Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2015, 02:44   #1111
Senior - BHPian

re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

I bought 3Litres (3 x 1ltr) of Castrol Edge as I already had a 1Ltr Motul can with me and I bought two filters from the Hyundai guys. Why, one might wonder.

I have been thinking about filter's performance for a long time now. See the nice new technology oils that we pour in can easily last the 15000 kms or even more for that matter but what about the oil filter. When does it gets choked? at 2000? 5000? or does it last the distance. Not having a definite answer, I decided to run one filter for approx. 5-6000 kms and then change it without changing the oil.

In a single go the Cedia takes in roughly 3.5 litres. So I now have roughly half a litre of oil and one new filter. I will replace the filter in a few months and use the remaining oil for top up to replace the oil that will be spilt while changing the filter.

In due course, I plan on trying the following filter and leave it on for the entire 15000 kms.

http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Purple-1...7MCHTTD1VC8REX

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I am trying to find these one-by-one.
I need 4 liters for Cedia and hence I would skip the 5 liter packages - I don't want to keep the can with 1 liter for six months with me.
EDIT : By the way you will be able to find 3.5 ltr jars of Mobil1000 10W 40 (semi synthetic) in the market and at the local Maruti service centre too.

Last edited by khoj : 13th February 2015 at 02:48.
Old 13th February 2015, 19:27   #1112
Senior - BHPian

re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I bought 3Litres (3 x 1ltr) of Castrol Edge as I already had a 1Ltr Motul can with me and I bought two filters from the Hyundai guys. Why, one might wonder.

I have been thinking about filter's performance for a long time now. See the nice new technology oils that we pour in can easily last the 15000 kms or even more for that matter but what about the oil filter. When does it gets choked? at 2000? 5000? or does it last the distance. Not having a definite answer, I decided to run one filter for approx. 5-6000 kms and then change it without changing the oil.

In a single go the Cedia takes in roughly 3.5 litres. So I now have roughly half a litre of oil and one new filter. I will replace the filter in a few months and use the remaining oil for top up to replace the oil that will be spilt while changing the filter.

In due course, I plan on trying the following filter and leave it on for the entire 15000 kms.

http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Purple-1...7MCHTTD1VC8REX

EDIT : By the way you will be able to find 3.5 ltr jars of Mobil1000 10W 40 (semi synthetic) in the market and at the local Maruti service centre too.
OK. So, I will probably have to go to the market and find out what is available. Online search did not find anything that you recommended.

I think you are recommending semi or full synthetic oils and they are out of my budget. Plus I want to continue with mineral now due to 1.27 lac KM of running.
My running is only around 7000 KM for the full year - 90% of which is on the highway.

The other car -Zen- does around 3-4000 KM and I should put some inexpensive oil there as well. I don't remember what is recommended for that car, but perhaps it would be nice if I can use the same oil in both.
Perhaps I can get some discount if I buy two cans?

I would prefer to spend around Rs. 1000 for 4 liters and change it after 6-7 months.

Edit: That Royal oil filter looks fancy.

Last edited by S_U_N : 13th February 2015 at 19:30.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 19:27   #1113

Hi Guys, this is my first post ever but have been reading silently for years now. I have finally decided to take the plunge and buy a pre-worshipped White Cedia Sports. Its a 2006 model CKD. Run 77800kms. I have loved the car ever since I first laid eyes on it back in 2006. I have been riding a motorcycle for about 8 years and this is going to be my first car. I have read this forum and many others extensives and learned of the parts that may need replacement. The clockspring being on top of the list.

However, in this car the SRS light does not come on at all during the self test sequence at initial startup. Any reasons this might be?

Also, I am in Pune and have read about MARS-India quite a lot on this forum. They still stock running parts and these are well priced. Any good mechanic in Pune that has experience with Cedias will be a boon. SUN could help me out with this.

Thanks in advance guys.. and its great to be finally able to post here.
Old 21st February 2015, 09:19   #1114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSHAYPHAL View Post
Hi Guys, this is my first post ever but have been reading silently for years now. I have finally decided to take the plunge and buy a pre-worshipped White Cedia Sports. Its a 2006 model CKD. Run 77800kms. I have loved the car ever since I first laid eyes on it back in 2006. I have been riding a motorcycle for about 8 years and this is going to be my first car. I have read this forum and many others extensives and learned of the parts that may need replacement. The clockspring being on top of the list.

However, in this car the SRS light does not come on at all during the self test sequence at initial startup. Any reasons this might be?

Also, I am in Pune and have read about MARS-India quite a lot on this forum. They still stock running parts and these are well priced. Any good mechanic in Pune that has experience with Cedias will be a boon. SUN could help me out with this.

Sure. I can help. Over the years I realized that the Cedia is a much simpler car compared to the modern cars sold here, since it does not have any complicated electronics.
So, servicing the Cedia outside the A.S.S. is easy.

I can put you in touch with my mechanic who works on all cars - from Maruti to Audi.

If the light does not come up at all, I think you need to get a scan done.
Old 21st February 2015, 10:57   #1115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSHAYPHAL View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Sure. I can help. Over the years I realized that the Cedia is a much simpler car compared to the modern cars sold here, since it does not have any complicated electronics.

If the light does not come up at all, I think you need to get a scan done.
For the SRS light, The dash bulb must be fused. A very simple replacement will solve this issue. If the bulb isn't fused then you might have to look in deeper and do a scan.

First Priority, When was the car last serviced? If required change all fluids & filters.

P.s
Your car came with a new battery and new tyres? This white Cedia sports have a small yellow sticker on the front windshield? (middle of the windshield - towards the top) Previous owner Sanjay?
Old 21st February 2015, 17:51   #1116

Quote:
Originally Posted by S U N

I can put you in touch with my mechanic who works on all cars - from Maruti to Audi.
Fantastic! Is there any way to pm you or to contact you off this page?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
For the SRS light, The dash bulb must be fused. A very simple replacement will solve this issue. If the bulb isn't fused then you might have to look in deeper and do a scan.

First Priority, When was the car last serviced? If required change all fluids & filters.

P.s
Your car came with a new battery and new tyres? This white Cedia sports have a small yellow sticker on the front windshield? (middle of the windshield - towards the top) Previous owner Sanjay?
Yeah, It was serviced about 2-3 months ago. Ill try getting the bulb replaced. Was thinking of giving it to the ASS for a quick scan. And BTW yes it is Sanjay's car. Fabulously maintained. Do you know him?
AKSHAYPHAL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2015, 20:23   #1117
BHPian

Quote:
Servicing the vehicle is pretty straightforward. Oil filter is the same as used in a Hyundai Santro and I am currently using OE Hyundai filter, oil selection is straightforward @ 5W40 and what else get the car's underbody washed, checked for torn boots loose nuts etc and you are done.

As for the front bumper if your's is a sports model, do not have it opened anywhere but at the workshop. The front skirting is connected to the bumper by way of few dozen clips and the outside guys will break them for sure leaving you in a lurch. If it is a spirit (without the skirting ) then have it opened and repaired anywhere. For FN garage recommendations take a look at the Mumbai directory here on the forum.

As for whether you go forward with a Mitsubishi or not is your personal call. In my books though Mitsubishi still gets full marks for having made the factory recall (for the headlight assembly switching circuit) for a model that is no longer in production especially in our country where there is no legal compulsion for them to do so.

Thanks for the reply. Couldn't reply before as have been traveling like crazy.

So, as luck would have it Mitsubishi arranged a call and had a pick up and drop by Shakti Motors guys from Navi Mumbai (a service center 25 kms - 30 kms away from my place).

So Shakti motors guys did a major service (80,000 kms) on my car which has actually clocked 29,000 kms. They said that they look at the year and conduct services accordingly. No complain whatsoever. My take is do what it takes to keep my car pristine and new.

They also repaired the bumper and repainted it. I must say a very neat job. Absolutely fabulous!

Total Damage for the major service and Bumper repair and painting Rs. 17,000.

When i got the vehicle i took it out for a spin and the car seemed to run as smooth as butter. Since my office is on the highway the test run was mostly on the freeway and i was thoroughly impressed with the service and what they did to the car.

Later that night when i took the car out with windows down i heard a loud metallic sound when going over a rough patch emanating from the left front end of the car. (Coincidently the bumper repair was also for the left front bumper) This is not audible always but when it is it is a loud metallic sound.

The next day i called up Shakti motors and got to know that in major service they ramp up the vehicle and check the suspension thoroughly and also chec the bushings and they did not find any issues at that time.

The service manager assured me that he will send a technician to check what the problem is and that it should not be anything major as they didnt see any problem with the suspension. They were supposed to send the technician last monday. I have travelled to the US for work and just couldnt follow up with them. I intend to do that Monday next week and i really hope that the suspension is just fine. Cant have a suspension blow up on my newly acquired car.

Its like my car has a dual personality now. On highways it rides better than new and inroads its like metal bashing metal.

Can the bumper repair job have anything to do with the suspension job? I know its unrelated but just trying to draw some correlation since im 100% sure that suspension was never an issue before the service.

Any inputs will help.......Also what would be the typical cost range for a suspension work. Will a suspension work mean recurring costs for life? Just worried
Old 22nd February 2015, 00:51   #1118
Senior - BHPian

Could you be more objective in describing the metal on metal sound.

My car had similar issue of making a clacking sound that too only at low speeds on poorly surfaced roads. It turned out to be a loose pin in the front brake calliper. However unless we have a more detailed description on the issue it will be difficult to comment.

In the future find out what all parts you Cedia requires and then buy them when you are in the USA. They are cheaper to buy and with bucket load of choices too. If you are there presently you may want to bring in small stuff like in cabin air filter etc, costs Rs.1200/- there compared to Rs.2300/- here

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj981 View Post
Its like my car has a dual personality now. On highways it rides better than new and inroads its like metal bashing metal.

Can the bumper repair job have anything to do with the suspension job? I know its unrelated but just trying to draw some correlation since im 100% sure that suspension was never an issue before the service.

Any inputs will help.......Also what would be the typical cost range for a suspension work. Will a suspension work mean recurring costs for life? Just worried
Old 22nd February 2015, 14:27   #1119
BHPian

Quote:
Could you be more objective in describing the metal on metal sound.
The sound is a very clear "clunk" which happens irrespective of me braking. I have visually looked at the caliper and there still seems to be a good amount of pad still on. But will surely ask the technician to have a look at that.

I got the Cedia as a replacement to my trusted Civic. I so hope that this does not burn a deep hole in my pocket.

Quote:
In the future find out what all parts you Cedia requires and then buy them when you are in the USA. They are cheaper to buy and with bucket load of choices too. If you are there presently you may want to bring in small stuff like in cabin air filter etc, costs Rs.1200/- there compared to Rs.2300/- here
Sure....i think i will get some of the parts that can come in handy. And as you rightly pointed out.....i infact did get the cabin filter from the US and did a DIY installation a couple of months ago. Probably its time for a caliper set now...lets see.
Old 7th March 2015, 18:24   #1120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
Get a set of Mintex pads. Tad expensive, but boy they brake and last well.

Could you let me know where I could get these pads and the approx price coz the factory ones in mine are a nightmare
Old 8th March 2015, 10:06   #1121
BHPian

I finally got Rolunds and they are decent enough. You will be able to find it at any local parts shop. The front set was 1800.
Old 8th March 2015, 12:14   #1122
Senior - BHPian

Pads have nothing to do with the issue. It is a pin that jumps in its sleeve on account of the enveloping grease having hardened and unable to cushion the pin's movement. The pin needs to be taken out, regreased and reinserted back into the sleeve. This is a hard grease and easily available in the US and here too provided the mechanic appreciates that it's different from normal grease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj981 View Post
The sound is a very clear "clunk" which happens irrespective of me braking. I have visually looked at the caliper and there still seems to be a good amount of pad still on. But will surely ask the technician to have a look at that.
Old 16th March 2015, 13:50   #1123
Senior - BHPian

Could not find any mineral oil in 10W40. So, I had to go with 15W40.
5 Liter can for Rs. 1530.

It has API SJ and is usable for both petrol and diesel engines.

Also, got a Santro Oil filter from the same shop for Rs. 100.
In addition, I got the oil seal from Mars India a few weeks ago.

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_20150316_115059942_hdr.jpg

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_20150316_130047254_hdr.jpg
Old 25th March 2015, 20:26   #1124
BHPian

Hello, I know it's OT but I am not getting any replies in the 'USED CAR PRICE CHECK thread'.
Maybe the Cedia owners can give a better idea.
I have just come across a 2009 Mitsubishi Cedia spirit model run 98k km. It looks clean and the second owner claims to have only serviced it at Mitsubishi A.S.S. I am more worried about its maintenance aspects and upkeep. It being a petrol, how much F.E can I expect?<br /> And does a 1 lakh km run car require any major service? I intend to keep it for around 3 years. What is the best price for the car? Is it advisable?
Old 25th March 2015, 21:51   #1125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepilot View Post
Hello, I know it's OT but I am not getting any replies in the 'USED CAR PRICE CHECK thread'.
Maybe the Cedia owners can give a better idea.
I have just come across a 2009 Mitsubishi Cedia spirit model run 98k km. It looks clean and the second owner claims to have only serviced it at Mitsubishi A.S.S. I am more worried about its maintenance aspects and upkeep. It being a petrol, how much F.E can I expect?<br /> And does a 1 lakh km run car require any major service? I intend to keep it for around 3 years. What is the best price for the car? Is it advisable?
I got my 2011 Cedia Sports done 25k kms for Rs. 3.65 lac. Going from there i would say Rs. 2.00 - Rs. 2.50 lac or thereabouts should be a fair price. Of course you may definitely want to factor how well the previous owner has maintained the car. There's a very handy guide available at TBHP for inspection of second hand cars. Do take a look at that and watch out for obvious red flags.
Depending on your driving style any where between 8km to 14km could be your F.E.
Since you mentioned that it has been serviced at Mitsubishi they would have done a major service @ 90k kms. Cedia's have a great ride quality and is pretty reliable from what I've read on TBHP. Get the tires, underbody, clutch and suspension checked as a bare minimum. All the best!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks