Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2011, 11:57   #1486
Senior - BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

@Velmurugan
The price difference between Garware Icecool Shield and 3M CR70 is considerable. I fixed the former for my Alto @ Rs 3600.00 at MSM. The price quoted for CR 70 was Rs 6500.00.

I find a noticeable difference in cabin temperature post installation. Go back a few pages to read my experience. I was also quoted Rs 3000.00 for the same film by another dealer, but was worried about fakes, so went to my MASS. It is a one time expense, so no point in trying to save a few hundreds at the risk of getting fakes IMO.
Old 16th May 2011, 12:46   #1487
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Let me share my exp and suggestion of adding the Sunfilm. I had Garware IceCool installed in my car 2 yrs back. Last Thursday my friend took the car for a test drive to RTO. The inspector questioned him about the Film and asked him to remove immediately. Adding to that 3500/- fine or take the car to RTO office. We managed to escape only with removing the Film :( He forcefully said that we cant put any thing in front screen...
Suggestion is that:- When you buy a sunfilm make sure that they give some kind of approval from the company(3M/Garware). I had the product catalog at home not in car which say the approved product.

http://morth.nic.in/writereaddata/su...2608339380.pdf

Again may be it was my bad luck.
Sowmya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2011, 13:57   #1488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
Last Thursday my friend took the car for a test drive to RTO.
I don't get you. Why did he take it for a test drive there? Or was it for his driving test?
Old 16th May 2011, 14:21   #1489
BHPian

I am a user of 3M CR70 on the Skoda Laura and indeed there is a noticeable difference. So those among you sitting on the fence this summer i would recommend going for the film. However importance of a good/meticulous applicator cannot be overstated, else you end up with bubbles and scratches in your vision field.
Old 16th May 2011, 14:24   #1490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I don't get you. Why did he take it for a test drive there? Or was it for his driving test?
Yes. He took my car for his DL test.
Old 16th May 2011, 15:16   #1491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitm View Post
I am a user of 3M CR70 on the Skoda Laura and indeed there is a noticeable difference. So those among you sitting on the fence this summer i would recommend going for the film. However importance of a good/meticulous applicator cannot be overstated, else you end up with bubbles and scratches in your vision field.
BTW, where did you get it installed in Bangy? I searched them a lot and was not confident of those JC road folks to put sunfilms.
Old 16th May 2011, 15:18   #1492
BHPian

I used the services of 3M exclusive showroom in HSR layout.
Old 16th May 2011, 16:28   #1493
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
Let me share my exp and suggestion of adding the Sunfilm. I had Garware IceCool installed in my car 2 yrs back. Last Thursday my friend took the car for a test drive to RTO. The inspector questioned him about the Film and asked him to remove immediately. Adding to that 3500/- fine or take the car to RTO office. We managed to escape only with removing the Film :( He forcefully said that we cant put any thing in front screen...
Suggestion is that:- When you buy a sunfilm make sure that they give some kind of approval from the company(3M/Garware). I had the product catalog at home not in car which say the approved product.

http://morth.nic.in/writereaddata/su...2608339380.pdf

Again may be it was my bad luck.
Sowmya, The point "[2]" in the link provided clearly states that windshield visual light transmission is not less than 70% for the front and 50% for the sides. Where is the issue now?
Old 16th May 2011, 16:54   #1494
BHPian

I have the VK70 installed on the Safari and can tell you that its a blessing. The heat rejection actually helps in the A/C efficiency which was a big complaint I had during hot summer drives.

I recently did a 3200km trip through some of the hottest parts of the country and the film surely helped the a/c do its job better.

Not sure of the other products like the 3M or Garware, but the VK70 is quite good in terms of visibility and heat rejection. The only thing was it dug a deep hole of 12k in my pocket . The windows and the rear glass were done earlier for around 6k or so, dont remember which ones they were now.
Old 16th May 2011, 17:18   #1495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravananj View Post
Sowmya, The point "[2]" in the link provided clearly states that windshield visual light transmission is not less than 70% for the front and 50% for the sides. Where is the issue now?
Yes. It clearly says that. But the issue is the Inspector/RTO does not want to listen you. If you have a film, then its simply illegal

Thats why my suggestion was some thing like, Compliant card from the vendor that u can carry in your car with all the other docs
Sowmya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2011, 18:57   #1496
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. It clearly says that. But the issue is the Inspector/RTO does not want to listen you. If you have a film, then its simply illegal

Thats why my suggestion was some thing like, Compliant card from the vendor that u can carry in your car with all the other docs
The way these guys treat you is pathetic. They behave as though they are law unto themselves. Is there a chance you can file an RTI query on what happened. The reply might benefit others.
Old 16th May 2011, 22:17   #1497
Senior - BHPian

Indian RTO rules are archaic.
If I remember it correctly, probably the Inspector is correct. From what I remember the rule says that the front windshield should not have any film AND the front glass visibility should be at least 70% and side glass 50%.
Old 17th May 2011, 00:10   #1498
Senior - BHPian

While on this topic...
I have VKool on my Civic and Llumar AIR75 on the other car, which I am not happy with.
Heat rejection of VK is much better than LL.

I am thinking about adding 3M CR on top of Llumar on the windscreen. Will that be ok, or I must get the old film removed. I am not very keen on removing the old one as it will be messy and might scratch up the glass... please advice...
Old 17th May 2011, 00:15   #1499
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
I am thinking about adding 3M CR on top of Llumar on the windscreen. Will that be ok, or I must get the old film removed. I am not very keen on removing the old one as it will be messy and might scratch up the glass... please advice...
Get it removed or your visibility may drop. And at least on the windscreen IMO you need perfect visibility. Removing wont cause any problems or scratches and since its Llumar itll come out without much of an issue.
Old 17th May 2011, 00:27   #1500
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, May be you are right. May be I will leave as it is...

Don't want to remove a perfectly fine sunfilm. Wish 3M was available 4-5 years back, at that time there were no good alternatives to VKOOL.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks