Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2012, 14:25   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Problem with AC - Fiat palio stile 1.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Could be a connector inside the car which got messed up. Just check if all are snug.

If not then may be the clutch is playing up. Remove the connection to the AC clutch, and connect to the battery with a wire. It should click. If yes, then check the power coming to it, whether you get 12V on it or not. This is the most likely culprit.
Check all the connectors behind dash, everything is fine. Regarding the AC clutch have to take it to some garage as its in really In accessible place under the bonnet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateek_ch View Post
I agree, it is most likely a loose contact somewhere considering the fact that this happened only after the 3M interior cleaning. The vacuum pipe could have dislodged some wires below the glove box where the connections generally are.
Check all the connectors behind dash nothing seems to loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Get it checked at the *** or some good mechanic. Most likely it's a simple loose contact somewhere. Don't worry too much, it's just the AC
Ya thinking about going, today i guess most of the places will be closed. I know man its just AC but in chennai you cant drive even 100 mtrs without AC :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Rahul - use a thin screw driver to open the facia of the dash and plug the connector behind the AC panel switch properly.

I have a similar problem in the GTX, but it is the fog light switch. Chillax, not a biggie issue.
Thanks for the suggestion, after couple of minutes of messing around, i was able to take out the facia but all connectors are fine there. On the plus side cleaned the AC vents. There was lot of dirt and grim there.

Edit - also noticed that even while car was parked the compressor engaged for 2-3 secs and then turned off. It happenes randomly if the ac is kept switched on for sometime.

Got my red hot hatch, Fiat Palio Stile 1.6 Sport. EDIT: Now sold at 48,000 kms-7131170147_fc53d53285_z.jpg

Got my red hot hatch, Fiat Palio Stile 1.6 Sport. EDIT: Now sold at 48,000 kms-357555002.762775.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 7th May 2012 at 12:20. Reason: Correcting one picture
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:50   #182
Senior - BHPian

re: Got my red hot hatch, Fiat Palio Stile 1.6 Sport. EDIT: Now sold at 48,000 kms

Rahul - any updates? is the AC working properly now?

In other news, the Fog Lamp relay continues to work randomly.
Good News: (you must be knowing) - Messed up the rear door lock, while 'I' was trying to fix it by myself

Take care.
Old 3rd May 2012, 18:25   #183
Senior - BHPian

re: Got my red hot hatch, Fiat Palio Stile 1.6 Sport. EDIT: Now sold at 48,000 kms

Quote:
Rahul - any updates? is the AC working properly now?

In other news, the Fog Lamp relay continues to work randomly.
Good News: (you must be knowing) - Messed up the rear door lock, while 'I' was trying to fix it by myself

Take care.
No man, havent got time to get it checked. Went to TASS couple of days back and waited for 45mins and after that they told to wait another 1 hours to get it tested, left the place as had some work.
I am planning to take it to some other garage this weekend but not sure which one :-/

Ya i read about that locking incident hehe, don't worry mostly DIYs goes wrong
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 15:56   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Ya i read about that locking incident hehe, don't worry mostly DIYs goes wrong
it was really funny. when i opened the panel for the first time, only the entral locking for the LHS rear door was not working (i could lock / unlock manually) and then i opened it again for the second time and "khattack" the rod connecting the lock lever and lock came off, making it impossible to lock / unlock from inside / outside. on top of it, i shut the door in locked mode

yes, most of MY DIYs goes wrong.
planet_rocker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 22:29   #185
Senior - BHPian

Well i got a lame reply from tata today.

"We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

I have been calling to your mobile for past 1 week, but couldn’t reach you.

Please call me in my mobile number (xxxxxxxxxx), so that I can arrange for rectifying your vehicle problems

We assure you our best services"

My no is well and active for past one week. I don't know where they have been calling.

Anyways the best part is when i replied the mail, there were some people from FIAT on CC and it seems they have blocked my email id. I have received mailer daemon for those ids. Its a new low for FIAT service, if you can't reply to a customer just block his email id lol . If this is their attitude towards service, i am 100% sure FIAT India will have to shut shop in India and leave.
Old 10th May 2012, 11:30   #186
Senior - BHPian

Rahul - i read on PUG that TATA ASC in Chennai are not accepting any FIAT vehicles. May be that is why, they are 'avoiding' your Palio.

In the mean time, you can get in touch with 'Bootlee' and ask him to point you to ignite or get in touch with vijaycool at chennai.

Quote:
If this is their attitude towards service, i am 100% sure FIAT India will have to shut shop in India and leave.
Also heard that FIAT has opened a proper FIAT ASC at Hyderabad, or was it at Chennai?? can someone please confirm.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 10th May 2012 at 11:36.
Old 10th May 2012, 11:55   #187
BHPian

Sorry for replying late, was out of town and the sytem would give html error while submitting. Finally resolved.

Quote:
Check the lambda sensor - best way to check is to do a PU check done - compare with the previous report. get the timing checked by someone used to Palios - i guess you must be aware that the 1.6 has an interference type engine.
What is PU check, haven't seen my mechanic use laptop or report. Please explain

Quote:
go to a reliable mechanic and get the clutch checked. replace if required. check the rear brakes / hand brake play.
100kph at 3k rpm is ok. no point in overtaking a vehicle while you are in 4th / 5th gear in your GTX. these two are overdrives unlike in the S10.
The first issue is having a reliable mechanic . Clutch was replaced at 36000 KMS and have been having problems since then. Rear brakes and hand brake are working fine. I am not lighted footed, but there is loss of power. Stuggled to overtake a Chev Beat today with 3 passenger and I being alone

Quote:
did you use the correct grade of engine oil (wurth)? is the car idling at 850 +/- 50 rpm? 1.6s run better on mineral oil - at best you can use semi-synthetic. change the mineral oil every 5000kms or once a year.
Mechanic says its mineral and correct grade for palios. He is been using the same for all other palios as well. The idling settles to 850 RPM after 2-3 mins in the morning and remains there. On a very hot day with AC on, its around 950-1000 RPM.

Quote:
may be it is time to change the power steering lubricant. also check for correct tyre pressure. what is the tyre spec'? are you running on 175-65 R14?
Did this, but still no improvement. The steering feels sticky as it doesn't turn back. I run in 185-65-R14 Michelin with nitrogen at 32.

Quote:
at speeds above 100kph? if yes, let the brakes bed in properly and check again. make sure the stretch is empty. play safe.
No, the vibration is there even at 50 KPH. I don't feel the vibration if I brake suddenly, but its very evident I apply the brake gradually. The brake pad and disc were replaced at 36000 KMS and the problem started at 38000 KMS. I think the mechanic has not used correct spec/quality brake pads/discs.. I did bed in the brakes couple for times, but the problem still continues.

Regards
Old 10th May 2012, 12:20   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
What is PU check, haven't seen my mechanic use laptop or report. Please explain
Pollution Under Control report - compare with the readings of the earlier report.

Quote:
I am not lighted footed, but there is loss of power. Stuggled to overtake a Chev Beat today with 3 passenger and I being alone
does the injector glow at times when you drive? what about the coil pack? i still feel that the problem points to the clutch, may be gear oil is leaking on to the clutch plate! does the rpm go up more than the speed in any gear? can you check for signs of gear box oil leak around the Gear Box (GB)? you may have to bend down and check.

Quote:
Mechanic says its mineral and correct grade for palios. He is been using the same for all other palios as well. The idling settles to 850 RPM after 2-3 mins in the morning and remains there. On a very hot day with AC on, its around 950-1000 RPM.
850 +/- 50 is normal without load. with AC, it stays at 950. normal.

Quote:
Did this, but still no improvement. The steering feels sticky as it doesn't turn back. I run in 185-65-R14 Michelin with nitrogen at 32.
1. check if anything is fouling inside the cabin near the steering rod near the pedals.
2. is the steering wheel / leather fouling with the plastic cover behind it (area which houses the combination switches - wiper & lights)
3. the tyre spec is fine and will not cause this. can you check the steering lube level? was it bled properly when the lubricant was changed? one needs to turn the steering wheel left and right while bleeding the lubricant.
4. 32 - isnt that on a higher side? may be you should stick to 29/30.

Quote:
No, the vibration is there even at 50 KPH. I don't feel the vibration if I brake suddenly, but its very evident I apply the brake gradually. The brake pad and disc were replaced at 36000 KMS and the problem started at 38000 KMS. I think the mechanic has not used correct spec/quality brake pads/discs.. I did bed in the brakes couple for times, but the problem still continues.
you may have to get it checked again. rotate the alloy wheels front-back, and check.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 10th May 2012 at 12:24.
Old 10th May 2012, 14:48   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rahul - i read on PUG that TATA ASC in Chennai are not accepting any FIAT vehicles. May be that is why, they are 'avoiding' your Palio.

In the mean time, you can get in touch with 'Bootlee' and ask him to point you to ignite or get in touch with vijaycool at chennai.

Also heard that FIAT has opened a proper FIAT ASC at Hyderabad, or was it at Chennai?? can someone please confirm.
Ohh i didn't knew that :-/ but why only in chennai ? It should have been done all cities right if Fiat is moving out ? ya i am planning to take it to ignite, that place is way to far so the delay.

AFAIR it was opened in hyderabad.
Old 10th May 2012, 14:51   #190
Senior - BHPian

Rahul - you are right. read it on motoroids> opened in Hyderabad.
What i meant was, read that couple of owners cars were not accepted in chennai. may be the rule applies pan India.

Take care.
Old 15th May 2012, 15:59   #191
Senior - BHPian

Another update to this ordeal

below is the mail, losers at tata service have send me

"

Dear Sir / Madam,

Greetings from VST Motors!!

We regret the inconvenience caused to you

Please refer the discussion we had with you today in our workshop.

And You were visited our workshop the spares available also confirmed to you. But it will not come under warranty.

We have explained to you but you won’t accept to do the paid service and you didn’t gave the approval to do the work.

We once again regret the inconvenience caused to you.

Pls do contact the undersigned for any support

We assure you our best services always.

xxxxxx xxxxxxx

CRM-VST SERVICE STATION,

Mt.Road.

"

I have not visited the service center today, i have not talked to this person even on phone regarding this. This mail has been send keeping all persons in CC whom i have been communicating with regarding the problem.

For the problem i have given this person contact no by tata motors few days back. But i have booked a appointment for the problem, which is on 21st. I have replied this mail that all information is false and i have not visited the showroom.
Old 15th May 2012, 17:54   #192
Senior - BHPian

Rahul - this email exchanges will not help you.

need to know:

1. when the AC switches off on its own, does the AC green LED also switches off?
2. is the radiator fan switching on at speed 2 (ac on > radiator fan switches on at speed 1 > then at speed 2)?
Old 15th May 2012, 18:23   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rahul - this email exchanges will not help you.

need to know:

1. when the AC switches off on its own, does the AC green LED also switches off?
2. is the radiator fan switching on at speed 2 (ac on > radiator fan switches on at speed 1 > then at speed 2)?
I know man but this time i will not leave this matter untill there is some solution provided by tata/fiat. I am not at all comfortable taking the car to private service station, that will be my last resort if nothing works out.

When i switch on the AC, there green light comes on but nothing happens. No engine idle RPM speed increase, radiotor second speed fan does not come on, compressor does not switches on.

If the switch is kept on, sometimes randomly compressor switches on for 5-10 secs, then the engine idle speed increases and the radiator fan goes on second speed.

The AC green light is always on in the above condition and also the inside fan also runs in off mode. As happens when you switch on the AC while the fan is switched off.

PS: i called the service station and the explanation given to me was that mail was for someone else and send to me by mistake :-/

Last edited by Rahulkool : 15th May 2012 at 18:26.
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 18:45   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When i switch on the AC, there green light comes on but nothing happens. No engine idle RPM speed increase, radiotor second speed fan does not come on, compressor does not switches on.

The AC green light is always on in the above condition and also the inside fan also runs in off mode. As happens when you switch on the AC while the fan is switched off.
there seems to be a problem in between the AC switch and ac clutch at times.

IIRC there is a relay provided in the cabin fuse box - check the attached image, there is a AC relay if i am not wrong somewhere around the foglamp relay [12v]. check it. swap it with another relay [fog lamp / horn] and see if the ac works ok. if it does, buy a new relay with 4 pins & 12v. one of the 4 relays is an AC relay (image on the cover should help)

Got my red hot hatch, Fiat Palio Stile 1.6 Sport. EDIT: Now sold at 48,000 kms-img2012042200053.jpg

take care

Quote:
If the switch is kept on, sometimes randomly compressor switches on for 5-10 secs, then the engine idle speed increases and the radiator fan goes on second speed.
Absolutely normal - fan relays (2nos) are fine.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 15th May 2012 at 18:49.
Old 15th May 2012, 19:36   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Pollution Under Control report - compare with the readings of the earlier report.
Will get it done

Quote:
does the injector glow at times when you drive? what about the coil pack? i still feel that the problem points to the clutch, may be gear oil is leaking on to the clutch plate! does the rpm go up more than the speed in any gear? can you check for signs of gear box oil leak around the Gear Box (GB)? you may have to bend down and check.
The injector glow doesn't come on while driving. Even I feel the issue is with clutch as I dont believe the mechanic has done a good job on this. There is sign of any leak, its clean.

Quote:
1. check if anything is fouling inside the cabin near the steering rod near the pedals.
2. is the steering wheel / leather fouling with the plastic cover behind it (area which houses the combination switches - wiper & lights)
3. the tyre spec is fine and will not cause this. can you check the steering lube level? was it bled properly when the lubricant was changed? one needs to turn the steering wheel left and right while bleeding the lubricant.
4. 32 - isnt that on a higher side? may be you should stick to 29/30.
The steering issue is resolved (explained below). I 32 as I am buying stuff for my house construction and loading it in the car with 4 people usually. Otherwise always on 30.

Quote:
you may have to get it checked again. rotate the alloy wheels front-back, and check.
This problem also is half resloved (explained below).

There was some noise coming from the engine bay near the alternator on thursday. Suspecting it to be the bearing, took it to the mechanic and after driving with him for a while and going under the car, he confirmed that its the bearing and has to be changed.

He replaced the bearing and the alternator switch, in the process he had to remove the steering oil, right front wheel, brake rotor and other things. Once he put all together and we went for a test drive, the car was behaving very well. The steering was light and brake shudder has disappeared by half. The small explosion is also almost gone while driving.

He couldn't explain why and I am not complaining. Planning to have the left wheel and brakes also removed and put together again. Might reduced the shudder.

But still the power is not as before, working on it.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks