Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2021, 10:26   #1591
BHPian

Re: makeover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
My Grand Vitara completed 14 years and 150,000kms as of this month.
Wow, your car really does not look 10 years old! Amazing job of maintaining it

Quote:
Last November a horny bull T-boned into the passenger door when his lady-love scooted. Attachment 2238483
Ah, the good old days when Maruti actually gave a damn about build quality. If you were driving a newer Maruti model, you'd probably be looking at a door replacement
TheGearBox is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 11:04   #1592
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
Ah, the good old days when Maruti actually gave a damn about build quality.
Actually, it is not a Maruti. It is a pure Suzuki. Grand Vitara is only made in Japan and exported everywhere. That explains the build quality. Besides, it was the beam within the door that absorbed most of the impact.

It is not like I have coddled this car. My friends and family know I how I drive it on bad roads, like they are good roads. And I have been driving like since the day it was delivered.

A quote from the day of delivery.
Quote:
Nov 3rd:.... The drive out of Mangalore was terrible, the roads were under repair or new construction. Basically it was SUV territory, soon we were running circles around other trucks and cars that were negotiating the roads. It was night when we reached home.
And on the first weekend of purchase, I did this:

And this is how I drive on bad roads, which I encounter plenty of, during my two times a month trip between Bangalore and Udupi. Here is a sample from electronic city road.

There were adventures like this in the first year.

Sometimes it was successful.

Sometimes it wasn't...

However, even when it had 132,000 on the odometer (in 2019), it could rescue damsels in distress...

Samurai is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 13:51   #1593
BHPian

re: The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP

Samurai you've really maintained your car well. It's so hard for me to let go off my Grand Vitara 2.0 with just 1.15 lakhs on the odometer. I have to replace just because of the idiotic NGT 15 year rule.
Anyways you inspired me. Here are some pictures of my Grand Vitara 2.0 taken a week back when it completed 14 years on 17th Nov 2021.
Attached Thumbnails
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-img_8538.jpg  

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-img_8540.jpg  

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-img_8545.jpg  

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-img_8546.jpg  

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-img_8547.jpg  

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-img_8548.jpg  

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-img_8550.jpg  

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-img_8551.jpg  

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-img_8552.jpg  

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-img_8556.jpg  

Last edited by vb-saan : 30th November 2021 at 13:14. Reason: typo
Styler is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 14:08   #1594
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
I have to replace just because of the idiotic NGT 15 year rule.
Anyways you inspired me. Here are some pictures of my Grand Vitara 2.0 taken a week back when it completed 14 years on 17th Nov 2021.
Your GV looks newer than mine, in fact it appears to be fully stock unlike mine.

1) Is that the original fabric seat cover? I have no recollection of it, since I put art-leather seat cover upon delivery.
2) Your HU is also OE, I replaced it in 2014.
3) I see you are still on 225 width tyres, I jumped to 235 back in 2010, after which I can't use the spare tyre cover.
4) Finally, you must be still on original suspension. Mine had to be replaced back in 2017 with OME suspension, after all the battering it had taken.

It is truly sad that an unscientific NGT regulation is forcing 15 year petrol cars to retire despite being in such good condition.
Samurai is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 14:45   #1595
BHPian

Quote:
Your GV looks newer than mine, in fact it appears to be fully stock unlike mine.

1) Is that the original fabric seat cover? I have no recollection of it, since I put art-leather seat cover upon delivery.
2) Your HU is also OE, I replaced it in 2014.
3) I see you are still on 225 width tyres, I jumped to 235 back in 2010, after which I can't use the spare tyre cover.
4) Finally, you must be still on original suspension. Mine had to be replaced back in 2017 with OME suspension, after all the battering it had taken.

It is truly sad that an unscientific NGT regulation is forcing 15 year petrol cars to retire despite being in such good condition.
Samurai actually when I got the Grand Vitara 2.0L in 2007 it was in pretty bad shape. I got good pleasure getting it to this state.

1. I got these Velvet Seat Covers with side panels done in 2007 from an old seat maker.

2. Yes the HU in this is OEM. I had just added an Aux Port and fixed a Tantra Bluetooth to it. I could connect my phone through bluetooth, and play all music off my phone on the Car Speakers, and also take calls on the Car Speakers. That worked well.

Now in the Grand Vitara 2.4 I am getting a 9" Android 10 HU installed in a proper Grand Vitara Frame. It will bulge out a little but I will get a whole host of features including Wireless Apple Car Play and Android Auto.

3. I am on exactly the same tires that you just bought - Yokohama Geolander AT 235/70/16 which have done around 25K kms. These are very good tires.

4. I just got the basic suspension parts changed with OEMs - Shockers, Link rods and lower arms.

Now I'm at it again working to get the Grand Vitara 2.4 to my level.

Styler
Styler is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 17:41   #1596
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The rear view camera finally has some decent image. We tried to get the camera installed in an angle. But the options were limited, it is slightly angled, that's about it. I didn't expect it to have guidelines, it is not mentioned in the Blaupunkt DH 2.1 specs, but there are guidelines present in the video.
The guideline is provided by the HU and not camera. You can tweak the guideline in the settings of the HU
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 18:16   #1597
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The guideline is provided by the HU and not camera. You can tweak the guideline in the settings of the HU
Oh, I didn't expect that. The Blaupunkt DH 06 has built-in guidelines, so I was surprised to see it in 2.1 itself. I need to spend some time setting up the HU. Right now I have just setup the BT and android auto.
Old 30th November 2021, 09:28   #1598
BHPian

Loved the thread, congratulations on completing 14 years with this beauty. In the age of wannabe SUVs this is one true blue SUV. I spotted one a few weeks back while walking in BDA Complex, HSR Layout (not sure if it was yours) and my mind was blown. I thought it was some new car competing with Creta/Seltos, but it was the Grand Vitara and what a masterpiece!

Loved the symmetrical overhang and the lines, really pleasing to eyes. I would have considered this today than any of the CSUVs/SUVs selling today.

Wish you many more happy miles.
hdman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 09:44   #1599
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How does a 14 year car with 150,000kms looks today? Not bad at all...
Not bad at all!!

I was in search of a GV few months back, and found that these vehicles are hard to go bad. Even with terrible maintenance, these vehicles run well. Only problem was parts availability.

I can only imagine how new your car would be with proper maintenance. Congratulations for another few years of trouble free ownership!
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 09:51   #1600
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How does a 14 year car with 150,000kms looks today?
Classy!

Has aged well and maintained well too. Such clean lines. Really sucks they don’t have designs like these anymore. Thank God, we don’t have the stupid NGT laws here!

Wish you many miles with the GV Samu! Let her serve you well for years to come.
Gannu_1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 10:39   #1601
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How does a 14 year car with 150,000kms looks today? Not bad at all...
Wow! The car looks great, Samurai! Looks almost new, and very classy.

This is one of my favorite cars (and the car I regret not getting a chance to own). Very classy, proportionate, timeless design. Very capable both on and off the road. And comes with the reliability of a good Japanese engineering. This is a perfect car. Even today there are not many cars better than this.

Your car is of course so well maintained. And thank you for keeping this thread updated too. Your thread is a good inspiration to many of us who are holding on to our older cars which we love for what they offer, and offered over time.
Dr.AD is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 11:50   #1602
RJM
BHPian

Vitara is a very reliable car but somehow didn't do well in India, as a package cant fault it. it has proper 4x4 system in it which can handle off-road with ease. These cars do 400000km + without breaking sweat, I own one and with a simple age less design coupled with ample room and cargo space, this one is hard to beat even today!

Last edited by Samurai : 30th November 2021 at 12:12. Reason: typo fixed
RJM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 11:54   #1603
BHPian

Indeed GV has timeless, understated and elegant but truly SUV design. Kudos to Samurai for maintaining his steed so well while he hasn't really treated it with kid gloves actually. Truly Japanese wonder!
fawad0222 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 12:14   #1604
BHPian

Funny anecdote from uniformed life ;
I was posted in RJ border side and weekly we had a flag meet between the border side commanding officers with our neighbors, year on year they saw us move from a Jhonga to Willy's to MM540's to Scorpios and to Safaris (those were last I sat in) when all they ended up were used Chinese and Siberian bangers which only made noise and threw smoke, there have been numerous occasions when neighbors turned up late as their vehicle gave up in midst. Come the early 2000's someone from their side said enough is enough and went shopping for a desert vehicle and ended up Vitara's from Thai Army. One of the days the neighbors thought wise to showoff their new baby to us and their CO went all guns about how amazing this vehicle was compared to our indigenous ones in all terms, the rant went for over 20 mins with lots of smiling and bragging till a Havildar (then the lowest ranked in the meeting tent) from our side said "Janaab woh saab to theek hain paar parcham (flag in urdu) to aapne desh ka daalte", on close see it was noticed original flag of the Thai Army was still swaying over the bonnet from one side
tatafanatic is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 12:42   #1605
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Only problem was parts availability.
So far parts are easily available from MSIL. Since it was sold in good numbers worldwide, I think they will continue to make parts for another 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJM View Post
Vitara is a very reliable car but somehow didn't do well in India, as a package cant fault it.
There were couple simple reasons: (i) It is a petrol SUV in India (ii) Maruti simply didn't market it, and they didn't know how to sell a premium car without harping on FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatafanatic View Post
Come the early 2000's someone from their side said enough is enough and went shopping for a desert vehicle and ended up Vitara's from Thai Army.
Very interesting story, thanks for sharing. I guess that was a different generation of Grand Vitara.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks