Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2011, 12:49   #1411
BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

On a heavy rainy day in the night, without street lights.. how it will be to drive? does any one faced this scenario? These scenario is common in a state like kerala. Rain will be like a bucket of water on windshield some times..
Old 24th March 2011, 13:00   #1412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightening View Post
On a heavy rainy day in the night, without street lights.. how it will be to drive? does any one faced this scenario? These scenario is common in a state like kerala. Rain will be like a bucket of water on windshield some times..
^^^ The only solution I can say is drive slowly on such occassions. Even if your visibility is good, there are many hidden dangers when driving in heavy rain at night with no street lights.

I faced the above said problem when I had to drive from Cochin to Trivandrum once. It rained during my entire round trip and it was night.

The best part was that though there was some drop in visibility, I did not face any glare from oncoming traffic. But I drove slowly.

You never gain anything without compromising on something else.

Thanks,
Jose.
Old 25th March 2011, 16:16   #1413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Can anyone here please help me out.

I just got a quote of 4K for 3M RE50 sunfilm for the sides+rear for my Ford fusion. The guy is a trusted dealer here in Delhi so he is pretty authentic.
The price seems ok. I got RE35 installed on Manza at the same price in Chennai and heard that prices have increased a bit from March.
Old 31st March 2011, 18:38   #1414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightening View Post
Yes, it sounds like a typical rainy night in Kerala. I had a similar situation on tuesday night, on my way from EKM to Pala. Heavy rain and wind, with no street lights. The visibility was really low, but I kept on moving at a slow speed. I was not very comfortable to stop as the wind was really high and there were lots of trees in that area. Afterall the rubber trees are not as strong as their end products. Next day, the new paper came with a picture of a Maruti Swift being crushed by a fallen tree.

Driving is never easy when it is raining. And no two rainy nights are same. You have to use your own judgement when it comes to driving. Never drive if you are not confident. Go only as fast as you can see. Using fog lamps really helps. Make sure your fog lamps are lighting the road infront of you. (Focused / directed lower than your low beam)

Coming back to Sunfilms, do any of you guys have difficulty for using the ORVM at night, specially during reversing / parking? I recently got 3M films put on my side and rear glasses, but I am having second thougts about the driver side films. I think, I put too dark a flim. 35 or 40% visibility, I don't remember the numbers. I feel I should have gone for a lighter shade for the front side glasses.
Old 31st March 2011, 19:55   #1415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANUJ GEORGE View Post
Coming back to Sunfilms, do any of you guys have difficulty for using the ORVM at night, specially during reversing / parking? I recently got 3M films put on my side and rear glasses, but I am having second thougts about the driver side films. I think, I put too dark a flim. 35 or 40% visibility, I don't remember the numbers. I feel I should have gone for a lighter shade for the front side glasses.
Welcome to team-BHP Anuj George

Yes there is a difference in seeing thru the ORVM, with sun-film on the side glass. I was using the car without any sun-film for the first year, and the confidence level of reversing has gone little down after fixing the side/rear films (garware charcoal40)
Old 31st March 2011, 19:56   #1416
BHPian

^^^ I had 3M HP35 on my Getz and I did have some visibility issues on the right side OVRM. However, have 3M RE35 (similar VLT) on my current car but no issues with the visibility.

3M RE35 >> HP/CS 35 in terms of quality
Old 1st April 2011, 10:00   #1417
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Yes, I do have problems when using the ORVM since I have gone with a darker shade of films. My previous film was light was easy to see but didnt serve any purpose so went in for the darker shades.

See the difference in the pics
Attached Thumbnails
Front windscreen sunfilm?-36386_414478405944_701335944_4523583_603481_n.jpg  

Front windscreen sunfilm?-img00309201103261801.jpg  

Front windscreen sunfilm?-p1050318.jpg  

Last edited by naveen.raju : 1st April 2011 at 10:04.
Old 1st April 2011, 11:14   #1418
BHPian

That is a really dark shade you got there. Did you really feel the difference in temperature after changing to the darker shade? For some reasons, I am still not convinced that using darker shades on the side glasses can reduce the temperature that much. The darker shades on the side glasses can help in the evening / morning when the sun is not straight up.

BTW, the Swift looks cool with those shades.
Old 1st April 2011, 13:40   #1419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is a really dark shade you got there. Did you really feel the difference in temperature after changing to the darker shade? For some reasons, I am still not convinced that using darker shades on the side glasses can reduce the temperature that much. The darker shades on the side glasses can help in the evening / morning when the sun is not straight up.

BTW, the Swift looks cool with those shades.
I can definitely feel the difference now. I usually park my car outside in the sun when am at office. Before, I couldnt get inside the car and I used to keep the AC at the max. Now after going for darker shades and front sun films, there is a considerable rejection of heat. The max I have kept the AC is at the second position now. But night drive is hard. No problems with visibility cut on the front sun film though.

Hey, thanks for the comments
Old 1st April 2011, 18:00   #1420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
But night drive is hard. No problems with visibility cut on the front sun film though.
Hey Naveen, could you please let us know the night drive have become hard because of the front sunflims or the ones on the side and rear.
Old 1st April 2011, 19:58   #1421
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Hey Naveen, could you please let us know the night drive have become hard because of the front sunflims or the ones on the side and rear.
Nothing to do with the front sun films. It's basically the side ones.
If you really want to cut the heat and want the looks, then go for these else stick with the lighter shade.

No issues with the front films though. Doing a great job.
Old 3rd April 2011, 19:46   #1422
BHPian

Recently installed "Garware Fronty 70" sun film on my OHC. Definitely there is a significant reduction in the heat radiation. Moreover, the glare has reduced and its more comfortable to drive esp when sun is blazing on windshield. Double reduction (Polaroid sun glasses and anti-glare film). Nights, I dont see much of the difference / difficulty in viewing. At least in city driving. Need to test on highways as speeds vary.

Total cost is INR 1500 with installation and guy came to my apartment to do that too.

Thanks,
Raghu Lakshman
Old 4th April 2011, 11:19   #1423
BHPian

Cochin/Tcr Guys,

Can someone recommend a good intaller for Garware Icecool shield in Thrissur? Day driving is becoming so difficult these times. What can be the expected price?

Regards
Old 4th April 2011, 13:18   #1424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Cochin/Tcr Guys,

Can someone recommend a good intaller for Garware Icecool shield in Thrissur? Day driving is becoming so difficult these times. What can be the expected price?

Regards
There's one dealer at Ernakulam North who is into Garware.
Old 4th April 2011, 15:20   #1425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Cochin/Tcr Guys,

Regards
It will cost you Rs 3000/- It prevents the car's interior from heating up too much also.
I have it on my car:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks