Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2011, 20:48   #1711
BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience!Part II-46,000 kms Update Pag

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikilbhatkar View Post
I received a feedback request mail from MASS, along with it was a document on "Operational Tips". Within this document, there was a section on "How to get maximum mileage". The following point was mentioned in it :

From the start gradually accelerate to the speed of 40kmph through 1st to 4th gear. As soon as you touch 40kmph, shift to 5th gear and gradually accelerate to 50 kmph. Keep cruising between the speed range of 50 and 60 kmph in the 5th gear.

Isn't the speed to less for the gear ?
These ratios are fine for the petrol cars, but not for the diesel one. The gear ratios for Swift D are different than that of petrol cars, and it's hard to drive at this speed. For me it's minimum of 70kmph to shift to 5th gear!
Old 10th February 2011, 23:20   #1712
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience!Part II-46,000 kms Update Pag

It just so much depends on the circumstances; incline and traffic, that I think it is irresponsible of them to give advice like that.

Besides, "gradually accelerate to the speed of 40kmph through 1st to 4th gear" --- doesn't say anything, really: you could stay in 2nd until 35, and use plenty of fuel!
Old 11th February 2011, 17:04   #1713
BHPian

Ok, one of the horn in my swift diesel seems to have conked off. Now the other is also not working. What can be the reason pls? Has it anything to do with the battery? Its only been year and i have done 25,000 kms. All the other parameters are normal. Planning to take it to the SC tomorrow.

Thanks.
Old 12th February 2011, 20:24   #1714
BHPian

Dear Jaggu and all swift owners,
I have noticed a problem which is very recent after EGR cleaning, let me narrate how this started-
Problem- a noise similar to metal hitting hard surface or something like sound emitting when you hit rubberized metal.
noise appears from front left side, its heard only when vehicle slowly gets down from the hump. the noise doesn't appear if the hump is run over 20kmphr speed or above.

Probable cause-(this is what i feel) this noise appeared after tie rod and thin metal sheet which houses the controller and wiper motor was removed (to access EGR ) and re fixed after cleaning EGR.
any indication for diagnosis will be of great help.
waiting in anticipation
Old 13th February 2011, 15:10   #1715
Senior - BHPian

I dont know where to post my query,Yesterday the boundary wall of my office parking lot collapsed on my 6month old swift vdi
I will have to replace the hatch, rear windshield and bumper.Is it possible to fit the glass from that of the zxi,as it comes with a wiper.Will this effect the warranty.I am getting the job done at MASS.
help
Old 13th February 2011, 22:14   #1716
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
Probable cause-(this is what i feel) this noise appeared after tie rod and thin metal sheet which houses the controller and wiper motor was removed (to access EGR ) and re fixed after cleaning EGR.
any indication for diagnosis will be of great help.
waiting in anticipation
Might be the wiper assembly but i really dont understand why anybody would remove all that to access EGR. Only thing that needs to be removed is the battery for EGR cleaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I will have to replace the hatch, rear windshield and bumper.Is it possible to fit the glass from that of the zxi,as it comes with a wiper.Will this effect the warranty.I am getting the job done at MASS.
help
Really sorry to hear the news.

It is possible though you will have to do the wiring and replace the switch stalk since its different. Warranty should not be an issue but insurance will not cover this "upgrade". So unless desperate for defogger and wiper, not worth the hazel.

Snowhite goes for 50k service tomorrow. I have been neglecting alot recently and have lots of small small stuff to attend to.
Old 14th February 2011, 09:30   #1717
BHPian

[quote=Jaggu;2243307]Might be the wiper assembly but i really dont understand why anybody would remove all that to access EGR. Only thing that needs to be removed is the battery for EGR cleaning.

Dear Jaggu,
Thats what i was wondering, on enquiring the SA said the screws can't be accessed from any other angle so they removed crossmember, tie rod and then removed EGR, i was there when they removed the EGR it was indeed quite difficult to access the screws. I was not aware about removing battery to reach EGR, probably next time i will ensure its done that way.
One more thing this service guys are so reluctant to clean EGR. on me giving them my piece of mind they oblidge to clean it.

Things noticed after cleaning EGR- vehicle rushes to high speed with least effort as compared to earlier days.(before cleaning EGR)
Less black smoke
turbo opens at 1800rpm (dont know is it the effect of egr cleaning) but earlier turbo use to open up at 2200rpm (butt feeling)

SDT was connected and was confirmed at 2200rpm in 3rd gear the boost pressure was 220kpa ( dont know whats the right kpa at 2200rpm)

i have one more query- does the gear shifting becomes smooth on changing engine oil (mobil devlac MX)? .
Old 14th February 2011, 10:36   #1718
BANNED

Jaggu

Today morning tried to start the car , saw that Diesel sedimenter light is on. Switched off the engine and restarted. Now the svs light does not go off before starting. Now in service station, the SA tells me it might be the battery. Mycar is only 2years old. Does swift OE battery has this much life? Also which is best battery for my ddis?

Cheers Dilipkumar

sent from Desire HD
Old 14th February 2011, 10:59   #1719
Team-BHP Support

Yup Dreamy the technicians somehow dont want to do the EGR job, have given very specific instruction today morning and hopefully it will be done this time

@dilip: yes if the battery is weak this is the first symptom. Get the battery checked to confirm. Reg life of OE battery, its pure luck also. But can happen even at 2 year mark, especially if running is less.
Old 14th February 2011, 13:24   #1720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
Jaggu

Today morning tried to start the car , saw that Diesel sedimenter light is on. Switched off the engine and restarted. Now the svs light does not go off before starting. Now in service station, the SA tells me it might be the battery.
This seems to be a Swift quirk! Diesel water-filter light on means poor battery condition! I have no idea what light comes on if you have water in the diesel filter!

Best to believe it and get the battery changed before it lets you down when you really need it --- which happened to me in pouring rain, when I had turned off the engine at a long-red signal at a very busy crossing
Old 16th February 2011, 14:08   #1721
BHPian

@Jaggu:
I gave my Swift D for 30K service to Suraksha. They did the normal service, but did not do EGR Cleaning. The SA said, EGR cleaning has raised lot of complaints for MASS. He said, if the car is giving too much black smoke they will do it.

What is your suggestion?
Old 16th February 2011, 14:58   #1722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I gave my Swift D for 30K service to Suraksha. They did the normal service, but did not do EGR Cleaning. The SA said, EGR cleaning has raised lot of complaints for MASS. He said, if the car is giving too much black smoke they will do it.
The reasoning sounds stupid but EGR cleaning at 35-40K is fine. I havent done my EGR cleaning running at around 39K and i dont see any dip in the turbo performance.

I am cleaning it along with 40K service only
Old 16th February 2011, 17:54   #1723
BHPian

This issue of the egr cleaning and whether its necessary to remove the wiper assembly and ecu panel. -On the Swift.

Basically, the fact is that the EGR can be accessed without removing the wipers and panels-- However, believe me, the job is made a hell of a lot easier by taking off the wipers and ECU panel. The other benefit to this is that there is far less danger of damaging other components (wiring in particular- which in these cars is seriously flimsy- also some of the fuel components)

Taking off the wiper assembly and the ECU panel is actually very easy- and hardly takes a few minutes- giving much clearer access to the EGR and the Intake etc..

To me the Mechanics who follow this, i.e taking off the wipers and Panel- show a bit more competence than those who don't.

Hope this helps
Old 16th February 2011, 18:24   #1724
tez
BHPian

guys, my swift has 37000 kms under the belt now and planning to go for a service. Kindly advise any specific things like EGR cleaning etc to be instructed to SA other than the ones mentioned in the manual. Ne ideas how much is the cost of new brake boosters for swift. I have read on the forum that they are better than the old ones. Planning to get them replaced as well.
Apart from Sai Service JM Road, any other service stations with which guys have good experience.
Old 17th February 2011, 11:13   #1725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
Jaggu

Today morning tried to start the car , saw that Diesel sedimenter light is on. Switched off the engine and restarted. Now the svs light does not go off before starting. Now in service station, the SA tells me it might be the battery. Mycar is only 2years old. Does swift OE battery has this much life? Also which is best battery for my ddis?

Cheers Dilipkumar

sent from Desire HD
Same thing happened to my car. It has run 26k kms in 22months.
The battery has been sent to the vendor one month ago and iam still running on service battery.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks