Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2010, 19:59   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
If you have to replace the Oil Seal, and its a Rubber Oil Seal, send me the size/sample and I might be able to get one made for you ...
Hi @AbhiJ,

Thank you so much.
I will get in touch with once I have the confirmed details.

Cheers!
Old 17th November 2010, 21:26   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

The broken hose is ordered - will come from Korea.

BTW, one question about these hoses - I see that many of the air intake hoses are made of cloth:
- The very first section that sucks the air in
- The intercooler out

My question is why? Why not solid metal pipes all around?
The intercooler is located between the front bumber and front left wheel (it's very low) and the textured hose coming out of the intercooler is even lower and is made of cloth. How does this setup survive during water wading?

The SA told me that all diesel vehicles use flexible cloth hoses for space optimization!
Guys, any clue?
Old 17th November 2010, 22:16   #78
BHPian

Those hoses are not made of clothes but just braided with woven fabric on the outer surface for improved thermals. At insides they are just like flexible rubber hoses.
Old 22nd November 2010, 18:55   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Those hoses are not made of clothes but just braided with woven fabric on the outer surface for improved thermals. At insides they are just like flexible rubber hoses.
Thanks.
That's interesting.
Why is this not a practice in petrol powered cars I wonder.

BTW, the hose is still awaited from Hyundai Korea...
Old 5th December 2010, 07:14   #80
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I saw a nice looking Black Tucson 2006 Model yesterday at the Royal car showroom in Koramangala. Done 68750 kms.
It looks well kept overall. New Yoko tyres. 2 tiny dents on the left side doors - (motorcycle mirror knock type dents).
interiors are clean. 2 -3 small tears in the driver seat leather upholstery - else ok.
started it. sounds nice but seems to have a laziness (looseness) about it when accelerator is blipped. not as "tight" as my Scorpio feels.
didnt drive it.
apparently it is owned by some coffee planter type chap and is up for sale now in the used market. Single owner. Insurance valid till December 2010 only. Comprehensive.
in 4-4.2 years it has done 68750 - average 17000 odd per annum. Not bad, considering.
all the switches and stalks and stuff seems to work ok.
Asking price 9.75. Fully loaded version with Traction Control, 4WD, Driver side + Passenger Airbags etc.
Suggested to the car store chap that since it is out of production now, this should be valued only at about 8.5 max.
Said he will call me back and let me know.
I am just researching this car because I like the Tucson overall as a vehicle and in comparison to an X Trail the Hyundai should be easier and less expensive to maintain overall since it shares a lot of parts with the Elantra- even though the Elantra itself is out of production.
Thing is with all these SUV's in India which hit the used market - one never knows who actually has driven it. It might be a one owner vehicle but the owner, being well off might have simply given to some clod of a driver/ chauffeur to drive on daily basis and I hate driver driven cars because they dont know anything about when to change gears and how to handle a 4WD, Traction Control and a Turbo engine and so on. Most of the time they are busy playing music loudly and acting like some local heroes when they are driving their employers cars on their own.
thats the sad part indeed.
Somehow while even considering used cars, I get this deep seated instinctive unhappy "feeling" about who has driven it and how well he/ she has driven it.
Worrying, when one is considering spends at that level.

Any thoughts guys?

cheers

Last edited by shankar.balan : 5th December 2010 at 07:16.
Old 5th December 2010, 20:32   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Shankar,

I would have loved to accompany you for a test drive/evaluation if both of us lived close by :-(.

I have been driving the tucson for 2 years and 30000KM now and have test driven a couple of them for friends who were impressed with my experience with a used one. If you are sure about the initial sluggishness of the accelerator, then there is something wrong. Mine shoots ahead when first is engaged even without pressing the accelerator. But I say you take a good long TD. Another nice part about the car is - it coasts at @12-15 kmph in second without pressing accelerator at all. I love it as it's so much fun going to office every morning with such a low speed cruze control :-)

If you read this thread in details, it would help to list all thing you should check before buying the car.

For a 4 year, 68K driver Tucson, 8 to 8.5 should be a good price, but Bangalore road tax is high, so it can command just a bit more premium. First and foremost - check whether timing belt and clutch overhaul are done - it would be good to price your offer accordingly. Clutch overhaul is @Rs.13000 and timing belt overhaul is @Rs.14000.

Yes, I also always pray and hope that whosoever has driven my Tuc before me has idled it for a few seconds on startup and before shutdown :-)

BTW, the parts have arrived and replaced. The car is being trialed to ensure there is no oil and coolant leakage, etc. Will pick it up tomorrow and update with detailed report.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 5th December 2010 at 20:35.
Old 7th December 2010, 14:35   #82
AVR
BHPian

Recent Tucson Owner

Hi Anand,

Thanks for a very useful thread on the Tucson.

I picked up a 05 Tucson with for 6.5L. Odo is doubtful but engine condition/sound/response was good so picked it up. I personally like to stress test a vehicle in the first week of buying it and so we used it for a trip of about 2500 Kms in the first 8 days! Have never been more impressed with a vehicle on the highways. I usually drive a Safari on the highways (and so am used to a comfortable ride) but the Tucson has a great feel to it also.

Was interested in knowing a good choice of Tyres for the Tucson. My Tucson has upsized 235/70R16 tyres which are fairly inappropriate and so am hoping to change them very soon. Want a fairly economical option (except for the Chinese ones!)

Also any advice about fuel brand and fuel additives plus regular checkpoints that I should keep in mind?

Cheers,
Aditya

P.S. Tried calling you earlier today. Let's talk

Last edited by AVR : 7th December 2010 at 14:39.
Old 7th December 2010, 14:49   #83
BHPian

I've recently switched from stock 215/65/16 Bridgestones to 235/60/R16 Cooper tyres on my Tucson and the difference has been HUGE (in a positive way).

235/60/R16 is the up-size which comes on higher end US & UK Tucsons and is within manufacturer specs.

More details on Cooper: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...good-they.html

Congrats and welcome to Tucson bandwagon...2005 Tucson at 6.5 lacs is a steal!!!...Enjoy...

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 7th December 2010 at 14:51.
Old 7th December 2010, 14:54   #84
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I saw a nice looking Black Tucson 2006 Model yesterday at the Royal car showroom in Koramangala. Done 68750 kms.
It looks well kept overall. New Yoko tyres. 2 tiny dents on the left side doors - (motorcycle mirror knock type dents).
interiors are clean. 2 -3 small tears in the driver seat leather upholstery - else ok.
Hmmm, if the odo is correct (which I doubt since it is at a used car dealership), the rest seems to be ok.
Quote:
started it. sounds nice but seems to have a laziness (looseness) about it when accelerator is blipped. not as "tight" as my Scorpio feels.
didnt drive it.
Signs of a tired engine. Yellow flag.
Quote:
apparently it is owned by some coffee planter type chap and is up for sale now in the used market. Single owner. Insurance valid till December 2010 only. Comprehensive.
in 4-4.2 years it has done 68750 - average 17000 odd per annum. Not bad, considering.
all the switches and stalks and stuff seems to work ok.
There is not much you can check in this area. Which RTO is it registered at? Is there a complete service record? Which Hyundai ASC has it been going to?
Quote:
Asking price 9.75. Fully loaded version with Traction Control, 4WD, Driver side + Passenger Airbags etc.
Over priced by around 1-1.25 lacs but the dealer will surely negotiate, if you decide to buy it.
Quote:
I am just researching this car because I like the Tucson overall as a vehicle and in comparison to an X Trail the Hyundai should be easier and less expensive to maintain overall since it shares a lot of parts with the Elantra- even though the Elantra itself is out of production.
Thing is with all these SUV's in India which hit the used market - one never knows who actually has driven it. It might be a one owner vehicle but the owner, being well off might have simply given to some clod of a driver/ chauffeur to drive on daily basis and I hate driver driven cars because they dont know anything about when to change gears and how to handle a 4WD, Traction Control and a Turbo engine and so on. Most of the time they are busy playing music loudly and acting like some local heroes when they are driving their employers cars on their own.
thats the sad part indeed.
Well, I dont like it for its quirky looks, discontinued production and so so interiors. My biggest dislike remains its looks.
Quote:
Somehow while even considering used cars, I get this deep seated instinctive unhappy "feeling" about who has driven it and how well he/ she has driven it.
Worrying, when one is considering spends at that level.
Which is why I d strongly recommend you to stay away from it. Especially when it is at a dealer. Your Scorp for example, would never find its way to a dealer when you decide to sell it.
If I dont buy it from you, someone else who knows you will.

Get the drift?
Old 7th December 2010, 17:04   #85
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

it was a KA 51

I m not buying as of now anyway
and Im especially not planning to buy used and that too a vehicle which is no longer in the marketplace, however tempting the price may be.

I would much rather settle for a brand new 4WD VLX Scorpio with all the Safety Features etc at 13 lac on road. Greater value, cheaper to maintain and run.
Tough enough to take to most places without feeling guilty.
Acres of storage and luggage space.

Suits me to a T as of now

cheers
Old 10th December 2010, 12:50   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bought A Used Hyundai Tucson - The Journey Begins-"A suspected turbo oil seal pro

Hi @AVR,

Thank you. And congrats on a smooth aquisition of the Tucson.
Wish you happy drives in the Tuc.

I am running on stock size tyres (Micheline Lattitude) and regular diesel.

BTW, the car is back and I have been driving it for last 4 days. So far no leakage anywhere. Performance had never dropped even when there was a leakage so nothing to report on that front.

I have the old radiator and intake pipe. I will post the pictures as well as the bill copy tomorrow.

Cheers!
Old 9th January 2011, 18:42   #87
BHPian

Re: Bought A Used Hyundai Tucson - The Journey Begins-"A suspected turbo oil seal pro

I have come across a used 2005 tucson with 100,000 kms on the odo with a asking price of about 600,000.

I will be going for a TD of the car next week.

Just wanted to check regarding the availability of spares at ASC. Are consumables stocked by service centers or even the smallest of the parts is imported from Korea ?

The owner says that the turbo is still the same and havent been replaced yet. Since the car has run for 100,000 kms already, the turbo replacement would be required anytime. Is my understanding correct ?
Old 9th January 2011, 20:54   #88
BHPian

@ Kamal SN

The pricing seems reasonable but be sure to check the complete service record of the car. If there are large amount of unknowns in a 100K done car, it may be prudent to walk away even when the pricing is good.

There is no specific requirement/recommendation to change TC @ 100K Kms. Mine has crossed 100K and still going strong (as good as new). I'm aware of and have driven Tucsons which has cross 230K without any turbo replacement/major issues. Suspension may be the one which may give up around 80K-120K based on prior usage.
Old 9th January 2011, 22:58   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, I second that. Turbo should ideally never fail if the car is not abused. Price looks ok, please check service history and also take opinion from a Hyundai service adviser.
Old 9th January 2011, 23:09   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamal.sn View Post
Just wanted to check regarding the availability of spares at ASC. Are consumables stocked by service centers or even the smallest of the parts is imported from Korea?
I know from Tucson Owners circle down south that spares has never been a problem for Tucson since there is lots of parts sharing between Elantra, Sonata and Tucson. Some odd parts may require import from Korea but HMIL is usually too good with their parts sourcing. The max I had to wait was 2 days so far, but I've never had any major replacements yet.

And as Anand suggested, take the vehicle to a competent Hyundai A.S.S (or better still two for comparison) and get it thoroughly checked up. They should be able to tell you what expenses can be expected in the immediate term.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 9th January 2011 at 23:16.
Digital Vampire is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks