Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2012, 20:27   #301
BHPian

3D Star Mats Review

Bought these Star 3D Mats for my new Swift 7 months back from Sai Mag Wheels. I have been using HR alloys in several of my cars for the past 10 years and had complete faith in their products.

But sorry to say, this time I am sorely disappointed. The fitting is no where perfect as the 3D mats claim to be, especially the one for the rear hump is ill-fitting. Dust keep spilling on the original carpet. They are a major pain to clean, even with regular wash they look dirty within 10 mins of use. But the major problem is their durability, the driver's side mat developed a major gash within 3 months of use, and now its on the verge of growing itself into a hole. I guess the major culprit is the design of the the metal heel-rest, which is too far off from the clutch pedal. This is surely not a one-off case, as the same thing happened in my friend's Beat. When he visited Sai Mags with his complaint, they weren't interested.

On a recent visit to Sai Mag Wheels for buying alloys for my cousin's Sunny, I mentioned about this, but the owner didn't seem interested and said this is a first one for him. So I would advice fellow bhp-ians to stay away from this cheap chinese imitation and stick to 3D Kagu or any other durable brand.
Attached Thumbnails
3D KAGU & Other Premium Mats-swift-mats.jpg  

ScorpMan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2012, 10:18   #302
Senior - BHPian

re: 3D KAGU & Other Premium Mats

Pics of 3D Maxpider mats in my XUV5OO -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2901858
Old 13th September 2012, 21:47   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan
Bought these Star 3D Mats for my new Swift 7 months back from Sai Mag Wheels. I have been using HR alloys in several of my cars for the past 10 years and had complete faith in their products.

But sorry to say, this time I am sorely disappointed. The fitting is no where perfect as the 3D mats claim to be, especially the one for the rear hump is ill-fitting. Dust keep spilling on the original carpet. They are a major pain to clean, even with regular wash they look dirty within 10 mins of use. But the major problem is their durability, the driver's side mat developed a major gash within 3 months of use, and now its on the verge of growing itself into a hole. I guess the major culprit is the design of the the metal heel-rest, which is too far off from the clutch pedal. This is surely not a one-off case, as the same thing happened in my friend's Beat. When he visited Sai Mags with his complaint, they weren't interested.

On a recent visit to Sai Mag Wheels for buying alloys for my cousin's Sunny, I mentioned about this, but the owner didn't seem interested and said this is a first one for him. So I would advice fellow bhp-ians to stay away from this cheap chinese imitation and stick to 3D Kagu or any other durable brand.
I guess you bought the universal fit rather than the ones tailor-made for the Swift.
Old 14th September 2012, 13:04   #304
Senior - BHPian

How much are these mats retailing for now a days? I remember earlier I was quoted 4k for Manza fitting ones from Kagu.
Old 14th September 2012, 13:36   #305
BHPian

Re: 3D Star Mats Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post

I agree, go for only original Kagu 3D mats, star 3D mats are horrible, a co-worker got it for his Polo and there is a similar situation there as well
Old 14th September 2012, 15:16   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
I guess you bought the universal fit rather than the ones tailor-made for the Swift.
No, they are specific for Swift, but the fit is no where near perfect.
Old 14th September 2012, 15:38   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
I agree, go for only original Kagu 3D mats, star 3D mats are horrible, a co-worker got it for his Polo and there is a similar situation there as well
I think the whole craze about these 3D mats is slightly hyped. I have seen numerous posts in this thread where owners have similar complaints about there original Kagu mats too. Basically these mats just look good but are not upto the mark when it comes to durability. BTW the star car mats in my Innova are still as good as new ( been more than a year now) inspite of the car being driven daily.
drmohitg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 15:43   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, they are specific for Swift, but the fit is no where near perfect.
Heard the same for Linea too. The same mats are used for Linea and Punto and especally rear one is not a right fit for Linea (Some uncovered area) and snug fit for Punto.

Any Linea Owners, Please share the photo.
Old 20th September 2012, 12:34   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Not impressed by the usage reports of Kagu mats, if i'm spending 5 to 6 k on a set of floor mats i would expect it to last for 5 years atleast.
I don't think these mats can last that long. Their thickness appeared less to me compared to rubber mats & pricing has put me off.
Old 20th September 2012, 13:56   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
I don't think these mats can last that long. Their thickness appeared less to me compared to rubber mats & pricing has put me off.
Yes its too pricey for a mat that doesn't last long. I'm now happy with the coir like PVC mat cut to shape and it fills the floor pretty well.

Quote:

But sorry to say, this time I am sorely disappointed. The fitting is no where perfect as the 3D mats claim to be, especially the one for the rear hump is ill-fitting.
I emailed Sai mag Wheels guys a month/two ago asking if they have the 3D mats which is "made specifically" for the new Swift. Their reply was no they don't have mats specifically for the new Swift and that the mold is same for both old and new swift. After reading this reply i didn't bother further because old swift's mat will not fit the new swift correctly as the design is slightly different.

Even the 3D kagu mats which were for the older Swift won't fit the new Swift correctly.

Last edited by Sankar : 20th September 2012 at 14:07.
Old 5th October 2012, 16:13   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
How much are these mats retailing for now a days?
I paid 2.7k for my Swift's mats.
Old 8th October 2012, 14:55   #312
BHPian

Quote:
But the major problem is their durability, the driver's side mat developed a major gash within 3 months of use, and now its on the verge of growing itself into a hole.

So I would advice fellow bhp-ians to stay away from this cheap chinese imitation and stick to 3D Kagu or any other durable brand.
I bought the original Kagu Maxspider Kagu mats for my Laura in March. Unfortunately, I bought the black colour. It is a pain to maintain. I used to think that Beige gets soiled, but Black is even worse.

Regarding the durability - I have an AT Laura and even then the driver side mat has started showing signs of damage. A small portion has already peeled off.

Long story short - They do look lovely, but are the worth the price? Doubtful. And I am seriously unhappy about the durability.
Old 8th October 2012, 15:34   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshram View Post
I bought the original Kagu Maxspider Kagu mats for my Laura in March.
This certainly means even the Kagu mats are no better than their cheaper versions. I guess we are better off using regular carpet or pvc mats. Few days back, I checked a set of "Elegance"carpet mats at a shop, looked really nice and was quoted Rs.800/-. I think I will switch over to them asa the current 3D mats develops a complete hole
Old 8th October 2012, 16:01   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Few days back, I checked a set of "Elegance"carpet mats at a shop, looked really nice and was quoted Rs.800/-.
The Elegant mats are pretty good. I had them on my old Corolla and still have it on my A Star. Bought them from the aurthorised dealer on J C Road cross. Value for money. And pretty good fit. But definitely doesn't look as classy as the Kagu mats, but I think what matters more is durability and value.

http://www.elegantauto.in/carpet-foot-mats.html

Last edited by ganeshram : 8th October 2012 at 16:03.
ganeshram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 16:10   #315

Now you have got me thinking! I recently purchased the 3d Kagu mats in Hyderabad for my new Verna. The shop had another variant that was available for lesser than half the price, but they somehow had a shinier feel to them , and not necessarily in a nice way .

I guess, I will need to wait and watch and see if these ones wear out soon. The build quality looked nice though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks