Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2011, 20:28   #1306
BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
Has anyone got the V-Kool clear film installed recently on a car like i20? I got a quote of 13500 for the front windshield alone for the VK70 and 11800 for VK75. I am planning to get it installed on my i20 before the summer and wanted to confirm if the prices quoted looked reasonable or just too high.

Also the Hyundai service center which has 3M tie up has quoted 6500 for CR70.
I would really appreciate if someone who has got these installed recently can comment on the price quotes.
Got vk70 on my City, for little less than 12000, in May'2010. Is this the price quoted by Vkool directly? CR70 was quoted for same price(6500) that time..
Old 18th February 2011, 20:43   #1307
BHPian

Hi there, is it legal to have sunfilms put on the front windshield? I mean isn't there a law that stipulates keeping the visibility factor of the occupants inside? Please reply
Old 18th February 2011, 21:20   #1308
BHPian

^^^AFAIK, 70% Visible Light Transmission for front/rear is within legal limit
Old 18th February 2011, 22:19   #1309
BHPian

Thanks Twiny! So the quotes I have received looks to be reasonable. Now I need to decide on which one to go with. There is quite some difference between the two. Any suggestions guys?

One more question guys, I might sound stupid, but still. Will the film get peeled off everytime the service center guys remove and apply the service stickers and also if I want remove my company/residential parking stickers? Comments from people who have installed the film will be really useful.

@saurabhkanchan, the two models I have coated are of 'clear' type and there won't be any visual difference, just that they will help in reducing the heat inside. I think the technicals are explained earlier in this thread.
Old 18th February 2011, 22:30   #1310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanz View Post
I have received a quote for Garware Icecool Shield @ 3500. Is this reasonable?
I have Garware International on the side windows, however it is not sufficient. Which film do you recommend for the side windows?
icemanz, which type of Icecool Shield did you check? And for which car? Around 6 months back, I had installed Garware Icecool Shield with 70% VLT in my M800 for Rs. 3000. There is another variant of Icecool Shield with 100% visibility costing Rs. 2000.

Which shop in Cochin did you check the rates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
^^^AFAIK, 70% Visible Light Transmission for front/rear is within legal limit
This is correct. Anything lesser than this amount will serioulsy affect the driving conditions especially while driving at night during rains.

Thanks,
Jose.
Old 18th February 2011, 23:34   #1311
BHPian

moderator please delete this post

Last edited by stefanm : 19th February 2011 at 00:13.
Old 18th February 2011, 23:53   #1312
BHPian

Nagarjun, if you have RFID tags/ using GPS, fixing vkool might be an issue.
Give clear instruction each time, not to put service reminder stickers on the windshield.
I have put my apartment/company stickers on the Sun-Visor.. advantage of this is if one doesn't want to show those parking stickers, just need to tilt the sun-visor.
Old 19th February 2011, 00:24   #1313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanm View Post
70% on the front doesn't make sense, think of the safety aspect 70% on your front screen is both stupid and dangerous (maybe that explains why so many drivers have the high beams on constantly at night) your reducing you vision by 30%, I thought 70% was the maximum permited by law on the sides and back, this is what I had researched almost 3 years back, I had put Ice cool shield on the front which gave 95%vlt as far as I remember and had no problems with night vision, with 70% on the front you will be asking for trouble.

Cheers,

Stefan
Sides I believe its 50%.

My 9months experience with vk70 which has 70% VLT.... Every month I do to&fro Bangalore-Cochin (9-10hrs) during night. Using stock wattage bulbs and diligent usage of high beams. Also fog lights are rarely used... on need basis.
Old 19th February 2011, 07:57   #1314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
Sides I believe its 50%.
IIRC, the permitted legal limit is 70% VLT for the front windshield films and 50% VLT for sides and rear.

Thanks,
Jose.
Old 19th February 2011, 13:02   #1315
BHPian

Gras impex - Mumbai gave me quote and recommendation for my i20.Llumar Films4 sides and back: Steel 50 SR: Rs. 4250/-Features as per catalog: 55% visible light transmission, 8% visible light reflected, 99% UV rejection, 44% total solar energy rejected.for Front: PP 70 SR: Rs. 4050/-Features: 70% light transmittance, 16% light reflected, 99% UV rejection, 33% solar energy rejected, 76% infra red heat rejected.Total cost: Rs. 8300/-Team, please comment and let me know if I should go ahead and purchase.dealer says above films are RTO approved. How can I be sure?
Old 19th February 2011, 15:57   #1316
BHPian

the R T O doesnt approve of any film on the front wind shield whatever anyone may say and the side window glasses and rear glass the approval is 50 no .
Old 19th February 2011, 16:08   #1317
BHPian

ok. so does that mean Llumar Steel 50 SR with light transmission of 55% should be legal?

Also, can someone suggest an authorized dealer in south bombay (between colaba and worli)

Last edited by Yashodeep : 19th February 2011 at 16:15. Reason: error in interpretation of previous response
Old 20th February 2011, 17:10   #1318
BHPian

Hello All,

I have a few questions about the sun control strip that I see on many cars here in bangalore. I am referring to the 4-6 inch strip on top of the front wind shield.

1. Is it legal to sport it..?
2. I am assuming that it helps a lot in early morning / early evening drives, when the sun is just in that range of your windsiled. Agreed that there is visor provided in the car, but somehow, i feel they are not enough. Is my assumption correct..?
3. Any suggestions on some good brands that are avilable in the market? I would prefer the kind of film which in which the transperency increases as the film goes down. (hope i put it correctly).

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st February 2011, 00:44   #1319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
icemanz, which type of Icecool Shield did you check? And for which car? Around 6 months back, I had installed Garware Icecool Shield with 70% VLT in my M800 for Rs. 3000. There is another variant of Icecool Shield with 100% visibility costing Rs. 2000.

Which shop in Cochin did you check the rates?

Jose.
Hi Jose, my car is Verna CRDI and the quote was for Icecool Shield with VLT 70%. I checked the price at Veilside at Palarivattom-Edappaly bypass.

They also have LLumar, however the Llumar car packs looked fake to me.
Old 21st February 2011, 01:42   #1320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashodeep View Post
Gras impex - Mumbai gave me quote and recommendation for my i20.Llumar Films4 sides and back: Steel 50 SR: Rs. 4250/-Features as per catalog: 55% visible light transmission, 8% visible light reflected, 99% UV rejection, 44% total solar energy rejected.for Front: PP 70 SR: Rs. 4050/-Features: 70% light transmittance, 16% light reflected, 99% UV rejection, 33% solar energy rejected, 76% infra red heat rejected.Total cost: Rs. 8300/-Team, please comment and let me know if I should go ahead and purchase.dealer says above films are RTO approved. How can I be sure?
Yashdeep, I put LLumar on my windscreen, and I find that the heat reduction is not good. The windscreen still gets hot, I still feel the heat on my hands when driving, especially in the afternoons. I strongly suggest you check both Vcool and LLumar against the halogen lights, and then make a decision. If I had a chance, I would go with Vcool on my front windscreen. Its the only one which really helps cut the heat. But, please test and decide for yourself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks