Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2012, 12:57   #196
BHPian

re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done EDIT: Accident, total loss and vehicle scrapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Actually, that post was a full toss inviting you out of your creeze and hit.
LOL

Quote:
BTW, can you try the Shell diesel (full tank) and check if improves the FE even further?
The Tucson is in the hiding now due to the stupid sun film ban. Feeling bad to remove the 3M film. Stripped the film on my other car and waiting for a miracle to happen once SC resumes in July.

I've been experimenting with different pumps but the fuel quality in Bangalore is consistently POOR. Shell diesel was atrociously expensive (Rs. 13 more/litre) here the last time I've filled and hence only filled a little. The vehicle felt a bit more peppier than normal brew but I could not find time to do any instrumentation to figure out actual differences. Will do that during my next outstation trip.
Old 20th June 2012, 11:19   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done EDIT: Accident, total loss and vehicle scrapped

OK, I tanked up again.
The ODO was 733 and Tucson consumed 66.5 liters so the last tank full yielded 11 kmpl. Highest ever for regular city usage so far.
(I know, I know, my Tucson is absolutely stock).

Could not go to Shell as it in not on my regular office route and it's also expensive by around 19 rupees/liter than regular!!! Filled in Hi-Speed-Diesel from Bharat Petroleum's company operated pump near RTO. HSD is Rs. 5 more than regular (@Rs.50). Let's see what figures I get with this.

Of late I have become extremely environment conscious and socially responsible - I use my 11 year old Suzuki Fiero to office daily and use the Tucson/laura only on weekends or when I have at least 1 more person travelling with me. So the next tank full FE update may take another month or so (unless weekend outing opportunity knocks).

Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2012, 15:54   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Tucson consumed 66.5 liters

I wish my Tucson could hold 10 litres more fuel as yours...IIRC, the max I could ever fill was 57 liters when the needle was almost kissing the empty line. Mine generally auto-cuts at around 50-52 and can take only a little more and that too after rocking and shaking the vehicle to prevent air pockets.

Those extra 10 liters could easily extend the range by 120-180 kms during long drives!!! I was always tempted to carry extra fuel from known-good pumps, but never did it due to practical difficulties...I'm stealing your fuel tank!!! ;-)
Old 20th June 2012, 16:38   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Mine generally auto-cuts at around 50-52 and can take only a little more and that too after rocking and shaking the vehicle to prevent air pockets.
Actually, from what I have seen, rocking and shaking does not help in case of the Tucson. After the auto cut-off, you need to continue the fill with the pump nozzle part-open with intermittent breaks. It will be nice if you can try this next time and confirm. I have been filling in anything more than 64L most of the times (I would like to risk driving on another 90 odd kms after the warning light and watch the 70 liter mark on the pump, one day).

I will lend you my fuel tank and you lend me your clutch assembly - for a couple of months.
Old 22nd June 2012, 08:13   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye; 2815228I
have been filling in anything more than 64L most of the times (I would like to risk driving on another 90 odd kms after the warning light and watch the 70 liter mark on the pump, one day).
Hi Anand,
Its great that you are able to fill 10 litres more. When my tuc was jacked up in the workshop, I was looking at the fuel tank inlet pipe. There is a joint midway that is held with a clamp. I was able to see some wet mud sticking to this. Probably there is a minor leak at this joint. I'm yet to check that after I tightened it last time.

Next time you put ur Tuc on a ramp, just make sure this joint is sealed well.

Last edited by K a s h : 22nd June 2012 at 08:14.
K a s h is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 13:16   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K a s h View Post
Next time you put ur Tuc on a ramp, just make sure this joint is sealed well.

Sure, thanks for the heads up.
Any picture?
Or is it very easily locatable?
Old 23rd June 2012, 09:09   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye

Sure, thanks for the heads up.
Any picture?
Or is it very easily locatable?
Just follow the fuel inlet pipe and you can easily locate it in the area under the rear passenger seat
K a s h is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2012, 13:06   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Tucson falls into a manhole and comes out unscathed!

One again, the Tucson had to face the dangers of the urban jungle...

Went to Mumbai and I was parking in the society parking area at around 11 PM and drove over a rectangular concrete manhole, and surprize surprize - the concrete cover broke down into pieces and with a loud cracking noise, the right front wheel completely sank into the chamber .

For a moment I did not realize what happened, and tried to revv forward, just for a couple of seconds, then realized the horror and switched off.

The right edge of the front bumper was almost touching the ground and the rear left tyre was almost off the ground! After a few seconds, I gathered myself and tried to check what part of the body the car was resting on - The right front mudguard had a 2/3 cm clearance, so did the bumper, the engine guard (a good solid one comes with the Tucson) also seemed to have half a centimeter clearance, so I guessed the front suspension lower arm was taking all the load...after almost a minute of mental shutdown, I remembered "the jack", pulled it out and placed it below the right front mouting point and started lifting - the screw just would not move! Called my cousins and neighbors and nobody knew what to do for a few minutes. While we were contemplating that some one should go and sit in the rear left seat adding weight to that corner so that I can rotate the jack at the opposite corner, one my cousins (who is well built) just grabbed the driver side roof edge near the A pillar with both hands and lifted the Tucson by a few good centimeters and "Jay Hanuman" - the jack could be operated with a relative ease and after a few initial rotations, my cousin could let go the vehicle and we could continue to rotate the jack - after around 5 minutes (everyone took their turn) and we lifted the right wheel to the highest point ever in my life - the jack screw almost ran out of it's length - but the tyre was almost to the ground level...

Now the next challenge was to put something below the wheel so that we could drive out...tried the manhole cover from another chamber - obviously we could not fix it in place as there wasn't enough space and we just could not trust the manhole covers anymore...another cousin went looking around and came back with mighty steel rods (similar to the ones that go into the pillar concrete) from a nearby construction site. One look at those and everyone was convinced that they will bear the vehicle weight. We started placing them below the front tyre - across, a bright friend asked me to jump into the driver's seat and steer to the left (while Tucson was still on the jack - another first for me), I did just that and we created just enough space to place the rods - we actually took a hammer and smashed one end of the rods into the ground surface. With two of them placed tight below the tyre, we slowly jacked down, and cautiously removed the jack, I jumped in, started the car and steered to the extreme left and we were OUT!!!

What an experience!

Now the next fear was the damage to the lower arm or any other part - as I maneuvered in the parking area, there were no untoward noises or vibrations, decided to drive back to Pune next morning at a slow speed. Kept below 50kmph for a first few kms and as everything appeared normal, even the wheel alignment seemed OK...slowly switched to 5'th at the regular 60-80kmph. By the time we were out of Mumbai, I almost forgot about the damage and reached Pune in 2.5 hours as usual...

What a relief!

And my respect for the Tucson has grown multi-fold now. It really seems to be very well built. (though as a precaution, I will still check it out on the ramp soon).

BTW, I asked my cousin how he got the idea of lifting the vehicle by hands and he said - that's the standard practice for the Scorpio even in case of a simple tyre puncture!!! The jack that comes with the Scorpio is such that it can not be placed below the chassis member when the tyre is flat, they have to lift the vehicle first, place the jack and then let go. Wow...what a learning...I had never imagined this could be an issue - a good jack should be such that when fully folded, it should be compact enough to slide below the vehicle in minimum clearance situations!

Hats off to Hyundai and hats off to Mahindra - for completely different reasons....ha ha ha.

Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 4th July 2012 at 13:13.
Old 4th July 2012, 13:13   #204
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Tucson falls into a manhole and comes out unscathed!

Well Done Anand!

Brings me to mind of the time in 2007 or 2008 when an X Trail went into a deep ditch and badly needed help to come out.
I was passing by and was able to help the Xtrail driver and passenger by getting into the ditch and literally lifting the front left side out of the ditch.
We first thought I would tow it out but couldn't do that because there was no tow hook to attach the rope to - or perhaps at the time we didn't know where to look!

Hope the Tuc survives this ordeal with flying colors and no damages!!
All the best!

Cheers!

Quote:
One again, the Tucson had to face the dangers of the urban jungle...

Went to Mumbai and I was parking in the society parking area at around 11 PM and drove over a rectangular concrete manhole, and surprize surprize - the concrete cover broke down into pieces and with a loud cracking noise, the right front wheel completely sank into the chamber .
nd my respect for the Tucson has grown multi-fold now. It really seems to be very well built. (though as a precaution, I will still check it out on the ramp soon).

B
Hats off to Hyundai and hats off to Mahindra - for completely different reasons....ha ha ha.

Cheers!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2012, 15:13   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Well Done Anand!

Brings me to mind of the time in 2007 or 2008 when an X Trail went into a deep ditch and badly needed help to come out.
I was passing by and was able to help the Xtrail driver and passenger by getting into the ditch and literally lifting the front left side out of the ditch.
We first thought I would tow it out but couldn't do that because there was no tow hook to attach the rope to - or perhaps at the time we didn't know where to look!

Hope the Tuc survives this ordeal with flying colors and no damages!!
All the best!

Cheers!
Thanks Shankar.

Looks like "lifting" is the first thing in such cases, without which towing just won't work. Not sure if towing vehicles are also equipped to lift.

Tucson seems to have survided very well, which is awesome.

BTW, have you experienced this scorpio jack problem ever? You had a Scorpio, correct? - Just curious.

Thanks again.
Old 4th July 2012, 20:07   #206
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Nope. Never faced this problem on the Scorpio.
Cheers!

Quote:
Thanks Shankar.

Looks like "lifting" is the first thing in such cases, without which towing just won't work. Not sure if towing vehicles are also equipped to lift.

Tucson seems to have survided very well, which is awesome.

BTW, have you experienced this scorpio jack problem ever? You had a Scorpio, correct? - Just curious.

Thanks again.
Old 19th July 2012, 11:08   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Last night, I got into the Tucson and inserted the key and the instrument cluster lights came on (even without turning the key!) and I realized I had left the parking lights ON when I parked in the morning.

Still, Tucson started without a fuss and so then I played around with the light stalk and key and found that if I switch off the engine, take the key out and open the driver side door, the lights automatically switch off even if I leave the stalk in ON position!

Good car.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 19th July 2012 at 11:09.
Old 20th July 2012, 10:07   #208
BHPian

Yes, true with the Elantra as well. If you switch to Park lights from all lights on and then switch off the engine, the park lights remain for a few minutes and then switch automatically off. You've got to switch all lights off and the engine and then turn park lights on for it to remain.

A nice feature, this, for it helps when I am so absent minded.
Old 20th July 2012, 11:02   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi @convival,

That's good to know.

And today I found the same on Laura too. If I leave the lights ON and take out the key, the lights switch OFF. So gone are the days of lights remaining ON throughout the day draining the battery by night....

BTW, last monsoon, I discovered variable (user adjustable) speed vipers in the Tucson and I was delighted. Yesterday, I think I observed that they are speed sensitive too (I need to double check). Basically, in the first position, I had set the rotor to slowest speed and then I accelerated for a few hundred meters and realized the vipers started acting faster. They again slowed down when the car slowed down. Does anyone know if this is true or if my mind was fooling me? I will try again may be tomorrow.

Cheers!
Old 20th July 2012, 12:25   #210
BHPian

Finding Easter-eggs after a few years of usage..eh?

Quote:
Yesterday, I think I observed that they are speed sensitive too (I need to double check). Basically, in the first position, I had set the rotor to slowest speed and then I accelerated for a few hundred meters and realized the vipers started acting faster. They again slowed down when the car slowed down. Does anyone know if this is true or if my mind was fooling me? I will try again may be tomorrow.
Be assured that its NOT your mind playing tricks... Tucson's wiper speeds are either vehicle speed dependent or rain dependent. I'm just not sure which parameter controls the speeds but it certainly varies during the drive.

There is supposedly a rain sensor on the dashboard. The black conical stuff at the centre in close proximity to the windshield. I'm not sure whether it is a dummy or a real sensor or something else.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks