Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2007, 01:36   #91
BHPian

FRIENDS, another problem i am facing in swift vdi is engaging the reverse gear.I have to put a fwd gear,move the car bit forward and only afterwards the reverse gears engages.I told the service center guys on second service he engaged it and it was done in first go,then i told him sometimes it doesn't, he said kabhi kabhi aisa ho jaata hai,And i know it's not a kabhi kabhi sort of problem,i mean it looks very odd,person sitting next to driver seats feels like driver is tying to engage a truck's gear.Plz advice on this too.
Cheers!
Old 16th December 2007, 10:37   #92
BHPian

The above problem is with Santro also. Almost 70% of time while reversing, I have to take forward a bit and then reverse gear engages. Tried to service many times, the problem still remains.
Old 17th December 2007, 09:30   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
FRIENDS, another problem i am facing in swift vdi is engaging the reverse gear.I have to put a fwd gear,move the car bit forward and only afterwards the reverse gears engages.
Try engaging/disengaging the clutch a couple of times, it usually works. Did have this problem too but not sure if it's gone away or I've just learnt to live with it. On the whole, I agree it's not smooth at all.
Old 17th December 2007, 11:20   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
FRIENDS, another problem i am facing in swift vdi is engaging the reverse gear.I have to put a fwd gear,move the car bit forward and only afterwards the reverse gears engages.
My friend who owns a Zen (the old one, not Estilo) does the same thing. Initially i thought it was based on some religious belief or something.
Old 17th December 2007, 11:51   #95
BHPian

Quote:
FRIENDS, another problem i am facing in swift vdi is engaging the reverse gear.I have to put a fwd gear,move the car bit forward and only afterwards the reverse gears engages.I told the service center guys on second service he engaged it and it was done in first go,then i told him sometimes it doesn't, he said kabhi kabhi aisa ho jaata hai,And i know it's not a kabhi kabhi sort of problem,i mean it looks very odd,person sitting next to driver seats feels like driver is tying to engage a truck's gear.Plz advice on this too.
Cheers!
Even I face this issue with My WagonR as well as my brother's Baleno.It was the same case with the Nissan Sunny 2003 (Driving School's car) in which I have taken the training When I was in Abudhabi.
Old 17th December 2007, 13:34   #96
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

reverse gears are not synchromesh gears in most cars hence you have a problem of engaging it from time to time. If you face any problem in future try engaging to any forward gear and then try reverse (While the clutch is fully depressed).
Old 17th December 2007, 15:01   #97
Team-BHP Support

I also get this occasionally, but as per my exp almost all cars has this problem once in a while. Just engage first (with clutch) and then try reverse it slots in fine, otherwise just moving the car to the front in gear will sort.

Yes the frequency of this happening also has gone down with the car wearing in. Last time was some 2 months back

So be patient and let parts bed in proper, but if its like really hard and the phenomenon occurs every time you engage reverse, then you better consult the dealer.

Update from my side:

Did a weekend drive to Chennai, roads are good and could easily cruise at 120-130 KPH. Did couple of 150 + KPH also and the car felt slowly topping out, and yes 5th gear is the best to get this done in the D.

Chennai traffic is more chaotic than Bangalore inspite of having better roads and more cops lol, atleast 2 times stupid bikers came and banged into the car while stopped at signals and that too in the proper lane!! (thank god these landed in mud flaps and ORVM).

Autorick, Cabies and the Bus drivers, well i have no words for them, they are ready to play chicken with you at any given point of time, no matter how helpless you are.

Otherwise uneventful trip, got around 18.5 kpl with high speed running to Chennai, i guess it improved to 20 kpl or return since it was 100-120 kph at night.

Next trip is to the hills will update then i guess.
Old 18th December 2007, 23:42   #98
Senior - BHPian

Oh...Singara Chennai driving was a nightmare for me too. It was them cyclists who scared the hell out of me. I can live with the chaos in Bangalore, now that I am used to it.

Reverse gear is a problem sometimes, but engaging other gears(no moving the car0 and coming back to reverse always worked for me - well, if not the first time, then the next at least.
Old 19th December 2007, 01:04   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

It's a case of spinning the cogs in the box, giving them another chance to find a place where they'll engage easily
Old 19th December 2007, 08:38   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
...Did a weekend drive to Chennai, roads are good and could easily cruise at 120-130 KPH ...
Jaggu, Isn't that such a nice road to drive on, lots of high speed sections. Really appreciate the way it's been maintained, I think it's almost 4 years since this GQ section has been completed.

The 340 odd kilo metres goes by in no time and you don't even feel any strain. Goes to show what good roads can do to the 'motoring experience'.
Old 19th December 2007, 11:13   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufRoc View Post
Jaggu, Isn't that such a nice road to drive on, lots of high speed sections. Really appreciate the way it's been maintained, I think it's almost 4 years since this GQ section has been completed.

The 340 odd kilo metres goes by in no time and you don't even feel any strain. Goes to show what good roads can do to the 'motoring experience'.
Yup they have kept it pretty well, could see people cleaning the edges while on the drive to chennai, though the same cannot be said about road users. While coming back i had a tough time with all the local travellers waiting in the road (front of barriers) for the local buses.

Every jn was scary and i had to cut down speed considerably and it was really tiresome.

I somehow didnt like the reflective lane marking thingies (those small square things) it somehow creates a disco trance affect, would have been comfortable with the plane ol road markings instead.

The situation is aggravated with no proper street lights on these section with reflective markings thingies.
Old 19th December 2007, 11:47   #102
Senior - BHPian

Maybe its the KA regn effect.
Old 19th December 2007, 13:09   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Maybe its the KA regn effect.
You will NOT come near my car.. never ever

But seriously nitrous, how do you guys manage?
Old 19th December 2007, 13:31   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I somehow didnt like the reflective lane marking thingies (those small square things) it somehow creates a disco trance affect, would have been comfortable with the plane ol road markings instead.

The situation is aggravated with no proper street lights on these section with reflective markings thingies.
Probably, but then you're supposed to switch off your head lights on those sections (with those reflective thingies) and imagine your in a cockpit on your very own runway, a little bit of trance playing on the side and that would be the perfect recipe for take off. well, that's just on the lighter side. But I suppose, you did it during the day. At night, it transforms itself into a high speed race track. well, I think I've smoked a little too much of that stuff, so no more posting on team-bhp for today .

Actually, was trying to compare it with the other sections of the GQ (which are yet to be completed)
Old 19th December 2007, 14:58   #105
Team-BHP Support

lol rufroc, i was talking about night only, the markings blocks are not very good without street lights, i would prefer plane ol semi reflecting road markings anyday.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks