Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2012, 12:59   #1591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs
Hi,

I am planning for front windshield sun film for my i10. Advaith is quoting 6800 for 3M CR70. Is this the right price Advaith is quoting? Is there any other place in Bangalore I can get this done? Please suggest.
CR 70 should come between 5.5K to 6K in mission road. Usually Advaith charges more for add-ons.
Old 8th February 2012, 13:20   #1592
Senior - BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

If your car is under warranty, install the film from your HASS. It will help you avoid a lot of hassles later.
Old 8th February 2012, 13:40   #1593
BHPian

Thanks for the replies guys. I inquired about the prices in Reliance Autozone near HSR layout and they told that they don't have 3M but quoted 11k for VKool and 3.2k for llumnar.

My car is still under warranty and I am planning for extended warranty as well.

I have another clarification, does beige color of dash board of i10 reflect more if I install sun film for windshield? Anybody who has done sun film for front windshield, please suggest.

Which sun film would be better for i10? CR70 or CR40 or CR50? Advaith has only CR70 and on customers request they would source CR40 or CR50.
Old 8th February 2012, 13:44   #1594
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
If your car is under warranty, install the film from your HASS. It will help you avoid a lot of hassles later.
Please go through
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...anty-faqs.html

How can installing sunfilm of all things from outside possibly have anything to do with the warranty on the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post

Which sun film would be better for i10? CR70 or CR40 or CR50? Advaith has only CR70 and on customers request they would source CR40 or CR50.
I haven't heard good things about Reliance Autozones sunfilm installations. Just stick to an authorized dealer of 3M in your city. CR70 is the only legal CR sunfilm for the windscreen. The dashboard will probably be reflected a bit more. But the glare reduction and heat reduction will more than make up for that.
Old 8th February 2012, 13:57   #1595
Senior - BHPian

There have been cases where water seeped under the dash during the film install and the ECU / other electronics became toast. Do your home work and search relevant threads in TBHP.

If that happens, the A.S.S can wash their hands off and you will be staring at bills in excess of Rs 50K. So a difference of even a couple of thousands in the price of film, between the A.S.S. and outside, is not worth it.
Old 8th February 2012, 14:01   #1596
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There have been cases where water seeped under the dash during the film install and the ECU / other electronics became toast. Do your home work and search relevant threads in TBHP.
That has only happened in Swifts and possibly other Suzuki cars if I remember correctly. Please point me to a thread where it has happened in another vehicle.

That too only in a few Swifts, there are enough of Swifts running around with front windscreen sunfilm without any issues.

Thirdly if I remember correctly those Swift ECUs cost somewhere around 20k, and only much higher end cars ECUs cost 50k + but then again they don't have issues of water seeping under the dash.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 8th February 2012 at 14:02.
Old 8th February 2012, 14:08   #1597
Senior - BHPian

If there are sensitive electronics under the dash, and if they can go kaput due to water, why take the chance? Even assuming ECU costs only Rs 20K, is that small change? Remember, no car is 100% fool/water proof!

PS: I doubt your 20k estimate. Even the Alto ECU will cost in excess of Rs 35k, I think!
Old 8th February 2012, 14:13   #1598
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If there are sensitive electronics under the dash, and if they can go kaput due to water, why take the chance? Even assuming ECU costs only Rs 20K, is that small change? Remember, no car is 100% fool/water proof!

PS: I doubt your 20k estimate. Even the Alto ECU will cost in excess of Rs 35k, I think!
Its not taking a chance because it does not happen in any other car. Unless the installer literally throws water onto the dash. And also the ECU is inside a metal box and sealed with silicon, it was just a batch of cars which had that issue I guess because I haven't heard any more of those stories.

An ECU costing 1/10th of the car? I doubt.

Either way to me its wasting 1k+ to you its being cautious. Upto the person who is getting it done.
Old 8th February 2012, 14:34   #1599
Senior - BHPian

^^Right! His money, his choice!

@sabsubs
My advise will be not to install the windshield sun film. I have installed Garware Ice Cool Shield in my car and it is effective, but it is too much of a bother to maintain. There is some amount of reduction in vision under certain conditions. My car does not have biege interiors, but I feel the dash's reflection in the windshield is more sometimes. One must watch like a hawk during water wash, lest they damage the film while cleaning the interior! And to ensure they don't affix any "next service due" sticker inside the wind shield. Even the "PUC" sticker could not be affixed and I keep it inside the glove compartment. Moreover some films cost more than the windshield itself, but are not covered under insurance.

I wish I had not installed it!

BTW I got it done at the MASS!

Last edited by Gansan : 8th February 2012 at 14:39.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 14:35   #1600
Distinguished - BHPian

Any rough idea how much will 3M CR70 for alto cost?
Old 8th February 2012, 14:48   #1601
BHPian

I came to know from the guys at 3M ( RMV 2nd stage) that the price of front sunfilms is not size dependent. Meaning that the price is fixed for any type of vehicle be it an alto or a fortuner.

I got CR-70 installed on my Linea last Sunday and it costed me Rs 7750 which includes a 5 year warranty. Trust me, its totally worth it and with summer just about to begin, this is the perfect time to install them.
rohittunga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 15:14   #1602
Distinguished - BHPian

I was also looking for putting up 3M CR70, however for me heat reduction is not much of a concern. The main reason I was looking for a film was to reduce glare from vehicles in the night. Any suggestion regarding that.
Old 8th February 2012, 15:34   #1603
BHPian

@ Gansan,

Thanks for your reply. For close to 3 years I did not have this idea of installing sun film for windshield. I do lots of high way driving and that too during night times, the glare from vehicles coming from opposite direction is unbearable also during day time the heat is unbearable inside the car.

You are saying that Alto's dash reflection in the windshield is more, so i10's beige dash reflection would be even more. I need an opinion from i10 owners who have installed windshield sun film.

@ Rohittunga, very right, summer is about to begin and it would be good to have it installed.
Old 8th February 2012, 15:35   #1604
BHPian

I have used vkool70 on City and now 3m CR70 on Punto. From my experience, vkool-70 is comparatively good in reducing glare, but it costs double that of 3MCR70.
Old 8th February 2012, 17:13   #1605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Its not taking a chance because it does not happen in any other car. Unless the installer literally throws water onto the dash. And also the ECU is inside a metal box and sealed with silicon, it was just a batch of cars which had that issue I guess because I haven't heard any more of those stories.

An ECU costing 1/10th of the car? I doubt.

Either way to me its wasting 1k+ to you its being cautious. Upto the person who is getting it done.
Akshay do you know the reson that these happened with only Swifts or some other Suzuki cars? Inherent problem or installation gone wrong?

Asking as i am about to film up my new Swift

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks