Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2018, 19:43   #1351
Senior - BHPian

re: The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP [14 years & 150000kms]

Me too don't want to make it any more boring than what it already is being an AT. It was more of an effort in trying to find out how different are our GVs than the ones sold worldwide.
Old 19th December 2018, 18:23   #1352
Team-BHP Support

So..... both my remote keys had stopped working over the last 2-3 years. Attempts by the local MASS had failed after couple of tries. So I had settled down to using it as manual key instead.

When the GV completed 11 years last month, I had commented on FB that other than the remote keys, everything in my GV is working fine. That comment led to discussing the options, and a BHPian (Ananth Kamath) offered to buy an after market remote from eBay.com and ship it to me from USA. After some extensive research, I told him buy and ship this item. The total cost including shipping came to $65.

Once the item arrived, I tried to program the remote as mentioned here. But it simply failed to work. Ananth contacted the seller and they asked for FCC Id of the original remote. Since the key has no FCC ID on it, we ended up at an impasse. Even the battery was at full charge. So I had kind of given up on it.

However, I decided to try a last ditch effort. I opened the original key fob to see whether I can see any FCC ID. There was none. I got really frustrated... but I thought let me go the whole 9 yards before giving up totally. I replaced the battery on both the old remotes, and reprogrammed it. Suddenly, one of the keys responded when I pressed unlock to program it. In fact, both did... sort of. One key could lock, not unlock. The other key could unlock, but not lock.

I rushed back to my desk and re-opened the keys. This time I opened the part where the rubber button presses the contacts on the PCB. I noticed that they were misaligned in both the keys. In fact, one key had only 1 contact, the other had 3. Some mechanic who worked on it last, had done a mistake. After carefully restoring the contacts to right places and taping them to hold fast, one of the remote key started working fine. The other could only unlock, but not lock. I opened that key again, and scraped all the contact surfaces to remove any dust, and put it together again.

Voila! Both remotes are working fine again!

Spending $65 on a replacement remote pushed me to do DIY repair on the original remotes and get it working.
Samurai is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 19:14   #1353
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice that you got it working now. Now a 11 year old car where everything works?
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 19:38   #1354
Team-BHP Support

Yup, everything works now. That's a great feeling in such an old car. I have never kept a car this long.
Old 23rd December 2018, 16:10   #1355
Senior - BHPian

Once again just to confirm that the Maruti Suzuki Desire rear door stops will fit the GV. I got two of them fitted today and they work just fine. No difference in the door movement.
Part no. 81810 M 75J03, MRP 120.00.
wanderernomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2018, 09:22   #1356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Voila! Both remotes are working fine again!

Spending $65 on a replacement remote pushed me to do DIY repair on the original remotes and get it working.
Hi Samurai,

The 2 Remotes of the Grand Vitara were not working when I got it in 2017.
I put in new batteries but still buttons would work erratically. One button on each remote was not working at all.

I got ideas to fix the Remote buttons from this video :

The small buttons get dislodged from their place. You need to just clean the contacts, move the buttons to the right place and cover with tape.

This was the first DIY I did on my Grand Vitara. The buttons on both remotes are working perfectly ever since.
I am putting the Youtube Video for the benefit and reference of others.

Styler.

Last edited by Samurai : 24th December 2018 at 09:44. Reason: Avoid quoting the whole post
Styler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2018, 09:43   #1357
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
The small buttons get dislodged from their place. You need to just clean the contacts, move the buttons to the right place and cover with tape.
Yes, this is exactly what I did, but without any help from videos. I just used logical deduction to reach the bottom of it. Yes, I needed $65 loss to prod me into that action.

Now I have a new problem. I can barely remember I have a working remote now. I still use the key manually to lock/unlock 3 out of 4 times, out of habit.
Old 25th December 2018, 17:23   #1358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Guys anyone using BOSCH Irridium plugs? What is the code for the same? On Amazon it says BOSCH 9603 will fit but it has a gap of 0.6mm and will fit the 2.7 V6 GV. No other engine option is available so cannot check.
I am using NGK Iridium spark plugs in my 2.4 GV. The NGK part number is SILFR6A11.
kamal.sn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 01:39   #1359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yup, everything works now. That's a great feeling in such an old car. I have never kept a car this long.
Would love to see some pictures if you have time! Your GV thread was one of the reasons I signed up to this forum all those years ago
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 18:37   #1360
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Would love to see some pictures if you have time! Your GV thread was one of the reasons I signed up to this forum all those years ago
OK, you inspired me to take some pics of GV after a long time. These are from today, in my office campus. This is the same place where this event occurred almost 11 years ago. All the thick woods you see now were non-existent then. Click and see in full size.

The entire greenery on the left side of the car was the scene of action in the that thread.
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-pc260015.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-pc260001.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-pc260012.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-pc260013.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-pc260016.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-pc260019.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-pc260020.jpg
Samurai is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 11:39   #1361
Distinguished - BHPian

As always, the car looks real stock. Congratulations on your upkeep.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 15:51   #1362
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
OK, you inspired me to take some pics of GV after a long time. These are from today, in my office campus. This is the same place where this event occurred almost 11 years ago. All the thick woods you see now were non-existent then. Click and see in full size.....
Looking almost as if you are reviewing a new car before launch.
Old 27th December 2018, 17:22   #1363
BHPian

It has been almost 3.5 Years since I got the Grand Vitara.

And a big thanks to Sudev and Samurai for their wonderful threads that made me take the leap.

The last few months have been hectic on the upkeep front:
Inside out spa treatment, cotton seat covers, HID upgrades for the low beams and finally got the suspension parts changed.

When I had last reported order for 1 front and rear spring was pending. We then spoke to the regional spares manager of Maruti. A couple of phone calls from him sorted out the whole issue. It turned out to be a software issue. They manually allocated the parts and I got them a week later. They turned out to be 2014 import items.

I got the parts, along with 30mm lift spacers, changed at my neighborhood MASS. I will post a detailed report in a couple of days.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 20:44   #1364
BHPian

Hi All

Just a quick question. What is the recommended Power Steering Fluid to use in the Grand Vitara.

Recently when we noticed that the Power Steering Oil was dirty. Today we flushed and filled with Castrol Transpower TQ Power Steering and Automatic Transmission oil.

When i read the specifications today On the Castrol Transpower TQ Oil Bottle it says it is Type A Suffix A compliant oil.
The Manual recommends a Dexron 2 or Dexron 3 oil.

Any recommendations ?

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 28th December 2018 at 20:46.
Old 28th December 2018, 21:16   #1365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So..... both my remote keys had stopped working over the last 2-3 years. Attempts by the local MASS had failed after couple of tries. So I had settled down to using it as manual key instead.
===
Little late here but I had same issue when I picked the car up. Did a diy clean up and fix, and the key fob that was misbehaving works normal. Recently the mint unused one was not working, got the battery replaced at service and it’s normal now.

Most often it’s the battery or terminals in remotes. Car, TV and such. Lil bit of patience and DIY works. By the way battery model is CR 1620, 3 volt for reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Hi All

Just a quick question. What is the recommended Power Steering Fluid to use in the Grand Vitara.

Styler
Don’t use mismatched grade will spoil the oil seals. My car is not here with me and manual is inside the car. Will post tomorrow.

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th December 2018 at 21:23.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed