Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2011, 21:15   #346
Senior - BHPian

Re: Price for 3M sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
a)We have to constantly remind them not to fix any sticker on the wind shield during service. Also, we are unable to fix the PUC sticker as well.
Great point! I never mention this but thankfully H.A.S.S. don't stick anything on the windshield anyway. They do muck up the rear of the car though (boot lid and rear number plate).

Quote:
b) The interior cleaning guys have to be constantly reminded about the film.
Does it tend to come away at the corners? Park the car in the sun for a few days to make the film stick really well.

Quote:
c) It is a big hassle if we want to remove the film. I suppose it's useful life will be about four years. A lot of spraying / scraping will be required during removal, which may lead to all the problems mentioned in the quoted thread.
I don't think scraping should be a problem with 3M films. But I'm speaking out of short-term experience.

The biggest problem for me is quality of work. On cars with large, curved front glass, even a minor mistake by the installer means a huge waste of time and material at best and some visible streak marks especially in the direct vision area at worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
why cant car company provide cars with some basic tint in glass ?
Hardly 5% of people drive a non tinted car.
I think most do come with a 95% VLT built-in tint nowadays. It isn't enough for our summer conditions. Most people use 35% VLT or even less, which is illegal. So even if car manufacturers put darker tint in the factory, people will "upgrade". Secondly, the OEM tint shade may not be to everyone's liking.

Regards,
spadix
Old 7th July 2011, 22:08   #347
BHPian

Hi. Would anyone know of 3M distributor / auth dealer in Gurgaon / NCR. Query left on company's website has not yielded any response so far.

Also, any estimate of how much it should cost to film a Laura (CR 70 front, CS/RE 50 sides and rear) would be helpful.

Reliance quoted 34k plus for vkool premium range. Don't want to spend that much for sure.
Old 8th July 2011, 09:29   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Does it tend to come away at the corners? Park the car in the sun for a few days to make the film stick really well.
The installation is perfect, except for the small scratch mark caused by the MGP guy. But I remind them to be careful anyway.

BTW my film is Garware Icecool Shield.
Old 8th July 2011, 10:50   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred
Hi. Would anyone know of 3M distributor / auth dealer in Gurgaon / NCR. Query left on company's website has not yielded any response so far.
Give them a week or so. That's what happened in my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred
Also, any estimate of how much it should cost to film a Laura (CR 70 front, CS/RE 50 sides and rear) would be helpful.
For my Civic, CR70 (front) + RE35 (sides and rear) set me back by 11200 earlier this year. I could've gotten it done for 10k or even less at another (non-3M-authorized) dealer. By the way the latter's work is better, and he also gives the 3M guarantee card and bill, as I found to my detriment later. So shop around. For your Laura z quote of more than 11k should ring alarm bells. CS for sides and rear will be cheaper than RE, but RE is more effective.

@Gansan: I see. Yes, I've heard earlier on this thread that scraping off Garware is quite a pain.

Regards,
spadix
Old 8th July 2011, 11:32   #350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post

Reliance quoted 34k plus for vkool premium range. Don't want to spend that much for sure.
I have installed 3M sunfilms for my Laura. It set me back by about 23K for all six glass areas incl windshield. Transparent ones for the windshield and dark ones for the other glass areas. These are the top of the crystalline series sun films. The heat insulation properties of these sun films is amazing, even the transparent one. The cooling efficiency of the AC in much improved , even in the hot midday sun. Though pricey, I felt it was worth the one time cost.
Old 8th July 2011, 15:29   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I have installed 3M sunfilms for my Laura. It set me back by about 23K for all six glass areas incl windshield. Transparent ones for the windshield and dark ones for the other glass areas. These are the top of the crystalline series sun films. The heat insulation properties of these sun films is amazing, even the transparent one. The cooling efficiency of the AC in much improved , even in the hot midday sun. Though pricey, I felt it was worth the one time cost.

That's the first time i hear someone putting a transparent sunfilm and that too for the front glass. and 23K. OMG!

But i gotta say, that's an awesome idea indeed.
How about using a transparent sunscreen pasted from the outside?
I guess i would have had less scratched glasses at the end of few yrs of driving if i constantly change the film every 1-2yrs.

How is the night vision and head light glare with a sunfilm for the front glass. Any improvement or reduction?
Are these transparent one's made specifically for the front windshield?
Old 8th July 2011, 15:40   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post

I have installed RE-35 on 4 passenger side glass and rear windshield and it set me back by just Rs.4000. I was not ready to jeopardize the visibility by applying a sunfilm for front windsheild. But, may think of those transparent or very light shade ones in future that should not cost more than 5K-7K

Pardon my saying so, 23K or 34K is just too much money to be spending on an accessory like sunfilms

Do agree that sunfilms play a role in reducing the load on the AC compressor but, not an extent of that type of spending even if their heat rejection is 10-20% higher than the lesser priced ones.

With 3M installed in my car, AC at minimum temp becomes sometimes unbearable

just my two cents....
Old 8th July 2011, 16:27   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
That's the first time i hear someone putting a transparent sunfilm and that too for the front glass. and 23K. OMG!

But i gotta say, that's an awesome idea indeed.
How about using a transparent sunscreen pasted from the outside?
I guess i would have had less scratched glasses at the end of few yrs of driving if i constantly change the film every 1-2yrs.

How is the night vision and head light glare with a sunfilm for the front glass. Any improvement or reduction?
Are these transparent one's made specifically for the front windshield?
Yes, 23K for a set of sun films is a lot. I have been trying to erase this from my memory ever since.

The transparent films are specifically designed for the windshield. Actually by looking at it one cannot even say that there is a film installed. But the way it cuts heat is amazing. The windshield glass is the largest glass area and maximum solar radiation is from the front glass. They claim the sun film has 97% IR rejection. The cooling efficiency from the AC after fitting the sun film is almost as good during sunny days, as it is at night.

As far as night vision is concerned, since these are transparent, vision is not impaired at all. 3M claims glare reduction of upto 30% form the transparent films. I personally don't find any perceptible reduction in terms of glare.

As I said before, after the results I got from the product, I personally felt it was worth the one time expense.
Old 8th July 2011, 17:21   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, 23K for a set of sun films is a lot. I have been trying to erase this from my memory ever since.

The transparent films are specifically designed for the windshield. Actually by looking at it one cannot even say that there is a film installed. But the way it cuts heat is amazing. The windshield glass is the largest glass area and maximum solar radiation is from the front glass. They claim the sun film has 97% IR rejection. The cooling efficiency from the AC after fitting the sun film is almost as good during sunny days, as it is at night.

As far as night vision is concerned, since these are transparent, vision is not impaired at all. 3M claims glare reduction of upto 30% form the transparent films. I personally don't find any perceptible reduction in terms of glare.

As I said before, after the results I got from the product, I personally felt it was worth the one time expense.

I think you are talking about CR90 films - 3M's India website doesn't even mention those on their website, so I'm not sure they are widely available.

Though it will be hard for counterfeiters to copy this one (easier to tell its a copy and also hardly any market - so not worth their while)

They do cut heat, but less effectively than CR70 does (which in turn is less effective than CR50 and so on).
Old 8th July 2011, 19:40   #355
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I was not ready to jeopardize the visibility by applying a sunfilm for front windsheild. But, may think of those transparent or very light shade ones in future that should not cost more than 5K-7K
Mobike, I suggest you get 3M CR70 for your front screen and see the difference. Yes the headlights do seem slightly dimmer, but when I drive cars without film, my eyes feel a lot more strained with oncoming headlights. Also it really, really helps in heat reduction.
Old 9th July 2011, 01:06   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008
I was not ready to jeopardize the visibility by applying a sunfilm for front windsheild. But, may think of those transparent or very light shade ones in future that should not cost more than 5K-7K
Windshield films are limited to 70% VLT at the most. That's what I have and I wear with photochromic glasses as well. There is no difference at all to the visibility.

And yes, CR70 should cost not more than 6k for the Cruze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008
With 3M installed in my car, AC at minimum temp becomes sometimes unbearable
Put on front film and it'll become unbearable even at 24 degrees in the current climate. If I put the Civic's AC on Lo Auto my fingers freeze in seconds and I can't drive (found this to be the case even in the summer). Before putting on the film, 22 or less was the norm for us in monsoon weather. Now, it's 24 as I said (that too during the day).

Let's go out for a spin in BQ some day and you can get first-hand experience of the visibility and heat rejection.

Regards,
spadix
Old 9th July 2011, 13:51   #357
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Mobike, I suggest you get 3M CR70 for your front screen and see the difference. Yes the headlights do seem slightly dimmer, but when I drive cars without film, my eyes feel a lot more strained with oncoming headlights. Also it really, really helps in heat reduction.
Yup! I realize the importance of the front windshield screen. Will get them installed before the 2012 summers. I wouldnt need it until then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Let's go out for a spin in BQ some day and you can get first-hand experience of the visibility and heat rejection.
Yeah, it's pending from a long time. Lets do it next week for sure. Just holler/ping and we can catch up at Gate 2....preferably during the lunch hours.
Old 13th July 2011, 15:23   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedmisile View Post
Got RE-35 film installed in my polo today at Sri Balaji Agencies, Alwarpet. 4 Doors and rear wind screen in 2.5hrs. They charged me 3900/- all inclusive. Their works seems to be quite good. Will definitely recommend this place.
Hi misguidedmisile, I have a Pepper Grey Polo & yet to get a sunfilm as I'm unsure of the shade that I need. Do you think RE-35 would go well with a Pepper Grey? Your inputs are highly appreciated!
Old 15th July 2011, 11:54   #359
BHPian

@vw19d
Not seen a RE35 on a pepper grey polo but my neighbour's SX4 ( similar color) has RE35 and it does look good. Again looks are subjective. RE35 is a good film and most importantly very comfortable at night.
Old 17th July 2011, 21:47   #360

I have a red VW Vento and currently looking for sunfilms for it?

Is 3M RE35 match the colour of the car (Flash RED)? I live in bangalore. I heard that anything over 50% visibility for sides are not RTO approved. If that is the case, will there be any problem by installing RE35?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks