Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2018, 18:15   #481
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Most durable wax I have encountered - Collinite 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
As far as I have seen, it aids.
Oh well, it's a case of YMMV I guess, but I wouldn't use it since it's been specifically mentioned as unsuitable for glass. There are other products like RainX for this purpose.

Quote:
Is it a combo of rubbing compound, and Polish ? I was thinking of getting Fleetwax Cleaner because there was a minor paint job done at Maruti dealer and as expected they did not polish the areas where new paint was sprayed. So, when I touch those spots it feels rough. Wanted to smoothen and even it out.
This seems like a mild polish and wax. So usage on dark colours shouldn't be an issue otherwise they'd have mentioned it. Just be sure your newly painted panel has fully cured before attempting this. That roughness may have been caused by paint over-spray. This isn't a big issue, some polish and wax should get rid of it. But I would recommend using a rotary/DA polisher so that it treats the surface evenly.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 18:40   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
This seems like a mild polish and wax. So usage on dark colours shouldn't be an issue otherwise they'd have mentioned it. Just be sure your newly painted panel has fully cured before attempting this. That roughness may have been caused by paint over-spray. This isn't a big issue, some polish and wax should get rid of it. But I would recommend using a rotary/DA polisher so that it treats the surface evenly.
R2D2 - Got this baby delivered at my home today.

Most durable wax I have encountered - Collinite 845-c325.jpg

The part that is going to be challenging is the post cleanup waxing. I don't have orb and don't want the usual detailers use their unwashed pads used for Turtle Wax, Formula One stuff etc. (no offense meant to aficionado's of those brands), so its going to be I, Me and Myself.

Got the 476s and 885 tubs. Will try to heat them to gel consistency before applying. Gym schedule cancelled until then.
prithm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 19:00   #483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
R2D2 - Got this baby delivered at my home today.

The part that is going to be challenging is the post cleanup waxing. I don't have orb and don't want the usual detailers use their unwashed pads used for Turtle Wax, Formula One stuff etc. (no offense meant to aficionado's of those brands), so its going to be I, Me and Myself.
Nice! I haven't got one of these yet. Where did you buy it and the 885 from? Use clean waxing pads for this stuff. Buy new ones if required, they are inexpensive.

Quote:
Got the 476s and 885 tubs. Will try to heat them to gel consistency before applying. Gym schedule cancelled until then.
Please do NOT heat those wax tins to melt the contents to a gel like consistency. Heat can evaporate volatile compounds and chemicals. These are paste waxes and should remain in that form. Hard to rub off but then you already knew that before purchase, didn't you?

Only liquid wax like C845 can be put in warm water to melt it in cold weather. Guess you won't see too much of that in Chennai.

So, to make it easier just use a VERY, VERY thin layer, wait for it to glaze a bit and immediately wipe/buff off. Do not leave it longer than necessary otherwise you can forget about the gym for an even longer time. It's tougher when you use 476s compared to 845 or 915.

Last edited by R2D2 : 13th March 2018 at 19:04.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 19:26   #484
BANNED

Quote:
Got the 476s . Gym schedule cancelled until then.
The 476 is indeed the most durable wax one can come across and if you want to properly apply 476 with your hands (No machine application), then you definitely need to cancel not just gym, but all the schedules for the day.
VKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 20:01   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Nice! I haven't got one of these yet. Where did you buy it and the 885 from?
Bringingbest folks. 325 from greenzcarcare.

Most durable wax I have encountered - Collinite 845-cbros.jpg

Quote:
Heat can evaporate volatile compounds and chemicals. These are paste waxes and should remain in that form. Hard to rub off but then you already knew that before purchase, didn't you?
You are right about the VOC's. One time I left entire tub in bright sunlight while I was cleaning the car in shade. With the lid on off course. It was tad easy to pick up in the application sponge and spread on the surface. But when it cools, the drill work starts. Yes. I whole heartedly entered into this union fully knowing the consequences.

Quote:
Only liquid wax like C845 can be put in warm water to melt it in cold weather. Guess you won't see too much of that in Chennai.
Yes. But when I store it in my tool shelf (plywood), the internal temperature makes these stuff hard. Let me check on the tubs though.

Quote:
Do not leave it longer than necessary otherwise you can forget about the gym for an even longer time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
The 476 is indeed the most durable wax one can come across and if you want to properly apply 476 with your hands (No machine application), then you definitely need to cancel not just gym, but all the schedules for the day.
I tried 476 only once till date and when I did that, I made sure the car surface was warm (just as a crazy idea after reading that it is the toughest of the range). It was easy to spread and my smile was growing as time progressed. But then the surface cooled and then came the half day of Sensei Miyagi's Exercise. "Wax On, Wax Off". I will never forget the emotional hurt.
prithm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 21:31   #486
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bringingbest folks. 325 from greenzcarcare.
Yeah, I got my stuff from Greenz but must try for the Fleetwax and Cleaner wax from Bringing Best.

Quote:
It was tad easy to pick up in the application sponge and spread on the surface. But when it cools, the drill work starts.
You may have seen an oily emulsion, well those are the inorganic/organic constituents of the wax (I call them oils for simplicity sake) that separate in the heat. The problem is that once it is in this shape/form applying may sound easy but you dab on more of the 'oils' than the Carnauba or other 'waxy' constituent. The wax cools down and unfortunately it doesn't reconstitute back into the same wax with uniformly distributed constituents as it was before it melted. You may have seen waxes melted into a gooey mess. Well, not to worry mate! There is a way to set it back in order :

Take a look see: Repouring auto wax

I followed that process with a messy tin of Megs Gold Class Carnauba and can tell you it works 100%. No deterioration in the performance from what I noticed after applying a thin coat to my car as a test. But just go easy with the heat at all times. These products do not like being heated. Wish I could get a few tins of that darned Megs M16 SunnyBoi seemed to get it from someplace.

Quote:
..then the surface cooled and then came the half day of Sensei Miyagi's Exercise. "Wax On, Wax Off". I will never forget the emotional hurt.
Yeah, always wax when the surface is cool and never in direct sunlight.

PS - I just remembered having bought 2 more Collinite goodies - 850 (Metal wax) and 855 (Leather and Vinyl wax) a couple of years ago from Greenz

Last edited by R2D2 : 13th March 2018 at 21:50. Reason: typo and PS
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 01:05   #487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Gym schedule cancelled until then.
Quote:
Do not leave it longer than necessary otherwise you can forget about the gym for an even longer time. It's tougher when you use 476s compared to 845 or 915.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Quote:
But then the surface cooled and then came the half day of Sensei Miyagi's Exercise. "Wax On, Wax Off". I will never forget the emotional hurt.
ROFL.

I haven't tried the 476 yet, but have an interesting incident to share. A friend new to the world of waxes got this very enthusiastically from US. He has never used any wax, this was his first ever. The last I heard from him, the wax had hardened up so much that he was using petrol to remove it, and he has decided to give me the 476 for free.

Waiting for that auspicious day!!

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 10:59   #488
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
A friend new to the world of waxes got this very enthusiastically from US. He has never used any wax, this was his first ever.
A noob buying Collinite 476s is like a first time dog owner buying a Rottweiler or a Cane Corso. Not advisable at all and it isn't a joke!

For those who watched GOT, the Cane Corso is one of the breeds of dogs kept in those dungeons (other is the Presa Canario) that eat Ramsey Bolton (and several others) alive. Yeah, they can be deadly but like all large Mastiff/Molosser breeds they need a dog owner who can train and control them from their puppy days. Otherwise they could be trouble. My brother almost bought a Presa but his wife put her foot down.

Last edited by R2D2 : 14th March 2018 at 11:06.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 11:49   #489
BHPian

I cannot feel my right wrist, forearm, bicep and shoulder. Kindly pardon for any typograpical errors.

This has been due for sometime now since my last update and today thought I should dive all in.

Yesterday did a 400+ Kms circuit through 40C Sun and came back home safe and sound. So, today morning wanted to thank my car with a TLC using C325 and C476s.

Dusty and Smeared with a gift from an avian friend.

Most durable wax I have encountered - Collinite 845-img_20180401_073531.jpg

Fine dust all across.

Most durable wax I have encountered - Collinite 845-img_20180401_073559.jpg

Strokes of Genius Street Picasso.

Most durable wax I have encountered - Collinite 845-img_20180401_073614.jpg

Washed, dried and thin layer of C325.

Most durable wax I have encountered - Collinite 845-img_20180401_081914.jpg

After 2 hours of non stop C325+C476s work.(by hand)

Most durable wax I have encountered - Collinite 845-img_20180401_085655.jpg

The Derierre.

Most durable wax I have encountered - Collinite 845-img_20180401_085730.jpg

No swirls.

Most durable wax I have encountered - Collinite 845-img_20180401_085745.jpg

Satisfying reflections.

Most durable wax I have encountered - Collinite 845-img_20180401_085812.jpg

Every pain vanishes when the grains show under a glassy layer.

Most durable wax I have encountered - Collinite 845-img_20180401_0933461.jpg

Came back into my home thinking I deserved a family pack Hyderabadi biriyani, only to have my dream crushed by my parents who said its auspicious day and only veggies.
prithm is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 20:54   #490
BHPian

Its been almost 26 days since my last car wash and thought I can blow off some steam by cleaning it after office hours today.

Thought 476s will be the worthy foe of choice for today and started regular wash and wax cycle.

Learnt an amazing lesson.

Temperature here in Hyd is hovering at 40 C and about 35 in shade. And I started with a bucket of water from my bathroom with oodles of soap liquid. The first bucket wash did nothing, but the second bucket is what caught me off guard.

I filled it from garden tap in my apartment and it was uncomfortably warm. This I did not notice and was concentrating on removing the suds off the body. It raised the temperature of car body significantly and it caught me unaware.

I dipped the foam applicator in same water and swirled 476s from tub. Very very wrong move.

Due to poor lighting, I did not see that the already buttery soft wax was now like Mayonaisse (due to warm foam) and when it touched the car surface, it easily spread. I congratulated myself for finding myself a worthy activity during lull periods of office work and finished entire application in under 15 minutes.

While I was talking to a colleague over the phone, strong gusts of evening wind reduced the temperature in my cellar parking significantly that the wax now coalesced on the surface. Since lighting was not that good, I did not observe that the wax was actually eating away the foam pad as I applied.

It then dawned on me that I made the biggest mistake of not observing properly. Took me a solid 60 minutes to rub every nook and corner of the car surface and severe dehydration followed.

This pic summarizes today's battle.

Most durable wax I have encountered - Collinite 845-foamshredded.jpg

Collinite family of waxes actually teach you so many subtle lessons in life.

1. Thou shalt not be overzealous. You overdo anything with me, I shall take the pleasure off your life.

2. Thou shalt not be careless when applying me on your car body. Apply me on matte surface, I shall stay there as a reminder for rest of your life.

3. Thou shalt consider every environmental parameter before using me. In summer I shall dehydrate you, in winter I shall cause you cramps.

4. Thou shalt mind your manners after you find fault in your action. I shall not be responsible for bad words you shall use for yourself.
prithm is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 20:45   #491
BHPian

Are you guys even looking in Amazon for the range of Collinite products that are being sold at amazing discounted price ?

18 oz tubs now available for 885 & Double coat. Those with extra few bucks in their pocket this month, don't miss.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 21:56   #492
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are you guys even looking in Amazon for the range of Collinite products that are being sold at amazing discounted price ?

18 oz tubs now available for 885 & Double coat. Those with extra few bucks in their pocket this month, don't miss.
This is Amazon US or India? I couldn't see anything on the India site. I'm probably missing something.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 22:11   #493
BHPian

Quote:
This is Amazon US or India? I couldn't see anything on the India site. I'm probably missing something.
Check through Amazon app R2D2-san. Import fulfilled by Amazon themselves. Just search Collinite in app. You will get these.

Most durable wax I have encountered - Collinite 845-screenshot_201805152203212.png

Most durable wax I have encountered - Collinite 845-screenshot_201805152202542.png

Most durable wax I have encountered - Collinite 845-screenshot_201805152204082.png

Most durable wax I have encountered - Collinite 845-screenshot_201805152202322.png

Most durable wax I have encountered - Collinite 845-screenshot_201805152202482.png

Most durable wax I have encountered - Collinite 845-screenshot_201805152202422.png
prithm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 00:26   #494
BHPian

I have a noob question, since 845 is a Wax Sealant, do we wax the car 1st and then appy 845 or the other way around. Also, since 845 lasts for a very long time, do you use other wax in between to get glossy look?
Old 11th September 2018, 00:38   #495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
I have a noob question, since 845 is a Wax Sealant, do we wax the car 1st and then appy 845 or the other way around. Also, since 845 lasts for a very long time, do you use other wax in between to get glossy look?
Nothing under C845 except some glaze, if you wish to hide the minute imperfections.
C845 coated car can be topped up periodically using any spray wax.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks