Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2011, 15:15   #1726
Team-BHP Support

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience!Part II-46,000 kms Update Pag

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
The SA said, EGR cleaning has raised lot of complaints for MASS. He said, if the car is giving too much black smoke they will do it.
I am updating my 50k service experience and there you can see the EGR cleaning experience, finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The reasoning sounds stupid but EGR cleaning at 35-40K is fine. I havent done my EGR cleaning running at around 39K and i dont see any dip in the turbo performance.

I am cleaning it along with 40K service only
Update on my experience coming up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulvinder singh View Post
This issue of the egr cleaning and whether its necessary to remove the wiper assembly and ecu panel. -On the Swift.
==========
Hope this helps
Really did not understand the wiper part, ECU connectors i understand since it sits inside the engine bay. Wiper assembly sits behind the firewall area under the wiper trim. How will it help removing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tez View Post
guys, my swift has 37000 kms under the belt now and planning to go for a service. Kindly advise any specific things like EGR cleaning etc to be instructed to SA other than the ones mentioned in the manual.
I follow the service manual and did EGR cleaning this time around since it was not done previously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
Same thing happened to my car. It has run 26k kms in 22months.
The battery has been sent to the vendor one month ago and iam still running on service battery.
If it is under 1 year, you can try for warranty replacement through MUL.

50k service update coming up
Old 17th February 2011, 15:42   #1727
Team-BHP Support

50,000 kms update.

Snowie has been running around without much care for the last few months, neglect was showing up in the cars behavior. Engine somehow was feeling gruff, brake callipers were making a racket along with the usual rattle's that come up by around 3-4k kms after service. I also have to be blamed since i have not been very kind and pushing and abusing the car a lil bit.

Mandovi and Gangadhar (SA) were the preferred doc, walked in on Monday morning with my list.

- 50,000 kms service
- Check clutch
- Oil change
- EGR Cleaning
- Brake clean up, inspect the pads
- Brake / Suspension and body rattle sound.

I had carried Mobil Delvac MX as usual. While discussing the issue's injector clean up came up. Apparently the machine treatment termed as decarb is done using a machine which is connected onto the fuel rail. Good thing is injectors will be cleaned more than anything else. They use 3M product for this, so decided i will give it a try.

Only specific and repetitive instruction was EGR cleaning, even if it takes 2-3 days in addition. I wanted it done, period!

Day 1: I get a call late evening from Ganagadhar and he is all excited, having done the EGR cleaning he felt the car was moving well. Also though the clutch pedal was feeling tight, he ruled out any issues with it. He said tomorrow he will do a thorough job on rattle etc and then call me.

Day 2: I was really busy at work and did not bother to make a call.

Day 3: It was a holiday for some, so afternoon i call up to check if the workshop is open and Gangadhara confirms that they are working and that EGR cleaning gave them a big pain and hence lost lot of time. Good part everything was sorted out and vehicle is ready.

Went to collect the car and took test drive. One word WOW difference was very apparent! There can be multiple reason, but 50k service has done wonders to engine. New oil, clean egr, clean injector = Super healthy power delivery and refinement. Even the rattle all taken care.

I can confidently say that this was THE BEST service job i had got for Snowie. Bill came to around 4xxx and i had 2xxx Rs worth points, so landed up paying some 19xx bucks. But worth every single paise!! 10/10 for Gangadhara and team.

Now story of EGR cleaning. As i had mentioned earlier, when they took the test drive though car was feeling better, but SA noticed turbo leak sound. It was from EGR. They removed and tried fitting the unit 2-3 times, then it was found that one of the clamps have got busted and was turning around and hence leaking, after tightening up. Clamp is not available in spares and they somehow manage to arrange it the second day and hence the delay.

Gangadhar admitted that the EGR unit was chocked to the core, it would have definitely given up an error sooner or later.

So to answer the questions about EGR.

Is EGR cleaning recommended?

Yes! if not at 30k kms atleast get it done by around 40-50k kms. You will not regret it. MUL has mentioned in the manual for a reason i guess.

Is it tricky?

Its really not tricky, its a labor intensive job. Consumes lot of time and hence MASS prefer to push it, since they get only 600 bucks where they can make more than this with other minor jobs. This is my take on it.

Have driven the car for about 40 kms now and engine is sounding better and better and hope it stays like this for long. Need to do the alignment and balancing done this weekend and then fix an appointment for 3M detailing.
Old 17th February 2011, 16:06   #1728
BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience!Part II 50k kms Update Page 1

EGR Cleaning they charge just 600 bucks, Rns yeshwantpur charged me 1500rs
jaggu does gear shift has any relation with change of engine oil, my swift's gear shift has become smooth after engine oil (mobil devlac mx) change,
Old 17th February 2011, 17:59   #1729
Team-BHP Support

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience!Part II 50k kms Update Page 1

Ok small correction 600 + the clamp 200 Rs makes it 800 bucks.

Well a smoother engine can result in smoother gear shift, but it can be placebo effect or due to running in also
Old 17th February 2011, 18:50   #1730
BHPian

The wiper assembly clamps through the ECU panel- so the ECU panel can't be taken out without first removing the wiper assembly.

Also a word of caution to fellow owners. When you are getting EGR cleaning done-- do get it done by removing the ECU panel and examine it.

I havn't yet worked uploading pictures (Wife's the techie ) but originally when I'd removed the panel, at about 18 months and some 16k kms- the ECU came away from the panel in my hands-- it was thoroughly rusted through (the part where the ECU is bolted)--- wouldn't be surprised if this was not the root cause of that swift that caught fire----.

Havn't come across any one else with this but a good friend of mine tells me that it was a common problem with the Esteems.

A new panel only costs some 300rps-- but if anyone needs to replace it make sure that you put a thick film of silicone where the Ecu is attached and then take a longer piece of Earthing wire and bolt it to the Wing panel bolt.
Old 18th February 2011, 10:25   #1731
BHPian

Dear Jaggu & Swift owners,
This is my first post on Tbhp. I own a swift Ldi which is 19 months old and has done around 23k. I am facing a peculiar problem with my car ever since the 2nd free service (5k). There is a whistling sound from the centre console and/or the left ORVM assembly whenever the car move fast - say above 70kmph.

I did my best to find out where exactly the sound is coming from with the help of co-passengers but no success so far. I took it to MASS couple of times and first time they said it is a problem with left ORVM assembly and fixed it. But problem reappeared within a week. Second time they said it is a common issue with Swift D and it is the sound of air rushing past ORVM - but I am not convinced.

Following are my obervations on this issue:
1. Sound is very less or disappears during cool climate or monsoons.
2. Sound gets worse during hot wheather or when the car is parked under the sun. In such cases the sound can be heard even when travelling at 50kmph.
3. Unable to pin point where exactly the sound is coming from. It is either Left ORVM or centre console or both.
4. Tried driving with both ORVM's folded - but sound is still there.

Apart from this issue and some minor rattles, no major problems so far and I love this car.

Appreciate your help/guidance on this issue
Old 18th February 2011, 12:26   #1732
BHPian

Re: 50,000 kms update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

Is EGR cleaning recommended?

Yes! if not at 30k kms atleast get it done by around 40-50k kms. You will not regret it. MUL has mentioned in the manual for a reason i guess.
Jaggu, I had got the EGR cleaned but failed to notice any improvement in pick-up.
I suspect that that MASS have not done the job, but billed me anyway.
Is there any sure way to find out if they have really done the job.
Old 18th February 2011, 13:28   #1733
Team-BHP Support

^^^Inspect the EGR valve bolts, that will give you an indication.

@DieselLover: Check if your air recirculation flap is closing completely. If not you will get this sound. ie if a twig or something is stuck in between. Also check if all the rubber grommets in and around the area are intact.

Sounds definitely like an air leak.
Old 19th February 2011, 20:22   #1734
BHPian

Quote:
^^^Inspect the EGR valve bolts, that will give you an indication.

@DieselLover: Check if your air recirculation flap is closing completely. If not you will get this sound. ie if a twig or something is stuck in between. Also check if all the rubber grommets in and around the area are intact.

Sounds definitely like an air leak.
Thanks Jaggu. Can we check air recirculation flap of Swift D or do we need to take it to MASS?
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:10   #1735
Team-BHP Support

If you remove the dash fan assembly you can check the recirculation flap. In my case i had paper stuck between thanks to rats!

I had posted the pictorial of fan removal somewhere in here.
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:44   #1736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you remove the dash fan assembly you can check the recirculation flap. In my case i had paper stuck between thanks to rats
Imagine the service station charging you 150 rs for something you can do in few minutes.

Jaggu's post is very detailed giving instructions to remove the glove box, unscrew the fan and clean the same.

Only thing you need is some good lighting and ability to bend a little more than what we do now
Old 22nd February 2011, 17:06   #1737
BHPian

Folks - Am approaching 28k kms and my car is due for service in sometime. Please let me know what all i need to get done. I have been doing an oil change every 5k along with balancing and alignment. I have some issues with the horn, wipers and rattles.

Is EGR recommended?

Thanks.
Old 22nd February 2011, 17:38   #1738
BHPian

Quote:
Ok small correction 600 + the clamp 200 Rs makes it 800 bucks.

Well a smoother engine can result in smoother gear shift, but it can be placebo effect or due to running in also
That's dirt cheap. I was charged approx Rs 1400 for the same. I even fought over the removal of wiper piece and Maruti and MASS confirmed that this is the normal process for cleaning EGR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
Jaggu, I had got the EGR cleaned but failed to notice any improvement in pick-up.
I suspect that that MASS have not done the job, but billed me anyway.
Is there any sure way to find out if they have really done the job.
+1. I did the EGR cleaning at 30K. Didn't notice any substantial change in vehicle characteristic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Dear Jaggu & Swift owners,
This is my first post on Tbhp. I own a swift Ldi which is 19 months old and has done around 23k. I am facing a peculiar problem with my car ever since the 2nd free service (5k). There is a whistling sound from the centre console and/or the left ORVM assembly whenever the car move fast - say above 70kmph.

I did my best to find out where exactly the sound is coming from with the help of co-passengers but no success so far. I took it to MASS couple of times and first time they said it is a problem with left ORVM assembly and fixed it. But problem reappeared within a week. Second time they said it is a common issue with Swift D and it is the sound of air rushing past ORVM - but I am not convinced.
It can be the OVRM or to be exact the plastic piece that connects the OVRM to the door. Hence when you close the OVRM the sound is still there bcos it is of the base plastic.
A fellow BHPian Humyum has that exact same issue and has tried everything but to no avail . His solution is to keep the music at high volume

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Folks - Am approaching 28k kms and my car is due for service in sometime. Please let me know what all i need to get done. I have been doing an oil change every 5k along with balancing and alignment. I have some issues with the horn, wipers and rattles.

Is EGR recommended?

Thanks.
The usual suspects i.e. Oil Change, Oil Filter Change apart from the basic checks and suspension re-torque. As you have been doing Oil Changes every 5K, I don't believe even an engine flush is required.
Do note that you don't have to do a fuel filter change (This was recommended to me at 30K. I told them to check the maintenance sheet as the same is to be replaced every 20K Kms)

Cant think of anything else.

Last edited by f1fan : 22nd February 2011 at 17:52.
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:23   #1739
BHPian

Thanks Jaggu. Took it to MASS on sunday as they were offering a free A/C check up. Ruled out recirculation flap issue and cleaned the fan. But I am planning to dig out your thread on fan removal and verify it myself.

@f1fan,
plastic piece connecting ORVM to the door is a suspect. What worries me is sometimes the sound is coming from somewhere near the centre console area. Need to check all rubber parts and confirm.
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:56   #1740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
But I am planning to dig out your thread on fan removal and verify it myself.
Here you go - this is the post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks