Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2011, 13:22   #136
BHPian

Re: Nice thing about the spare tyre in Tucson

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
This weekend, checked the air pressure in the spare tyre before a long trip and realized that the spare is mounted such that the outer side of the wheel/tyre is facing upwards - so I can check and refill air without having to take out the tyre. NICE!!!

In my Laura, the spare wheel is mounted the other way round - the outer side is facing downwards, and I have to take the wheel out to check/refill air...It's a pain. I will check if I can mount it the other way round...

And now IIRC, it was the same problem in my NHC as well.
I thought all vehicle spare tyres were mounted as in Tucson (air-filler plug up). At least my other cars has it the proper way. Isn't that common sense that you should be able to fill/check air without removing the spare wheel? I'm very surprised Laura and NHC got such basic design wrong!!!
Old 11th June 2011, 14:31   #137
BHPian

re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done EDIT: Accident, total loss and vehicle scrapped

Quote:
I had once switched to Mobil Delvac MX - and it was really bad. Engine became lttile rough and noisy, switched back to the default oil (Indian Oil Servo) within 3 or 4 months and I developed very good respect for Indian Oil.

Tucson is much more silent and smooth when using the Indian Oil Servo.

Now I bought Mobil Delvac 1 (5W40) - fully synthetic and meets API CI+/CI/CH...

Will update on how it feels once I have the Tucson back in a day or two.
We are still waiting for your feedback on the Mobil Delvac 1 in your Tucson.
Old 13th June 2011, 10:44   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done EDIT: Accident, total loss and vehicle scrapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamal.sn View Post
We are still waiting for your feedback on the Mobil Delvac 1 in your Tucson.
Sorry for the delay - the idling and start up is a little quieter, and overall the engine is running just a bit smoother I think. The difference is only marginal though and I am trying to ensure that there is no placebo effect here.

One other thing to observe will be whether the performance ramains same even after 10,000 KM or so -longevity is one said USP of the synthetics, so let's see.
Old 14th June 2011, 12:48   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

BLack and Decker Jump Starter & Inflator - it did work!!!

About six months ago, I had bought a Black and Decker Jump Starter and Inflator kit (asked my cousin to get it from US for USD90) - primarily to jump start in case of emergency. Have not had a chance to jump start any vehicle with this one yet, but a couple of weeks ago, left rear tyre (which I had been suspecting of a puncture as it was consistently loosing pressure every few days) went completely flat. Instead of changing the tyre, I decided to try the B&D to inflate it and drive to the tyre shop and voila it really worked.

It took around 20 minutes to inflate the completely flat Micheline 215/65R16.

This one is rated for US supply, so I have to use a 120V to 240V convertor to charge. An overnight charge seems to be good enough - a lot of juice is left even after inflating the tyre. There are 3 LED's indicating level of charge - all three glow after an overnight charge and all three continue to glow after the tyre was inflated (the third one had reduced intensity, I think). Also, if you charge overnight and then store it away for a month or so, it does not loose charge by much which is very good.

Here is a pic:
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done EDIT: Accident, total loss and vehicle scrapped-b_d_junmpstarterinflator.jpg  

Last edited by anandpadhye : 14th June 2011 at 12:54.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 15:28   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats neat.But why not use inflate using compressor off the battery? Cheaper and convenient. In USA/Canada jump start is a mjor problem as the battery tend to loose charge in extremely low temperatures.
Old 14th June 2011, 15:43   #141
BHPian

Re: BLack and Decker Jump Starter & Inflator - it did work!!!

Quote:
It took around 20 minutes to inflate the completely flat Micheline 215/65R16.
Are you sure there was no leak?
20 minutes to fill a flat seems high.Or being a standalone unit the reason for a slow fill?

I use a portable air compressor (powered via Cigarette lighter socket) purchased from ebay for Rs.900 and it re-inflates a 235/60/R16 in 8-9 minutes. I've used it many times during my TPMS learning/calibration and the fill time from flat to 32psi is within 8-9 mins.
Old 15th June 2011, 10:10   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Thats neat.But why not use inflate using compressor off the battery? Cheaper and convenient. In USA/Canada jump start is a mjor problem as the battery tend to loose charge in extremely low temperatures.
I bought this one primarily for jump starting but it came with a built-in compressor as well, so decided to try it. Now that it works, it's good kit to have in the boot during long journeys, I think. Yes, for a faster inflation, portable compressor running off the car battery may be faster. This B&D kit is rated 500AH, I think so I do not know if the battery inside the kit is weaker than the regular car battery or it's just a small compressor inside that is the bottleneck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Are you sure there was no leak?
20 minutes to fill a flat seems high.Or being a standalone unit the reason for a slow fill?

I use a portable air compressor (powered via Cigarette lighter socket) purchased from ebay for Rs.900 and it re-inflates a 235/60/R16 in 8-9 minutes. I've used it many times during my TPMS learning/calibration and the fill time from flat to 32psi is within 8-9 mins.
Of course the tyre had a puncture, but that should not be the cause of slow fill. And as far as connection goes, I tried my best to confirm there was no leak at the valve. The compressor is fairly noisy and that's why, in the beginning, I thought it's faulty, but it worked. I have recorded a video during the inflation which should give an idea about the noise. Will upload to youtube to see what people think.

What's the brand of the portable compressor you are using (off the 12V socket)?
Old 15th June 2011, 12:08   #143
BHPian

Quote:
What's the brand of the portable compressor you are using (off the 12V socket)?
Its a no-name Chinese product but has been working well for 1+ year and not too noisy.

Here is the ebay link to the exact product but I got it for much cheaper (Rs.900) from a different seller.

METAL BODY HEAVY DUTY MINI AIR COMPRESSOR FOR CARS | eBay

PS: Don't buy the plastic body compressors from eBay (goes for ~Rs.500). They are too slow and mine conked off within months.
Digital Vampire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 10:59   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Fact, not placebo. Those 58 liters of fuel weigh about 40 kilos in total. 40 KG can make a noticeable difference when it's at the tail end of the vehicle.

Conversely, have you noticed how a car feels when the tank is on reserve? Sure, the difference isn't that much, but still perceptible.
Yes, Tucson certainly pulls better with full tank. It feels like it's dragging it's feet "just a little bit" when tank is almost empty...
Old 2nd August 2011, 15:05   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

All the three wiper blade assemblies replaced

Got all the three wiper assemblies replaced (intended to get only the wiper rubber blades replaced, but the SA showed me that there is a play developed in the existing assemby, so it's better to get the assembly replaced).

BLADE ASSY-WIPER, REAR: Part No. 988202E000, Price: Rs. 667
BLADE ASSY-WIPER, PASSENGER SIDE: Part No. 983602E900, Price: Rs. 767
BLADE ASSY-WIPER, DRIVER SIDE: part No. 983502E900, Price: Rs.1222

Note: Just the wiper rubber blades cost Rs. 250 each - I had replaced just the rubber blades last year, when the assembly was found OK.
Old 2nd August 2011, 16:33   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Hey Anand,

It would be great if you could ask your "Family Doctor" about the availability and pricing of the following?
  • Dash Board Centre Console - The gunmetal finished plastic frame which holds Hazard switch, fog light switch...I need a new one reserved so that I can mod my old one (or new one) to hold a 7" capacitive screen for my carputer.
  • Replacement for centre console dummy switch - As you would already know, the switch position underneath the hazard switch is a dummy. It would be nice to have a real switch there to switch some ancillaries. In US models, this switch is populated (IIRC, for heated seats).
  • Replacement switches for dummy positions in the 4WD/TCS Select Console - There are a few dummy positions there as well. I'm a sucker for OEM looks and hence looking for original switches only.
  • Rear LHS wheel Arch Apron - The black rubber/plastic covering which forms the inner wheel arch (right above the tyre - Mine got broken after some stone damage.
  • Genuine Hyundai Keyless Entry System: Genuine Hyundai Keyless entry system (not Autocop/Minda which are co-branded as Hyundai) which can connect (true plug n play) to Tucson's ETAC module. I hate after market Keyless Entry Systems since it almost always involves cutting or stripping OEM wiring which I cannot tolerate.
  • Suspension Bush Kit - Full set (front and rear)
Please note that none of the above are urgent requirements, so kindly take it up if and only if your "doctor" is a bit free.

TIA
Hi Anoop,

I gave this list to the SA today and he was amussed.
For the original switches, he is asking if you would like to order the red one (like the emergency) for the dummy on the center console (assuming he may not be able to trace the real switch that is used in other markets). I asked him to search for a black one so that the red one does not loose it's uniqueness in case of emrgency. The he asked me if it should have the symbol for rear windshield heater or the fogs. I asked him to find the price of both or if there another choice of symbol.... Same for the dummy near the 4WD/TCS. If he can not find what actually goes in that place in the US/EU version, I asked him to take a pick!

On the Genuine Hyundai Keyless entry that's compatible with Tucson's ETAC module - he wants to meet you! I told him it should not be difficult but he said they may not have the entries in their parts DB for those features that were not installed from the factory as those can not be looked up using the chassis number as the primary key.

Let's see.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 2nd August 2011 at 16:34.
Old 2nd August 2011, 17:09   #147
BHPian

Quote:
I gave this list to the SA today and he was amused.
...Many thanks Anand. Lets us see what pans out.

Quote:
On the Genuine Hyundai Keyless entry that's compatible with Tucson's ETAC module - he wants to meet you!

I've saved somewhere a link to a Korean website which shows the Genuine Hyundai Keyless entry module which works with Tucson's ETAC. I tried to contact them but no reply.
Old 16th August 2011, 17:49   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

I am looking for change of tyres (215/65R16).
There is general shortage due to ISI issues.

No Michelines. No continentals...one shop is offering Pirellis (Rs.10500 each!!!)

I had bought one Continental 4x4 Contact last year in emergency, and now when I want to change the remaining 4, continentals are not available.

I am getting Yokohama Geolander AT (G012) for @8200.
From quick reading on the net, this appears to be an A/T tyre.
Is is noisy?

Any feedback on this tyre wrt comfort, noise, grip, etc?
As usual, I see contradictory reviews on the net (primarily about noise).

I would really like quiet tyres.

PLEASE...
Old 25th August 2011, 17:12   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

OK, got the 4 tyres changed. Yokohama Geolandar G012.
Rs.8300 per tyre.

Had to make a trip to Nashik next day.
Seem to be very nice tyres (of course, this should be said after 20,000KM or so, but what an improvement over older tyres).

So my belief is reaffirmed - we should change tyres every 3 years or so, no matter if the tread is worn out or not.
The rubber surely deteriorates and we can not "see" it!

BTW, Geolandar G012 is nice looking tyre too.
Adds to the Tucson's personality (may be every new tyre does that, but I kind of like the tread pattern).

Afterall, I had to spend Rs.33,200 in total. I better be happy.

Note:
G012 being an A/T tyre (semi off-road kind of), I am eager to check the noise level - need to take it to the expressway which is all concrete.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 25th August 2011 at 17:16.
Old 25th August 2011, 17:22   #150
AVR
BHPian

Geolandars are good tyres. I have them on my Safari for the last 40K and not a puncture. No issues whatsoever and they'll give immense confidence on the highway even if it rains.

Pricing looks reasonable for a rather low-selling tyre size. I believe there are a couple of sizes that can be evaluated for the Tucson right? I currently have 235/70R16 on the Tucson and those are a pain. Need to shift to a smaller size soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks