Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2012, 19:36   #1621
Senior - BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

I was referring to the Polaroid brand. Specifically, their anti-glare glasses meant for riding / driving.

Last edited by Gansan : 16th February 2012 at 19:39.
Old 17th February 2012, 10:52   #1622

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

Is 20K a bit steep even for 3M? I was under impression that it will cost in 10-11k range.
Suhas, sure its very steep. I however feel that its completely justified for the kind of comfort you get out of it.
All I can say is I'm mighty impressed.
By the way, 3M service stations have a fixed pricing for the front windshield - Be it a Rover or a Reva, it costs ~Rs.7,800. Plus I was charged after measuring the rest of the glass area.
I agree I couldn't get to know the logic behind the flat rates for the front windshield. I overlooked the whole installation and found that they install everything from a roll, not from a specific cut size film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Me too, for my new Polo, at the 3m centre in Chennai.

I wanted the impossible: sun film that I can't see! I'm hoping, though, that the 30% cut will take the edge off the brightness. Also, the heat reduction is much less than with the denser films. Glad to know that you are finding it sufficient.

Mine was done yesterday. So far, its only test has been the drive home in the dark, and I can confirm that night vision is not affected at all.

By the way: we were told not to raise or lower the side windows for two days, to allow the film to achieve maximum adhesion. They even put a strip of masking tape over the switches to forcibly remind us!

Very steep ...but true for the CR range. Worse, in fact: cost for our polo was over 7,000 for the windscreen and over 15,000 for the other windows, all plus VAT, so more like 25,000.
Thad, yes I was told not to slide the windows for 3 days - fact that the installation is done using soap water, they want to make sure that any water left between the film and the glass evaporates out, for best adhesion. Best if mostly parked in hot sun

I'm just wondering if the film would be scratched from regular cleaning.
Old 18th February 2012, 19:03   #1623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Its not taking a chance because it does not happen in any other car. Unless the installer literally throws water onto the dash. And also the ECU is inside a metal box and sealed with silicon, it was just a batch of cars which had that issue I guess because I haven't heard any more of those stories.

An ECU costing 1/10th of the car? I doubt.

Either way to me its wasting 1k+ to you its being cautious. Upto the person who is getting it done.
I applied VKool70 onto my Scorpio's windshield last Saturday and started having problems after driving the vehicle for a while. Upon switching off the headlamps I'd get a rapid blinking of all dashboard and parking lights accompanied by a rapid relay clicking below the steering column. It did not matter whether engine was on or off. I tried operating all switches, lock unlock etc to no avail. Finally I disconnected the battery and kept overnight. By morning all was okay when I re-connected it back.

So it appears that water probably got into the rain and light sensor and caused the Diwali display. I will still not get this done at the ASC due to higher charges, but one can sure take some precautions. Possibly cover the dash with newspaper stuck with cellotape and seal any sensor gaps on the windscreen like the rain and light sensor behind the IRVM with cellotape temporarily.
Old 19th February 2012, 00:22   #1624
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtejasd View Post
Thad, yes I was told not to slide the windows for 3 days - fact that the installation is done using soap water, they want to make sure that any water left between the film and the glass evaporates out, for best adhesion. Best if mostly parked in hot sun

I'm just wondering if the film would be scratched from regular cleaning.
They told me that sunshine helps, but Chennai was hot enough even without leaving it in the sun!

As to scratching, I think that is going to depend on what it is cleaned with. I have a cream cleaner by Auto Glym, from UK, expensive but good ---but any creme cleaner is going to have a proportion of cleaning by abrasion. Might be best to only use it on the outside, and use a liquid on the inside.

It's only smokers who get the inside glass greasy/oily/dirty really quickly.
Old 19th February 2012, 00:33   #1625
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moinakg View Post

So it appears that water probably got into the rain and light sensor and caused the Diwali display. I will still not get this done at the ASC due to higher charges, but one can sure take some precautions. Possibly cover the dash with newspaper stuck with cellotape and seal any sensor gaps on the windscreen like the rain and light sensor behind the IRVM with cellotape temporarily.
That is most likely the culprit, since it probably it not sealed that well. Don't think the news paper with cellotape, you might leave marks on the dash later on or even a sticky residue. A few normal cloths would be better since they would absorb the water better too.

Quote:
They told me that sunshine helps, but Chennai was hot enough even without leaving it in the sun!

As to scratching, I think that is going to depend on what it is cleaned with. I have a cream cleaner by Auto Glym, from UK, expensive but good ---but any creme cleaner is going to have a proportion of cleaning by abrasion. Might be best to only use it on the outside, and use a liquid on the inside.
They say to only use a normal wet cloth if anything to clean, and no soapy solution etc. But I found using Colin helped a bit and cleaned it well. Otherwise even a normal dry cloth does a good job.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:26   #1626
Senior - BHPian

Folks got a quote for my new safari, llumar50 for all glasses including front ws at 6k, is it a good deal and does llumar50 work well on the front ws?
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:34   #1627
Distinguished - BHPian

@Lohith, isnt 50 on the dark side for front ? And is it 6k for all glasses together ? (I dont think so)
Old 23rd February 2012, 13:14   #1628
Senior - BHPian

Yes, 6k inclusive of front WS, on 50 being dark yes this is a concern area and in most case i wont go for it. anything else which fits the bill here?
am not looking at expensive options here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Lohith, isnt 50 on the dark side for front ? And is it 6k for all glasses together ? (I dont think so)
Old 23rd February 2012, 13:18   #1629
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I wanted the impossible: sun film that I can't see! I'm hoping, though, that the 30% cut will take the edge off the brightness. Also, the heat reduction is much less than with the denser films. Glad to know that you are finding it sufficient.

Mine was done yesterday. So far, its only test has been the drive home in the dark, and I can confirm that night vision is not affected at all.
That was 3m CR70, just to remind.

First day out in the sun, although temperatures here are only around 31 as yet.

Doubtless, a darker film would be cooler, but the CR70 seems pretty good.

On the negative side, there is more internal reflection than I would have liked. I'm very glad I specified to 3m CarCare no gloss or wet-look polish on dashboard. Previously, I did not have film on the windscreen of the Swift, so have nothing to compare to.

I didn't realise, but the pair of sunglasses that I keep in the car are polarising. I could see the interference pattern in the Polo rear screen (not enough to affect driving) and checked by rotating a calculator. Probably I'll just wear them on sunny days, which is most days in Chennai.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 23rd February 2012 at 13:20.
Old 23rd February 2012, 13:58   #1630
BHPian

I got llumar AIR75 installed on the front screen for 6300/- and 3M RE-50 all over else for 3500/-.
Old 24th February 2012, 03:29   #1631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushantV View Post
I got llumar AIR75 installed on the front screen for 6300/- and 3M RE-50 all over else for 3500/-.
Can you tell me where in Gurgaon you got this done? Any pics and for which car.
Old 24th February 2012, 07:32   #1632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem

Can you tell me where in Gurgaon you got this done? Any pics and for which car.
I got the 3M done from the dealer from whom I bought my car (Harpreet Ford) and the llumar was done at Reliance Autozone in Ambience Mall.

The car is Ford Figo.
Old 24th February 2012, 09:12   #1633
BHPian

Hi,

I am planning to get Blaupunkt spf g series put all across. Any feedback from existing users? Price quoted is Rs. 6200/- for G20 sides and back and G70 for front.

Nikhil
Old 27th February 2012, 20:45   #1634
BHPian

Guys, I received the following quote from Jeewajee Car Decors for my Dzire,

Garware Ice cool Shield for front (VLT 70/80 with 50/45% Heat rejection) - 3750
Garware Ice cool Elite package for rear and sides (VLT for back- 70, Sides-50) - 8900

Do you think this is reasonable? Should I haggle more for discount?
cruiser_1982 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 23:14   #1635
BHPian

Sharing my experience. I got my Xylo in June'10 and had Garware installed from an accessory shop. The windows and rear windshield were done for Rs.1200/-; I remember selecting 1 shade darker than 'RTO'; - not that bad for the price. An incident not hard to forget, but no action taken yet : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2057009

Initially, I wasn't in favor of putting film on front windshield but still asked the prices - VKool (at an authorized store) for Rs.6500, Garware Ice-Cool (remember some 20% reduction one) for Rs.1800/-, Llumar was Rs.2500 and 3M at Rs.3500. I selected the Garware one thinking of the cheapest and something better than nothing! The front one is surely not good enough in preventing heat, some reflection, and over the period of time have developed lot of swirl marks and spots. Not a priority, but at a later date, I would get the front one removed (carefully) and get something like Llumar / 3M.

OT: I had read on this forum about some films containing 'metal' and may interfere with radio or esp GPS signal reception in the cabin.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks