to it :(
Old 18th February 2010, 12:59   #385
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Benny the System G now contains less than 250ml of additive at the same price of 299INR.
Thats bad! So inflation has had its effect on fuel additives as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
Thanks Benny, I am going to try it out this time and let you know. Is it OK to add it to every litre of petrol, or only alternate tanks? I dont want this fellow to get addicted to it :(
As Jaggu and the others mentioned earlier, use System G with alternate tankfuls. That should suffice. And yes, use 1ml per litre of petrol. Using more wont have any greater effect, other than being a waste of the additive.
Old 9th March 2010, 11:41   #386
BHPian

Thanks Benny for providing valuable comments to my queries on Ikon 1.3.

For the benefit of others who might also be considering Ikon petrol, iam posting selectively some of Benny's comments:

"The 1.3 ROCAM gives me between 11-14kmpl in city mileage with varying levels of A/C usage, and on highway between 15-18 kmpl. 18 kmpl though is really rare, since i dont restrict myself too much if there is a good clear stretch of highway."

"With A/C on, the power is slightly reduced in stop-go traffic, so you'll have to work your way through the gears."

From the above point, looks like the Duratec 1.6 would have been ideal on Ikon, this car being lighter than Fiesta.
Any specific reason Ford does not give the Duratec 1.6 engine in Ikon, apart from the increased cost factor?
Old 9th March 2010, 12:43   #387
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
From the above point, looks like the Duratec 1.6 would have been ideal on Ikon, this car being lighter than Fiesta.
Any specific reason Ford does not give the Duratec 1.6 engine in Ikon, apart from the increased cost factor?
The reason they provided behind phasing out the Ikon 1.6 was to avoid direct competition to the Fiesta 1.6.

Those days, there was no engine-sharing which was seen across models, although that now no longer applies since we see the TDCi being shared across the Fiesta, the Ikon D, the Fusion and now the Figo D.
Old 27th March 2010, 11:28   #388
Team-BHP Support

40,500 kms up

Another Kerala trip, and more kms added to the odo. With this trip, we heralded the 40,000 kms mark. Going into the trip, i was so busy that i just couldn't find any time to prepare the car for the trip. I couldn't even make time to check the tyre pressures even. It was just a matter of load the boot, and drive off.

The car performed well as expected lugging a totally loaded boot as well as three adults and an infant, and still maintaining good consistent speeds. Thanks to the ripping, the FE dropped, but I guess that was to be expected.

In Kerala, we had to visit some rather inaccessible places, and I risked taking the car to the place where people highly recommended that we hire a Jeep to take us there. With a boot loaded to the brim, 4 adults and an infant the car trudged up really steep climbs with no road surface which seemed rather insane now that i come to think of it. Thankfully, we came out of it with no sore incidents to report of.

Here are some pics which i had clicked along the course of the trip home and back.

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-copy-copy-img_7972.jpg

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-copy-img_7725.jpg

For only the second time in the past 40,000 + kms, i faced a puncture on the car. This time, it was the front left wheel. I noticed the same when taking the car out of my office parking lot, and it took me about 30 mins to swap the wheel with the spare, and get going. When i took the spare to get it repaired, the guy pulled out a sharp steel object which caused the damage. I dumped the old tube, and asked to insert a new tube in the wheel. Waiting to wear out these tyres before i switch to tubeless.
However, considering the life of MRF tyres, its going to be a while before they wear off!

The servicing is due, but i still cannot make up my mind on whether to visit the dealer, or the independent garage.
Old 27th March 2010, 12:02   #389
Senior - BHPian

Hey Ben,
Congratulations on 40K kms on your odo.
Nice to see a fellow owner having a nice time with their ride.
BTW do you know of any accessory shop in blr where they do the boot release system. I have been unable to find out about it so far.
Old 27th March 2010, 13:32   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Currently, trying to get it sourced through Carnation. Lets see if it works out.
Between, thought of you as soon as i felt the ignition pack may need to be replaced. At what reading on the odo was your replaced?
Carnation had a service camp in a hospital I had gone. I gave the car to them for checking thinking that it cannot cause any harm. By seeing how confused and incompetent the guys were I decided never to visit them, though it is close to my house.

Struggling to open the bonet and fixing it, operating wipers on a dry glass and searching for the controls showed that they cannot be trusted with any car.

Most Viewed